Orlando, FL
Bill Frederick Park - Turkey Lake Share
Uploaded By: BennettUA Hole #5 (Taken 10/2010)

Nice open park course

2-4    9/25/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: dispatch1313
Pros: I played the 18 original holes. Fun open park course. The park is large enough where there is some distance on most of the holes. It's not a pitch & putt park course which is a huge pro for me. Water comes into play on a couple of the holes. I know because I had to go in the lake to get my prized Valkerie back.
Cons: I liked the front 9 the best. Better variety, more water hazards etc. The back 9 all seemed pretty much the same to me.

I wish there were more benches near the course. My very pregnant wife walked the course while I was playing and there weren't that many spots for her to sit.

Other Thoughts: Watch out for alligators. They will eat your discs.

Nice course

1    7/26/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: Hitman
Pros: Marked fairly well. Bathroom & trash cans well placed. Great basket placement. Fairways are moderately easy to stay on. Very nice park, makes for a good family outing.
Cons: Mixed use park, watch for bike & walk paths.
Other Thoughts: You have to pay to get in $2 person or $4 car load, but you go to the pool when you are done with your round. You can purchase discs on site at the front gate.

A Great family place.

2-4    4/4/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: It can be played by novices and pros.
The scenery changes ie. wooded, sandy, water, uphill, downhill (for Florida being so flat, that's a plus).
Bathroom at the beginning and half way through.
Well marked tee signs.
Cons: There were various signs stating no alcohol and to dispose your trash but in the wooded areas, there were empty bottles of beer. It's a shame because the PARK is a beautiful place to take the family.
Other Thoughts: I'm just a novice who enjoys the game, and takes pleasure knowing that my children enjoy the game as well. With the 18 holes, I scored 7 over par. That's good to me. Out of the other places that I have been (Daytona, Debary and Orlando), Turkey lake is the place to be for prime Disc Golfing for an individual or the for FAMILY.

Fun in the sun

1    3/22/2009   3/22/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Very well kept. There are some technically challenging holes. Very little 'rough' (At least it's completely different than what you get in more northern climes).
Cons: Try getting a disc out of one of those palm tree's where the shoots go upward!
Other Thoughts: It was strange playing this course in that while it appeared that your shot landed squarely on blocks of grass, when you reached the disc it would have sand on it! (You're definitely not in Kansas anymore!)

Florida-nice place to visit...

2-4    2/17/2010   2/25/2010
Review By: Rupert M
Pros: Decent to good tee-pads on most holes. Mostly cement with some carpeted pads. Decent hole-layout signs with distances and target location. Tee markers and next-tee signs are a plus. Baskets stand out and are very desirable with hole # in orange. Some tees have bag hangers. Alternate tees on some holes. Mostly open fairways with few trees strewn about. Holes range in distance nicely with some ace runs and some bombers. Not much of a chance for lost discs, as there is very little undergrowth. Very nice scenery with the lake coming into play/view on a half dozen holes. Lots of natural scenery with good use of the available elevation. They sell discs at the gatehouse at reasonable prices. Get your maps/scorecards there and tell them you are golfing. It helps with the quality control.
Cons: $2 per person or $4 per car is not a con to me but may be to some. The natural setting is off-set by the freeway being twenty feet from some fairways. The noise from the cars roaring by is quite meddlesome, combined with the constant wind makes it aesthetically un-appealing on some holes. Not many trash cans or benches. Its a multi-use park, so some holes throw over walking paths. Be aware of your surroundings. The hole-layout signs are a bit outdated. They don't always represent the current tee-to-basket situation. Common sense and a map are recommended to find a couple of next-tees. The extra holes were non-existent or just plain hard to find.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing at Turkey Lake. Hell, in the middle of winter I probably would enjoy playing anywhere but this place is pretty nice. It will give the experienced players a chance to score under par and the newer player will enjoy the scenery and wide-open fairways. Its well maintained and very popular with the local disc-golf community. When in/around Orlando it makes for a worthwhile stop. Combined with the T2, this place has more than enough to entertain ones golfing needs. Check out High Tide Harry's in Orlando for some great seafood and adult beverages at very reasonable prices.

Above average but could use some work still

1    1/10/2010   1/12/2010
Pros: 1) Concrete tees are always a plus. Otherwise you would be doing your runup on soft sandy soils.

2) Couse has lots of directional signs. These will help direct you from hole to hole and are very helpful for the first timer. I didn't have too much of a hard time finding the next hole.

3) Teesigns had Hole #, Par, and distances listed along with an OK diagram. They seemed to be more generic in showing the tree location and fairway definition. This does a couple things, it can create havoc in finding baskets that are not visible from the tee or perhaps even your second shot if you have hit a tree early on in the fairway. On the positive side, the signs will not need replacement as frequently when holes change from time to time.

4) Elevation change in Florida is always a plus. This course doesn't have too many dramatic changes on any given hole, but overall the course is what I would call rolling terrain. Some holes use the slight uphills and some use the downhill. Some also go across the slopes creating some tough stances and also allowing for the chance of rollaways and unintentional rollers.

5) Course is challenging but also very fair. The holes are well designed to include specific trees and terrain changes. There really are not too many holes that I would call tight, but all holes require some sort of shot shaping to get around key trees and obstacles.

6) Carpet tees on the alternate holes. I assume the carpet will be replaced but it works for now. They are also color coded with Blue for the back tee and red for the forward tee.

7) Practice basket is available right near the parking area by the first tee.

8) DGA baskets with number plates. All # plates face the tee which is always a positive worth mentioning since so often it is not done well.

9) Hole #17 ends with a basket set on a beach, but there is no water nearby just nice soft white sand. That seemed odd to me at first but I enjoyed it. I assume that was an intentional design idea.

10) Water is in play on 4A, 5, and again on #13. I like that there are routes to avoid the water. There always is a layup, which I tried to do on 4A. I was about 50-75' short of the bridge and I turned my Detroyer over hardcore and into the drink it went. It was simply poor execution. The wind was the culprit but so was form. I would have played it differently if I had the chance to do it over.

11) Course is beginner friendly. I like to see courses that can be played by a variety of players and the dual tees make that possible combines with the fact that most holes are somewhat open. I like that this course would still challenge a beginner however.

12) Bathrooms at the first tee area, anda small kiosk and gazebo. There are picnic tables to sit on while you wait to play also.

13) Course has a lot of variety in terrain, plant material and density, shot shaping around trees and obstacles, and also hole distances. I like that you have to throw different shots and on a few occassions it takes 2 full shots to get to the basket, while some leave simple layup approaches. This variety makes this course what it is in my opinion. You will not get bored on the course.
Cons: 1) Course seems to have had some redesigns. The map is different in a couple spots. I am not sure where Hole 5A was even wafter walking that area twice. Hole #7 on the map was along the baseball field and when I played Hole #7 ended before the baseball field. Maybe that is why 5A was missing. That also is what led to another issue I found (the long walk to Hole #8 from 7, perhaps that was only a temporary issue I do not know.

2) I do not remember seeing a single bench on the course. I do not know how busy this course would get especially being pay to play but the park looks to be very popular.

3) Old signs could use an update but they do a good enough job.

4) Some of the concrete tees were craking in spots. I am not sure if the erosion of the sandy soil is causing this or perhaps it is just soil shifting.

5) Course is challenging in spots but some of the holes are not really difficult. This comes down to the fact that most of them are fairly open, and almost none of them are tightly wooded fairways.

6) The course is a little disjointed because it goes through so many different areas. It doesnt affect the play but it does affect the navigation. There are a few longer walks and a few areas where getting lost would be possible.
Other Thoughts: I did have a good time at this course but I got a little frustrated on the alternate holes because I couldn't find Hole 5A. I also felt like it was a fun course to play and although it still challenged me around the course there still were some weaker holes. It is a mostly open course with well placed baskets to bring in the key trees and terrain. I was a little disappointed about the course only because I was expecting more from the other ratings. I know the average was about 3.75 when I played it, but there were people who rated it 4.5 or better. I just do not see this course as that good unless you have limited exposure to other courses. With that said it is still a very good course and I would play it regularly, but I can think of at least 20-25 course I would rather play, so I have to give this course a 3.5.

Lil Brother to T2

1    7/6/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 6/22/2010
Pros: Challenging, but not to long or tight. The variety of holes make you use several shots. Multiple tees and hole placements to keep it different and interesting. I have never played it when it was crowded. Beautiful park/course that is is next to a nature preserve. A few hole that water is involved. Maintained well and clean. Nice flow to the course

Tees are pretty good if you play the red ones. Most of the blue (pro) tees are carpet and lumpy. There seems to be an effort to upgrade the pro tees to large concrete pads.

Restrooms at the parking lot. Plenty of trash cans to keep it clean. Discs at the entrance if you need some plastic.

Absolutely one of the most beuatiful parks I have ever play on!!!
Cons: Not many cons to list. You have to pay $2 to enter, but it such a nice park, I don't mind. Finding hole 15 was a chore the 1st time I played. Some of the holes are pretty old and rusty, but still servicable.

All the teepads need some loving, even the red ones since they are pretty short
Other Thoughts: When the teepads are all in, this park will be awesome due to the fact that you have 36 hole to play. It is more of a traditional park course than T2. I really enjoyed this layout as much as the more difficult tract. I was really challenged on several holes

Favorite Hole: #5- With the lake on the right and an inlet and bog in the middle of he fairway, shot selection was at a premium. Takes a nice rip with accuracy to get to the pin and stay dry. Several diffent placement to challenge you each visit to the Turkey

Great Intermediate course

2-4    8/1/2009   8/3/2009
Review By: solomon.trenton
This review was updated on 3/24/2012
Pros: The course design offers an amazing amount of variety. You can grip and rip some shots whereas others have to be carefully planned. Some shots are only for tomahawks and others you have to hug the ground. Each tee has a well displayed picture and cement pads, so the navigation is vey easy. The few holes that tee off next to each other have bag holders which make waiting much easier. Several of the holes have next tee signs. This comes in handy because the signs are located when you can't see the tee pad. The Ranger hut that you check in at sells discs so if you're a little low you can stock up (I didn't check on prices though). There is a large bulletin board that has a huge course map and local disc golf info. There is a nice piece of astroturf to help you get up the hill after you tee off on 18 that helps tremendously. Possibly most important being that the course is in Florida is the facilities located at the start of both courses. There is a male and female bathroom, function hall, picnic tables, and a water fountain in the Carter Center.
Cons: Some of the baskets could use some TLC as the chains are starting to rust. Not only is there water on the course (not a bad thing in itself) it is very swampy and difficult to even get your floating discs. I was playing with my dad and cousin and we each lost a disc on hole five which has a lot more water than we all thought ; Near the water there were a ton of blind mosquitoes (ones you can't see) so it made it increasingly difficult to play through. Holes eight and nine both have overgrown tee pads: it took me a little while to find them, we actually passed them twice.
Other Thoughts: After you pay the entrance fee to get into the park follow the road all the way to the end and you will see a sign that says Carter Center and Disk Golf (yes it's actually spelled that way) to the right. Bring the course map that is given to you by the park ranger as you will need it. When I played it was 95 degrees and three of us went through over a gallon of water. If you're looking for some competition they do have a large weekly league.

Play T-2 and you will think you are in a totally different area.

Worth every penny

2-4    1/15/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Firstly, this is one of 2 courses in a beautiful park. This older course is in the more manicured area, with lawn-quality mown grass on the shores of a nice lake. The park is pay-to-play, but also limited access (gated), which benefits the disc golf by limiting the amount of non-golfers on the course.

The course features moderately open holes with enough trees to work your shots around, modest elevation changes, and very little undergrowth to lose discs in. It's not terribly long or gold-course-challenging, but every hole is different, well-designed, and fun.

I'd rate the course alone 3.5, but it's paired with The Turkeynator (4.0), and both courses have front & back nines that loop back to the parking lot, giving you options to mix-&-match any combination of the 4 9-hole loops, or play 36 fine holes in one visit.

Navigation was easy, without a map.
Cons: Park closes early, before dark. And it really closes; they lock it up tight.

Other Thoughts: It's a great park, especially if you're on an Orlando vacation and need a few hours of peace and quiet and fine disc golf.

Not a bad course

2-4    7/24/2008   6/8/2009
Review By: ntwrk
Pros: Long course
Variety of shots
Nice environment
Cons: Pay to play :)
Sometimes difficult to find the next tees your first couple of times out
Lost two discs trying to make the lake shot :(
Other Thoughts: Nice course and well maintained.