St. Petersburg, FL
Tocobaga DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #11 (Taken 9/2009)

Play it with a guide.

1    12/28/2009   12/29/2009
Review By: jrawk
This review was updated on 1/2/2010
Pros: For me, the best aspect of Tocabaga was its location. It is very conveniently located off of I-275 in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. We started our round at 3:30 and finished in time to watch the sunset over the gulf from the waters edge. Has the cleanest bathrooms i've ever been in at a disc golf park, but oddly enough, no hand soap.

Some unique holes early on, as previously mentioned in other reviews. Hole #2 was definately my favorite. Why there aren't more holes like this at other courses is beyond me. See ARock's review below. He describes the hole well. Also noteworthy was #7, a very tight S curve fairway with low palms on each side. I really wanted to replay this hole 3 or 4 times to try and zero in a disc for it. #8 is fun with many different fairway paths to the basket. All throwing techniques are viable options for this hole. You can hyzer around the tree clump or thumb/tamahawk over it, or try a roller around the right side of the fairway.
Cons: I really had a hard time navigating the front 9. And to me this is a big turn-off to this course. Hole 5 seemed to be closed and there was a tiny orange flag/marker with arrow pointing to 6b. We walked around for 10 minutes trying to figure it out, eventually finding the real 6's tee pad and playing. To get to it, we had to walk through thick mud underneath a boardwalk, walking past 17's tee pad and interupting another groups drives.

Many holes (2, 3, 13, 14) play on or across roads in the park, for both pedestrians and cars. It did not seem to be that big an issue, but i can see this being a problem on busy days.

After hole 7, the rest start to feel the same. The holes that open up into grass fields are nothing spectacular and the holes under palm canapies begin feeling repetative.

While 18 no longer exists, the replacement is 8b, and the park did a nice job seperating 8 from 8b, however 8b's tee pad is not concrete like the rest.

Hole 17 is just evil. A water hazard snakes through the course and is possible to lose a disk in it on nearly every throw. Luckily I didn't , but we did have to wait for the group in front of us to dig out the disc they lost (and found another in the process). I'm not from Florida and don't know if that stuff is suppose to smell like that or not, but it was horrid. Outside of tournement play, i think i'd skip it entirely.

Even tho the bathrooms were clean, the park was surprisingly dirty. I saw a lot of trash cans spread throughout the park but litter was everywhere. Not sure if this was because of the wind or not.
Other Thoughts: After playing at Youth Park DGC earlier in the day where all the locals were saying how great of a course Tocabaga is, i was so hyped to get there and play. Everything was great until I got lost finding hole 6. And my spirits were taken away from my round slightly. The park needs to do a better job marking the way from 4 to 5 to 6, or whatever the flow is supposed to be.

The locals also warned me i might lose a disc or two in the brush, but i didn't have a problem finding anything. Seemed like the park had recently trimmed the brush a bit. And there is enough foot paths through the heavy stuff from other players tracking through them.

I'm struggling to give this course a 3 rating, but i know my temper might have been detracting from the experience others have had. I try not to review a course unless i've played it twice, but since i don't think i'll be coming back to the area for a year or two, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Palm Trees make great obstacles!

1    12/22/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: ARock
Pros: Short palm trees make great obstacles for this gorgeous walk through the course. A nice mix of open and tight holes with creative course layout. I especially like #2 where you have to fly over some low lying brush and then land in a small area near the pin without flying over into the parking lot. For the most part, this course is pretty short (holes in the 300' range) but what makes it really interesting, and play longer than that, is the low lying canopy of palm trees. You have to keep your disc low to stay out of the trouble, so that adds distance that the distance markers don't do justice for. The 18th hole is a very interesting layout with a creek guarding both the front and the side of the basket with lots of trees in the fairway to cause problems. I played the short tees and really hope to get back there to play the big boy tees soon.
Cons: If you can throw a Roc straight for about 280-320', a few of the holes have the same exact feel. Parts of the course are poorly marked and we wandered around a bit trying to find teepads. Hole distances are only labeled for long tees, so when playing a short round, have to walk back to long tees to get distances.
Other Thoughts: Gorgeous scenery with the water visible (but out of play) on many holes. Would love to play this one again now that I better understand the course and where the OB's and mandos are. I think that would add another nice challenge that wasn't completely clearly the first time around.

Technical and Rewarding

5+    11/7/2009   11/19/2009
Review By: Greenleaf
Pros: Creative hole placement, beautiful scenery, plenty of obstacles, challenging course.
Cons: Local homeowners assoc. is trying to remove the park. Can be very crowded on weekends in other areas of the park with picnics, and cars parked on fairways.
Other Thoughts: My home course.

Beautiful, Technical, Challenging

1    8/9/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 4/29/2010
Pros: Absolutely beautiful park!!! Very clean and well maintained. Each hole is a unique challenge with a variety of shots needed to navigate the holes.

Concrete tee pads, good signage, benches at many tees. Brand New Chainstars that are awesome. Good flow and easy to navigate with markers to direct you to the next tee. Restrooms available near the parking lot/ hole #4.

The "Elite" course of Pinellas County. A most play if you're in the area
Cons: The teepads, although concrete, are just too short. If the course were a pitch and putt, they would be sufficient. But, a championship caliber course deserves teepads to accomidate the throws that are necessary to reach the holes. This was a very large con during my experience here. I just couldn't get my footwork right stepping up to short tees

Holes are well hidden which is fine, but the flora around holes tend to gobble up discs. You may find yourself scavenging for your disc longer than necessary, which is rather fustrating
Other Thoughts: I thourouhly enjoyed this course!! It was diffiicult on several holes, which is a huge plus.

Most the people we encountered there were very cool, so I assume the local scene is positive. I went out on a Saturday and hung out with the club members recently. Just a great group of people. Had a blast!!!!

If the teepads were longer I would give this course a 4 easily.

Best course in St. Pete

5+    7/14/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: jsardinas
Pros: Pretty technical and challenging. Very nice surroundings. I think its one of the best courses in the area. If you down visiting, this course is a must to play. Will challenge anyones game.
Cons: saturdays and sundays can be difficult to play holes 1-4 due to parties and bbq's at the nearby pavilions.
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 has been removed due to historical and ecological reasons. Hole 5's pro tee has been closed for same reasons. Hole 8 has been transformed into an 8 and 8b to maintain an 18 hole course. For more info on the removal of 18 see below link. very interesting.

killer park

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: Snowdog
Pros: This course has variety from hole to hole. Tons of fun every time ,beautiful scenery, very well marked, clean, picnic tables at most launch pads, not your average throw in a straight line course, but you can use a power drive to most baskets, great place to develop a forehand throw
Cons: heavy palmetto palms,but very well groomed, more foliage in the summer than winter, might want a spotter on just a few holes until u learn the first few holes, some of the holes can be tight but just a few.
Other Thoughts: very tropical, incredible view., the Bay, Sailboats ,and Marina ,hole 17, and 18 you play along side the bay, 18 ends up on the end of the bay for an amazing 18th hole experience. many places to view and sit to watch the bay and sunset at the end of the day after you are done with hole 18. Dont pass up the chance to play Tocobaga DGC

B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This

1    4/7/2004   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

5+    4/7/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: drewzer
Pros: lots of chances for birds. nice layout and design. well shaded and not as windy as you might think, considering the location.
challenging, yet fun!
Cons: heavy palmetto palms, and vines. use a spotter, if you can.
Other Thoughts: this is my favorite course to play in the Tampa Bay area.

Technical Tune-up

2-4    3/17/2009   3/17/2009
Review By: Jones
Pros: This course has variety from hole to hole. Tons of fun every time you play. I enjoy finding new lines and shots to play. This course is challenging but fair. Every time you leave, you go home thinking of technical shots to practice that typically don't come up on your average course.
Cons: Can be a little difficult to navigate the first time. Tee box's are concrete, but a little short.
Other Thoughts: Be prepared to walk into foliage when you play.

5+    2/18/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: Timebanditkid
This review was updated on 3/5/2009
Pros: Location is One of a Kind. People are friendly. Not an Easy course. Good signage. A real Challange, without all the water of others. A different game everytime.
Cons: Places that trap your disc, Jail. Lots of trees smack in the middle of your driving lines. Too few long holes. Public Park. People are cutting down the trees and vines.
Other Thoughts: I play here everyday, and still not bored! We have a great club, with lots of events. If you come here treat her nice and wear long socks!
This course is not for the weak at heart.