St. Petersburg, FL
Tocobaga DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #3 (Taken 9/2009)

Nice Florida feel!

1    12/3/2013   12/3/2013
Review By: Lucero 1
Pros: Beautiful course, just a minute off the highway, and very easy to get to!

Good parking, restrooms, and a nice playground and picnic area for the family.

As previously mentioned, this course offers a wide variety of shots. You can use your entire bag!

There are signs pointing to the next hole, which are highly needed, due to the big con listed below....
Cons: My biggest con: The signs (and even the baskets) aren't numbered correctly, which makes things confusing if you aren't playing with someone who has been there before.

The map at the beginning of the course doesn't appear to match the current layout.

Some of the hole signs don't show the distance, which make it difficult to know what disc to throw.
Other Thoughts: Despite the huge con, the course was very enjoyable to play, once you figure out where you're going.

This would be a tough course to play solo. There are a lot of blind throws, and the rough areas could certainly cause you to spend a lot of time searching for your discs!

If I didn't live 75 minutes away, or if I played this course regularly, I would invest a few dollars in those stick on numbers and at least label the hole and basket correctly!

Have a spotter

1    4/29/2012   5/3/2012
Review By: dan_b
Pros: Fun, relatively easy course. I enjoyed the throwing lanes, and thought the foliage was beautiful.

Good challenge in terms of playing right and left. The bushes act a serious obstacles.
Cons: Had an extremely difficult time navigating the course. Some tees and baskets are mislabeled, and there needs to be map or some help to find the next basket. I went twice before I figured out where hole 6 was.

Flat. Coming from the north, it was odd playing a course with zero elevation change.
Other Thoughts: I would go back, but would rather try a new course in the area. The best part was ending a round at 7:30 with the sun setting on the water behind the 18 basket.

Play it with a guide.

1    12/28/2009   12/29/2009
Review By: jrawk
This review was updated on 1/2/2010
Pros: For me, the best aspect of Tocabaga was its location. It is very conveniently located off of I-275 in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. We started our round at 3:30 and finished in time to watch the sunset over the gulf from the waters edge. Has the cleanest bathrooms i've ever been in at a disc golf park, but oddly enough, no hand soap.

Some unique holes early on, as previously mentioned in other reviews. Hole #2 was definately my favorite. Why there aren't more holes like this at other courses is beyond me. See ARock's review below. He describes the hole well. Also noteworthy was #7, a very tight S curve fairway with low palms on each side. I really wanted to replay this hole 3 or 4 times to try and zero in a disc for it. #8 is fun with many different fairway paths to the basket. All throwing techniques are viable options for this hole. You can hyzer around the tree clump or thumb/tamahawk over it, or try a roller around the right side of the fairway.
Cons: I really had a hard time navigating the front 9. And to me this is a big turn-off to this course. Hole 5 seemed to be closed and there was a tiny orange flag/marker with arrow pointing to 6b. We walked around for 10 minutes trying to figure it out, eventually finding the real 6's tee pad and playing. To get to it, we had to walk through thick mud underneath a boardwalk, walking past 17's tee pad and interupting another groups drives.

Many holes (2, 3, 13, 14) play on or across roads in the park, for both pedestrians and cars. It did not seem to be that big an issue, but i can see this being a problem on busy days.

After hole 7, the rest start to feel the same. The holes that open up into grass fields are nothing spectacular and the holes under palm canapies begin feeling repetative.

While 18 no longer exists, the replacement is 8b, and the park did a nice job seperating 8 from 8b, however 8b's tee pad is not concrete like the rest.

Hole 17 is just evil. A water hazard snakes through the course and is possible to lose a disk in it on nearly every throw. Luckily I didn't , but we did have to wait for the group in front of us to dig out the disc they lost (and found another in the process). I'm not from Florida and don't know if that stuff is suppose to smell like that or not, but it was horrid. Outside of tournement play, i think i'd skip it entirely.

Even tho the bathrooms were clean, the park was surprisingly dirty. I saw a lot of trash cans spread throughout the park but litter was everywhere. Not sure if this was because of the wind or not.
Other Thoughts: After playing at Youth Park DGC earlier in the day where all the locals were saying how great of a course Tocabaga is, i was so hyped to get there and play. Everything was great until I got lost finding hole 6. And my spirits were taken away from my round slightly. The park needs to do a better job marking the way from 4 to 5 to 6, or whatever the flow is supposed to be.

The locals also warned me i might lose a disc or two in the brush, but i didn't have a problem finding anything. Seemed like the park had recently trimmed the brush a bit. And there is enough foot paths through the heavy stuff from other players tracking through them.

I'm struggling to give this course a 3 rating, but i know my temper might have been detracting from the experience others have had. I try not to review a course unless i've played it twice, but since i don't think i'll be coming back to the area for a year or two, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt.