St. Petersburg, FL
Tocobaga DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #12 (Taken 9/2009)

Maximo Rules

5+    5/20/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: v0nn3gut
This review was updated on 8/12/2012
Pros: This course is quite simply my favorite course in the bay area. It is very challenging but it also offers you some birdie chances on both the front and back nine. It requires a wide array of shots.
Cons: I hate the way 18 was removed. I studied anthropology as an undergrad so I get wanting to preserve something, but they're destroying the most beautiful hole on the course to preserve a mound of ancient garbage. By taking out 18 you're adding in a hole at 6 and it just feels forced the way it is now.
Other Thoughts: Had they not changed it it would be a 4, easily.

Logistics:

Definitely need high socks on this one. Very easy to find yourself in sabal palm jungle.

If you're tall keep eyes open for banana spider webs. I've walked into more than one on this course and my girlish shrieks are still echoing somewhere.

First time frustrated, second time had a blast!

5+    5/18/2013   5/3/2012
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/19/2013
Pros: -Maximo is a beautiful Park located on the Tampa Bay. Playing under the canopy of the trees, the trees surrounding the course and the bay in the background made this a very enjoyable experience.

-Wooden Tee Signs, with the fairway carved out. The Tee signs have been painted over and now reflect the proper numbering of each fairway. Concrete tee's, Very sharp Mach series baskets,

-Practice Basket and Restrooms at the start, Shelter houses with picnic tables and benches throughout the course.

-Multiple Tee pads, with some Alternating pin placements

-The Pins are well balanced for RH & LH players. As well as a few straight forward shots.

-A few risk/reward holes. The brush is so dense, that it becomes a risky carry over some dense brush or. (A spotter can still be a good thing)

-Most of the holes will require a specific line and/or approach placement. A few fairways have a "Local Route" option you can throw.

-No two holes play the same. There is a lot of variety among the fairways. Some are tight, some are open, and others you have to select your line through the trees. Not to mention, there are numerous doglegs to work around. I think this is what defines Maximo as being the course that it is. There is a shot for everyone.
Tip: The Indian symbol looking signs are Mandos

-The rough here adds a nice touch to the Risk/Reward. The cabbage palms give the course the classic Floridian look, but don't let your disc land in the midst of them. You'll spend a lot of unnecessary time looking for your disc.

-Navigation flow is a little choppy, but most of the pin placements have excellent pin locations. The exception being 8 & 9, which are decent fairways, it's just that they start side by side. This is due to the redesign.

-Personally, I wouldn't recommend it to beginners, but I wouldn't say they couldn't. Those who lack control could get frustrated here. (Azalea Park is nearby, so there is a nice beginner course nearby)

FWIW
-Boat Ramp
-Walking Trails
-Picnic area along the shoreline
Cons: -Navigation is #1. I realize they were forced to relocate some of the baskets due to some archaeological group that wanted exclusive rights to the Indian mounds.

-To get to #5, the path has you cross right through the middle of #18's fairway. There are no signs giving people the heads up.

-You will want a spotter on some holes, the cabbage palms can easily hide your disc. Every time I play here, I'll usually end up looking for a disc somewhere.

-The rough is so dense, that you could actually spend a lot of time searching for your disc. One time I sent 20 minutes looking for a disc that God only knows how many times I walked past it.

-You have to throw over the road and near sidewalks. On one hole, the fairway is the sidewalk.

-Park goers may interact and be an issue as well. Look before you throw.

-When you play 8, look to the left and you'll see 9's Teepad. When you finish, you'll have to walk back. Or just throw 9 after you throw 8. then hole out on 8,then hole out on 9. It'll save you a walk back.

-#14 long tee's require a hyzer sweep over an overflow parking lot. Short tees are on the other side of the lot, but it's only a matter of time before a car gets hit. May not be a factor during the week, but on a Saturday, that marina could be full!

-The 18 basket that used to be next to the shore line is no longer there. I had been looking forward to playing that hole, and I never got the chance to play it before it was moved.

REVIEWER NOTE: Scroll down to numbernine's review and take note of his course tips. If you are going to play here, then you will need some directions. He did a great job in notating all of the discrepancies.
Other Thoughts: I had been looking forward to playing here ever since I moved to Florida. Much to my chagrin, the shoreline #18 basket was removed due to a local citizen group. The first time I played here, there was much "First time frustration". The second time was much better! I played with someone that knows the course, plus I had already played, so I knew what to expect. Maximo is a big course, and there isn't a natural flow to the course. ...per say. Navigation is really the crux of what makes this course frustrating to play. The Tee Signs have been painted over and now have proper numbering for each hole. Even though that it alleviates some confusion, there are still some navigation issues. You'll still want a map to know where to go. Knowing that 8 & 9 play parallel to each other is going to be one thing to remember. I still recommend contacting a local to guide you through the course.

Now, should that stop you from playing here? Absolutely not! It is a beautiful park, its fun to play and it is well worth your time. For the seasoned Disc Golfer, this course could be a fun place to play. It's challenging and it requires shot shaping, strategy, and accuracy. Just make sure that you are prepared to play here, because that can make a big difference in your experience at Maximo.

I would recommend covered shoes and pants. Though I've seen worse, the brush can tear you up. I put my arm in something and I can still feel it itching! If you play here, just count on spending some time in the brush. There are not a lot of restaurants or gas stations nearby, so make sure you bring something with you. Definitely bring some liquids. There are some open field fairways, and it can get hot! If you are coming from the south, it costs 1$ to cross the skyway bridge.

Update addendum: Now that I live in Tampa and play here more often, I really want to bump this course to a 4 star course. In my book it's worthy of 4 stars. The problem is that I know 1st time players are going to have absolute fits if they don't know where to go. It's just that pesky navigation issue for road trippers and first timer's. It took me playing here 2 or 3 times before I had the navigation down. Now I love playing here! ...when I'm not buried in the brush!

Have a spotter

1    4/29/2012   5/3/2012
Review By: dan_b
Pros: Fun, relatively easy course. I enjoyed the throwing lanes, and thought the foliage was beautiful.

Good challenge in terms of playing right and left. The bushes act a serious obstacles.
Cons: Had an extremely difficult time navigating the course. Some tees and baskets are mislabeled, and there needs to be map or some help to find the next basket. I went twice before I figured out where hole 6 was.

Flat. Coming from the north, it was odd playing a course with zero elevation change.
Other Thoughts: I would go back, but would rather try a new course in the area. The best part was ending a round at 7:30 with the sun setting on the water behind the 18 basket.

Amazing setting. Average course.

1    3/27/2012   4/1/2012
Review By: numbernine
Pros: Let me start out with the biggest pro of this course; This is the single prettiest disc golf course that I have ever had the privilege to step foot on. The trees were amazing. There was a constant canopy of palms. The palmettos were beautiful and brutal.The views by the water and the observation tower were stunning. Hole 17 and 18 are like playing through a deserted island. I mean it, this place is gorgeous.

There are two pads on most of the holes. I think that some of them had one concrete and one dirt pad, but there were always options. One of the holes had you teeing off from a walking path. While less than great, at least it was something,

The baskets caught well and seemed to be in very good shape. I never had anything ring out on me or bounce up.

There are benches at a few of the holes. And there are ample amounts of trashcans and the like.

Really neat use of the natural terrain, which makes for some super cool shots out there. One that comes to mind is #5, which is one of the longer holes on the course, and the basket is surrounded by out of bounds, with LOADS of trees and brush from pad to basket.

There are signs most of the time.
Cons: Since I started with the biggest pro, I will also hit the biggest con; navigation. One through four - easy enough to find. Honestly, you might never find 5. Come off of fours basket, hook a hard right, go down a hill, through the fairway of 18, over a long footbridge and take your first left. If you try and go all the way down the bridge, I think you end up in Missouri. Not sure. There is then no sign for six. This is the hole where you tee off from the walking path. I guess. Seven is then across the entrance to the park, across a couple of roads, and down a windy path to a blind pin. 8 may or may not exist. 9 definitely doesn't exist. you have to throw off what is marked as "18" to 9, but it's marked as 8B's basket. Yeah, a tiny bit confusing. There is just no natural flow to the course either for the most part. Switch backs and trying to find he next hole and...you get it.

There are signs most of the time. However, they mark none of the danger. They generally aren't very close to where the pin actually is.. And really, a lot of them are just hard to read. on a course like this, where most of the pins are hidden, you have to have good signage. This course fails there.

There are a couple of shots on this course that I would call unsafe. Three comes to mind. You HAVE to throw out over a road, on a blind shot, towards a very busy parking lot. Cars could be coming, or people could be walking, and then you need to walk in the road to get to the pin. This is a big one for me. There is enough space in this park that this should never happen. But it happens on a couple of occasions. Throwing over multiple roads, being forced to walk on the road, and crossing over other fairways to get to other tee stations.
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful course and it has a lot of potential. But until the navigation and safety issues get squared away, I don't know how people can rate this higher than 3. I am going to give it a 2.5. If I knocked half a point off for every time I heard "fore", this rating would be a negative 12.
Safety is paramount, and I don't feel like you are totally safe on this course.

The question asks "do you find this review helpful". Not "Do you agree with this review". I covered EVERY point of his course objectively, Saying otherwise is just being petulant.

Tocobaga Indians--First Disc Golfers

2-4    3/24/2012   4/1/2012
Review By: ohtobediscing
This review was updated on 7/22/2013
Pros: I felt like a South Seas islander sitting at the first tee. From the table I could gaze across a palm-shaded expanse of grass and pristine sand to watch swimmers, wading fishermen and sailboats plying the sun-drenched, island-dotted blue waters of outer Tampa Bay.
If mature trees were the only vegetation, it would be a stately, almost ball golf-like course. But the vines, mangroves and infinite palmettos make an adamant statement: This is no course for noobs, beginners, or early intermediates with an erratic arm.
None of the holes are really long[400+ on #11], but if you're RHBH only, you'll learn on #1 that this is a very technical course. #2's basket has a 25 ft. radius of grass/sand surrounded by 30+ yds. of chest-high palmettos. #s 7, 15 & 17 are similar. #s 4-6, 12-13 & 18 have mature trees studding the fairway with less sideline vegetation. #s 8-10, 14-16 have mostly open fairways, but the baskets are backed by walls of vicious rough. #s12-13 have shallow water with overarching mangroves near the basket. #18 has a small murky pond to throw over, but it dries up a lot of the time.
The course runs counter-clockwise: #5 tee is near the shoreline SE of #4, and #14 tee is SE of the gazebo near tee #11. Most of the baskets have a distinct path towards the next tee.
Benches are at most pro tees[funny that people get so worked-up by the course that they don't notice them], and the baskets and tops are anodized a beautiful rich blue. The signs were gorgeous at one time, but were covered in a heavy laquer, and many have cracked and become opaque in the sun. Bathrooms well attended. Gazebos, grills and playground right on the shoreline. The marina just outside the park has soda and beer, some snacks.
Cons: Palmettos. The Blue Angel "Palmetto" course has nothing on this place. I played 3 rounds with 3 different groups, and each group had at least 2-3 protracted episodes of disc-hunting. After #7 my legs and Teva-ed feet were slashed and bleeding, and I whimpered and wailed like a lost soul every time the palmettos closed in.
Any open spaces in the brush will have garden spider webs stretched across them, with spiders up to 4 in. across. I took Arachnidology in college and mostly got over my fear of spiders. Mostly.
A few holes throw over roads or near paths. The roads are one-way and easily scouted, and only a quick bicycle could sneak into your drive on the path.
Humid and buggy except Nov.-Feb., with sudden afternoon thunderstorms possible the rest of the year..
Other Thoughts: 8 years ago a woman named Beth showed up and handed out clippers to golfers, saying the vines and certain other woody plants weren't indigenous and should be eliminated. Eventually the DG community went to court to keep her from altering the course. In the midst of researching park records it was discovered that there were Indian mounds on site. Beth now sued the park and DGers, trying to remove the DGC from the "sacred burial grounds". Archeologists were brought in, and it was determined that the mounds were "middens", or ancient trash piles composed of shells, bones, and broken tools. She lost.
But 16th-17th century explorers' sketches were uncovered, that show the Tocobaga Indians playing a game wherein they threw "disc-like" objects. HA! Take that, Wham-O!!

Definitely Unique

1    10/24/2011   2/28/2012
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Man is this place pretty. One of the most beautiful settings for a round of disc golf I have ever encountered. I have played in northern forests, wooded valleys, rolling meadows...and all are great…but Tocobaga DGC at Maximo Park is my favorite to date. The low lying shrubs create a very different challenge in that you can often see the basket, but landing in close proximity is the challenge. There are a couple of pseudo-island greens requiring you to land in the clearing surrounded by these 3-4 foot high shrubs. Add that the ocean is just a stone's throw away. Nice environment.

The holes are pretty cool. I didn't notice any sort of repetition in style, though it seemed as most of the holes were of the average traditional length. (250-350) There are some wooded holes and some fairly open holes. All in all, it is a well-rounded course.

Tees and baskets were in solid condition.
Cons: Not very many benches, that I noticed, but I was playing by myself so it wasn't a major issue.

It is very easy to lose discs in the low shrubs. I lost a disc that I loved there but there is simply no way to gauge some of your shots when playing alone. Scouts are almost necessary on holes where the shrubs are found. They are pretty, but make this aspect of the game difficult.

Around Hole 4, you come to a corner of the park that is really close to the main road and it is really noisy. There is also a marina that can be seen. For some reason, I felt like this was the kind of place that Horatio Caine goes to find the bad guys. That part of the course was not as pretty as the rest.

There are some definite navigation issues on the course. Since I was by myself, I was scouting each hole alone. Add in that I had to walk around trying to find the next hole, and this became a pretty grueling round. Directional signs were occasionally found but more would have been helpful.
Other Thoughts: Even though I don't think there are any in the area since it is so close to the ocean, I was petrified of coming across a gator in those shrubs. A little reassurance or the fact that someone else was there with me may have helped. Being by myself, I was sure that if I was attacked, no one was going to save me. In any case, I saw no gator and this gorgeous park was empty the day that I played.

Tocobaga is a cool course. Definitely worthy of a "very good" rating. However, it simply doesn't provide the "wow" factor that I often mention in reviews that would bump it up to an "excellent" course. It is definitely unique in style, but nothing that is jaw-dropping. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who happens to be in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area. It is a good, solid course that most any player would enjoy.

GREAT!!

1    1/13/2012   1/26/2012
Review By: NoahPeterson
Pros: Fun and challenging. Fast and short. Mix of holes: woods, open, underbrush. Lots of blind shots.
Cons: Poorly marked, easy to get lost on.
Other Thoughts: This course is a blast. Wicked fun and gnarly. Worth the trip. This is a course you will be glad you played. Don't miss it.

maximo park

5+    12/24/2011   1/8/2012
Review By: tedy4444
Pros: technical shots on many holes. nice varienty of short, tight fairways and longer slightly open shots. great visit for the out of towner looking for a challenge. this is my home course and by far my favorite in the area.
Cons: it is a little easy to get lost if you have never played here before. i find people wandering around almost every time i play here.

Great Course

2-4    11/1/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: captainobvious
Pros: - Worth a drive from most places
- Technical, not a beginner course
- Variety of different shots and holes
- Variety of plants
- Beautiful park
Cons: - Tee Signs, 15 sign in a tree near 16...but you can figure most out pretty easy. One tee is on a sidewalk near the boat place so make sure to watch for it.
- Some bugs if no wind out, but hey the sport is outside
Other Thoughts: Use bright discs and a spotter down course to prevent losing your discs in the saw palmettos. It is easy to lose track of were your discs go in them. Never really had a problem getting stuck in trees. A few holes near the water, but very very hard to lose a disc to the water because plants protect boundaries well.

Take Me Back to Tocobaga

1    8/2/2011   8/8/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Tocobaga DGC is one of the best parks in Florida as far as I can say. A lot of distinctly different looks from hole to hole, and a few of the most perfectly framed, scenic views from the tee pads. Loved the plant life and crazy lizards around the course. The park itself seemed tidy and well kept, and there were basic amenities as far as trash cans and benches. The tee pads and signs were adequate, but there was room for improvement there. All of the baskets were there and in fine condition. I liked the consistent changes in direction and line height from hole to hole. Many of the fairways are short enough to drive the green, but there are also some longer ones where you can throw as hard as you can. Nice opportunities to practice forehand drives on a couple of holes. Overall this course rewards versatility, skill, and making your shots. There are low ceilings and high spike hyzers. There are narrow corridors and wide open grassy fairways. Usually the trees and vines will pose a formidable challenge, but Tocobaga is very playable and a whole lot of birdies is not out of the question.
Cons: As much as I liked this park, there is some room for improvement. The biggest fault to me were the short tee pads. They were smooth, level concrete, but were just too short for my run up, and messed up my footwork once or twice. I might give another half point on my rating if the size of the boxes was increased. The tee signs were a bit rough, but OK. The only other downside is the possibility of losing discs. I have never seen so many discs get stuck in trees. Me and the guy I played with each lost one the tree tops. Visible, but not retrievable. Several more hung up, but we got them back somehow.
Other Thoughts: I say this in half of my reviews, but I REALLY wish I could have played a few more rounds at Tocobaga. The course was fully enjoyable. Unique visually, mixing fun and challenge. Played with local dude, Tim, and had a great time shooting a bad score. Loved the course as a whole, and I know I could shoot a much better score (given a couple of more chances).