Richmond, VA

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
okay for practice

5+    6/20/2014   8/15/2014
Review By: Indus
Pros: wide open place to practice discs you don't throw much.
close to highway so you can get out quickly.
pretty park.
Cons: not much of a challenge. mostly wide open, relatively easy. non-disc golfers on the course, as it is a public park. crappy dirt tees.
Other Thoughts: not sure why this course gets such a high rating unless it is because a bunch of the local players are the ones reviewing it. it is definitely less than thrilling. a couple of cool holes...one long one where you have to carry a creek running through concrete banks...one over the pond that is challenging (not the last hole). kinda like playing in an open field. big arms may enjoy the chance to park some drives, but it lacks technical play.

Crank out some laces

5+    7/3/2014   7/4/2014
Review By: Blazemedown
Pros: Who like to throw some bombs from elevated tees and watch em fly? This course allows u to throw caution to the wind and drive for show. Easy to get to from any direction. New concrete tee pads in 1/2 the holes,
Cons: Watch out for poison ivy; beware of the first hole, it is extremely cruel to discs/players
Other Thoughts: Want a course friendly enough for novices but fun enough for pros? You can't beat Bryan Park. So little stress with this course's layout...so many opportunities to show your buddies how much further you can throw then them

Bryan Bombs Away!

1    3/17/2014   6/16/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Dual tees with 18 baskets over nice scenic rolling elevation, creek, pond and waterfall and has some nice par 4s. Most the course is shaded by huge hardwood trees, but the course is fairly wide open and a little longer than average. Two 9 hole loops back to parking lot. Navigation was decent. Well maintained park just off I-95. Restrooms with water.
Cons: Mostly natural tees(looks like they are in the process of upgrading the tees to rubber pads). No real tee signs, but it's not bad if you have a map. Hole 4 and 11 cross fairways right off the tee but I don't think it's much of an issue. Hole 18's tee area was muddy/slippery, and the green across the creek is fast for roll-a-ways into the creek. Lacks variety in that there are no tight technical wooded fairways. Decent chance to lose disc in the water. Plays close to park roads in places. Other people in the park/course.
Other Thoughts: Set near the heart of Richmond, I had a blast playing at Bryan Park. You get to throw huge bombs over some great elevation changes. My first shot went in the creek OB on hole 1, I could see it, but couldn't retrieve it. Hole 11 and 14 were my favorites. Hole 16 across the pond was also quite fun. There's not a whole of challenge here other than raw distance, some water and a few trees. Wind can be a big factor here. This is great course for anyone that likes to watch their discs fly and a nice stop if traveling through Richmond up /down I-95 or across I-64.

Great Park Course

1    6/4/2014   6/11/2014
Review By: tlimanek
Pros: Definitely top 3 of the 25 courses I have played. Shots over water and around trees. Very easy to find discs with well mowed lawns. For an intermediate player the challenge was clear at each hole.
Cons: Since first time, got a little lost at times. Played some blue, some gold tees as I found them. Tracking down the first hole was tricky given the park layout and roads.
Other Thoughts: There appears to be recent work making very nice permanent tees. They are making a good course even better. Will play this every time I am in Richmond.

Greatest Park in Richmond

5+    2/25/2014   2/25/2014
Review By: rickshouses
Pros: Wonderful Park...Long and Short Holes...Holes over and around water....elevation...Right and Left Shots...Wonderful group of players...
Cons: It's a public park with people walking around...Tee pads are natural...due to the park rules..but permanent tees are on their way...

OK/Good, getting better

5+    2/15/2014   2/22/2014
Review By: HannibalRex
This review was updated on 6/12/2014
Pros: - WAY COOL: perm pads going in, tee 1 is really nice, can't wait to see the rest, hands-down the best improvement this course needed.
- Plenty of distance, play the blues or whites and you'll figure out just how much arm you have.
- Even if you're embarrassingly bad, like me, it's still a fun course with a couple of shorter throws here and there to make up for it.
- Some really nice views in a nice park
- Some are really fun like 11, 14, 16, 18
Cons: I sound like a jerk when I read my own reviews, so best to keep it to myself. All I can say is go find out for yourself, Bryan is a nice course, give it a go! Have fun, be respectful, and help the beginners.

My home course for years

5+    7/20/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: bnbanbury
Pros: -Beautiful, well maintained park with large mature trees throughout.
-Good mix of holes, especially in terms of distance. Par 3's are interrupted by longer multi-throw holes.
-The long holes especially are just fun. 9 is a long drive that is less open at the pin than it first appears. 11 is probably the signature hole and plays from elevation, over a creek, and then up the far side through the live oaks.
-Uses trees, water, and sloping greens well to add a little risk to the shorter holes on the property.
Cons: -Signage and tees are terrible. Its really a shame that a course that has the potential to be really a great course is so impacted by these things but they really do lower the rating. The club has been prevented from installing permanent tees by the park and moves the natural tees as often as they can but the tees are just not sufficient for the kinds of power you want to put on the longer throws here. With the tees being blocks in the ground and no signage there are often first timers wandering around looking for tees.
Other Thoughts: This was my home course for several years, right around the corner from my house and i still put in a couple rounds a month here. I think it's the best of the Richmond courses and therefore feel a sense of frustration that the little things that would make this course a 4 or 4.5 can't or haven't been done. That being said the park and holes alone make this a great round of golf and a ton of fun. It requires a different kind of golf than the other courses in the area, in particular it requires an approach game instead of just presenting you with 18 reachable par threes. I encourage anyone in the area to stop in and play here and if improvements ever get made to tees and signage this will be one of the best courses in the state.

1    7/27/2013   7/30/2013
Review By: roadtrip
Pros: Close to and easily accessible from the highway. Pretty park - huge trees, open grassy, hilly fields, a stream, a pond. Two tees on every hole. A nice variety of shots. There are a few trees on just about every hole. They don't force any one line, but they rule out several lines. So you'll need a variety of shots to get through the course. Some very memorable holes - 11 is a long downhill with one tree between the tee and a creek, at the bottom of the hill. Then the hole runs uphill on the other side of the creek, with a few more trees to contend with. Very long hole. 16 was a water carry, but a very do-able carry. Unlike a course like Fountain Hills in AZ that requires a long toss to keep your disc, this may be about 175 or 200 flat feet of water. Lots of birdie opportunities and a few ace runs.
Easy access back to the highway.
Cons: Navigation. The directions get you to the park, but not to the first tee. Tees are dirt, some of them are hard to see. They're only marked by wooden blocks on the ground. The maps on this site are helpful, but you need the maps for just about every hole (and they still require some searching). You don't often see the basket you're aiming for. Sometimes you see a different basket, which can be confusing. There are also holes with crossed streams - you're sharing fairway space with another hole. And there was at least one hole where the basket is very close to another hole's narrow fairway. I can't remember which holes are involved, but I heard a disc whiz by me as I was putting out. No benches or trash cans, though that doesn't really affect my rating. The dirt/rocky tee pads caused me to slip a few times.
Other Thoughts: Half the time I liked this course and half the time I hated it. That seemed to warrant a 2.5 but I bumped it up thinking I'd like the course more if I lived here and knew my way around. It wasn't in great shape, but I might have just caught it at a bad time. Grass was growing up, patches of weeds made obstacles where they didn't really need to be. A little TLC and some amenities would have really helped. Just up 195 from Carytown, which is a cool place to drop off your roadtrip guests if they're not into disc golf. A good place for a beer afterward, as well.

A Pleasant Surprise

1    7/25/2013   7/25/2013
Review By: krob190
Pros: The scenery at this course is second to none. The park is filled the old oak trees that provide a tranquile feel throughout the entire course. The layout uses the unique characteristics of each tree to pose a challenge on each hole even when the fairway is predominately wide open.

This course is a Birdiefest! The par 4s are short in overall distance and you will have a birdie putt on nearly every hole. That being said, the architects did a nice job of putting slopes running away from you behind many of the baskets causing a risk/reward style of putting throughout the round.
Cons: Signage!! This course desperately needs hole signs at each tee. If not for having my smart phone on me and using a course map from the PDGA website, I would not have found a few of these tees. Since the park is mostly open, there are times you may see 3 or 4 baskets from a tee box so the map is key to navigation.
Other Thoughts: I was impressed by how well the course flowed once you knew where to find the next hole. You realize you are weaving back and forth within a park and are seeing much of the same surroundings multiple times, but the character in the trees and lakes makes you feel as though you are going for an endless stroll with plenty to look at.

Hole #14 is truly incredible. It is a downhill par 4 with a slight dogleg left, but with a neighborhood street far right and water to the left, it really gives you all you can handle. Forcing you to throw your drive on a rope to avoid a line of trees and allow for an open shot to the basket, the tee shot requires full concentration. Although the hole is not long, the basket is well guarded by water and wasteland so a birdie is not a guarantee even after a perfect drive. Definitely a signature hole!

I look forward to playing this course again soon.

Richmond Gem!

1    6/21/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - Located in a great city park.
- I interacted with several local players on my round, and they had so much pride in this course. Played the back nine with a local player recommend doing the same if you visit the course.
- The trees on the course are majestic. It is a real joy to play so many holes with all of the towering oaks.
- Nice mix of long and short holes
- I also love the use of the hills and of course the two water holes.
- Some courses are much more memorable to me than others, I instantly loved this one and would strongly recommend anyone to check it out. Can't wait til my next round there myself.
Cons: - Would be nice if they invested in tee signs. You would be able to gauge the outline of each hole and more easily navigate from one hole to the next.
- I saw a few other posts commenting on the natural tee pads. I have never minded natural tee pads myself and found virtually all of them to be level and in good shape. So no problem at all for me.
Other Thoughts: - Great location off of I-95
- I pass through Richmond fairly regularly and I have struggled to figure out a go to course. Can't believe Bryan park has been off my radar. Definitely the best course to go to in the Richmond area in terms of convenience and quality.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7