Largo, FL
Taylor Park Share
Uploaded By: 9ballwizzz Hole #1 (Taken 7/2010)

Decent

1    12/24/2013   12/24/2013
Review By: Murderous Monkey
Pros: -multiple pin positions
-a couple holes have short and long pads
-shoe scrubbers, brooms, and concrete tees
-tee signs are informative/nice looking
-varied distances
-benches and bag holders
-Looked like 2 practice baskets
-for the most part, easy to get to next hole
-clean bathrooms
-"active" pins I believe they're called. Accurately denote which position the basket is in. Neat addition.
Cons: -many baskets in view of some tees
-a couple holes backtrack on each other, which when busy could be dangerous
-not necessarily a "con" but the lake is on the left which could easily eat some discs
-no holes to air out
-lots of non golfing individuals to watch for
-long drive into the lot, saw some locals park on a residential area which is much closer than "main" entrance. Would be nice if it were marked
Other Thoughts: Decent course, with nice extras. The locals I encountered were nice, helpful, and allowed me to play through. "Unfortunately" I didn't see any gators. Nice course, definitely have to watch out for other people, both golfers and non. I'd recommend if you're in the area.

Not a sole in sight

1    11/15/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: redsealking
Pros: This was the first course I played when visiting Florida.

First thing I noticed was a shoe cleaning device like you would see at a ball golf course, which blew my mind.
-Concrete pads are always a plus.
-Multiple pin locations offer a variety of looks for each hole.
-Didn't see a single piece of trash the whole round
Cons: -Not every basket was obvious from tee. There were a few holes where I could see more than one basket from the tee, and it took a bit to figure out the tee signs and correlate them with pin placement.
-There was not another golfer in the whole park when I played, but it was apparent that a lot of the holes were very close together and could get dangerous with more people of varying skill levels crowding the course.
Other Thoughts: First introduction to Florida golf, and was impressed by some amenities that I will be applying to my home courses in Texas.
**On hole 2 (I think), I could see a basket right up the middle through a tight gap. I pured a shot right up the gap, leaving myself a 20 foot putt. Walking up the fairway to my lie, I stumbled upon what was the basket I was supposed to be playing to. Long story short....pay attention to the signs!!!

Fantastic!

1    10/11/2013   10/20/2013
Review By: JCone
Pros: Lots of different shot. At a well organized park. Lots of different views. Very clean. Bathrooms.
Cons: If I have any its that there are some shots where there doesn't appear to be any traditional lines.
Other Thoughts: Great Course, came upon it by accident. Course deserves more exposure. Seems they have a very active club.

Livin Large in Largo!

1    10/11/2013   10/14/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: Can I say creature comforts?!?! Seriously, this has to be the best course I've ever played in terms of everything you need to focus on just playing the game. Not only are there benches, bag hangers, trash cans, and bathrooms, there's also boot scrubbers at several holes and little brooms at every hole to dust off the tee pads. I've never played a course with so many amenities -- hats off to the local club that maintains this course!

Keeping in mind this is coastal Florida, there's not a lot of elevation, so the course does a great job using different shots, lies, and scenery to keep things interesting. I never once got bored playing here.

The active pin marking system is fantastic and something I wish the course designers in my native Kansas City would use more often. Again, just another way this course lets you focus on the game and not on wandering around or being confused.

While this course plays in a fairly busy park in Largo, there are signs abounding warning passerby to watch for flying discs, and the people I encountered walking their dogs/running were extremely friendly for the most part and seemed really aware that they were in a DG area. Again, kudos to the local residents and club for turning what's usually a big con into something positive.

The lake you play next to is gorgeous and makes a nice water hazard on a couple holes. I had to smile at the signs reminding you to watch for alligators (but seriously, this is Florida -- if there's water, there's a chance of gators, and not the blue and orange variety).

Again, the scenery on this course is really pretty and made for a very enjoyable round. It reminds you that in Florida, you don't have to be next to a beach to be in some really peaceful, gorgeous natural beauty.

Another huge kudos is in order for the local club for the FANTASTIC signage everywhere on the course. I spent no time wandering around; there's literally signs everywhere pointing you directly to the next tee from every basket.

Very friendly locals abounded to help me out, give pointers, and ever offer extra discs if I needed them -- thanks guys!

Signs at the tee are visually stunning and give you all the info you could ever need.

I played in October, so the course had dried out nicely and was ready for play. Even if it hadn't been, there was grass almost everywhere to help with being waterlogged. I hope to come back sometime in summer to see what it's like during the rainy season.

The shelters and playgrounds in this multi-use park were generally pretty secluded and wouldn't come into play save a horribly thrown drive, which I've been known to do, but was lucky enough to not do this time around. :)

There's great signage pointing you to the parking lot and ample parking. This park is pretty big and has a lot of non-DG areas, so I appreciated knowing where to go. Made it very easy.
Cons:
I feel bad listing this as a "con", but keep in mind this is coastal Florida -- there's not a lot of elevation on this course which will probably be very different for most of you from out of town.

While the people frequenting the trails around the park seemed very friendly and aware of the DG course, there are still trails that cut across, so think before you throw and remember that they can come into play occasionally.
Other Thoughts: This course is just southwest of the heart of Largo. Take 686 westbound from 275, left on Clearwater/Largo Road, and right on 8th Ave. You should see signs from here. Also, Bay Drive cuts over to the barrier islands at Bellair Beach, so if you're staying in Clearwater Beach like myself or on the other barrier islands it's a fairly easy drive.

As far as layout, scenery, and the like, this course is probably a solid 4.0. What sets it apart is the sheer amount of amenities and little touches that just take the game from good to truly enjoyable. I have never seen a better maintained, signed, thought-out course, and hats off to the local club that makes it all happen. Thanks for giving me a great place to play!

That's why Taylor Park gets a 4.5...when I got back to Kansas City, the gf and I went out to one of our local courses and I was searching for the pin position markers, benches galore, shoe scrubbers, and the like that I saw here. I'd love to see my local KC courses incorporate this (and also, pick up the garbage as well as was done here...maybe I can bring back some ideas!). It truly stands out in my mind for both the amazing play and the first-class experience of playing here.

To reiterate, 4.0 because of the course itself -- 4.5 due to the experience and ease of play. Because I felt it was everything a DG course should be and more. Happy discing in paradise!

Great course, great community

2-4    4/14/2013   9/1/2013
Review By: Treebeard
Pros: -Course layout is diverse, fun, and demanding at times.
-Course maintenance is top-notch.
-Enjoyable surroundings in the park, nice amount of shade.
-The local disc golf club/community was great. I showed up on one of their league days and had an absolute blast. One of the most friendly and best organized clubs I've encountered. I look forward to going back to play with them.
Cons: -Course only yelds a few bomb opportunities if that's something you're looking for.
-Not much elevation change but this is FL so it's really not bad for the area. Not really a fair con!
Other Thoughts: Stop by and check this course whenever you can, but if you get a chance to play with the local club you should get on that. They've got a bar across the street with good beer and food too; it's pretty awesome.

Touch of Class

1    6/14/2013   6/14/2013
Review By: davmer2303
Pros: * The course is very well taken care of. Everything is top notch from the signs to the pads and baskets.
* Course flows smoothly and first time players can find their way easily.
* Variety of distance ranges although no truly long holes.
* Just enough trees and water to make it interesting without being too penal.
* Good variety of in the woods contrasting with near the lake shots.
* Tee pads have shoe cleaners, bag hangers and benches. Everything feels high class.
* Signs present warning of disc golf in the area always helpful.
* Locals were very friendly and the neighborhood seems nice.
* Variety of other activities available as well.
Cons: * If you don't like throwing near walkers, then be careful, because there are plenty on the path by the water. They seemed to be pretty aware, and like anything else, just don't throw if there are people there.
* No real bomber holes, so if you have a big arm, you might not use it much here. On the other hand, great for those of us who throw 300 to 350.
* All in all, a wonderful course.
Other Thoughts: Taylor park is a gorgeous course beside a very fishy lake. I saw many people fishing and walking,and it seems like a nice place to spend a day. The course signage is just spot on. And, the little things, especially what I mentioned around the tees, really make this park a treat. I wish i lived a bit closer, because I would play this often. This lovely place was a real pleasure to play!

If You Like Disc Golf and Fishing...

2-4    6/14/2013   6/14/2013
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 12/2/2014
Pros: If you like disc golf and fishing, this may be the perfect course for you. There is a nice big lake that looked and smelled very clean. It comes into play a little bit on the dg course, but several people were fishing it, and I heard its a good spot to drop a line.

Speaking of clean, the whole park was very clean.

Mature trees abound, and the course makes good usage of them.

The course has a nice flow to it, and easy navigation.

Multiple pin placements, combined with excelent sinage enhance the overall experiance.

Very friendly locals.
Cons: The cons are minor.

There is a hiking trail that runs through part of the course. It seemed like most of the non-dgers were aware of the course though, and I noticed several "Warnig, Disc Golf" type signs scattered about the course. Still, care must be taken to avoid other park users.

More of a warning than a con: The speed limit is 15mph on the road that goes around the lake to the course, and is enforced by some nasty speed bumps and the local police dept.
Other Thoughts: This is a very charming course, and a must play in the greater Tampa area. Its somewhat short and technical in nature, but you'll apreciate all that shade in the summer time.

Don't get stressed ,practice

5+    2/17/2013   2/19/2013
Review By: Rustyham
Pros: First off, this course is swank. Two practice baskets, close parking (ample), close bathrooms and waterfountain. As for each hole, the baskets get moved about twice a month, each hole have between 2 and 4 positions. Each pad also has a coat (bag) rack, a bench, a very easy to read sign, shoe brushes and pad brooms. Definitely one of the best equipped and maintained courses out there.

Meanwhile, the holes are VARIED. Lots of sharp corners and tight windows, lots of obstructions to navigate, but it never feels accidental or hap-hazard, almost like the trees were grown specifically with the course in mind.
Cons: There is a lot of sand, which means a lot of ants. Don't stay in one place for too long. Definitely pay attention to the wind, it can turn your disc over and send it out over the lake. I wish there were more open air, long distance holes, right now there is only one (17), but I hope as the game gets more popular, they will a lot more land to the club and the course.
Other Thoughts: You should definitely try this place out. You'll use just about every throw in your arsenal, and you'll really learn how to not bite more than you can swallow. Aim for par here if you want a good score.

Beautiful course

2-4    11/19/2012   11/21/2012
Review By: KimBrennan
Pros: Very nice park. Artistic signs (on both short and long tees, with correct distance to the various pin placements.) Clean park, with restrooms.
Cons: As this is a multi use park, non disc golfers are frequently nearby. Several of the holes are parallel with the main walking path, which aggravates this problem.

The course is tightly packed into the available space, meaning that fairways are adjacent to each other (have to watch out for other golfers throws.)

Baskets do not have the hole number on them. Coupled with the closely knit other holes, it is sometimes possible to mis-identify which basket is appropriate for the hole you are on.

Lake hazard on several holes (and the lake has large alligators, so it is wise to avoid at all costs.)

No drop box for recovered lost discs.
Other Thoughts: While the tee signs are beautifully done, for a first timer on the course, I really preferred the photos as done at NE Coachman.

Taylor Park Review

1    10/23/2012   10/25/2012
Review By: dano3
Pros: Taylor Park is beautiful. The Parking is plentiful and the course is clean. There are plenty of signs leading the way to the next hole. Great pin placement with options for multiple pins.
Cons: several holes follow property boundary of homes. No Camping
Other Thoughts: Locals are very friendly. Unlike other Florida courses I played on my vacation.