Largo, FL
Taylor Park Share
Uploaded By: 9ballwizzz Hole #11 (Taken 7/2010)

Meh...

1    10/11/2011   3/1/2012
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Taylor Park is an interesting little course. It is very new so all equipment is in good condition. Navigation is pretty straightforward as most of the course is situated alongside a small lake. The lake is present but rarely comes into play, and when it does, it was not overbearing. There are no "forced-carries" over water here. The location of the course is very tranquil.

Taylor Park had some of the coolest signs I have ever seen. Distances seemed to be pretty accurate. The pictures are obviously not to scale, but I thought they accurately depicted each hole. Benches and bag hangers are available throughout. Whoever installed this course and those who funded it did not skimp on the amenities.
Cons: The hole distance was a little redundant. While there are a couple of longer holes, most of the holes are in the upper 200s - lower 300s. Additionally, the course is fairly open, so if you prefer to throw a gentle hyzer like me, you can do it over and over again. The course was not really challenging.

There are a number of other park users. First, there are a lot of walkers and families that utilize the trails of the park. Watch out for errant children. Secondly, there was a school cross-country team practicing in the park. I thought they might stick to the trails, but they simply all ran right through the course...and began stretching on the fairway of the hole closest to the main road from which you enter the park. I tried waiting, and most of them looked at me like I was strange. Sorry, but you are on a disc golf course. And Cross Country must be much bigger in Florida than in Tennessee because there were no less than 78 kids.

The water seemed to be used as an afterthought. The course did not incorporate it very well at all. If you had a terrible throw, then perhaps you could lose a disc. However, the fact that a lake is beside you does nothing to make you worry about your shot. I wish this attribute had been used better in the design.
Other Thoughts: I was definitely disappointed with Taylor Park. It had some pretty solid ratings, but simply didn't live up to its current rating. In my opinion, this is a typical course and nothing more. I am bumping up my rating slightly because of the bag holders, signage and benches, but I simply cannot go farther than a 3.0. When I was there the grass was getting high. All in all, it just wasn't a challenging or enjoyable round. I am definitely glad that I played it, since I was in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way to return.

This is a new course that is worth playing if you are in Tampa/St. Petersburg and have already played Cliff Stephens and Tocobaga. If you are fairly new to the game, then I would actually suggest you play this course instead of those 2, but for the seasoned disc golfer (which I consider myself "average") there is no real challenge at Taylor Park. It has the potential to become a really nice facility with ample amenities already in place, but the course is just average.

Very nice course

5+    1/15/2012   1/15/2012
Review By: scottys33
Pros: Very well maintained park along with great signs. There's a variety of shots so its not dominantly a righty or lefty course.
Cons: Occasionally foot traffic along the path slows down the game.
Other Thoughts: If you're in the Tampa/St. Pete/ Clearwater area you should definitely go play Taylor.

taylor park

5+    12/15/2011   1/8/2012
Review By: tedy4444
Pros: this course is amazing for intermediate and up players. the club at this park is so involved and puts so much money into trying to make this the best park around. great signage. no way to get lost or confused. always well groomed.
Cons: the water holes are fairly challenging especially since the water is on your left and im a right handed backhander. can get the better of any righty that cant consistently get some turn. when it rains, this park is underwater.
Other Thoughts: i recommend any avid d-golfer to hit this course when in the area. i drive like a half hour to get there roughly once a month. it is worth a trip.

1    11/8/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: captainobvious
Pros: Solid 4
- Technical course
- Water hazards
- Beautiful park
- Alternate tees
- You name it they got it
Cons: - Be careful of walkers walking through the course
Other Thoughts: Really only 1 or 2 holes with a good chance at landing in water, but bringing a floater always a good idea.

Nice Course

2-4    8/16/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: Alan Hause
Pros: The folks that run the local doubles are the ones to thank for making the course nice.They used their own funds for tee signs and other improvements.
Cons: One hole crosses walk path for park patrons...sometimes have to wait on the traffic.
Other Thoughts: Great flow well layed out and the signage is pretty friggn nice!The local doubles action is very friendly,if you are in town on tuesdays or sundays get out there and join them.Great people.

Taylor's Tip-Top

1    8/2/2011   8/9/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Taylor Park DGC is in a beautiful, grassy park with many mature trees surrounding a small lake. The quality of the course is very good, as is the equipment on the course. The tee boxes are concrete, all with nice benches and bag holders. The tee signs are unbelievable! Highly detailed and with cool graphics, they have hole maps with moveable pins to show which position the basket is currently in. Also, there are signs between holes to guide you through the course. The baskets are all in good shape, too.

As for the disc golfing, this is an outstanding course. Laid out very nicely, the fairways give a good variety of lines to the basket. The fairways have few sharp turns, but the trees seldom allow a straight line to the pin. There are very slight changes of elevation on some holes, and water comes into play on a few of them. Challenging, and fun to play.
Cons: Really there is not a lot of room for improvement here. Utilizes the space very well, but there was a very similar feel to many of the holes despite slight differences. I was rushing to finish 18 holes before the sun set, so maybe I missed some of the finer points on the course. There are signs posted warning about the presence of gators, but I didn't see any (which suits me fine).
Other Thoughts: Taylor Park offers a terrific disc golf experience. This is a fun and challenging course that is very nicely furnished. No doubt about it, you need to play this course if you get a chance. One of the best courses I have played in Florida. The local league was in session while I was on premises, and they were all helpful and friendly.

My favorite Tampa area course

2-4    11/16/2010   8/3/2011
Review By: kfellmy
Pros: The most beautiful course I've ever played. Playing right against the lake is awesome. Played there with a local and was very helpful with my horrid play. I also met him at Coachman. All the courses I played coming from Mississippi back to Fort Myers, this was the best looking course.
Cons: The walking trail, this park is popular and you have to throw across the walking trail. Never had to wait for someone to get by, since I played on a weekday. I could see the walkers being a problem during season.

Palmettos on the course, I didn't lose any discs but I could see where it would happen.
Other Thoughts: Most beautiful course in the surrounding 5 states. I had a good time.

oh...my...god

2-4    3/18/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: elpool009
Pros: perfect signage. easily the best ive ever seen.
the pin placements are incredible, three possibilities for basket locations. the perfect amount of shade and sun for those blistering FL days. did i mention the signs??? the huge effing alligator. the cleanliness of the park. the variety in shots. the varying degree of difficulty in each hole. each one is independent of the last. almost like being at an amusement park with each hole being a different ride. the lack of silk worms. the trash cans. the digital sounding blackbird on 13.
Cons: proximity to a well worn path.
Other Thoughts: this spot forces you into a different shot on each throw. super cool layout with the trees and bushes beg you to enjoy a super ambidextrous afternoon. really loved it here both times i played there. if you only have time to play one course in the area, then play here. if you have time to play a few times in the area, then play here at least twice.

second favorite course ive ever played.
devens ma being #1

All I can say is wow

5+    2/19/2011   2/23/2011
Review By: IGotDisc
Pros: I wasn't going to review this course since so many have but!!! If you haven't been to Taylor lately and you have in the past, you should see it now! The club there has had this course shaped up even better. There were a lot of shrubs and stuff removed to open up the park even more. The even included another practice basket because so many players show up. Great job guys!
Cons: Agreed with everyone else. Pedestrians! I had a guy randomly pick up my disc and called my number from my disc in my face. Really? Your walking around here and you can't tell what whole bunch of golfers are doing?...
Other Thoughts: This place has always been my favorite to play and probably always will. Too bad I have to drive so far to get to it.

Good course made great

5+    1/21/2011   1/21/2011
Review By: JimW
This review was updated on 1/31/2011
Pros: Every hole has two or three pin positions for a total of 42 overall and they're moved around frequently.

Tee pads are reasonably long and wide

Beautiful tee signs provide a visual of the hole as well as laser-measured distances for every pin position and a marker to show which position the basket is currently in.

Every hole has a whisk broom, bag hanger, and bench on it.

Hole design is generally very strong forcing players to use a wide variety of shots to put up a good score. Nearly all the new pin positions add to the course's quality instead of just being different for difference's sake.

Difficulty is moderate but fair. The trees will get you if you throw off target or too high but good throws will almost always be rewarded.

The baskets are quality ones and in good condition.

The course overall is kept in very good condition by the local club which runs weekly doubles and a handicap there.

Cons: The frequently mentioned walking path.

There are only amateur pads on six of the holes.

Hole 1's long position has virtually no fairway any longer due to tree growth since its creation and would be greatly improved by being moved. The new short positions on 7 and 16 lack imagination, being simple straight ahead shots when the terrain would have allowed for more interesting placements.
Other Thoughts: Taylor Park is my home course but when I first started playing disc golf two years ago it was merely a good course. The changes the local club (which didn't even exist at the beginning of my playing days) over that time period are phenomenal and have made this into what I consider to be the best course in the area now.