Novato, CA
Stafford Lake County Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #15 (Taken 7/2014)

Overrated

1    7/17/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: CptSaveAPar
This review was updated on 12/29/2011
Pros: There is beautiful scenery throughout and you have views of Stafford Lake from almost everywhere on the course. Some very interesting holes and right from the get go too. #1 goes steeply up the side of the hill and is unlike anything I have played. #6 must be the signature hole with epic views of the lake, and the 1000+ ft par 5 9th is without a doubt the longest hole I have played. Tee pads were solid and I liked the fact that even on a weekend during the summer it wasn't crowded at all.
Cons: This is the 1st time I've had to pay to play and it was 10$ on a Sunday. The wind was fierce when played, and being so near the ocean I'd imagine there is some sort of breeze to deal with most of the time. 2' weeds are everywhere out here so it's just a matter of time before your searching for a disc. Poison oak is never fun to get, and there was a LOT of that out there as well. The washer system for pin locations was wrong on most holes when visited so we had to spend extra time searching for baskets. Due to the number of blind shots and the high weeds I'd definitely recommend you play this course with a spotter.
Other Thoughts: I chose to play here instead of others when in the Bay because this course was so highly reviewed. After playing, there is no doubt in my opinion that this course is overrated. I would however, like to see this place during the spring, when everything is green and the weeds are down. As played, I stand by my rating.

Nor-Cal's Finest

5+    4/10/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: BENFTS
Pros: Amazing views of the surrounding foothills and lake coupled with the seclusion from the masses are my top pros for this course. Some of the best shots in nor cal disc golf, ranging from some small downhill drives to long bombs. Tons of elevation to play with allowing for tons of angles to approach. Despite the big elevation changes the fast greens seen at De La are not here. Great signage with overhead views, basket and tee indicators. The newer concrete teepads are massive and more than accommodating. Never crowded and tons of fun.
Cons: Pay to play, only because the vast majority of DG is free. The long hike to get to the first tee from the parking lot and the additional weight in water you need to pack in the summer. Sure there is poison oak out here but keep it in the fairway and you have nothing to worry about. Most of the PO is not too thick and will allow you to get a disc with stick if needed.
Other Thoughts: I love this course because it is simply just perfect for the place it is in and the fun I have being there playing it. I would say this is some of the best disc golf out there not the best but hard to even think of forgetting. Leaving the course I really wish it had a true tunnel shot to complete this course but I am not complaining.

Terrain course

1    2/27/2011   3/30/2011
Review By: tehrain
Pros: Huge terrain course, you'll definitely get your workout. Solid range, most holes are driveable but it just doesn't seem to happen for me! Right by the lake, a half mile walk from the parking lot so it's secluded and beautiful.
Cons: Very slippery in the winter on the steep mountainside.
Other Thoughts: I will play this course again. Had a blast.

2-4    7/25/2010   3/10/2011
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - Huge secluded course, I didn't see anyone on the course who wasn't a disc golfer
- Lots of elevation change starting with a huge uphill that will definatly work your arm out.
- Great views of the surrounding hills and the lake at the bottom of the course
- Nice concrete tee pads
- Multiple tee pads on many of the holes
- Lots of pin positions
- Great kiosk next to hole 1 with a nice map of the course and other course info, as well as scorecards and maps.
- Pay to play helps keep the riff-raff out
- Holes vary alot, from shorter, ace-able holes (only a couple) up to the 1000+' bomber.
- Design manages to pull in lots of diffrent shots without having alot of trees.
- Very detailed signs with a nice overhead view of the hole, distances to each pin position and a washer to show which pin position it is in.
- Realy fun downhill shot on hole 5 long, is worth the walk up and throwing off a natrual tee pad.
Cons: - Definatly not a beginers course, they will end up getting frustrated by the distance and elevation
- 6-8$ pay to play seemed a bit high, but it does help keep the unriff-raff off the course
- 1/4 mile hike from the parking lot to hole 1, (gets you warmed up in my opinion)
- Grass can be high some times of the year
- Can get realy hot in the summertime
- Gets windy at times
- Some blind shots that you might want to have a spoter on.
- No smoking (fire hazard)
- POISON OAK
Other Thoughts: Stafford Lake is a championship caliber course in Nor-Cal. With wonderfull design and lots of great views this will be a course that sits in my memory for a long time. It was hard on me as I tend to max out at around 300', but it was still an experence worth having. You start off your round with a 1/4 mile walk to hole 1 which is a huge uphill that will have even experenced players working hard for their par. Though most of the course is in open fields the trees that are around are used well. As you make your way through you will be treated to an epic downhill shot on hole 5, if your willing to take an extra hike up the hill behind the regular tee pad, and be willing to throw on a natural tee pad. Hole 9 is a 1000+' hole that runs along a fence seperating the disc golf course from the ball golf course next door. It plays just slightly downhill and in my opinion it's a par 5 for Am's and a par 4 for Pro's. This course is well worth a visit if your a pro traveling through the area, or an am who likes some punishment.

Overview

1    1/3/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: LethargicMind
Pros: -variety of hole type, length, and elevation change.
-mix of open, trees, hills, shrubs, creeks.
-fairly easy to find the next hole
-challenging, but playable. (Im rated at 850 for the PDGA I shot 6 over)
Cons: -the first tee is hard to find, its approx. 1 mile from the parking lot. (Follow the gravel road, across the bridge, up the hill)
-It was very wet (I played at the beginning of Spring, wet was expected)
-You'll need to be able to throw kinda far (I average 300')
-Throwing straight also helps
Other Thoughts: Simply magnificent! What a beautiful course. Great design. I only played here once, but it is was awesome. I played in the clouds with a heard of 20 deer. If I am ever close to this course again, I'll be there!

5+    2/14/2011   2/15/2011
Review By: djjeremiahj
Pros: Great Challenging Course.
Long and Tricky
Concrete pads
Well laid out
Designed for the more advanced of the group
Great use of the space. Elevation changes, etc...
Beautiful California rustic / high desert scenery.
Cons: Long
blind shots
(can be) very hot
(can be) very windy

DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN PARK!!!!!!!!!!!

POISON OAK (SUMMER TIME NIGHTMARE!)
MUD (GO after the rains... bring mud paddles)
VERY easy to lose discs.

This course makes for a long, exhausting 18 holes.

Other Thoughts: After the first dozen or so times, you get good at this course and it really does become amazing.

it's not a beginner course. A long drive (400' at the least) is necessary to be competitive.

If you are "good" and in town.... probably a must play. It's hard to say as Nor Cal has so many amazing courses.

FEAR the POISON OAK! No joke!

scenic and very challenging

2-4    8/27/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: DutchViking
This review was updated on 3/11/2011
Pros: Championship Caliber 18 challenging holes in a beautiful park with big hills and plenty of wildlife (we saw squirrels, many types of birds and a few deer!) Plenty of tee shots require a good grip-n-rip and your maximum distance. Never Crowded. Large Concrete tee pads are very nice, as is the signage at at each tee pad. This course also has tons of variety, throwing uphill, downhill, over and around trees. Some long holes and some short holes. #6 is a very fun hole!
Cons: Very windy- the wind will mess with your shots, unless you can use it to your advantage. I'm never a fan of paying for disc golf (or for parking). The 2 most frustrating things about playing at Stafford lake is that you will probably need a guide to get through all 18 holes and there are many blind pins where if no one is spotting your drive it can be very hard to find. Lastly, this course can play like a ghost town most of the time, with rarely anyone else playing the course at the same time.
Other Thoughts: Although this truly is a very cool course, it falls short of the great De Laveaga in Santa Cruz. De La has more holes and you can play it in the same amount of time. This course is recommended and very interesting, try to go with or find a local when you are there, and bring your wind-fighting discs!

Stafford Lake-One Of Cali's Finest!

1    8/20/2010   8/26/2010
Pros: Stafford Lake is a county park ($6 week day, $8 week-end) located in the foothills of Marin County about a 30 minute drive north of San Francisco. This is a large sprawling park with a lake/reservoir which is often visible in the distance from locatuions on the course.
From the far parking lot, it is about a 1/4 hike slightly uphill to the # 1 tee box. There you will find a kiosk with great maps and other pertinent course information. Bring lots of water, snacks, sun protection and sturdy shoes. This is no walk in the park! We played in probably the ugliest time of the year here, late August, when everything was the driest and brownest and the hottest. # 1 plays up the side of the hill probably 300 feet requiring the afore mentioned massive arm which I don't have. The brown grass was incredibly slippery and hard to even walk up. I start with a double bogey. # 2 is one of the many holes requiring a spotter. Probably having a spotter on 10-12 holes is a good idea. I would say this course plays to an elite/gold player level. The tee pads are extra long for that extra long run off required. # 6' s "Top of the World" shot is great fun. The previously mentioned 1049' long # 9 is actually, IMO, a fairly managable par 4 seeing how it is fairly wide open ( a tree or two) and slightly downhill all the way. # 17 is another great downhill bomb 534' with a hyser to a basket visible in the trees. There is a great variety of shots required. Often you need to be planning your second while throwing your first. This is not the course to bring your girlfriend for her first experience (disc golfing that is).
Cons: The $6 or $8 it cost to pay although this keeps the casual players off the course. Probably the distance from the population centers. The high grass in season. The elevation, the wind, the general difficulty and challenge (both physical and golf) being greater than the skill and physical capibilities of many of us. The many blind holes. That trudge back to the parking lot at the end of the round.
Other Thoughts: Although beautiful in it's own right, in my humble opinion, it doesn't quite match Lake Casitas in the natural beauty department. I also don't feel the design and challenge are quite up there with De La and Lake Casitas either. Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great course, I just rate it a hair behind those two great Cali courses with Ryan's Ranch coming on strong. They all play to the same type of big armed type advanced players.

Scenic, Long, Rough

1    7/30/2010   7/30/2010
Review By: RayRay
Pros: - Epic Elevation Shots
- Beautiful scenery
- Length (1000 footer!!)
- Detailed Tee Signs
Cons: - Extremely rough, high sticky grass with no real fairways, bring a spotter or you'll lose some discs
- Blind holes (12 holes from the pro tees)
- Wind, part of the game but kills the long holes
- Difficulty: I wouldn't recommend it for a casual player.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course but think it's a little overrated. The shots are fun but the wind/elevation/vegetation/blindness make things very risky. If you have a big game and want to play on some CA hills, go play it but be ready for some rough grass and some wind.

Needed a guide for sure

1    7/17/2010   7/22/2010
Review By: IAMGT
Pros: Beautiful setting. The course is completely separate from the rest of the park. The course gives you plenty of challenges and requires you to use each disc/shot in your bag. It is always fun when you need to be able to throw a tomahawk or forehand in order to play a course. The course gives you beautiful views of the mountains and the lake as the course is set up on the side of a hill with a decent amount of elevation. The tee pads on this course were probably one of the nicest sets of tee pads I have ever played on. They had plenty of run-up space and gave you a lot of grip. When you entered the park, you were given a scorecard and a brochure from the guard as to where you should go, but the scorecard and brochure was something I thought was really cool. It was also kind of neat to see a variety of wildlife on the course such as deer, turkey vultures, and rabbits and such. Number 6 was definitely my favorite as it is a beautiful shot straight downhill from close to the top of a big hill.
Cons: $10 is ridiculous. Now, I imagine that if I had a guide with me, or someone who has played this course, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Having said that, this course was incredibly difficult to follow in my opinion. My wife and I couldn't even find where to go for the first hole. If some people didn't come by that were also going to the course, we would have been clueless. Once we arrived to the first tee, we saw that each hole will basically have a couple different sets of tees, and that there could be up to four different pin positions. I wouldn't mind this, except on the first few holes where you couldn't see the pin, the spinning thing which told you where the basket was, was incorrect and it was frustrating. I know not everyone will agree with me on this, but when the course states that there is a no smoking policy, people should probably follow it, but of course the three guys that come up behind us were all smoking, and drinking, and just had a lack of respect for the game/course. Considering Cali's fire permits and burn bans, I would expect a little more.
Other Thoughts: I think that this is a great course, and would definitely play it again if I'm ever out that way again in Cali. I finished two over par for the day with it being the first time I ever played there. I think that with a little better signage as to where you should go for the next hole, and a better way to distinguish were the pin is, it would be a 4 or 4.5 course.