St. Petersburg, FL
Tocobaga DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #10 (Taken 9/2009)

Beautiful Pinellas course!

1    11/20/2014   12/1/2014
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: First off, this course is gorgeous! The setting is beautiful and the nature is a blast to play in. Palms and Spanish Moss everywhere, with a beach nearby and lots of other pretty flora and fauna.

Super easy to get to and in a pretty park right at the southern tip of Pinellas County.

I really liked the shot over the trees on hole 2, and appreciate the flag on top of the basket. I'd have had no idea where I was throwing without it.

Signage was very pretty and interesting; wooden signs are a new one for me and they were very attractive (more on them later!).

The brush and rough here was prevalent and more notable than a lot of the other courses I've played in Tampa Bay, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming. I didn't find it too horrible to play around and it was generally more fun than frustrating.

Bathrooms, trash facilities, and parking are readily accessible at the start of the course, always a plus. The neighborhood appeared to be pretty decent as well.

Park was well maintained when I got there. Fairways were mowed, rough was in control, and trash seemed picked up. Course felt very tidy for the most part. I should note I played in November, so standing water and crowds weren't as much of a concern.

This course had a certain "charm" about it that really does help to cover up at least some of its other flaws. It was a very different experience than many of the other courses around Tampa Bay that I've played and honestly, that alone was worth the stop, in spite of the following issues.
Cons: NAVIGATION! I never did find 5, 10, or 14, and the map at the start of the course was useless and appeared to be out of date. Generally I don't have a problem getting around even on some of the more navigationally-challenged courses, but the flow here was bizarre and the navigational aids that were present did nothing to help. I still thoroughly enjoyed my round but this is a glaring flaw that would be fairly easy to fix with an accurate, up-to-date map.

On several holes you are throwing directly at parking lots, near shelters, over roads, across walking paths, etc. I expect this to some extent at many parks, but it's taken to an extreme here and you have to be really careful to watch for pedestrians and cars, or you'll damage someone's property or hurt them.

Not a whole lot of long bomb opportunities here really, most of the holes seemed fairly short.

The wooden signs, although delightful, don't really show you much info and are somewhat worn. There are "NEXT TEE" signs scattered around, but they are also mostly unhelpful. The baskets also mostly have the wrong numbers on them.
Other Thoughts: I feel like you'll either love or hate this course. I fall in the "love" category, but I have to be objective and rate it as a disc golf course first, park second. Bottom line is, it's a pretty setting and has charm about it. However, the layout is not perfect, and navigation is downright horrendous.

If you can enjoy the nature and other factors that make this course fun, I would recommend it. If you'll get frustrated at having to hunt around for the next tee and at times spotty signage, skip it. Happy discing!

Fun Course

1    6/30/2013   7/2/2013
Review By: blueblur
Pros: Variety of interesting holes. Many different lines needed to do well on this course. Some great looks that I haven't seen on other courses.

Most common theme for unusual holes is throwing over palmetto bushes to a small cleared green. This is used in design of at least 4 holes. There is another hole where you can throw over some taller trees and rough to get to the basket.

Park has some nice amenities and views over the bay. There is a very nice playground (about to reopen after renovation) if you have kids with you.
Cons: Dense underbrush and vines. On some of the holes you are throwing over rough to get to the green. I think this is a neat feature, but I have included it also in the cons because of the potential for lost discs. A spotter is a good idea.

Overall, it is a fairly short course. Apparently 2 holes used to be long but had to be changed due to construction of a new road.

Some previous reviews mention incorrect signage because of the hole changes. These have mostly been fixed. There is one hole that the sign says is over 500 ft from the long pads, but it is now about 300. Also, the next tee pad after that is painted on the sidewalk with no tee sign.

Tee signs don't indicate what is OB. There was quite a bit of water on the course and as a new player, it wasn't entirely clear what was casual and what was OB.

There are also quite a few holes with asphalt walkways. We assumed they weren't OB, but if you want more challenging play, you could certainly call them OB.
Other Thoughts: Mostly technical short to medium length holes, but a few (5?) where you can throw a full on drive with less accuracy required.

Hole 18 was my favorite. You throw a technical shot off the tee toward a basket tucked into a curve in a water filled (OB) ditch. Scary but fun.

A treasure

1    6/21/2013   6/21/2013
Review By: davmer2303
Pros: * The course has hole after hole of beautiful tight lines. Makes for a great challenge.
* Teepads are good quality and baskets are very receptive.
* There is excellent distance variety. You'll need your whole bag.
* Course requires hyzer and anhyzer lines. It's a shotmakers area.
* Course is very shaded and the sea breeze keeps things a little less humid.
* Locals were very helpful with some of the course's challenges. (see below)
* Despite the tightness and palmettos, discs were very findable. (not much other ground cover)
* Course had a high fun factor IF you are already familiar with disc golf. I would not say that it is beginner friendly.
Cons: * After holes 1 to 4, there is no guide to hole five. Turns out its to the right and over a bridge. But, you will not see this. There were several areas of confused navigation, and also wrong number baskets for different holes. The signs were helpful at times, and non existent at others. One of the locals told me that it added to the experience. Since I enjoyed the course I tend to agree, however, there is a high level of first time frustration if you do not play with a person who has been there.
* The above is my only con. there was a lot of rough, but the fairways were well defined, and i liked the challenge. This was a 4 star course to me if the navigation issues are cleaned up.
Other Thoughts: I loved this course! Most holes required thoughtful shots, and accurate throws. The distance varied quite a bit and the course itself was beautiful. The park it was in, Maximo park, is a great area to fish for sea trout, have bbq, or relax by the beach. The actual facilities are great. If they get their signage/navigation issues cleaned up, this course will rise even higher. However now, it may not be easy for someone with a low frustration level. But, for those of you looking for a great course, this one should not be ignored. I loved it!

1 of my top 2 local courses

5+    5/26/2013   6/5/2013
Review By: Blazingwebs
Pros: Love the challenge of this course, it requires a multitude of different shots. The epitome of a FL course.
Cons: The regular (very large) Sunday group that plays here can be very rude (one of them claims to be the course "pro"), we do our best to avoid them.
Other Thoughts: It's been over 2 yrs since they were forced to change some of the holes here, it would be nice if new signage was implemented and the layout of hole 3 and the 8/9 combo were addressed. My group would be happy to donate time and money towards this goal.

Maximo Rules

5+    5/20/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: v0nn3gut
This review was updated on 8/12/2012
Pros: This course is quite simply my favorite course in the bay area. It is very challenging but it also offers you some birdie chances on both the front and back nine. It requires a wide array of shots.
Cons: I hate the way 18 was removed. I studied anthropology as an undergrad so I get wanting to preserve something, but they're destroying the most beautiful hole on the course to preserve a mound of ancient garbage. By taking out 18 you're adding in a hole at 6 and it just feels forced the way it is now.
Other Thoughts: Had they not changed it it would be a 4, easily.

Logistics:

Definitely need high socks on this one. Very easy to find yourself in sabal palm jungle.

If you're tall keep eyes open for banana spider webs. I've walked into more than one on this course and my girlish shrieks are still echoing somewhere.

First time frustrated, second time had a blast!

5+    5/18/2013   5/3/2012
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/19/2013
Pros: -Maximo is a beautiful Park located on the Tampa Bay. Playing under the canopy of the trees, the trees surrounding the course and the bay in the background made this a very enjoyable experience.

-Wooden Tee Signs, with the fairway carved out. The Tee signs have been painted over and now reflect the proper numbering of each fairway. Concrete tee's, Very sharp Mach series baskets,

-Practice Basket and Restrooms at the start, Shelter houses with picnic tables and benches throughout the course.

-Multiple Tee pads, with some Alternating pin placements

-The Pins are well balanced for RH & LH players. As well as a few straight forward shots.

-A few risk/reward holes. The brush is so dense, that it becomes a risky carry over some dense brush or. (A spotter can still be a good thing)

-Most of the holes will require a specific line and/or approach placement. A few fairways have a "Local Route" option you can throw.

-No two holes play the same. There is a lot of variety among the fairways. Some are tight, some are open, and others you have to select your line through the trees. Not to mention, there are numerous doglegs to work around. I think this is what defines Maximo as being the course that it is. There is a shot for everyone.
Tip: The Indian symbol looking signs are Mandos

-The rough here adds a nice touch to the Risk/Reward. The cabbage palms give the course the classic Floridian look, but don't let your disc land in the midst of them. You'll spend a lot of unnecessary time looking for your disc.

-Navigation flow is a little choppy, but most of the pin placements have excellent pin locations. The exception being 8 & 9, which are decent fairways, it's just that they start side by side. This is due to the redesign.

-Personally, I wouldn't recommend it to beginners, but I wouldn't say they couldn't. Those who lack control could get frustrated here. (Azalea Park is nearby, so there is a nice beginner course nearby)

FWIW
-Boat Ramp
-Walking Trails
-Picnic area along the shoreline
Cons: -Navigation is #1. I realize they were forced to relocate some of the baskets due to some archaeological group that wanted exclusive rights to the Indian mounds.

-To get to #5, the path has you cross right through the middle of #18's fairway. There are no signs giving people the heads up.

-You will want a spotter on some holes, the cabbage palms can easily hide your disc. Every time I play here, I'll usually end up looking for a disc somewhere.

-The rough is so dense, that you could actually spend a lot of time searching for your disc. One time I sent 20 minutes looking for a disc that God only knows how many times I walked past it.

-You have to throw over the road and near sidewalks. On one hole, the fairway is the sidewalk.

-Park goers may interact and be an issue as well. Look before you throw.

-When you play 8, look to the left and you'll see 9's Teepad. When you finish, you'll have to walk back. Or just throw 9 after you throw 8. then hole out on 8,then hole out on 9. It'll save you a walk back.

-#14 long tee's require a hyzer sweep over an overflow parking lot. Short tees are on the other side of the lot, but it's only a matter of time before a car gets hit. May not be a factor during the week, but on a Saturday, that marina could be full!

-The 18 basket that used to be next to the shore line is no longer there. I had been looking forward to playing that hole, and I never got the chance to play it before it was moved.

REVIEWER NOTE: Scroll down to numbernine's review and take note of his course tips. If you are going to play here, then you will need some directions. He did a great job in notating all of the discrepancies.
Other Thoughts: I had been looking forward to playing here ever since I moved to Florida. Much to my chagrin, the shoreline #18 basket was removed due to a local citizen group. The first time I played here, there was much "First time frustration". The second time was much better! I played with someone that knows the course, plus I had already played, so I knew what to expect. Maximo is a big course, and there isn't a natural flow to the course. ...per say. Navigation is really the crux of what makes this course frustrating to play. The Tee Signs have been painted over and now have proper numbering for each hole. Even though that it alleviates some confusion, there are still some navigation issues. You'll still want a map to know where to go. Knowing that 8 & 9 play parallel to each other is going to be one thing to remember. I still recommend contacting a local to guide you through the course.

Now, should that stop you from playing here? Absolutely not! It is a beautiful park, its fun to play and it is well worth your time. For the seasoned Disc Golfer, this course could be a fun place to play. It's challenging and it requires shot shaping, strategy, and accuracy. Just make sure that you are prepared to play here, because that can make a big difference in your experience at Maximo.

I would recommend covered shoes and pants. Though I've seen worse, the brush can tear you up. I put my arm in something and I can still feel it itching! If you play here, just count on spending some time in the brush. There are not a lot of restaurants or gas stations nearby, so make sure you bring something with you. Definitely bring some liquids. There are some open field fairways, and it can get hot! If you are coming from the south, it costs 1$ to cross the skyway bridge.

Update addendum: Now that I live in Tampa and play here more often, I really want to bump this course to a 4 star course. In my book it's worthy of 4 stars. The problem is that I know 1st time players are going to have absolute fits if they don't know where to go. It's just that pesky navigation issue for road trippers and first timer's. It took me playing here 2 or 3 times before I had the navigation down. Now I love playing here! ...when I'm not buried in the brush!

Definitely Unique

1    10/24/2011   2/28/2012
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Man is this place pretty. One of the most beautiful settings for a round of disc golf I have ever encountered. I have played in northern forests, wooded valleys, rolling meadows...and all are great…but Tocobaga DGC at Maximo Park is my favorite to date. The low lying shrubs create a very different challenge in that you can often see the basket, but landing in close proximity is the challenge. There are a couple of pseudo-island greens requiring you to land in the clearing surrounded by these 3-4 foot high shrubs. Add that the ocean is just a stone's throw away. Nice environment.

The holes are pretty cool. I didn't notice any sort of repetition in style, though it seemed as most of the holes were of the average traditional length. (250-350) There are some wooded holes and some fairly open holes. All in all, it is a well-rounded course.

Tees and baskets were in solid condition.
Cons: Not very many benches, that I noticed, but I was playing by myself so it wasn't a major issue.

It is very easy to lose discs in the low shrubs. I lost a disc that I loved there but there is simply no way to gauge some of your shots when playing alone. Scouts are almost necessary on holes where the shrubs are found. They are pretty, but make this aspect of the game difficult.

Around Hole 4, you come to a corner of the park that is really close to the main road and it is really noisy. There is also a marina that can be seen. For some reason, I felt like this was the kind of place that Horatio Caine goes to find the bad guys. That part of the course was not as pretty as the rest.

There are some definite navigation issues on the course. Since I was by myself, I was scouting each hole alone. Add in that I had to walk around trying to find the next hole, and this became a pretty grueling round. Directional signs were occasionally found but more would have been helpful.
Other Thoughts: Even though I don't think there are any in the area since it is so close to the ocean, I was petrified of coming across a gator in those shrubs. A little reassurance or the fact that someone else was there with me may have helped. Being by myself, I was sure that if I was attacked, no one was going to save me. In any case, I saw no gator and this gorgeous park was empty the day that I played.

Tocobaga is a cool course. Definitely worthy of a "very good" rating. However, it simply doesn't provide the "wow" factor that I often mention in reviews that would bump it up to an "excellent" course. It is definitely unique in style, but nothing that is jaw-dropping. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who happens to be in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area. It is a good, solid course that most any player would enjoy.

5+    4/2/2010   4/13/2010
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This course will force you to pull out every possible shot in your bag. There are holes that are best birdied by thumbers and rollers and others that just require a nice, straight shot. Several holes around 380-450 will challenge your arm. Several holes are very tight and technical. There are still a couple you can let rip. The locals are very nice and have regular events (handicaps and doubles) at the park.

The park is well maintained and typically pretty clean. It is a multi-use park with a nice walking trail (that interferes with DG every now and then), pavilions with grills, and a boat ramp. Be prepared to enjoy the beauty of this park right on the Gulf of Mexico.
Cons: Navigation/signage - due to local issues 2 of the holes have been moved. This has killed the flow of the course. Hole 5 has been removed and there is nothing really to tell you how to get from 4 to 6a. After 6a, there is nothing telling you the teepad for 6b is 25 feet from that pin on the path. People walk around aimlessly looking for these holes.

Hole 18 has also been removed. This was the signature hole that shot out to the edge of the beach. It was beautiful. Now there are two holes at hole 8 to replace hole 18. The navigation issue is a serious problem.

It also looks like some of the key trees are going to be removed from the course. If this happens, it will make some of the more technical, difficult holes much easier to birdie and will hurt this course.

Rough - Stay in the fairways. The rough is rough. It is very easy to lose discs here. This is especially true on holes 3, 7, & 9.

Water - hole 17 (now the last hole) has a nasty water pit in front of the pin. Don't go in that nasty stuff. You will want to rake out your disc. I pulled someone's putter out of there and it STANK. You can't hardly get the stink out of a disc that has been in there any length of time. So don't get in that.

1    12/27/2009   2/27/2010
Review By: Bobby
Pros: Fun course to play with a beautiful scenery. A lot of birdie shots. There was also a verity of holes
Cons: Missing two baskets and was kinda difficult to locate the tees for my first time. The tees came in all shapes and sizes.

Palm Trees make great obstacles!

1    12/22/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: ARock
Pros: Short palm trees make great obstacles for this gorgeous walk through the course. A nice mix of open and tight holes with creative course layout. I especially like #2 where you have to fly over some low lying brush and then land in a small area near the pin without flying over into the parking lot. For the most part, this course is pretty short (holes in the 300' range) but what makes it really interesting, and play longer than that, is the low lying canopy of palm trees. You have to keep your disc low to stay out of the trouble, so that adds distance that the distance markers don't do justice for. The 18th hole is a very interesting layout with a creek guarding both the front and the side of the basket with lots of trees in the fairway to cause problems. I played the short tees and really hope to get back there to play the big boy tees soon.
Cons: If you can throw a Roc straight for about 280-320', a few of the holes have the same exact feel. Parts of the course are poorly marked and we wandered around a bit trying to find teepads. Hole distances are only labeled for long tees, so when playing a short round, have to walk back to long tees to get distances.
Other Thoughts: Gorgeous scenery with the water visible (but out of play) on many holes. Would love to play this one again now that I better understand the course and where the OB's and mandos are. I think that would add another nice challenge that wasn't completely clearly the first time around.