Mahwah, NJ
Campgaw Reservation - Green Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #5 (Taken 6/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
very nice property, close to a very nice course

2-4    10/28/2014   11/10/2014
Review By: hawk12
Pros: Great piece of land with nice old growth trees, excellent elevation changes and different degrees of slope across the land.
Nice baskets, good tee signage, great views from the top of the hill (not gonna call it a mountain out of respect for real mountains).
The layout/design was pretty cool, good variety, and with the other layouts (Blue & Black matching ski difficulties) it's an overall bonus on the property. But since this is the Green course, I'll stick to that.
Loved some of the holes, made you shape shots, and seemed to play even for BH & FH players, would need more times around than 2 to really get a better feel.
Flow through the property allowed you to experience what all parts of the hill surrounding the ski slopes look like, and the hilly sides and less steep top and bottom holes provided good variety.
Great next tee signs, painted with arrows for Green, Blue or Black, withe the hole #s appropriate for each layout.
Loved a few holes, #4 and #17 just had great lines. Holes 12 & 14 also seemd to play well off each other for the FH/BH and make players throw all the shots. There are more, I'm just pointing out those that stood out to me.

Hole 3s tee pad was the only concrete pad I saw, it was nearly perfect, level, solid and big enough (or very close for those with bigger run ups). More of these please?
I understand this course plays around the ski hill to allow for year round play, outstanding use of space and property for a mulit-use facility.
Cons: The designer might have found a way to navigate more ups and downs on the 'left' side over by holes 1-10, there is some very steep slopes that could've made an awesome downhill drive (even if its a putter shot), and walked around the steep, to allow for more elevation changes. Maybe that's on the Black course more and I am asking something that is already done elsewhere...
As noted above, the next tee signs are great, but only on about half the holes. As I played in a time of year with lots of fresh leaves down, it was hard to find some of the paths to the next holes... Really got turned about from 9-10, there were two walking paths up top and I choose poorly...

Some of the baskets have suffer frost heave and the posts are no longer level, not an easy thing to dig deep enough on this type of ground, but the effort would really make the chains rest down instead of lean on the side of the posts...

OK, so my biggest issue is the tee pads. I know, hard rocky ground is tough to level out, and geting materials into some of these locations is not easy either, and its a LOT of work on each pad; but they were rutted and had hard pack soil with small stones that slid under my feet a lot. This caused many errant tee shots, and with some work this negative could become a positive.

I know most of my cons are "fixable" and I'm nitpicking to some, but these are factors that contribute to a very good course, and Campgaw is close...
Other Thoughts: With some tee pad work, more driectional signs, and leveling some baskets this place could be an easy 4, but they were a detractor for me.

These are not easy fixes, and will take time and hard work - but that's what a very good/great course takes.

All that said, I would make the 2 hour drive to this course for sure, and I would come out to play in a tournament here as well. The pros out weight the cons for me and I really enjoyed the setting.
Both the casual player and tournament player can be rewarded with a fun time, and a risk/reward score. Nice course, close to being a very good course.

Campgaw Reservation Suggested

1    8/19/2014   9/8/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Campgaw Reservation Green layout is short on the majority of its 18 holes, and this is kind of a plus with the mountainous nature of the land. When you arrive in the parking lot, walk the path past the practice basket, the rental stand, the ski patrol, and past the screened patio to the 1st tee. The first and second holes are in trees at the foot of the hill, but on flatter ground. One is short and turns to the right, and two is longer and to the left. Three is back in the direction of hill, over 300 feet, and straightforward. Four is slightly uphill, and makes you choose a gap in the trees to make the green, but still very reachable around 225'. 5 and 6 pick their way through the trees, gradually up the hill, in short measures. 7 is a bit longer in the 300' range, and requiring a narrow line to the pin. I won't give the exact language when I first saw hole 8, but there was a four-letter word and an exclamation point. 209 on the scorecard, but closer to vertical than horizontal. Ok, thats an exaggeration, but it was steep. 9 and 10 are a bit longer, but returning to less extreme footing, both dogleg left. 11 is a fun attempt to run one close for a birdie, and 12 comes into the open, grassy space climbing noticeably. 13-16 finish the run at along the top of the hill, before making the turn and coming down the mountain. 13 and 16 are shorter, 14 and 15 in the 300' range. Mixed lefts and rights through more trees and around the occasional boulder. Everything prior to hole 17 is disc golfing, but just putting in the legwork to get here. 17 tee box is in a bright patch of sun, high above the basket in the forrest below. 400'+ but reachable if you can negotiate a lot of mature trees, once you reach the point of entry about 100' out of the box. I bogeyed, but on an extra throw I was able to put one 30' past the pin. 18 finishes out nicely through more heavy trees and rocks, not far from the parking lot.

Navigation from hole to hole is not hard to follow, and there are some rudimentary signs that effectively guide you along. All baskets are good.
Cons: Tee boxes were kind of an issue on a few of the limited times you want to reach back for a little extra power. Improving these would probably make the rating a 4 to me. The 4600' green layout may be a little weak for the big arm, pro level guys. I am curious about the black diamond layout. I saw it on a paper map, and where the signs were pointing as I walked the greens. It looked rough, and much more difficult, with heavy growth and hard to distinguish lines.
Other Thoughts: Campgaw Reservation Green was fun, and had two or three great holes. Cool course, but not at full potential. Natural tees subject to erosion and poor footing was a factor on a hole like 8. Installing better tees would be hard work, and may have maintenance issues, but would be nice. Glad to get the chance to play, and worth a look, but don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. I scored a 56 (2 over par) on a birdie and 3 bogeys. I missed too many putts, as usual. Lots of room for improvement, under par by several shots isn't unrealistic.

I love progress!!!

5+    12/21/2013   12/25/2013
Review By: DEG III
Pros: Signage exists now and is a huge improvement!!
I still strongly suggest a map if you've never played. Really fun course, great exercise!!
Cons: Need tee pads badly especially hole 1, it's close enough to the road that concrete shouldn't be an issue there, and it is always flooded in the winter because of the snow making and weather.
Other Thoughts: If you are used to playing the black/blue course this is a definite step down in difficulty. Also, be aware that the rocky terrain can bang your disc up quite a bit, even the greens around the baskets are very rocky.

Hard but fun

1    10/20/2013   10/25/2013
Review By: EWSdiscgolf
This review was updated on 6/1/2014
Pros: -Really nice view on 16
-Holes are short, but challenging due to trees, elevation, and boulders
-Hole 17 is awesome..., it is so steep!
-It wasn't crowded
-A lot of parking
-nice baskets
Cons: - The tees are faded so it's hard to know where to throw from
- Lots of garbage on the course
- 15 was hard to navigate
Other Thoughts: This was good...

A wonderful course, I can't wait to play all 3

1    10/23/2013   10/23/2013
Review By: Marcis
This review was updated on 10/30/2013
Pros: I loved this course, I am from Pennsylvania, Sellersville location. The green course was like a combination of South Mountain, and Blue Mountain.

Thanks Eric for showing me around, had a great time!
Cons: only one (see below). I played with a local so every hole was easy to find. I think that if I played by myself I would have had no trouble finding each hole. for the most part tees can be seen easily from the end of the hole, and if you can't see the tee, a clear path is available. If I was playing the big monster course this may have been a bit more challenging, but the green course was well marked.

The only reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is because the Tees were natural, I would love to see rubber, or concrete here. That is really my only complaint, I love this course otherwise, can't wait to come back. FOR ME natural tee's are not a problem, I currently don't have a run up so I have the luxury of standing still, this only cost me 20-50 feet compared to people I play with who do the run up.
Other Thoughts: I loved it, reminded me of 2 of my favorite home courses mixed into one. I highly recommend playing this course!

I almost aced hole 17. I am not a pro, or anything close to that. I threw a comet Mid-range disc straight down the fairway 10-15 feet past the basket on the left. My furthest drive ever. I just got the comet disc, and it was my 3rd time ever throwing the disc!

Nice course

1    7/24/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Beautiful under the mature trees.

Elevation changes are not too extreme, except for 8, which is short enough that it's kind of fun.
Cons: Hole layouts are confusing. I missed one around 15-16-17 and had to go back to figure it out.

Too many fallen trees around 18 but I imagine that will be cleaned up.
Other Thoughts: I would definitely come back here when I'm in the area.

identity crisis

1    6/9/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: raynger27
Pros: This course is located in a section of NJ that otherwise lacks a course, so that is a plus. From the main roads, there were "Disc Golf" signs to point you to the parking lot. Speaking of, there was tons of parking available. The Discatcher baskets stand out on this highly wooded course, and overall the tee signs do a decent job of giving you the general trajectory of the hole (you just have to find the sign first). I found the tee signs to be clear compared to over reviewers, so it appears a recent update was made in this area. Underbrush that would hide a disc is minimal.
Cons: Although the road signs helped point me to the lot, once I got there I had trouble locating the first tee. Luckily, I ran into two helpful gents who pointed me in the right direction. This course doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. With the blue/black and green courses intermingling in the same real estate, navigation was a severe challenge. There were some signs of help, tiny next tee signs here and there, but overall the course just lacked flow and a sense of harmony. To me, it played like baskets in a forest with not much rhyme or reason. Due to the overlapping courses, the baskets also lacked number labels, adding to confusion for a first timer. The tee boxes were natural and dreadful. Roots, water puddles, ruts.
Other Thoughts: There weren't too many memorable holes overall. That being said, hole 17 was neat, a downhill 405 ft par 3 in a narrow tunnel where you could really let one fly and watch it go and go. I played two days after a heavy rain and the course was a wet mess; impossible to avoid mud and water puddles. Bring a towel for your discs and a pair of shoes to drive home in. It was that bad and unavoidable. Not sure if I just picked a bad day, or if it is always that way after even the smallest rain.

The course would benefit from trimming some saplings just off the fairway. On about half the holes, a decent shot that is unfortunate enough to hit a tree and sail off the fairway can find itself with zero opportunity to get back to par because there is zero throwing lane other than the fairway. I am all for punishing errant shots, but as it stands, this seems cruel and unusual.

I came from the Lehigh Valley in PA, so maybe I am spoiled with some of the courses I play here on a regular basis, but this course seems way overrated to me based on the average scores of other reviews, Maybe that is due to its location in a disc golf dead zone, I don't know. I grew up in NJ (moved before I discovered dg) so this is my home and I was excited to check this course out. Definitely left disappointed.

5+    6/5/2013   6/6/2013
Review By: TKdicker
This review was updated on 6/19/2013
Pros: Nice signage, relatively clean (garbage bags on every 2nd or 3rd hole), lots of shade (almost entire course), nice use of terrain (a few serious uphill/downhill holes), nice accuracy challenge for beginners (most holes are narrow and heavily wooded), huge parking lot, yellow band across top of basket easy to locate from a distance.
Cons: Rough terrain, down trees, rocky, watch your step, wet in spots, but not too bad, every hole is par 3 (a couple longer holes would be nice...I guess you can play Mighty Gaw layout for that)
Other Thoughts: Only the 3rd course I've played, so my rating could change as I haven't much to compare it to.

Green aint too mean

1    5/22/2013   6/5/2013
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
Good shot variety
Interesting forest scenery
Interesting wildlife here and there
A fair course for beginners to average players
Cons:
Tees are mostly dirt
A little tricky to navigate in spots
No restrooms/water that I could see
Lotsa bugs (could be seasonal)
The ski run area has high grass that is VERY WET (again, likely seasonal)
Tips:
Bring a map
When you arrive, park and head towards the ski lifts. When you see buildings, walk in front of them and go all the way to the left into the forest to find tee #1. This wasn't totally clear to me on the map(s).

Random Thoughts:
So obviously you need to read both the Green and Blue/Black reviews to know what you're getting out here although this is one case where the three courses really are quite different. To start, this was my first 'ski lift' course and I was really looking forward to seeing what that would be like. Overall I was not disappointed. Fortunately, this was a small ski lift so it was more attainable from a physical exertion standpoint. Having said that though, be prepared. This is a good 2-3 hour hike, and I said 'hike' back there, not walk. It's pretty steep and pretty rocky in places, so wear proper foot wear and take care where you step. As for the course, my first bit of advice would be, don't think you're going to play more than one course at a time. Despite the sharing of some fairways and baskets, it's really not realistic considering the distances involved with the Blue/Black courses. Just stick to the Green and you'll be ok. Unfortunately, there aren't any 'top of the world' shots on the Green course; the closest is #17 which is a fun long downhill shot, but you can always go back to the top of the hill and play those scenic ones after. The Green course is really quite fair from a par perspective. It does demand accurate throws of the variety that are mostly straight for the first half of the flight, but even nicking a tree doesn't mean you can't make par. I found that as long as you didn't string two bad throws together, par was very attainable. Navigation is pretty easy although there are a couple spots where finding the next tee did get tricky due to the distance between holes and the overlapping courses. Keep your head on a swivel and you'll see signs. Note to course maintainers: These navigation signs would be much easier to see in neon orange or something. Dull white makes them blend into the forest a bit. There was also a basket missing (I think #15 maybe?), and I mean just the basket part. The chains and pole were there. Odd and a first for me. =)

Bottom Line:
A really good beginner course that demands control over distance. It very much reminded me of the forest courses we have here on the West Coast. I can't imagine what it's like playing in the winter time but I would love to find out.

Overrated average course with one signature hole.

1    6/24/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: Signage, some holes had long and short tees. Discatcher baskets
Lots of wooded holes with some nice elevation changes. The rocks add a good bit of scenery as well.
Hole 17 is the clear signature hole with the basket extremely elevated throwing down to the basket.
Holes 8,13, 15,16, and 18 were enjoyable or memorable holes.
Cons: Serious lack of maintenance.
Signage is falling apart, the backs of the signs are totally different holes, so it could cause confusion.
tees were in rough shape with rocks and roots creating problems. Signature hole 17's tee pad was basically 4 feet by 4 feet because that was all that was usable. Tee 1 was a dirt tee, tee 3 was concrete, tee 4 was gravel.

Baskets are unlabled, all have velcro for numbers, but no numbers (probably due to the 2 layouts)

Grass was up to knee high on several holes. Holes 12-14 were nearly unplayable with out a spotter, which is a shame because 13 had the interesting boulder infront of the basket.

Lots of garbage scattered around baskets.

Set up on the site as 2 courses, this is not 2 courses. This is a seasonal course that changes layouts.
Other Thoughts: I read about the amazing views and holes that made you want to clear out your bag, but hole 17 was the only hole where I was tempted to throw a second disc. (holes 12-14 I was tempted not to throw at all) I was also hoping for 2 tees on each hole to play it twice, but there were not 2 tees and even if their were, I would not have played it again.

< Prev 1 2 3