Largo, FL
Taylor Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #7 (Taken 9/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Almost better than Cliff

1    2/18/2015   2/24/2015
Review By: EWSdiscgolf
Pros: -The course is very well maintained. Everything is great from the signs to the super long tee pads and nice baskets.
- Course has a nice flow and first timers will not have to worry about getting lost
- No holes were too long; most were around 250, which is a nice length for amateurs
- Just enough trees and water to make it hard but not frustrating
- Good variety of tighter and open holes
- Tee pads have shoe cleaners, bag hangers and benches, which makes the course feel like a Selah Ranch
- There was a warning of disc golf in the area and that always is a good sign
- Nice people to ask just in case you couldn't find a certain hole
- There was a great shaded practice area with two practice baskets
- Two tees per hole, so pros and ams can play
Cons: - Many baskets in view of some tees
- A couple holes backtrack on each other, which when busy could be a problem with many discs flying around
- No holes to really air out and chuck it as far as you can
- Lots of non golfing pedestrians to watch for
- The park was kind of hard to get into, you had to snake all the way around the park to the entrance and go on this side road
Other Thoughts: It is an interesting course with a couple of nice additions. I didn't see any alligators, and I came here thinking I would see one. Definitely have to watch out for other people, both golfers and non. Come here if you are in the area because this is a nice solid course.

fantastic

1    12/27/2014   1/17/2015
Review By: boursin
Pros: great pads, great baskets, nice people. The signage is great, the course is easy to navigate.there are easy holes and some very challenging ones. the bell on # 2 is a nice touch. Varied pin placements add to the challenge. I will definitely be back.
Cons: can not think of any
Other Thoughts: The pro comments says it all. Wow what a great course. The league has done a great job. it is obvious that a lot of time and effort is put in to keep this course maintained. the league even has there own business cards. If you are in the area place this course.

johnny4put

1    10/22/2014   10/26/2014
Review By: johnny4put
Pros: Beautiful course. Well groomed. Nice signage. Concrete tees. Very easy to navagate.
Cons: Cant think of any.
Other Thoughts: I would play it again in a heartbeat. It was my favorite course while visiting the Tampa area. Loved it.

Tests every shot in disc golf

1    10/17/2014   10/18/2014
Review By: noscope
Pros: 1. Has different hole locations
2. Tests every type of shot in disc golf
3. Has some holes that have tight fairways and others where you can straight up bomb it.
Cons: 1. You can lose your disc in the water on a few holes if you're not safe but that's technically a challenge not a con
2. Like others have stated the course gets a little tight as you go to the last 5 holes
Other Thoughts: Course is really awesome and is right by a huge lake which is pretty when you go out to play.

Not what I was expecting

1    3/18/2014   3/19/2014
Review By: blueblur
Pros: A variety of shots. Course has great tee sign and 2 pads and alternate pin positions on some of the holes. Great baskets and good signs that show you to the next tee. Course plays on the side of a lake, so the scenery is nice too.
Cons: Some of the holes are a bit too close together. This could be dangerous in a shotgun start tournament with players on every hole. Three or four of the holes play next to a walking path with exercise stations. I had to wait for seven minutes for 2 ladies to finish their exercise station just behind the basket to throw safely. Having baskets near OB is a great way to add additional challenge to a hole. However, when the basket is only 5 feet from OB, about the worst that can happen is a circle 3. Two almost identical holes with the basket right next to OB. There are several holes with extremely narrow fairways through lots of trees. This is not very interesting course design in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: Would be a better 12 hole course than 18 because you could get away from walking paths and spread the holes out a bit.

Next Tee

1    1/17/2014   1/23/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: Generally, I'm not too concerned with the amenities of a course, as long as they are good enough to keep me playing and not wandering the wilderness. At Taylor Park, they stand out though. When I remember this course in the future, it won't be a signature hole that pops into my head. It will be those incredible tee signs. Those massive bag racks. More than anything, it might be those next-tee signs, with that font and those big helpful letters making sure I get to where I need to go.

The course flows really well. I jumped from hole to hole and didn't realize till near the end just how little space is occupied. Part of this is because of the flow and navigation but much of the credit has to go to the design. It's just a really impressive use of space. Squeezing in two fairways down that narrow stretch between the lake and the edge of the park would never have occurred to me. Yet it mostly works.

There are a few cool shots, especially 12, which has that small downhill through a a narrow tunnel which opens up for most of the fairway with the pin by the water. The placements the put the basket by the water were the best for me, and though all of the holes have several different spots for the target, 12 and 15 were there on the day I was. Not coincidentally, they were my favorite holes.

It's a well-appointed, intermediate-level course that, thanks to excellent navigation and flow, can be played quickly, although it may slow down more than most if it's busy.
Cons:
The limited space is, well, limiting. As the course goes down and back, parallel to the lake, it practically creates shared fairways for a number of holes. With a fence on side and lake on the other, there isn't really enough width to support two side-by-side fairways. Essentially it limits all of these holes to very straight shots or risky endeavors. It's mostly fine for forehanders like myself, but RHBH players will unfortunately have OB on their left for most of the course. That's not the major issue though. When the course is busy, players will often be in the firing range for players going the opposite way.

That's not the only area which is cramped enough to create a danger zone. The 18 and 3 pins essentially share a green. This is especially troublesome as the third tee is blind and close enough to make a run at the pin. (It's also the most likely opportunity for a black ace that I've seen.)

More importantly, or maybe less, there isn't much that will challenge an advanced player. The holes aren't very long, and they are all fairly open, so the better player may not find much to like here. At the same time, beginners may struggle with the OB and lose discs. So the amount of players that the course is suited for is fairly small. Now, I do fall into that intermediate category, but I recognize that many others will be not good enough or too good to fully enjoy it.

I wouldn't say that any of the holes here are truly bad(well, maybe 1). Just cramped. But there aren't any holes that I would describe as memorable either. It's a solid but unspectacular course with some nice obstacles but nothing approaching a signature hole. Given the acreage it must sit on, it's actually quite the achievement.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my round here and would definitely recommend it for anyone of a similar skill level. It's not too far from a few other courses and it's worth a shot if you're in the area. It's just not a get-out-there-now-and-play-it recommendation.

Worth the Stop

1    12/8/2013   12/31/2013
Review By: The Drake
Pros: As many have alluded to in their reviews probably the thing that stands out most about this course is its professional subtleties. Every hole has great benches with bag holders. The tee signs are very well done, giving accurate flight patterns and distances for each of the pin placements. Every few holes they have also installed shoe cleaners, something I've never seen on another disc golf course before. There are also brooms available on most tee pads.

In terms of course play each hole has multiple pin positions to increase variety of play. Not being local I don't know how often these are changed but given the general appearance of the course I would assume pretty frequently. Each hole, with the exception of the first has very clearly defined routes/pathways to the pin making for fair scoring opportunities.

The park in general is very nice and clean with other activities available for the non disc golfer. Clean bathrooms are located at the beginning of the course.
Cons: For all of the little extras added to make this course appealing for a "professional" feel unfortunately, at least for me, the challenge was not there. Hole 1 nearly scared me away from the course because of the lack of a defined fairway but fortunately the remainder of the course did not have that same flaw.

The first thing I noticed when I stepped up to the first tee pad was there was a group of golfers lining up their 2nd shots for hole 18 within 5 ft of the pad. Many of the holes are in very close proximity so if you're playing on a busy day be sure to watch out for errant drives.

The difficulty of the holes did leave something to be desired from a "pro" level of play. Many of the holes did play very similarly and I found myself throwing the same shot from the tee. There's not a lot of distance on the course with the exception of 10, 15, and 18. Even with these for average pro players every pin is reachable.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course plays as a 3.0 for me, an average course for scoring purposes, but like other before me the professional feel of a course with all the little amenities give it that something extra to boost it to a 3.5. That alone is worth making the stop to play this course.

Great course for a beginner up to intermediate level players, OK course for advanced and beyond.

Decent

1    12/24/2013   12/24/2013
Review By: Murderous Monkey
Pros: -multiple pin positions
-a couple holes have short and long pads
-shoe scrubbers, brooms, and concrete tees
-tee signs are informative/nice looking
-varied distances
-benches and bag holders
-Looked like 2 practice baskets
-for the most part, easy to get to next hole
-clean bathrooms
-"active" pins I believe they're called. Accurately denote which position the basket is in. Neat addition.
Cons: -many baskets in view of some tees
-a couple holes backtrack on each other, which when busy could be dangerous
-not necessarily a "con" but the lake is on the left which could easily eat some discs
-no holes to air out
-lots of non golfing individuals to watch for
-long drive into the lot, saw some locals park on a residential area which is much closer than "main" entrance. Would be nice if it were marked
Other Thoughts: Decent course, with nice extras. The locals I encountered were nice, helpful, and allowed me to play through. "Unfortunately" I didn't see any gators. Nice course, definitely have to watch out for other people, both golfers and non. I'd recommend if you're in the area.

Not a sole in sight

1    11/15/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: redsealking
Pros: This was the first course I played when visiting Florida.

First thing I noticed was a shoe cleaning device like you would see at a ball golf course, which blew my mind.
-Concrete pads are always a plus.
-Multiple pin locations offer a variety of looks for each hole.
-Didn't see a single piece of trash the whole round
Cons: -Not every basket was obvious from tee. There were a few holes where I could see more than one basket from the tee, and it took a bit to figure out the tee signs and correlate them with pin placement.
-There was not another golfer in the whole park when I played, but it was apparent that a lot of the holes were very close together and could get dangerous with more people of varying skill levels crowding the course.
Other Thoughts: First introduction to Florida golf, and was impressed by some amenities that I will be applying to my home courses in Texas.
**On hole 2 (I think), I could see a basket right up the middle through a tight gap. I pured a shot right up the gap, leaving myself a 20 foot putt. Walking up the fairway to my lie, I stumbled upon what was the basket I was supposed to be playing to. Long story short....pay attention to the signs!!!

Fantastic!

1    10/11/2013   10/20/2013
Review By: JCone
Pros: Lots of different shot. At a well organized park. Lots of different views. Very clean. Bathrooms.
Cons: If I have any its that there are some shots where there doesn't appear to be any traditional lines.
Other Thoughts: Great Course, came upon it by accident. Course deserves more exposure. Seems they have a very active club.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6