Orlando, FL
Bill Frederick Park - Turkey Lake Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #9 (Taken 10/2010)
3 / 288ft.   -- / --   3 / 288ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #9 Red Tee

Clean course

1    5/15/2012   5/15/2012
Review By: tfrank
This review was updated on 5/17/2012
Pros: This course is very clean and friendly. It is in FL so there are tons of little lizards and big birds and sand and swamp things. There isn't a ton of elevation, but the water and trees make up for it. The course map looks easy, but the tree and basket placement is difficult. Bring a variety of discs and arms because the course doesn't favor a right or left fade.
Cons: I can't think of any. FL is hot and humid in the summer. Duh. Bring water.
Other Thoughts: The $2 fee isn't really a con, because I have never seen a course with so little trash. I would pay a couple bucks to not have to play around tons of butts and bottles. This is a very well maintained course.
Also not a con, but when it is 90 and 90% humidity at sea level, your drivers fly differently. I didn't, but I would recommend playing the first few holes for practice to see how things fly. The trees actually saved me from being alligator bait twice when my drives wouldn't stop turning. I would add a number to the turn and subtract a number from the fade on your discs.
I played conservatively around the water because I took the warning signs seriously, but there are plenty of birdie opportunities for the confident player.
Update: I played again. 18 can be birdied. Instead of trying to follow the narrow tunnel to the basket, throw far right and really high and go around all of the trees. I was able to land two drives within 30'. Scout it out first though, it is tight.

5+    11/8/2011   4/14/2012
Review By: CDashMAN
Pros: great variety of shots and distances
complex has 2 18 hole courses that all start in the same general area
well marked holes and nice wide tees
Cons: not very beginner friendly
flow can be confusing in a few spots and there are some walks
Other Thoughts: The more challenging of the two courses here. The distance and trek make for a longer round.

Best in Orlando

1    1/12/2012   1/14/2012
Review By: sdervan
Pros: This course is beautiful! It's super clean and scenic. Everyone has mentioned all the great thing that this course has to offer. Multiple tees. Holes that require the thrower to make many different shots. Some high risk-high reward. Overall, its just beautiful and anyone who throws it will see why. Not to mention it has another 18 holes.
Cons: Not even sure if it's a true con but the only thing I could see as some would squawk about would be that it cost $4 to get into the park. I never mind. Free golf is everywhere and they take incredible care of this course.

Good Course in a Great Park

1    6/29/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Bill Frederick Park @ Turkey Lake isn't hard to find. There are signs on the interstate and all over the area pointing you to its location. Once in the park, there is plenty of signage to direct you to the disc golf courses. The park and lake serve as a beautiful setting for disc golf.

The course features a good mix of open areas and wooded holes. While there isn't much elevation, the designers did the best with what they had and it works well. Hole #10 is a great example of the elevation and hardscaping with terraced steps down from the tee into a gulley and then terraced steps up to the basket and sand green. Additonal variety comes into play (and may factor into shot/disc selection) with the different playing surfaces, which included grass, leaves, dirt, wood chips, and sand. Risk and reward shows up on several holes with water coming into play, especially near the basket greens.

The multiple tees at this course are clutch. They allow a different playing experience for all skill levels and offer the opportunity to play this course several different ways.

The hand painted tee signs at Bill Frederick Park are a nice touch. Additionally directional arrows, signs, and other navigational aids are very helpful. The garbage cans positioned throughout the course help to minimize litter. Most of the baskets and tees are in great shape. Another conveinence at this park is the restroom, located next to the parking area near holes #1 and #10.
Cons: In a few cases, the baskets for one tee played a bit too close for comfort to other tees.

Specific to the course design and layout, several blind holes required some inspection before teeing off. There seem to be an excess of "point & shoot" straight fairways without much in the way of doglegs. The lengths of many of the fairways were on the shorter end of the spectrum.

There were a couple of instances where the navigation getting to the next tee is a little dicey. In additon, a few of the tee signs were misleading or confusing. This is especially the case for the hole that is missing its tee sign.
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't classify this as a diffuclt course, but it is certainly enjoyable and presents players with serveral birdie opportunities and ace runs. It is probably a great primer for T2-The Turkeynator.

The limited hours of operation make it a bit less convenient than other courses, but the 9-11 hour window should give plenty of time to play more than a round or two.

I was really impressed with the socially/DG responsible signage throughout the course that promotoed responsile golfing (such as safety, garbage disposal, not urinating in the park, etc.) and demonstrated a "help us help you" type of message. If more courses had signs like this (and if more DGers followed this mantra), our sport might have a better reputation.

All things considered, this course sits between a 3.25 and a 3.5. But considering the dynamic nature of the multiple tees, the beautiful park, and how friendly the staff is, I have no problem rounding this up to a 3.5. I would recommend this course to anyone in the Orlando area and it's well worth the miniscule amount of money to play.

Par 3 Fun in a Lakeside Park

1    5/23/2011   6/22/2011
Review By: vslaugh
Pros: Turkey Lake is a course with fun disc golf shots in a mostly open lakeside setting. It's good for a round at a leisurely pace but is still very engaging with interesting and challenging tee shots. You want to keep playing it again and again as it's tough but possible to birdie each hole. Often it wasn't obvious what to throw off the tee, leading to a disc selection process that makes disc golf more fun. I played it while on vacation with a partial bag, but the diversity of shots made me wish I had my full bag.

I really enjoyed the holes by the lake and the challenge added by the wind. Disc golf courses where just about every tee shot is an opportunity to launch a disc and attack the pin can be a lot of fun, and that applies to Turkey Lake where any birdie feels rewarding. A couple of the holes are memorable, particularly the stretch from 4-7.

This Pennsylvania native was amused and pleased by the Florida trees and wildlife that populated the course and how they affected course design.
Cons: It's basically just a Par 3 course, so it misses out on the fun of Par 4s and Par 5s. While the holes near the lake are very beautiful, a stretch of a couple holes on the Back 9 has a feel that is diminished by the adjacent highway.

Tees and baskets and signs are showing their age, although it definitely doesn't look like it's 25 years old...maybe 10-15 years old.

While it didn't matter to me for my one round, having multiple pin positions per hole that regularly rotate is a relatively easy improvement that could make Turkey Lake much more addicting...at least that's been my experience on other similar courses.
Other Thoughts: I played by myself without having seen the course before, and navigation was easy. Coupled with T2, the park is definitely worth visiting if you're in Orlando.

1    3/21/2011   3/24/2011
Review By: Oldcoot
Pros: Beautiful park with 2 courses, excellent waling area, great for us old folks who don't throw as far as the youngsters. Lots of fun, good challenge, could be a course for Maine!
Cons: Only course I have played in Florida that cost, but is inexpensive for wife & I, and well kept. WIll have to stay in campground next time.
Other Thoughts: Thanks to the folks keeping the course up

1    3/10/2011   3/16/2011
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This is a beautiful park with 2 courses, tons of other amenities, and camping on site! This course was mostly open but still challenging.

Other Pros:
- 2 tee positions
- easy to navigate with "next T" signs in confusing spots
- risk/ reward including a few water hazards (water is clean and clear but there was a sign warning of gators!)
- two 9 hole loops bring you past the restrooms
- variety of turns
- decent tee pads
- mixed terrain and some elevation
Cons: I think the tee signs must have been moved from the front of the tee to the back, ewhich of course is better but the map gets confusing for 1st timers because it looks like you're supposed to throw the opposite way.

Pay to play is a con but, 2$ a person or 4$ a car is worth the fee, especially for 2 courses!

Other Cons:
- rough areas can rip your skin, retrieve slow and easy.
- a rowing team was setting up and interrupted our play on 3 holes
- very windy from the lake
- highway noise for a few holes
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole was 18, a shot over a small cliff into an area with many wild palms.
I had a great time and really enjoyed the scenery. If you have a family with you then they will have tons to do while you have your fun. Here's the phone number from the park map I received in case you have any questions: 407-246-4486

2-4    1/19/2011   1/30/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: The Bill Frederick course is a very solid design set in a park which is very well cared for. Parts of this course almost look like a ball golf course with nice elevation changes, rolling grass, and some effective water hazards. Because of its relatively open nature and absence of punishing factors such as dense rough and trees, the course is very well suited for beginners through highly skilled players. The very top notch level of player will likely not be too challenged except for a few holes here and there and managing the frequent wind off the lake. The wind and the pin placement, many of which are on sideslopes really add to the course which otherwise might be a bit too straightforward.

The locals out here when we visited were all extremely friendly, several times helping us find the next tee and just chatting about disc golf and the course in general.
Cons: Like several other Orlando courses, I think the distances on the tee signs are overblown a bit. Throwing 400+ hyzers really isn't my strong suit, yet I seemed to be able to manage it at will judging by the tee signs - so watch out, they are likely overestimating hole distances!

This is a great option to bring even beginners or a family out to play, lots of natural beauty and a nice course BUT I think after playing here more than a few times, the holes are going to become a bit mechanical and boring.
Other Thoughts: This course serves as a nice compliment to the more technical and demanding T2 course right next door. Here you'll be exposed to wind, a bit more in terms of elevation, and flexibility in terms of options off the tee.

1    10/16/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: The park is very well maintained. Lots of work has been done here and it shows, keeping the grass mowed, the landscaping mess minimum, and plenty of trash cans.
Bag hangers - a nice touch on the few holes that had them, to keep your gear from getting sandy.
Tee signage -- not always up to date, but they are great little metal signs, and lots of sponsors prove that Florida is working to support the sport.
Flow - The course was easy to navigate once you got through the first four holes. We followed some locals to make it even easier, and they give you a map at the front kiosk if you say you're disc golfing.
I loved the change of pace from the typical woody/hilly/ hiking courses I play in the Carolinas. While the course is very flat, they did try to use what elevation there is, and did well to make some tunnel shots and tree pin placements.
Wind -- while a nuisance to some, it's usually easy to gauge coming off the lake, and a great way to practice your wind shots.
Not many places to lose a disc. If you fail into the water at 5, it's no one's fault but yours(and maybe the lake wind :-) ).
Next tee signs here are very helpful!
Loops back to the parking lot after the first nine(always a plus in my book).
Very close to the main Orlando attractions(Disney, Universal, I-Drive), easy to find. If you're here with your kids, bring 'em to the park for a change of pace from Mickey and friends!
Cons: Signage a little outdated on some holes, but no biggie.
Could use a few more "next tee" arrow signs to aid navigation, but the one's that are there are great!
Most tee pads were ok, but some are breaking up, and some are still carpet.
Could've been more challenging, but hey, that's why there's TWO courses here!
The $4/ car isn't bad to me to play a great course, and if you're in Orlando, you're used to getting charged for everything after about a day, as there's no tax to help with things like toll roads, public parks, etc
Other Thoughts: The local club was gearing up for their PDGA tourney, so the course was in very good shape. The guys seemed really cool as we talked to some on the way out.
Such a PERFECT break from all the touristy Orlando attractions! After being surrounded by people/ kids all day at the theme parks, GET OUT TO A GREAT PARK AND THROW SOME PLASTIC!

Tough to Evaluate

1    10/4/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: The first thing you will notice at the Turkey Lake course is the groundskeeping. This park is very clean. The grass is groomed. The lake is a beautiful backdrop and comes into play on a few holes.

The flow of the course was very logical. I only got lost once, and I didn't have a map. Signage was very good except for hole #6 (I think, but it could be #7) did not have a tee sign.

The design was pretty strong as far as shot shapes goes. This course will test your ability to throw anhyzers, lazers, and spike hyzers. All are needed to score well.

The baskets were in solid condition.

The course was really fun. I can't exactly put my finger on why that was. I love park-style courses and this course suits my style well. The park was relatively quiet the day that I played. There are other park users but I really had no issue with any of them throughout the round.
Cons: While the design was creative as far as shot-shapes are required, it lacked variation in distance. Most of the holes seemed to be around the same length. I may be totally wrong, but I remember thinking about that at the end of the round.

The section of the course with the missing tee sign (again, I think it was #6) had a few unmarked tees scattered around. This made it impossible to decide which tee I was supposed to use. I just took the one that was the closest to me on my path. It may have been right; it may not have been.

I hate to list this as a con, but I think I have to do so. The terrain gave me a lot of problems. I understand that this is not the fault of the designers, but it bears mentioning. The ground goes from dirt to sand to dirt to sand...etc. I know it is is Florida and that's just the way it is. However, if you have knee problems or ankle problems, I advise you to wear your braces as you rarely know what your next step holds on certain areas of this course. I took one tumble and barely avoided a couple of others on the 2 courses at Bill Frederick Park. Those of you with healthy legs can disregard this paragraph.

Also, due to the terrain, there are some tee pads that are beginning to crack or already damaged. This is a consequence of the land itself.
Other Thoughts: This course was tough to evaluate for me. The reason is that the course was really fun to play and very pretty. However, it wasn't as challenging as I was hoping for. My family and I were visiting Universal Studios in Orlando and I managed to sneak out for an afternoon. I played both courses at Turkey Lake. I played this one first because I was slightly rusty; plus my knee still gives me some trouble. I wanted to make sure I started easy. Without having played in over a month, I shot a 55. For someone of my skill level that is a very low score. With another round or two at the course, I could defintely get close to 50. The reason I bring this up is because I am nothing more than your typical disc golfer who likes to have fun. I don't have a huge arm. Someone with more talent would be bored at this course. The other course on property serves as a nice complement as far as the challenge goes.

On a side note, I lost a disc at this course. Somebody found it and called me. Since I was already back in Tennessee, I told him to keep it. He sounded like a young kid, and he called it a "frisbee". It made me feel good that he called. They must do things right in Orlando for even the newbs to call. It actually really impressed me.