Richmond, VA
Hole #7 Yellow Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1    5/20/2015   5/30/2015
Review By: dg_morgan
Pros: -The holes are very fun and interesting. There is elevation, water, and varying length. Some of the holes are wide open, and some have trees. It's a very pretty park and cute to play.

-Free to play!

-Very quiet area as far as foot traffic, at least when we were there (midday on a Wednesday).

-Two tee pads for each hole.
Cons: -The amateur tees are poor/nonexistent. Perhaps I am spoiled on nice concrete tees, but I don't appreciate throwing from the dirt. It also makes it difficult to see the tees from afar. (My partner recalls the pro tees being brick, so this point may be invalid for people playing from those.)

-The signage is lacking. Each hole has a mosaic piece that explains the par and distance, but these tend to be a bit hard to read. It's also simply placed on the ground, along with very short blocks marking the am tees. Since nothing is really visible from a distance, it was hard to navigate the course in many places.
Other Thoughts: I think if the tees and signs are addressed, this course could easily get another full point from me. The holes were a lot of fun to play, and were definitely not generic. However, it's hard to enjoy the holes when you can't actually find them! I prefer a course where I can easiy move from a basket to the next tee. A little better signage could really make this course into a winner. Of course, if you've played here enough to learn the layout, I'm sure it's plenty of fun!

A Gem of a Course in Richmond

2-4    12/24/2014   12/26/2014
Review By: Ed_Reese
Pros: Really a gem of a course in Richmond. Love the layout, length of the course, water crossings, and the beauty of this course. It might be in the top 5 I've played in the country. It's also incredibly clean. I don't think I saw a piece of trash in three rounds of play.
Cons: Yeah, I lacks what others have said... There are essentially no real tee pads. It's not marked very well. I get it. Didn't detract from my enjoyment at all, though. With a little work (just tee pads and signage, really) this could be a destination course.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for big arms. While I think it has a nice variation of length, it's longer than most with several holes approaching 600 feet (four or five in the 550-590' range if memory serves correct). The water hazards make it really fun as well. The duck pond crossing is farther than it looks :) I attempted it with a fairway driver my first time and ended up losing one in the drink. Still didn't bum me out, though. Had a blast here. My in-laws are from Richmond, so I'm there a few times a year. I'm stoked beyond belief to have discovered this course. You've got a gem here in Richmond!

Drivers Galore

5+    11/11/2014   11/20/2014
Review By: ericfriesr
Pros: Wide open. A few trees. Awesome distance. If you like throwing from the tee, this place is for you.
ALL holes have freshly completed tee pads!
Cons: Not very technical. You can score well on this course if you can drive. I play here several times a week and rarely use mid range discs.
Other Thoughts: #11 is sweet. Was better before a storm took out a HUGE tree right across the creek. Fun holes. Open lay out. There's a short and long tee pad for every hole.

okay for practice

5+    6/20/2014   8/15/2014
Review By: Indus
Pros: wide open place to practice discs you don't throw much.
close to highway so you can get out quickly.
pretty park.
Cons: not much of a challenge. mostly wide open, relatively easy. non-disc golfers on the course, as it is a public park. crappy dirt tees.
Other Thoughts: not sure why this course gets such a high rating unless it is because a bunch of the local players are the ones reviewing it. it is definitely less than thrilling. a couple of cool holes...one long one where you have to carry a creek running through concrete banks...one over the pond that is challenging (not the last hole). kinda like playing in an open field. big arms may enjoy the chance to park some drives, but it lacks technical play.

Crank out some laces

5+    7/3/2014   7/4/2014
Review By: Blazemedown
Pros: Who like to throw some bombs from elevated tees and watch em fly? This course allows u to throw caution to the wind and drive for show. Easy to get to from any direction. New concrete tee pads in 1/2 the holes,
Cons: Watch out for poison ivy; beware of the first hole, it is extremely cruel to discs/players
Other Thoughts: Want a course friendly enough for novices but fun enough for pros? You can't beat Bryan Park. So little stress with this course's layout...so many opportunities to show your buddies how much further you can throw then them

Bryan Bombs Away!

1    3/17/2014   6/16/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Dual tees with 18 baskets over nice scenic rolling elevation, creek, pond and waterfall and has some nice par 4s. Most the course is shaded by huge hardwood trees, but the course is fairly wide open and a little longer than average. Two 9 hole loops back to parking lot. Navigation was decent. Well maintained park just off I-95. Restrooms with water.
Cons: Mostly natural tees(looks like they are in the process of upgrading the tees to rubber pads). No real tee signs, but it's not bad if you have a map. Hole 4 and 11 cross fairways right off the tee but I don't think it's much of an issue. Hole 18's tee area was muddy/slippery, and the green across the creek is fast for roll-a-ways into the creek. Lacks variety in that there are no tight technical wooded fairways. Decent chance to lose disc in the water. Plays close to park roads in places. Other people in the park/course.
Other Thoughts: Set near the heart of Richmond, I had a blast playing at Bryan Park. You get to throw huge bombs over some great elevation changes. My first shot went in the creek OB on hole 1, I could see it, but couldn't retrieve it. Hole 11 and 14 were my favorites. Hole 16 across the pond was also quite fun. There's not a whole of challenge here other than raw distance, some water and a few trees. Wind can be a big factor here. This is great course for anyone that likes to watch their discs fly and a nice stop if traveling through Richmond up /down I-95 or across I-64.

Great Park Course

1    6/4/2014   6/11/2014
Review By: tlimanek
Pros: Definitely top 3 of the 25 courses I have played. Shots over water and around trees. Very easy to find discs with well mowed lawns. For an intermediate player the challenge was clear at each hole.
Cons: Since first time, got a little lost at times. Played some blue, some gold tees as I found them. Tracking down the first hole was tricky given the park layout and roads.
Other Thoughts: There appears to be recent work making very nice permanent tees. They are making a good course even better. Will play this every time I am in Richmond.

Greatest Park in Richmond

5+    2/25/2014   2/25/2014
Review By: rickshouses
Pros: Wonderful Park...Long and Short Holes...Holes over and around water....elevation...Right and Left Shots...Wonderful group of players...
Cons: It's a public park with people walking around...Tee pads are natural...due to the park rules..but permanent tees are on their way...

OK/Good, getting better

5+    2/15/2014   2/22/2014
Review By: HannibalRex
This review was updated on 6/12/2014
Pros: - WAY COOL: perm pads going in, tee 1 is really nice, can't wait to see the rest, hands-down the best improvement this course needed.
- Plenty of distance, play the blues or whites and you'll figure out just how much arm you have.
- Even if you're embarrassingly bad, like me, it's still a fun course with a couple of shorter throws here and there to make up for it.
- Some really nice views in a nice park
- Some are really fun like 11, 14, 16, 18
Cons: I sound like a jerk when I read my own reviews, so best to keep it to myself. All I can say is go find out for yourself, Bryan is a nice course, give it a go! Have fun, be respectful, and help the beginners.

My home course for years

5+    7/20/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: bnbanbury
This review was updated on 12/2/2014
Pros: -Beautiful, well maintained park with large mature trees throughout.
-Good mix of holes, especially in terms of distance. Par 3's are interrupted by longer multi-throw holes.
-The long holes especially are just fun. 9 is a long drive that is less open at the pin than it first appears. 11 is probably the signature hole and plays from elevation, over a creek, and then up the far side through the live oaks.
-Uses trees, water, and sloping greens well to add a little risk to the shorter holes on the property.
Cons: -Signage and tees are terrible. Its really a shame that a course that has the potential to be really a great course is so impacted by these things but they really do lower the rating. The club has been prevented from installing permanent tees by the park and moves the natural tees as often as they can but the tees are just not sufficient for the kinds of power you want to put on the longer throws here. With the tees being blocks in the ground and no signage there are often first timers wandering around looking for tees.
Other Thoughts: This was my home course for several years, right around the corner from my house and i still put in a couple rounds a month here. I think it's the best of the Richmond courses and therefore feel a sense of frustration that the little things that would make this course a 4 or 4.5 can't or haven't been done. That being said the park and holes alone make this a great round of golf and a ton of fun. It requires a different kind of golf than the other courses in the area, in particular it requires an approach game instead of just presenting you with 18 reachable par threes. I encourage anyone in the area to stop in and play here and if improvements ever get made to tees and signage this will be one of the best courses in the state.

EDIT (11-30-14): The club has completed the installation of tee pads for every hole! The tees are typically installed at the longer locations throughout the course, making the championship layout really nice. I have subsequently bumped my rating to a 4 and will add another 1/2 a point if better directional and distance signage is added for each hole.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7