Orlando, FL
Bill Frederick Park - Turkey Lake Share
Uploaded By: BennettUA Hole #8 (Taken 10/2010)
Hole #8 Blue Tee

2-4    1/19/2011   1/30/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: The Bill Frederick course is a very solid design set in a park which is very well cared for. Parts of this course almost look like a ball golf course with nice elevation changes, rolling grass, and some effective water hazards. Because of its relatively open nature and absence of punishing factors such as dense rough and trees, the course is very well suited for beginners through highly skilled players. The very top notch level of player will likely not be too challenged except for a few holes here and there and managing the frequent wind off the lake. The wind and the pin placement, many of which are on sideslopes really add to the course which otherwise might be a bit too straightforward.

The locals out here when we visited were all extremely friendly, several times helping us find the next tee and just chatting about disc golf and the course in general.
Cons: Like several other Orlando courses, I think the distances on the tee signs are overblown a bit. Throwing 400+ hyzers really isn't my strong suit, yet I seemed to be able to manage it at will judging by the tee signs - so watch out, they are likely overestimating hole distances!

This is a great option to bring even beginners or a family out to play, lots of natural beauty and a nice course BUT I think after playing here more than a few times, the holes are going to become a bit mechanical and boring.
Other Thoughts: This course serves as a nice compliment to the more technical and demanding T2 course right next door. Here you'll be exposed to wind, a bit more in terms of elevation, and flexibility in terms of options off the tee.

1    10/16/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: The park is very well maintained. Lots of work has been done here and it shows, keeping the grass mowed, the landscaping mess minimum, and plenty of trash cans.
Bag hangers - a nice touch on the few holes that had them, to keep your gear from getting sandy.
Tee signage -- not always up to date, but they are great little metal signs, and lots of sponsors prove that Florida is working to support the sport.
Flow - The course was easy to navigate once you got through the first four holes. We followed some locals to make it even easier, and they give you a map at the front kiosk if you say you're disc golfing.
I loved the change of pace from the typical woody/hilly/ hiking courses I play in the Carolinas. While the course is very flat, they did try to use what elevation there is, and did well to make some tunnel shots and tree pin placements.
Wind -- while a nuisance to some, it's usually easy to gauge coming off the lake, and a great way to practice your wind shots.
Not many places to lose a disc. If you fail into the water at 5, it's no one's fault but yours(and maybe the lake wind :-) ).
Next tee signs here are very helpful!
Loops back to the parking lot after the first nine(always a plus in my book).
Very close to the main Orlando attractions(Disney, Universal, I-Drive), easy to find. If you're here with your kids, bring 'em to the park for a change of pace from Mickey and friends!
Cons: Signage a little outdated on some holes, but no biggie.
Could use a few more "next tee" arrow signs to aid navigation, but the one's that are there are great!
Most tee pads were ok, but some are breaking up, and some are still carpet.
Could've been more challenging, but hey, that's why there's TWO courses here!
The $4/ car isn't bad to me to play a great course, and if you're in Orlando, you're used to getting charged for everything after about a day, as there's no tax to help with things like toll roads, public parks, etc
Other Thoughts: The local club was gearing up for their PDGA tourney, so the course was in very good shape. The guys seemed really cool as we talked to some on the way out.
Such a PERFECT break from all the touristy Orlando attractions! After being surrounded by people/ kids all day at the theme parks, GET OUT TO A GREAT PARK AND THROW SOME PLASTIC!

Tough to Evaluate

1    10/4/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: The first thing you will notice at the Turkey Lake course is the groundskeeping. This park is very clean. The grass is groomed. The lake is a beautiful backdrop and comes into play on a few holes.

The flow of the course was very logical. I only got lost once, and I didn't have a map. Signage was very good except for hole #6 (I think, but it could be #7) did not have a tee sign.

The design was pretty strong as far as shot shapes goes. This course will test your ability to throw anhyzers, lazers, and spike hyzers. All are needed to score well.

The baskets were in solid condition.

The course was really fun. I can't exactly put my finger on why that was. I love park-style courses and this course suits my style well. The park was relatively quiet the day that I played. There are other park users but I really had no issue with any of them throughout the round.
Cons: While the design was creative as far as shot-shapes are required, it lacked variation in distance. Most of the holes seemed to be around the same length. I may be totally wrong, but I remember thinking about that at the end of the round.

The section of the course with the missing tee sign (again, I think it was #6) had a few unmarked tees scattered around. This made it impossible to decide which tee I was supposed to use. I just took the one that was the closest to me on my path. It may have been right; it may not have been.

I hate to list this as a con, but I think I have to do so. The terrain gave me a lot of problems. I understand that this is not the fault of the designers, but it bears mentioning. The ground goes from dirt to sand to dirt to sand...etc. I know it is is Florida and that's just the way it is. However, if you have knee problems or ankle problems, I advise you to wear your braces as you rarely know what your next step holds on certain areas of this course. I took one tumble and barely avoided a couple of others on the 2 courses at Bill Frederick Park. Those of you with healthy legs can disregard this paragraph.

Also, due to the terrain, there are some tee pads that are beginning to crack or already damaged. This is a consequence of the land itself.
Other Thoughts: This course was tough to evaluate for me. The reason is that the course was really fun to play and very pretty. However, it wasn't as challenging as I was hoping for. My family and I were visiting Universal Studios in Orlando and I managed to sneak out for an afternoon. I played both courses at Turkey Lake. I played this one first because I was slightly rusty; plus my knee still gives me some trouble. I wanted to make sure I started easy. Without having played in over a month, I shot a 55. For someone of my skill level that is a very low score. With another round or two at the course, I could defintely get close to 50. The reason I bring this up is because I am nothing more than your typical disc golfer who likes to have fun. I don't have a huge arm. Someone with more talent would be bored at this course. The other course on property serves as a nice complement as far as the challenge goes.

On a side note, I lost a disc at this course. Somebody found it and called me. Since I was already back in Tennessee, I told him to keep it. He sounded like a young kid, and he called it a "frisbee". It made me feel good that he called. They must do things right in Orlando for even the newbs to call. It actually really impressed me.

Nice open park course

2-4    9/25/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: dispatch1313
Pros: I played the 18 original holes. Fun open park course. The park is large enough where there is some distance on most of the holes. It's not a pitch & putt park course which is a huge pro for me. Water comes into play on a couple of the holes. I know because I had to go in the lake to get my prized Valkerie back.
Cons: I liked the front 9 the best. Better variety, more water hazards etc. The back 9 all seemed pretty much the same to me.

I wish there were more benches near the course. My very pregnant wife walked the course while I was playing and there weren't that many spots for her to sit.

Other Thoughts: Watch out for alligators. They will eat your discs.

Nice course

1    7/26/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: Hitman
Pros: Marked fairly well. Bathroom & trash cans well placed. Great basket placement. Fairways are moderately easy to stay on. Very nice park, makes for a good family outing.
Cons: Mixed use park, watch for bike & walk paths.
Other Thoughts: You have to pay to get in $2 person or $4 car load, but you go to the pool when you are done with your round. You can purchase discs on site at the front gate.

A Great family place.

2-4    4/4/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: It can be played by novices and pros.
The scenery changes ie. wooded, sandy, water, uphill, downhill (for Florida being so flat, that's a plus).
Bathroom at the beginning and half way through.
Well marked tee signs.
Cons: There were various signs stating no alcohol and to dispose your trash but in the wooded areas, there were empty bottles of beer. It's a shame because the PARK is a beautiful place to take the family.
Other Thoughts: I'm just a novice who enjoys the game, and takes pleasure knowing that my children enjoy the game as well. With the 18 holes, I scored 7 over par. That's good to me. Out of the other places that I have been (Daytona, Debary and Orlando), Turkey lake is the place to be for prime Disc Golfing for an individual or the for FAMILY.

Fun in the sun

1    3/22/2009   3/22/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Very well kept. There are some technically challenging holes. Very little 'rough' (At least it's completely different than what you get in more northern climes).
Cons: Try getting a disc out of one of those palm tree's where the shoots go upward!
Other Thoughts: It was strange playing this course in that while it appeared that your shot landed squarely on blocks of grass, when you reached the disc it would have sand on it! (You're definitely not in Kansas anymore!)

Florida-nice place to visit...

2-4    2/17/2010   2/25/2010
Review By: Rupert M
Pros: Decent to good tee-pads on most holes. Mostly cement with some carpeted pads. Decent hole-layout signs with distances and target location. Tee markers and next-tee signs are a plus. Baskets stand out and are very desirable with hole # in orange. Some tees have bag hangers. Alternate tees on some holes. Mostly open fairways with few trees strewn about. Holes range in distance nicely with some ace runs and some bombers. Not much of a chance for lost discs, as there is very little undergrowth. Very nice scenery with the lake coming into play/view on a half dozen holes. Lots of natural scenery with good use of the available elevation. They sell discs at the gatehouse at reasonable prices. Get your maps/scorecards there and tell them you are golfing. It helps with the quality control.
Cons: $2 per person or $4 per car is not a con to me but may be to some. The natural setting is off-set by the freeway being twenty feet from some fairways. The noise from the cars roaring by is quite meddlesome, combined with the constant wind makes it aesthetically un-appealing on some holes. Not many trash cans or benches. Its a multi-use park, so some holes throw over walking paths. Be aware of your surroundings. The hole-layout signs are a bit outdated. They don't always represent the current tee-to-basket situation. Common sense and a map are recommended to find a couple of next-tees. The extra holes were non-existent or just plain hard to find.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing at Turkey Lake. Hell, in the middle of winter I probably would enjoy playing anywhere but this place is pretty nice. It will give the experienced players a chance to score under par and the newer player will enjoy the scenery and wide-open fairways. Its well maintained and very popular with the local disc-golf community. When in/around Orlando it makes for a worthwhile stop. Combined with the T2, this place has more than enough to entertain ones golfing needs. Check out High Tide Harry's in Orlando for some great seafood and adult beverages at very reasonable prices.

Above average but could use some work still

1    1/10/2010   1/12/2010
Pros: 1) Concrete tees are always a plus. Otherwise you would be doing your runup on soft sandy soils.

2) Couse has lots of directional signs. These will help direct you from hole to hole and are very helpful for the first timer. I didn't have too much of a hard time finding the next hole.

3) Teesigns had Hole #, Par, and distances listed along with an OK diagram. They seemed to be more generic in showing the tree location and fairway definition. This does a couple things, it can create havoc in finding baskets that are not visible from the tee or perhaps even your second shot if you have hit a tree early on in the fairway. On the positive side, the signs will not need replacement as frequently when holes change from time to time.

4) Elevation change in Florida is always a plus. This course doesn't have too many dramatic changes on any given hole, but overall the course is what I would call rolling terrain. Some holes use the slight uphills and some use the downhill. Some also go across the slopes creating some tough stances and also allowing for the chance of rollaways and unintentional rollers.

5) Course is challenging but also very fair. The holes are well designed to include specific trees and terrain changes. There really are not too many holes that I would call tight, but all holes require some sort of shot shaping to get around key trees and obstacles.

6) Carpet tees on the alternate holes. I assume the carpet will be replaced but it works for now. They are also color coded with Blue for the back tee and red for the forward tee.

7) Practice basket is available right near the parking area by the first tee.

8) DGA baskets with number plates. All # plates face the tee which is always a positive worth mentioning since so often it is not done well.

9) Hole #17 ends with a basket set on a beach, but there is no water nearby just nice soft white sand. That seemed odd to me at first but I enjoyed it. I assume that was an intentional design idea.

10) Water is in play on 4A, 5, and again on #13. I like that there are routes to avoid the water. There always is a layup, which I tried to do on 4A. I was about 50-75' short of the bridge and I turned my Detroyer over hardcore and into the drink it went. It was simply poor execution. The wind was the culprit but so was form. I would have played it differently if I had the chance to do it over.

11) Course is beginner friendly. I like to see courses that can be played by a variety of players and the dual tees make that possible combines with the fact that most holes are somewhat open. I like that this course would still challenge a beginner however.

12) Bathrooms at the first tee area, anda small kiosk and gazebo. There are picnic tables to sit on while you wait to play also.

13) Course has a lot of variety in terrain, plant material and density, shot shaping around trees and obstacles, and also hole distances. I like that you have to throw different shots and on a few occassions it takes 2 full shots to get to the basket, while some leave simple layup approaches. This variety makes this course what it is in my opinion. You will not get bored on the course.
Cons: 1) Course seems to have had some redesigns. The map is different in a couple spots. I am not sure where Hole 5A was even wafter walking that area twice. Hole #7 on the map was along the baseball field and when I played Hole #7 ended before the baseball field. Maybe that is why 5A was missing. That also is what led to another issue I found (the long walk to Hole #8 from 7, perhaps that was only a temporary issue I do not know.

2) I do not remember seeing a single bench on the course. I do not know how busy this course would get especially being pay to play but the park looks to be very popular.

3) Old signs could use an update but they do a good enough job.

4) Some of the concrete tees were craking in spots. I am not sure if the erosion of the sandy soil is causing this or perhaps it is just soil shifting.

5) Course is challenging in spots but some of the holes are not really difficult. This comes down to the fact that most of them are fairly open, and almost none of them are tightly wooded fairways.

6) The course is a little disjointed because it goes through so many different areas. It doesnt affect the play but it does affect the navigation. There are a few longer walks and a few areas where getting lost would be possible.
Other Thoughts: I did have a good time at this course but I got a little frustrated on the alternate holes because I couldn't find Hole 5A. I also felt like it was a fun course to play and although it still challenged me around the course there still were some weaker holes. It is a mostly open course with well placed baskets to bring in the key trees and terrain. I was a little disappointed about the course only because I was expecting more from the other ratings. I know the average was about 3.75 when I played it, but there were people who rated it 4.5 or better. I just do not see this course as that good unless you have limited exposure to other courses. With that said it is still a very good course and I would play it regularly, but I can think of at least 20-25 course I would rather play, so I have to give this course a 3.5.

Lil Brother to T2

1    7/6/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 6/22/2010
Pros: Challenging, but not to long or tight. The variety of holes make you use several shots. Multiple tees and hole placements to keep it different and interesting. I have never played it when it was crowded. Beautiful park/course that is is next to a nature preserve. A few hole that water is involved. Maintained well and clean. Nice flow to the course

Tees are pretty good if you play the red ones. Most of the blue (pro) tees are carpet and lumpy. There seems to be an effort to upgrade the pro tees to large concrete pads.

Restrooms at the parking lot. Plenty of trash cans to keep it clean. Discs at the entrance if you need some plastic.

Absolutely one of the most beuatiful parks I have ever play on!!!
Cons: Not many cons to list. You have to pay $2 to enter, but it such a nice park, I don't mind. Finding hole 15 was a chore the 1st time I played. Some of the holes are pretty old and rusty, but still servicable.

All the teepads need some loving, even the red ones since they are pretty short
Other Thoughts: When the teepads are all in, this park will be awesome due to the fact that you have 36 hole to play. It is more of a traditional park course than T2. I really enjoyed this layout as much as the more difficult tract. I was really challenged on several holes

Favorite Hole: #5- With the lake on the right and an inlet and bog in the middle of he fairway, shot selection was at a premium. Takes a nice rip with accuracy to get to the pin and stay dry. Several diffent placement to challenge you each visit to the Turkey