Layout Extinct

1 2 3 Next >
 Fun course

1    11/16/2008   11/17/2008
Review By: mreed12
Pros: Open course, good for learning the basics. Challenge comes in the distance and the hazards.

Cons: Random people everywhere. I do not know what I was thinking it is a county park, but seriously though the park gets a lot of use so be mindful of kids and adults running around randomly.
Other Thoughts: Overall good course, but that is b/c I feel it plays into my strong points.

Great Course

1    10/18/2008   10/18/2008
Review By: Chef
Pros: This is a great course. Make holes have alternative baskets to them. The course is pretty well mapped out on each tee. Good short, medium, and long shots. Course is on a pretty public park.
Cons: Public park so be careful with people are are just screwing around and throwing things before you leave the hole. Also, be aware of unleashed dogs that can and will take your dics.
Other Thoughts: My wife and I really enjoyed this course.

Best Seattle-area Course

5+    9/4/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: lari
Pros: - Great Variety: of lengths, defenses, elevation, etc
- Perfect length: not grueling, but plenty of long holes
- Good community of disc golfers, but never so crowded that I get slowed down
- Not super overgrown and wooded, like a lot of NW disc golf courses can be
- Concrete Tee Pads in good shape, as are the baskets
Cons: - It's kind of in the Barrio (for Seattle), and a bunch of hole markers and benches are vandalized.
- A couple of holes might be confusing if you don't have a map (7/7a in particular)
- The water fountains are a lie! (Until you get to newer playground area)
Other Thoughts: Easily my favorite course in the Seattle area. A great test of general disc golf skills with a great variety of everything. Also, they move the pins around on a couple of the holes, so things stay fresh. Highly recommended if you are in the area.

My Home Course

7/27/2008   7/27/2008
Review By: Barbikes
Pros: This is my home course. I've played it hundreds of times and like The Valkyrie Kid said in his review it is also my favorite course in the state!
I like that they move the baskets around fairly frequently (multiple pin positions). I also think the amount of elevation change this course has is about perfect. It has a good mix of uphill and downhill throws. In the afternoon you will usually find someone selling discs in the parking lot.
Cons: It's a busy place! If you want solitude get there at sunrise. (But hit the chains softly as the neighbors are sleeping!)
Other Thoughts: Read the other reviews. I agree with them. It's a great course. Play it while you can because changes are coming. In 2009 a community computer center is going in just south of the upper parking lot. This will wipe out holes 4, 5, and 18. 6 and 17 may also be effected. The club is going to find new locations for all those. After that the course may be better or it may be worse but it won't be the same!

Big neighborhood park

2-4    6/29/2008   7/2/2008
Review By: Aragorn
This review was updated on 8/12/2008
Pros: This large neighborhood park has room for 18 holes with space to spare. The course is mainly grass meadows and lawns which is a refreshing alternative to many of the tree heavy courses in the pacific NW. A pretty hole throws over a creek and another next to a pond.
Cons: Much of the signage is vandalized or missing. A tee next to a residential area was covered in broken glass and there were beer bottles everywhere. This could be a park that gets some vandals and partiers coming in from the neighborhood. That being said, I haven't really seen anyone causing problems myself.

The basket placement on 18 just seems goofy. It is right in the middle of a parking island. I wonder how many cars have been dinged by errant throws.
Other Thoughts: I would rate holes 12-16 4 stars and the rest of the course 3 so I gave it 3 . Some of the course seems a little beat and ragged and the rest is really nice. There are several holes I like. Some good elevation change and some nice long throws. Although the course is pretty open there are definitely trees that come into play.

When I play the course I am certain that a few of the holes seem like they play right into each other. I have asked some regulars about that and they say they have never seen any problems with it. That and the few holes that throw across a road or parking lot probably look worse than they really are. I think it would have to be pretty crowded before it becomes a problem.

The course layout changed recently around holes 7-11. If you are going off an old map you might get confused.

Great Course on a Beautiful Day

5/18/2008   5/18/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: I would tend to agree with most of the earlier reviewer's comments. The course has a wide variety of holes, just about everything except for a classic Washington "throw it through a forest and hope you don't hit any of the dozens of tree trunks" shot, which is fine with me. I don't mind having to be accurate, but a lot of those types of shots are more about luck than accuracy. The course was in great condition, almost no garbage anywhere to be found, green grass, nice tee pads, and a generally nice feel to the course.
Cons: At a couple of points I was a little confused about course layout, and I think a few more signs scattered about would be helpful, or some course maps at the bulletin board place at the start (looked like there was a place for some, but it was empty). Also, I don't know if this is a frequent occurence or not, but there were three guys playing paintball down around holes 12-16, though I must admit they seemed to be pretty considerate about us "civilians"
Other Thoughts: All in all, I thought this was a very good course. One of the things I liked about it was this: I consider myself to be a fairly serious player (I shot 58 today and felt like it should have been a 54 or 55) and I played with my wife (who enjoys the game but is nowhere near as serious) and two of my younger nephews (11 and 15, and neither of them take the sport too seriously, either) and all four of us enjoyed playing here. It was tough enough to challenge me, but not so brutal as to be not fun for them, which can be a difficult balance to achieve.

South Seattle

5+    1/6/2007   4/2/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 2/1/2010
Pros: Lakewood DGC is truely a complete and wonderful experience. This course provides all the elements including several elevation changes, rolling hills, man-made ponds, and a running stream. This course is a mix of open and densely populated forested holes. In turn this allows you to work on big powerful drives, accurate fairway upshots, and big long putts. Holes 4 and 12 stand out the most to me because they combine a lot of the elements and truely represent what discgolf is all about.
Cons: The only cons are one, at times the course can be really congested (especially around the ball field and basketball courts). And two, the course tends to get a lot of vandalism and trash. However, it is apparent that the locals work really hard to keep this little paradise clean but the amount of foot traffic seems to out-weigh their efforts.
Other Thoughts: I have always felt that this was south seattle's best course. Even though I really like SeaTac, I feel that this course caters more to the advanced player. SeaTac, although amazing, to me still seems built for the pro's. However, both are unique unto themselves and are both worth the trip. The good news is that they are right down the road from each other. Lakewood DGC is just less frustrating.

Our big back yard.

4/2/2008   4/2/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: It's a complete park course. Water, distance, elevation changes, good tee boxes, and multiple pin locations, some short, some long, some open, some tight, what's not to love? Of the courses I played in Washington this one so far, is the most complete course. It has all sorts of different shots and even has more than a couple holes that are open, which is rare for Washington. Sixteen is unique with the basket in a "tree hole" and then there is a mildly confusing walk to seventeen. The first five holes are pretty tame and treeless. Seven-B plays through some interesting trees on the side of a hill. A pond comes in play on the back nine. My favorite hole on Lakewood was twelve, it was playing 650. I like the way the disc golf course uses space that would otherwise seem wasted like hole 10 behind baseball fields and the nearby neighborhood.
Cons: I played just as a nearby Jr. high or high school got out and I was invaded by about 100 kids for about ten minutes, it was strange. Because its in a big park it loses Washington's woodsy rain forest setting that Washington is know for. I rate this course just behind NAD Bremerton, but it has more variety than anything I have seen in Washington.
Other Thoughts: It was at Lakewood that I learned a hot tip. Play new courses the day AFTER a tournament. The course is in tournament shape, the signs are all out, unvandalized and there are still maps in the kiosk. I know the local "guy" who takes care of the course would front but I'm willing to bet that two weeks before the tournament there wouldn't any maps in the kiosk, just random notes from people slandering the good "guys" name. A note from some dude wanting his Wraith back if found, but not a map, I'd put 20 bucks on it. (That's a big reason why sites like this are so helpful).

Lovely Course In South Seattle!

5+    2/21/2001   2/21/2008
This review was updated on 11/14/2008
Pros: I think Lakewood King County Park is a lovely place for a course. There are some nice elevation changes including a couple of holes where you can really "air it out". The course plays around a lake in the park bringing the water into play. You're in and out of the trees, up and down the hills, playing mostly on mowed green grass. There are a few holes in the more remote, uncared section of the park.
Cons: I once read a reviewer from the east coast who was quite upset that a couple of holes on this course played across the parking lot and incoming street into the park. He thought this was some kind of a major safety concern. I don't find that to be a big problem at all. The lots and street are visible before you throw, if there's traffic and there seldom is, just wait a second or two.
Other Thoughts: This is my personal # 1 course in Washington state. I believe it combines most of what most of us seem to want in our courses; A naturally, scenic location with elevation, some water hazards and a course layout which is challenging to everyone from the pro to the novice player.

1 2 3 Next >