St. Petersburg, FL
Tocobaga DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #4 (Taken 9/2009)

Technical and Rewarding

5+    11/7/2009   11/19/2009
Review By: Greenleaf
Pros: Creative hole placement, beautiful scenery, plenty of obstacles, challenging course.
Cons: Local homeowners assoc. is trying to remove the park. Can be very crowded on weekends in other areas of the park with picnics, and cars parked on fairways.
Other Thoughts: My home course.

Beautiful, Technical, Challenging

1    8/9/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 4/29/2010
Pros: Absolutely beautiful park!!! Very clean and well maintained. Each hole is a unique challenge with a variety of shots needed to navigate the holes.

Concrete tee pads, good signage, benches at many tees. Brand New Chainstars that are awesome. Good flow and easy to navigate with markers to direct you to the next tee. Restrooms available near the parking lot/ hole #4.

The "Elite" course of Pinellas County. A most play if you're in the area
Cons: The teepads, although concrete, are just too short. If the course were a pitch and putt, they would be sufficient. But, a championship caliber course deserves teepads to accomidate the throws that are necessary to reach the holes. This was a very large con during my experience here. I just couldn't get my footwork right stepping up to short tees

Holes are well hidden which is fine, but the flora around holes tend to gobble up discs. You may find yourself scavenging for your disc longer than necessary, which is rather fustrating
Other Thoughts: I thourouhly enjoyed this course!! It was diffiicult on several holes, which is a huge plus.

Most the people we encountered there were very cool, so I assume the local scene is positive. I went out on a Saturday and hung out with the club members recently. Just a great group of people. Had a blast!!!!

If the teepads were longer I would give this course a 4 easily.

Best course in St. Pete

5+    7/14/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: jsardinas
Pros: Pretty technical and challenging. Very nice surroundings. I think its one of the best courses in the area. If you down visiting, this course is a must to play. Will challenge anyones game.
Cons: saturdays and sundays can be difficult to play holes 1-4 due to parties and bbq's at the nearby pavilions.
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 has been removed due to historical and ecological reasons. Hole 5's pro tee has been closed for same reasons. Hole 8 has been transformed into an 8 and 8b to maintain an 18 hole course. For more info on the removal of 18 see below link. very interesting.

killer park

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: Snowdog
Pros: This course has variety from hole to hole. Tons of fun every time ,beautiful scenery, very well marked, clean, picnic tables at most launch pads, not your average throw in a straight line course, but you can use a power drive to most baskets, great place to develop a forehand throw
Cons: heavy palmetto palms,but very well groomed, more foliage in the summer than winter, might want a spotter on just a few holes until u learn the first few holes, some of the holes can be tight but just a few.
Other Thoughts: very tropical, incredible view., the Bay, Sailboats ,and Marina ,hole 17, and 18 you play along side the bay, 18 ends up on the end of the bay for an amazing 18th hole experience. many places to view and sit to watch the bay and sunset at the end of the day after you are done with hole 18. Dont pass up the chance to play Tocobaga DGC

B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This

1    4/7/2004   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A

Maximo=Fun

5+    4/7/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: drewzer
Pros: lots of chances for birds. nice layout and design. well shaded and not as windy as you might think, considering the location.
challenging, yet fun!
Cons: heavy palmetto palms, and vines. use a spotter, if you can.
Other Thoughts: this is my favorite course to play in the Tampa Bay area.

Technical Tune-up

2-4    3/17/2009   3/17/2009
Review By: Jones
Pros: This course has variety from hole to hole. Tons of fun every time you play. I enjoy finding new lines and shots to play. This course is challenging but fair. Every time you leave, you go home thinking of technical shots to practice that typically don't come up on your average course.
Cons: Can be a little difficult to navigate the first time. Tee box's are concrete, but a little short.
Other Thoughts: Be prepared to walk into foliage when you play.

Maxatraz

5+    2/18/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: Timebanditkid
This review was updated on 3/5/2009
Pros: Location is One of a Kind. People are friendly. Not an Easy course. Good signage. A real Challange, without all the water of others. A different game everytime.
Cons: Places that trap your disc, Jail. Lots of trees smack in the middle of your driving lines. Too few long holes. Public Park. People are cutting down the trees and vines.
Other Thoughts: I play here everyday, and still not bored! We have a great club, with lots of events. If you come here treat her nice and wear long socks!
This course is not for the weak at heart.

Paradise with disc golf involved

1    1/18/2009   2/6/2009
Review By: JeffThroW
This review was updated on 3/5/2013
Pros: Like playing in a tropical paradise,Soft sand, warm ocean air,Lush vividly green flora,Some gnarly narrow lines fighting thru sawgrass,palmettos and palm trees make the course great.I didn't ever get one stuck in the palms but come on people how bad does that really sound anyway.
Cons: My overhands birdied the first three first time playing,most holes were not long.wasn't to challenging till hole fives Mando shot.I played here when the trees were in their winter phases so I can see how during other times of the year this course has the capability of swallowing discs into thick jungle.
Other Thoughts: Wished it had more holes that were extremely long where you could soak up the beauty even more playing disc golf in such a fascinating wonderland of Florida forest (Maximo Park).

Maximo Park!

5+    3/19/2008   1/16/2009
Review By: cocopop
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: This course has it all from long tight fairways, to 375 ft doglegs, to short technical "what the hell do I throw on this one" shots. The park is almost exclusively used by disc golfers so you don't have to constantly be looking for pedestrians, altho you should always look where you throw! This is one of the cleanest city parks in the area and the golfers are good about work days to keep it that way. The signage is well concieved and accurate (if it says 294 ft to the left, thats where to throw). This is my favorite local course next to Cliff Stevens (which is about an hour away from me). If you are in the area give it try.
Cons: Some of the foliage is a bit much especially on hole 1. I had a nice drive that landed 18 ft from the basket once, that I couldn't find for about 10 min!

Oh ya, I almost forgot, wear long pants or socks. Two reasons for this;
1) The "Saw Palmetto" will slice your legs to ribbons if you go stomping around in search of your lost disc.
2) Poison Ivy!! Last time I played here I got it so bad I had to go to the hospital. It was my own fault tho, I was trying to impress a girl, and well...I paid for it.
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 throws right out to the ocean and dogleggs along the beach. Easily one of my favorite holes in Florida.

NEW THOUGHTS!!
I JUST PLAYED IT AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ABOUT A YR AND I AM SORELY DISAPPIONTED!! THE ENTIRE COURSE UNDERWENT A DRASTIC CHANGE FOR THE WORSE!

FIRST, THE UP KEEP OF THE PARK HAS BEEN LAGGING OF LATE. THE ONCE WELL GROOMED FAIRWAYS ARE NOW OVERRUN BY SKULE AND LITTER.

SECOND, THE HOLE PLACEMENT UNDERWENT A DRASTIC CHANGE WITH NO REAL UNDERSTANDING OF WHERE THE BASKETS WERE RELOCATED TO, AND IN SOME CASES, SOME OF THE BASKETS ARE MOVED TO A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SPOT THAN IS DESCRIBED ON THE SIGNS WITH NO RYME OR REASON.

FINNALLY THIRD, THE SIGNATURE HOLE OF THE COURSE, THE 18TH, WAS REMOVED BECAUSE IT WAS ON AN OLD INDIAN BURRIAL GROUND?! THE WORST PART OF IT ALL IS THAT THERE ISN'T EVEN AN 18TH HOLE ON THE COURSE ANYMORE!! I RAN INTO SOME PEOPLE THAT PLAYED IT REGULARLY AND WAS TOLD THAT 2 NEW HOLES WERE ADDED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COURSE TO "MAKE UP FOR THE REMOVAL"! WHAT?!

THE FLOW OF THE COURSE IS NOW RUINED, NAVIGATION IS NOW JUST GUESS WORK, A FEW OF THE HOLES HAVE NO REAL MARKINGS, AND THE OVERALL FUN AND PLAYABILITY OF THE COURSE HAS BEEN LOST!

WITH ALL THIS IN MIND, I WILL NOT MAKE THE TRIP TO PLAY THIS COURSE FOR SOME TIME AND HOPE THAT IT CAN GET SOME ORDER AND CLEANLINESS BACK! UNTIL THEN I HAVE REDUCED MY RATING OF THIS COURSE FROM A SOLID 4, TO AN ABYSMAL....2.