Largo, FL
Taylor Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #7 (Taken 9/2009)

Maybe the best course I have played in some time

1    3/26/2012   3/30/2012
Review By: numbernine
Pros: I hate to be that guy, but I am struggling to find ANYTHING wrong with this course. So, here I go.

First, let's talk about the signs on this course. Seriously, the single best signs that I have ever seen on a course. Period. They are essentially overhead, digital images of the course itself, and the THREE pin positions of each hole. There are also little images of the club members throwing their discs and walking and other things. With these signs, you can stand on the tee pad, look at the sign and never have to find the basket in front of you. These things are the best! And on these signs, there is a little marker that indicates which pin position the basket is in. Literally, every course should have these signs.

Navigation is EASY on this course. If you get lost, you are trying. After each basket, there is a nice, bright sign that says "THIS WAY" to the next pad. Also, the course has a PERFECT natural flow. Great course design. This is often overlooked when playing a course, but it is indeed the little things that matter!

There are multiple pads on most holes. The pads are all long, nice, concrete pads that grip well and are cleaned off. And if they aren't clean? THERE IS A SMALL BROOM ON EACH HOLE TO CLEAN THEM OFF! They literally thought of everything on this course.

The baskets catch perfectly. They have to be new.

Bag racks are on almost every hole and benches are on every hole. This is great! I love being able to sit if I have to wait on the group in front of me, or not have to put my bag on the ground. While I generally carry a stool, this is still a great add on!

The park is beautiful. Lots of mature trees, palmettos and other natural obstacles to get in your way. There is also a large body of water towards the center of the park that comes in to play on several of the holes.

Lots of different shot types to be had on this course. It's mostly a mid range, control type course, but there are different throw types required.
Cons: if I had to come up with something to gripe about, it would be the number of non disc golfers on the course. There were SEVERAL times (I think on the back) where I had to wait on people to get down the walking path, or for them to get their dog out from in front of the basket I was shooting at it. It's something that can't be changed, but it is something that brings down the rating by .5
Other Thoughts: Honestly, I love this course. It has everything that everyone loves about disc golf. It is obviously deeply cared for by it's club. The attention to detail is stunning! go out of your way to play this one!

Great course!

1    3/26/2012   3/29/2012
Review By: scootertrash
Pros: Very well kept course.
No map is available but is very easy to navigate.
Good course to bring someone not that experienced.
Tee signs are top notch! Easy to see where the basket was.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: My wife and I were in town and wanted to play (been 6 months) and Taylor Park was perfect for both of us to get back into the groove of things. Good length and just the right amount of trees to not get too frustrated with and a very low bug count!

If you are in Clearwater you have to check this course out along with Clearwater Disc Golf store!

Florida's finest

1    3/12/2012   3/12/2012
Review By: w8nforhim
Pros: You must play this course! This course is one of the best-kept, maintained courses I have ever played. The course is located at a beautiful park that is situated around a small lake. The course is on the opposite side of the lake from the entrance of the park. Each hole is between 200-300 feet for the most part and has scattered trees, but no thick woods. The start of the course has a bulletin board with announcements and a course map. Each hole has concrete tee pads. Each hole also has a sign that shows the hole layout, including the different pin locations. Then, there is a marker showing which pin location is in use...this is a great idea that many courses fail to include. Then, there are signs that point you in the direction of the next tee pad, differentiating where applicable between pro and am. Also at each hole, there are bag holders and benches. Several holes also offer shoe brushes and brushes to sweep off the tee pad.
Cons: There are really no cons. If you want to get technical, most of the shots are similar...between 200-300 feet and usually straight in front of the tee or slightly to the left or right. But this isn't really bad. Just FYI.
Other Thoughts: Again, you must play this course. It is absolutely beautiful and makes for a very enjoyable round. The course has scattered trees and shrubs throughout the holes, but the fairways are pretty wide and reward technical shots, but don't make it impossible if you hit a tree. All-in-all, my favorite course in Florida!

Meh...

1    10/11/2011   3/1/2012
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Taylor Park is an interesting little course. It is very new so all equipment is in good condition. Navigation is pretty straightforward as most of the course is situated alongside a small lake. The lake is present but rarely comes into play, and when it does, it was not overbearing. There are no "forced-carries" over water here. The location of the course is very tranquil.

Taylor Park had some of the coolest signs I have ever seen. Distances seemed to be pretty accurate. The pictures are obviously not to scale, but I thought they accurately depicted each hole. Benches and bag hangers are available throughout. Whoever installed this course and those who funded it did not skimp on the amenities.
Cons: The hole distance was a little redundant. While there are a couple of longer holes, most of the holes are in the upper 200s - lower 300s. Additionally, the course is fairly open, so if you prefer to throw a gentle hyzer like me, you can do it over and over again. The course was not really challenging.

There are a number of other park users. First, there are a lot of walkers and families that utilize the trails of the park. Watch out for errant children. Secondly, there was a school cross-country team practicing in the park. I thought they might stick to the trails, but they simply all ran right through the course…and began stretching on the fairway of the hole closest to the main road from which you enter the park. I tried waiting, and most of them looked at me like I was strange. Sorry, but you are on a disc golf course. And Cross Country must be much bigger in Florida than in Tennessee because there were no less than 78 kids.

The water seemed to be used as an afterthought. The course did not incorporate it very well at all. If you had a terrible throw, then perhaps you could lose a disc. However, the fact that a lake is beside you does nothing to make you worry about your shot. I wish this attribute had been used better in the design.
Other Thoughts: I was definitely disappointed with Taylor Park. It had some pretty solid ratings, but simply didn't live up to its current rating. In my opinion, this is a typical course and nothing more. I am bumping up my rating slightly because of the bag holders, signage and benches, but I simply cannot go farther than a 3.0. When I was there the grass was getting high. All in all, it just wasn't a challenging or enjoyable round. I am definitely glad that I played it, since I was in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way to return.

This is a new course that is worth playing if you are in Tampa/St. Petersburg and have already played Cliff Stephens and Tocobaga. If you are fairly new to the game, then I would actually suggest you play this course instead of those 2, but for the seasoned disc golfer (which I consider myself "average") there is no real challenge at Taylor Park. It has the potential to become a really nice facility with ample amenities already in place, but the course is just average.

Very nice course

5+    1/15/2012   1/15/2012
Review By: scottys33
Pros: Very well maintained park along with great signs. There's a variety of shots so its not dominantly a righty or lefty course.
Cons: Occasionally foot traffic along the path slows down the game.
Other Thoughts: If you're in the Tampa/St. Pete/ Clearwater area you should definitely go play Taylor.

taylor park

5+    12/15/2011   1/8/2012
Review By: tedy4444
Pros: this course is amazing for intermediate and up players. the club at this park is so involved and puts so much money into trying to make this the best park around. great signage. no way to get lost or confused. always well groomed.
Cons: the water holes are fairly challenging especially since the water is on your left and im a right handed backhander. can get the better of any righty that cant consistently get some turn. when it rains, this park is underwater.
Other Thoughts: i recommend any avid d-golfer to hit this course when in the area. i drive like a half hour to get there roughly once a month. it is worth a trip.

1    11/8/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: captainobvious
Pros: Solid 4
- Technical course
- Water hazards
- Beautiful park
- Alternate tees
- You name it they got it
Cons: - Be careful of walkers walking through the course
Other Thoughts: Really only 1 or 2 holes with a good chance at landing in water, but bringing a floater always a good idea.

Nice Course

2-4    8/16/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: Alan Hause
Pros: The folks that run the local doubles are the ones to thank for making the course nice.They used their own funds for tee signs and other improvements.
Cons: One hole crosses walk path for park patrons...sometimes have to wait on the traffic.
Other Thoughts: Great flow well layed out and the signage is pretty friggn nice!The local doubles action is very friendly,if you are in town on tuesdays or sundays get out there and join them.Great people.

Taylor's Tip-Top

1    8/2/2011   8/9/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Taylor Park DGC is in a beautiful, grassy park with many mature trees surrounding a small lake. The quality of the course is very good, as is the equipment on the course. The tee boxes are concrete, all with nice benches and bag holders. The tee signs are unbelievable! Highly detailed and with cool graphics, they have hole maps with moveable pins to show which position the basket is currently in. Also, there are signs between holes to guide you through the course. The baskets are all in good shape, too.

As for the disc golfing, this is an outstanding course. Laid out very nicely, the fairways give a good variety of lines to the basket. The fairways have few sharp turns, but the trees seldom allow a straight line to the pin. There are very slight changes of elevation on some holes, and water comes into play on a few of them. Challenging, and fun to play.
Cons: Really there is not a lot of room for improvement here. Utilizes the space very well, but there was a very similar feel to many of the holes despite slight differences. I was rushing to finish 18 holes before the sun set, so maybe I missed some of the finer points on the course. There are signs posted warning about the presence of gators, but I didn't see any (which suits me fine).
Other Thoughts: Taylor Park offers a terrific disc golf experience. This is a fun and challenging course that is very nicely furnished. No doubt about it, you need to play this course if you get a chance. One of the best courses I have played in Florida. The local league was in session while I was on premises, and they were all helpful and friendly.

My favorite Tampa area course

2-4    11/16/2010   8/3/2011
Review By: kfellmy
Pros: The most beautiful course I've ever played. Playing right against the lake is awesome. Played there with a local and was very helpful with my horrid play. I also met him at Coachman. All the courses I played coming from Mississippi back to Fort Myers, this was the best looking course.
Cons: The walking trail, this park is popular and you have to throw across the walking trail. Never had to wait for someone to get by, since I played on a weekday. I could see the walkers being a problem during season.

Palmettos on the course, I didn't lose any discs but I could see where it would happen.
Other Thoughts: Most beautiful course in the surrounding 5 states. I had a good time.