Richmond, VA
Hole #12 Yellow Tee

A Gem of a Course in Richmond

2-4    12/24/2014   12/26/2014
Review By: Ed_Reese
Pros: Really a gem of a course in Richmond. Love the layout, length of the course, water crossings, and the beauty of this course. It might be in the top 5 I've played in the country. It's also incredibly clean. I don't think I saw a piece of trash in three rounds of play.
Cons: Yeah, I lacks what others have said... There are essentially no real tee pads. It's not marked very well. I get it. Didn't detract from my enjoyment at all, though. With a little work (just tee pads and signage, really) this could be a destination course.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for big arms. While I think it has a nice variation of length, it's longer than most with several holes approaching 600 feet (four or five in the 550-590' range if memory serves correct). The water hazards make it really fun as well. The duck pond crossing is farther than it looks :) I attempted it with a fairway driver my first time and ended up losing one in the drink. Still didn't bum me out, though. Had a blast here. My in-laws are from Richmond, so I'm there a few times a year. I'm stoked beyond belief to have discovered this course. You've got a gem here in Richmond!

Drivers Galore

5+    11/11/2014   11/20/2014
Review By: ericfriesr
Pros: Wide open. A few trees. Awesome distance. If you like throwing from the tee, this place is for you.
ALL holes have freshly completed tee pads!
Cons: Not very technical. You can score well on this course if you can drive. I play here several times a week and rarely use mid range discs.
Other Thoughts: #11 is sweet. Was better before a storm took out a HUGE tree right across the creek. Fun holes. Open lay out. There's a short and long tee pad for every hole.

Crank out some laces

5+    7/3/2014   7/4/2014
Review By: Blazemedown
Pros: Who like to throw some bombs from elevated tees and watch em fly? This course allows u to throw caution to the wind and drive for show. Easy to get to from any direction. New concrete tee pads in 1/2 the holes,
Cons: Watch out for poison ivy; beware of the first hole, it is extremely cruel to discs/players
Other Thoughts: Want a course friendly enough for novices but fun enough for pros? You can't beat Bryan Park. So little stress with this course's layout...so many opportunities to show your buddies how much further you can throw then them

Great Park Course

1    6/4/2014   6/11/2014
Review By: tlimanek
Pros: Definitely top 3 of the 25 courses I have played. Shots over water and around trees. Very easy to find discs with well mowed lawns. For an intermediate player the challenge was clear at each hole.
Cons: Since first time, got a little lost at times. Played some blue, some gold tees as I found them. Tracking down the first hole was tricky given the park layout and roads.
Other Thoughts: There appears to be recent work making very nice permanent tees. They are making a good course even better. Will play this every time I am in Richmond.

Richmond Gem!

1    6/21/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - Located in a great city park.
- I interacted with several local players on my round, and they had so much pride in this course. Played the back nine with a local player recommend doing the same if you visit the course.
- The trees on the course are majestic. It is a real joy to play so many holes with all of the towering oaks.
- Nice mix of long and short holes
- I also love the use of the hills and of course the two water holes.
- Some courses are much more memorable to me than others, I instantly loved this one and would strongly recommend anyone to check it out. Can't wait til my next round there myself.
Cons: - Would be nice if they invested in tee signs. You would be able to gauge the outline of each hole and more easily navigate from one hole to the next.
- I saw a few other posts commenting on the natural tee pads. I have never minded natural tee pads myself and found virtually all of them to be level and in good shape. So no problem at all for me.
Other Thoughts: - Great location off of I-95
- I pass through Richmond fairly regularly and I have struggled to figure out a go to course. Can't believe Bryan park has been off my radar. Definitely the best course to go to in the Richmond area in terms of convenience and quality.

Great, but missing a little

5+    3/15/2013   3/16/2013
Review By: rar6nm
Pros: Pretty much wide open, feel free to unload your best shots.

Extremely well kept, people normally hunt for lost discs so don't give up hope just because you lose a few discs.

Technical in the sense that it pushes your creativity, ability, and your arm depending on what you decide (i.e., multiple different options, some easier than others)

Wide variety of holes requiring different shots at different distances with different angles and different ceilings
Cons: Natural tee pads - You most likely won't twist your ankle, but you have to be careful. The course would widely benefit even just rubber ones, but preferably concrete. The park is mainly used for soccer, and disc golf so park needs to pander to their market.

Signage is very necessary for players who don't know the course. There are wooden blocks marking the tees, but you have to know where they are. Veterans could go from hole to hole from their eyes closed, but that doesn't help the guy from who knows where visiting his family or something.
Other Thoughts: Great course for all playing styles and experience levels. A must play if you're in the area

Great Open Course

2-4    7/9/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: Wraith3
Pros: This is a great open course. The people are pretty friendly. Not too crowded during the day. Not that you would really notice because the holes are so spread out. Although open, huge trees provide some nice shade and a little bit of challenge.

The markings on the top of the basket are an AWESOME touch, that i have rarely seen of course, but LOVE when they are present.

Overall a great course with good length holes and great variety.
Cons: It's Virginia, it gets hot in the summer and sometimes there is not enough shade. Be sure to bring a water bottle; as you will be out there for a while as well.

RIGHT on I-95, pretty loud, but not that it really matters, but could be annoying for some.
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 is a laugh, throwing 200+ feet uphill over water is a gas. Over all a great park with an awesome course.

Bryan Park is Great for Visitors

2-4    7/1/2009   7/1/2009
Review By: atonalruss
Pros: Well marked, easy to find and navigate. Beautiful setting, long tees, open fairways that are great for all levels of play.
Cons: Lacks the challenge of wooded holes. Hole 16 is tough for those with short drives since the only two options are over a pond (with no elevation to the tee I lose discs, so I avoid this option) or a drive so ridiculously short you can use your putter.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. I've played for four years and found this course when visiting Richmond for a week. It is a stunningly beautiful and well maintained course. I play in the early hours of the morning (6 am) and there are very few people in the park at that time - mostly friendly dog walkers.
The course is very well marked and I was able to navigate it alone the first time I played - even without a map. Great for visitors to Richmond!
This is a great course for beginners or intermediate players who want to work on thier drives. Wide open tees give you the opportunity to let loose and see how far you can throw without much fear of trees. A gorgeous hole 11 is 700 feet and a very reasonable par 5 that can be regularly birdied by players who can drive for distance.
The only drawback is the lack of wooded areas. Most of the courses I've played weave in and out of the woods and trees create the greatest challenge. The lack of trees makes this a friendly course for beginners and kids, even though it is fairly long.

Fantastic Course

5+    5/20/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: JCorey
Pros: Well maintained, long, mostly-open winding course through one of Richmond's most beautiful parks.
Cons: The park can get crowded during peak hours, the long holes play a bit more slowly.
Other Thoughts: If you have an hour and a half to kill PLAY THIS COURSE. I played disc golf in Richmond for over a year and this is in my opinion the complete package. While it lacks the tight shots like Dorey Park or the history like Gillie's Creek it definitely is an amazing course.

Best in RIchmond

5+    5/6/2009   5/12/2009
Review By: Wundrkid
Pros: Huge course. Beautiful landscape. Very challenging. I hated BP until I finally learned how to drive the disc far. There are always people playing but not enough to make you wait too long or get frustrated, and 90% of the people will say hey and ask how the day is going for you.

And of course, hole 15 from the blue tee is by far the greatest hole I have ever played. I think I have only birdied it once but the location is extremely unique. On a hot day, its the best for the shade and cool breeze that comes up off of the creek.
Cons: None really, except for my Leopard being at the bottom of the lake.
Other Thoughts: Play it! Enter the tourneys and have a good time. Dont let the water scare you. Some of the people I play with dont even throw on those holes in fear of losing the disc. Once you get your confidence up, let that thing fly.