Novato, CA
Stafford Lake County Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #9 (Taken 7/2014)

Beautiful and challenging

1    10/21/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: gcoghill
Pros:
incredibly beautiful scenery
very secluded
some phenomenal, world-class holes
Cons:
course layout can be confusing
park closes as dusk and they will lock your car in if the Park Ranger doesn't find you
Other Thoughts: Epic course. When you make the trek from the parking lot just to get to hole one, you feel like you're heading into a disc golf hideaway -- and you are.

The course is completely on it's own in a majestic mountainside setting. The photos here just cannot do this course any justice.

My brother & I were fortunate to have a local -- "Disc Golf Dave" as we named him -- be our guide to the course. Not only a great player, but a patient guy as we played some of the worst disc golf in our lives that day. I think we might have been a bit psyched-out by the course.

Hole one sets the tone with a monster uphill drive. I think the course would have been very disorienting had we not had a guide playing with us.

Hole #6 as has been mentioned is a *killer* hole, and playing from the long tee is flat out incredible. Neck-and-neck with de LaVeaga's hole #27 for awesomeness.

This course is deceiving as much of it is wide open, but you also need accuracy due to wild brush lining the course and the occasional hillside drop-off. Definitely not a course for beginners or casual players.

My review may be incomplete as we did not have a chance to play the entire course. 'Disc Golf Dave' took us to the best holes we could play and still make it back to the parking lot before the park closed. We got to play about 11 of the holes.

I'll be heading back there for sure when I am back out in northern California visiting my brother. He preferred Stafford Lake over De LaVeaga (I preferred DLV), but we both agreed these are top-notch courses.

And a final thanks to 'Disc Golf Dave' for being our course ambassador! Made for a memorable round.

Worth the trip...

1    8/23/2009   10/17/2009
Review By: Taino
Pros: HUGE. Biggest course I've played, including some in Canada. Big arms can really stretch. Great tee boxes (concrete). Major elevation changes, challenging hole positions. Similar to the Black Rose in Kamloops, but definitely not the same. Holes are well-supplied with hole information.
Cons: Very little signage between holes; finding your way without a map would be difficult. Barely adequate signage from parking area to course. Incessant wind up to 40 mph on the day we played.
Other Thoughts: In all, this course is excellent. Every hole is different, requiring lots of varied shots. Tees not really long enough for the distance on each hole; adequate, but I'd prefer more. No water anywhere. You must be in good shape to do this course - definitely not Golden Gate Park, play in your sandals course!

I don't think this course was designed with the beginner or intermediate player in mind. It's obviously a big guns, advanced course with one hole reaching over 1000' and several over 500'. That said, it's a great course on which to challenge yourself.

All Tees Are Concrete!

5+    9/12/2009   9/13/2009
Review By: jacksonatstafford
Pros: We are happy to report that all 18 holes have at least 1 concrete tee pad now. #3, #7, #11 and #18 have two concrete pads.
Cons: If you are lazy, out of shape or cannot throw it over 200 ft., you will not like this course.
Other Thoughts: Stafford is Avery Jenkins favorite course. What else do you need to know?

Paradise

5+    8/8/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: gmoney
This review was updated on 8/17/2009
Pros: This course is disc golf heaven! Course design is first class. Big arms can let it fly. Hole #6 is the best in Northern California.
Cons: Locals are picky Marin jerks who think they own the course. Hole #9 is ridiculous at 1000 feet. Could fit another eighteen in all the available space.
Other Thoughts: There is no comparison to this gem in Northen California. Delaveaga gets the hype, but Stafford is the jewel!

Scenic Challenge

1    7/24/2009   8/2/2009
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 8/6/2009
Pros:
Scoresheets and brochure available at course, course homepage at http://www.staffordlake.com/, and map available on this site provide loads of information about the course. Portion of larger park, scenic hillside running down into a small lake, area dedicated to disc golf - plays up, down, and across the hillside, with lake in constant view, and near a few basket locations. 2-5 basket positions per hole, most with 3 or 4. Multiple tee positions on about of the holes. Most teepads are concrete. Signs at each teepad which indicate various baskets positions, current position, and even the elevation change from teepad to all basket positions! Fantastic variety in length and shape. Bathroom, water fountain, and practice basket near parking lot.
Cons:
Costs up to $8 to enter the park. Bit of a walk from parking lot to first tee/last basket. Some baskets not easily visible - flags, coloured poles, and/or bright coloured bands on the top of the basket would help. Signs didn't indicate if it was the primary or alternate tee location, which wasn't always obvious.
Variety - most holes are very different from each other. Elevation - major/minor/no change. Shape - left/right/S/no turning, some opportunities for tomahawks. Distance - just over 200' to just over 1000', a few legitimate par 4's/5's. Approach shots - due to some holes being extremely long and/or steep, your second (or third) shot will also often require some shape/touch to it.

The day I played - and given the topography of the course, I imagine this is a rather common occurrence - there was a steady breeze coming from the West. This meant I had a tailwind about 1/3rd of the time, a cross-wind 1/3rd of the time, and a headwind about 1/3rd of the time, so the typical flightpaths of your discs could vary greatly from what you normally experience. Since I was on vacation, I only had ten discs with me, and at one point, I could only trust my heavy Firebird to fade as expected - my other lighter, less-overstable discs were turning like Roadrunners!

Many of the baskets are fairly open, but don't let this lull you into a sense of security - most are on some type of slope and/or have a steep drop-off nearby, and when combined with the steady breeze, this increases the level of difficulty on many seemingly "easy" shots.

Favourite Holes: #3A from the long tee, a blind, long right-turning initial drive around the side of a hill will leave you with a long approach across a small depression and through a gap between to small treelines to the basket; #6B/C, just under ~400, a major downhill bomb to a basket with a drop-off and woods just a few feet behind the basket, with a view of the lake and neighbouring hills in the background.

This course is certainly worth the effort to visit if in the Bay area - to make it worth the entry fee, try to allow enough time to play two rounds! Given the extra length and walk to/from the parking lot, allow an extra 30-45 minutes than you normally take to play a typical 18-holer. Adding more alternate tees, making them all concrete, and adding a bit more signage would make this already very strong course top-notch.

Very Cared For

1    6/29/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course had great tee signs taht were super accurate and helpful, there were great maps at the first tee that helped explain things, and trust me you will want to read this and adhear to the directions that it gives. The course itself had a great mix of distances that included the insanely long 1000 ft hole 9. There was not a lot of people there when I was there and the course itself is in a part of the park that will only get used for Disc Golf. There are some great views. This course is super challenging. There is a place to fill up drinking water at a picnic area just before crossing the bridge to the first tee.
Cons: There were no good tunnel shots on this course, it was alway over or around something. There are a few holes when it is easy to loose a disc. You have to hike to the first tee and you have to pay $5 a car to get into the park. It got really hot while I was there and with all the up and down hill you will need plenty of water. This course is defiantely not for beginners. The tee pads are not consistent, some dirt and some concrete, but they do appear to be working on this. There is a claim that there is some poison oak on this course.
Other Thoughts: The first thing that I thought when I got to the first tee was that there were some good disc golfers who put this course in to be a standard for what should be done. I loved the tee signs and how helpful they were. At the same time I was slightly disappointed by the layout of this course. I think they could have done a lot better in design, while at the same time keeping the challenge level where it is at. You will not want to play this course by yourself as there are a couple of holes when a spotter is almost necessary. I nearly lost a disc on hole 2 I think it is but was able to come back before playing hole 17 to find my disc. Be prepared for temperatures to be hot and the wind to provide little relief.

AWESOME!

5+    5/1/2008   7/1/2009
Review By: Mergz
Pros: This course is very challenging & humbling. It will make you a better player for sure. There are lots of elevation changes and interesting shots. Never crowded. Some wildlife
Cons: It can get very hot. Poison Oak in places.
Other Thoughts: Don't go alone. It's a long hike in & out and not heavily traveled.

Stafford

5+    3/1/2009   3/27/2009
Review By: Peterb
Pros: This course is a game changer. Hole 1 sets the tone right away. Hole 3 long is major. Awesome scenic beauty, pay to park makes money for the county park system, which in turn makes disc golf more viable as a sport (and it keeps jerk-offs away). Moist-Tee (hole 6) is the most epic shot I've played in California, though it makes me wonder if it should now be played to 7's pin. Facilities are great, tee pads are looking good. Wind gets challenging in the afternoons. Awesome wildlife, especially the wild turkies!
Cons: not too many. I wish there had been a few more tightly wooded shots, but the designers did an amazing job with the landscape.
Other Thoughts: I wish there were another 18 on the premises.

I miss Apple

5+    2/14/2009   3/2/2009
Review By: 916er
This review was updated on 3/4/2009
Pros: The people, scenery, and the course are all top notch. I would play there every day if I lived in the north bay, it's just that good. Almost all cement tee pads now, bathrooms, drinking fountain, picnic tables, benches, and a practice basket. Hungry fish swimming in the lake.

Lots of room to warm up on the walk to #1.

Maps and scorecards available at 1st tee.

Cons: Maybe the parking fee, but it's worth it. Most people pay more to go hit a bucket of balls at the driving range.
Other Thoughts: Bring some food and water. The round will take at least 3 hours and it's not an easy trek. We usually stop at the Moylans spot next to the 8th tee and eat something. You will be tested physically on this course even if you are in good shape.

Top Notch DGC

5+    2/5/2009   2/13/2009
Review By: RedC
Pros: Beautiful Marin County park landscape with mountainside and open field play. An epic "Top of the World" hole and long monsters. Well maintained. Never been there on a crowded day. A good course for exercise. It's size and diversity makes you have to play your whole game. Lots of local wildlife to see. Zero non-golfer interference. Hole placements changed frequently to change it up.
Cons: $5 to park, but worth it. Few tees are cemented, but are boxed with level soil for the most part. Some poison oak to watch for. Little signage makes it tougher for those unfamiliar.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. Glad I found it and you will be too. Bring the right footwear a snack and some water and you're fine.