Mahwah, NJ
Campgaw Reservation - Green Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #17 (Taken 6/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
I love progress!!!

5+    12/21/2013   12/25/2013
Review By: DEG III
Pros: Signage exists now and is a huge improvement!!
I still strongly suggest a map if you've never played. Really fun course, great exercise!!
Cons: Need tee pads badly especially hole 1, it's close enough to the road that concrete shouldn't be an issue there, and it is always flooded in the winter because of the snow making and weather.
Other Thoughts: If you are used to playing the black/blue course this is a definite step down in difficulty. Also, be aware that the rocky terrain can bang your disc up quite a bit, even the greens around the baskets are very rocky.

Hard but fun

1    10/20/2013   10/25/2013
Review By: EWSdiscgolf
This review was updated on 6/1/2014
Pros: -Really nice view on 16
-Holes are short, but challenging due to trees, elevation, and boulders
-Hole 17 is awesome..., it is so steep!
-It wasn't crowded
-A lot of parking
-nice baskets
Cons: - The tees are faded so it's hard to know where to throw from
- Lots of garbage on the course
- 15 was hard to navigate
Other Thoughts: This was good...

A wonderful course, I can't wait to play all 3

1    10/23/2013   10/23/2013
Review By: Marcis
This review was updated on 10/30/2013
Pros: I loved this course, I am from Pennsylvania, Sellersville location. The green course was like a combination of South Mountain, and Blue Mountain.

Thanks Eric for showing me around, had a great time!
Cons: only one (see below). I played with a local so every hole was easy to find. I think that if I played by myself I would have had no trouble finding each hole. for the most part tees can be seen easily from the end of the hole, and if you can't see the tee, a clear path is available. If I was playing the big monster course this may have been a bit more challenging, but the green course was well marked.

The only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is because the Tees were natural, I would love to see rubber, or concrete here. That is really my only complaint, I love this course otherwise, can't wait to come back. FOR ME natural tee's are not a problem, I currently don't have a run up so I have the luxury of standing still, this only cost me 20-50 feet compared to people I play with who do the run up.
Other Thoughts: I loved it, reminded me of 2 of my favorite home courses mixed into one. I highly recommend playing this course!

I almost aced hole 17. I am not a pro, or anything close to that. I threw a comet Mid-range disc straight down the fairway 10-15 feet past the basket on the left. My furthest drive ever. I just got the comet disc, and it was my 3rd time ever throwing the disc!

Nice course

1    7/24/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Beautiful under the mature trees.

Elevation changes are not too extreme, except for 8, which is short enough that it's kind of fun.
Cons: Hole layouts are confusing. I missed one around 15-16-17 and had to go back to figure it out.

Too many fallen trees around 18 but I imagine that will be cleaned up.
Other Thoughts: I would definitely come back here when I'm in the area.

identity crisis

1    6/9/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: raynger27
Pros: This course is located in a section of NJ that otherwise lacks a course, so that is a plus. From the main roads, there were "Disc Golf" signs to point you to the parking lot. Speaking of, there was tons of parking available. The Discatcher baskets stand out on this highly wooded course, and overall the tee signs do a decent job of giving you the general trajectory of the hole (you just have to find the sign first). I found the tee signs to be clear compared to over reviewers, so it appears a recent update was made in this area. Underbrush that would hide a disc is minimal.
Cons: Although the road signs helped point me to the lot, once I got there I had trouble locating the first tee. Luckily, I ran into two helpful gents who pointed me in the right direction. This course doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. With the blue/black and green courses intermingling in the same real estate, navigation was a severe challenge. There were some signs of help, tiny next tee signs here and there, but overall the course just lacked flow and a sense of harmony. To me, it played like baskets in a forest with not much rhyme or reason. Due to the overlapping courses, the baskets also lacked number labels, adding to confusion for a first timer. The tee boxes were natural and dreadful. Roots, water puddles, ruts.
Other Thoughts: There weren't too many memorable holes overall. That being said, hole 17 was neat, a downhill 405 ft par 3 in a narrow tunnel where you could really let one fly and watch it go and go. I played two days after a heavy rain and the course was a wet mess; impossible to avoid mud and water puddles. Bring a towel for your discs and a pair of shoes to drive home in. It was that bad and unavoidable. Not sure if I just picked a bad day, or if it is always that way after even the smallest rain.

The course would benefit from trimming some saplings just off the fairway. On about half the holes, a decent shot that is unfortunate enough to hit a tree and sail off the fairway can find itself with zero opportunity to get back to par because there is zero throwing lane other than the fairway. I am all for punishing errant shots, but as it stands, this seems cruel and unusual.

I came from the Lehigh Valley in PA, so maybe I am spoiled with some of the courses I play here on a regular basis, but this course seems way overrated to me based on the average scores of other reviews, Maybe that is due to its location in a disc golf dead zone, I don't know. I grew up in NJ (moved before I discovered dg) so this is my home and I was excited to check this course out. Definitely left disappointed.

5+    6/5/2013   6/6/2013
Review By: TKdicker
This review was updated on 6/19/2013
Pros: Nice signage, relatively clean (garbage bags on every 2nd or 3rd hole), lots of shade (almost entire course), nice use of terrain (a few serious uphill/downhill holes), nice accuracy challenge for beginners (most holes are narrow and heavily wooded), huge parking lot, yellow band across top of basket easy to locate from a distance.
Cons: Rough terrain, down trees, rocky, watch your step, wet in spots, but not too bad, every hole is par 3 (a couple longer holes would be nice...I guess you can play Mighty Gaw layout for that)
Other Thoughts: Only the 3rd course I've played, so my rating could change as I haven't much to compare it to.

Green aint too mean

1    5/22/2013   6/5/2013
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
Good shot variety
Interesting forest scenery
Interesting wildlife here and there
A fair course for beginners to average players
Cons:
Tees are mostly dirt
A little tricky to navigate in spots
No restrooms/water that I could see
Lotsa bugs (could be seasonal)
The ski run area has high grass that is VERY WET (again, likely seasonal)
Tips:
Bring a map
When you arrive, park and head towards the ski lifts. When you see buildings, walk in front of them and go all the way to the left into the forest to find tee #1. This wasn't totally clear to me on the map(s).

Random Thoughts:
So obviously you need to read both the Green and Blue/Black reviews to know what you're getting out here although this is one case where the three courses really are quite different. To start, this was my first 'ski lift' course and I was really looking forward to seeing what that would be like. Overall I was not disappointed. Fortunately, this was a small ski lift so it was more attainable from a physical exertion standpoint. Having said that though, be prepared. This is a good 2-3 hour hike, and I said 'hike' back there, not walk. It's pretty steep and pretty rocky in places, so wear proper foot wear and take care where you step. As for the course, my first bit of advice would be, don't think you're going to play more than one course at a time. Despite the sharing of some fairways and baskets, it's really not realistic considering the distances involved with the Blue/Black courses. Just stick to the Green and you'll be ok. Unfortunately, there aren't any 'top of the world' shots on the Green course; the closest is #17 which is a fun long downhill shot, but you can always go back to the top of the hill and play those scenic ones after. The Green course is really quite fair from a par perspective. It does demand accurate throws of the variety that are mostly straight for the first half of the flight, but even nicking a tree doesn't mean you can't make par. I found that as long as you didn't string two bad throws together, par was very attainable. Navigation is pretty easy although there are a couple spots where finding the next tee did get tricky due to the distance between holes and the overlapping courses. Keep your head on a swivel and you'll see signs. Note to course maintainers: These navigation signs would be much easier to see in neon orange or something. Dull white makes them blend into the forest a bit. There was also a basket missing (I think #15 maybe?), and I mean just the basket part. The chains and pole were there. Odd and a first for me. =)

Bottom Line:
A really good beginner course that demands control over distance. It very much reminded me of the forest courses we have here on the West Coast. I can't imagine what it's like playing in the winter time but I would love to find out.

Overrated average course with one signature hole.

1    6/24/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: Signage, some holes had long and short tees. Discatcher baskets
Lots of wooded holes with some nice elevation changes. The rocks add a good bit of scenery as well.
Hole 17 is the clear signature hole with the basket extremely elevated throwing down to the basket.
Holes 8,13, 15,16, and 18 were enjoyable or memorable holes.
Cons: Serious lack of maintenance.
Signage is falling apart, the backs of the signs are totally different holes, so it could cause confusion.
tees were in rough shape with rocks and roots creating problems. Signature hole 17's tee pad was basically 4 feet by 4 feet because that was all that was usable. Tee 1 was a dirt tee, tee 3 was concrete, tee 4 was gravel.

Baskets are unlabled, all have velcro for numbers, but no numbers (probably due to the 2 layouts)

Grass was up to knee high on several holes. Holes 12-14 were nearly unplayable with out a spotter, which is a shame because 13 had the interesting boulder infront of the basket.

Lots of garbage scattered around baskets.

Set up on the site as 2 courses, this is not 2 courses. This is a seasonal course that changes layouts.
Other Thoughts: I read about the amazing views and holes that made you want to clear out your bag, but hole 17 was the only hole where I was tempted to throw a second disc. (holes 12-14 I was tempted not to throw at all) I was also hoping for 2 tees on each hole to play it twice, but there were not 2 tees and even if their were, I would not have played it again.

Wooded hills

1    8/24/2011   11/3/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course circles the ski hill in the surrounding woods. The Green layout stays completely in the trees, offering technical lines and some punishment for errant shots with light rough and lots of trees. There is elevation on most of the holes, and it's used pretty well to keep things interesting. There are a couple steeply uphill shots and some fun downhills. Elevation and rock piles around greens add some challenge to the short game with rollaway potential.

There is some length variety, most holes are fairly short but the elevation changes make some play longer or shorter. There is basic signage for both layouts, and a good set of course maps online. We didn't have a problem following the green layout at all.
Cons: The tees are terrible. They're natural pads that are rutted out and have roots and rocks sticking up waiting to break your ankles. At times the signage can be a little confusing, with the black sign on one side and the green on the other, make sure you look at both sides. There are some long walks that would have been a bit confusing without the course map.

The course has a lot of holes with left turning shots, it seemed like there was room to design a more balanced course with a little better hole shape variety. A few areas of the course hold water and can get a bit swampy. Some of the steeper hills have erosion issues and can be difficult to walk in wet conditions.
Other Thoughts: There is pretty good fun factor here, the technical lines and elevation combined with the rocks make for some interesting shots. Beginners will find the distances reasonable, and though you can get kicked pretty far off the fairway on an errant shot there are lines for recovery shots. More experienced players won't find it terribly challenging, most of the course is mid and putter practice for better players. I would definitely stop here again if I'm in the area, especially during the season when the black layout is available too.

technical challenge

5+    10/26/2011   10/27/2011
Review By: Peterb
Pros: - awesome terrain changes
- beautiful trees
- well designed challenging, yet gettable shots
- never crowded despite being close to NYC
- plentiful parking
- nice baskets
- sense of seclusion pervades the entire course
- good mix of straight, left, and right turning shots
- excellent use of elevation changes. Several uphill shots on the front nine, accentuated by the difficult 8th hole, which is a fairly extreme uphill shot. Nice drop offs and basket positioning on several holes. Hole 17 is indeed a gem of a tunnel shot, quickly dropping at least 40 feet from the tee and then sloping gently most of the fairway to the basket.
- other amenities available, like bathrooms, and a soda machine with gatorade
- benches at most tees
Cons: - tee pads are mostly natural and a bit rutted. Perhaps understandable in the context of the ski hill course, but concrete would be a major upgrade here.
- signage is inconsistent and unless you know the course, can be difficult to follow. This needs to be rectified for this permanent course. The kiosk says that all the tees will be marked with the green circle (to maintain consistency with the ski hill system) but as of 10/26/2011, the signage doesn't readily indicate this.
- course drainage is a problem on the holes at the bottom of the hill. This affects holes 1-4, and holes 17-18. Boots are recommended
- a few too many RHBH hyzer holes. Overall the course has good but not great balance. A few new basket positions would cure that.
- no need for drivers. The entire course can be played with midranges and putters. Maybe a little more length would be good? Though I suppose if you want length, the mighty gaw gives it to you.
- the infinite amount of boulders and rocks make groundplay unpredictable and will chew up your plastic.
Other Thoughts: All in all, campgaw is a very nice course. If it had concrete tees and was a bit more balanced out I would give it 4.5 stars. I highly recommend playing the course in the autumn (though do not use orange, yellow, or red discs!) as the scenery of the leaves in full foliage is unforgettable. I like to take a jog and play this course with 2 or 3 discs, though the footing is tricky for anyone, so be careful out there. I do love how easy it is to get to from the NYC area, and how seemingly unpopular the course is (especially compared to other courses in metro areas). Has the disc golf bug not hit northern jersey yet? I know there are some amazing courses, but perhaps the bada bing! is a bigger draw...

< Prev 1 2 3