St. Petersburg, FL
Tocobaga DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #14 (Taken 9/2009)

1 2 3 4 Next >
 B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This

1    4/7/2004   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A

Maximo=Fun

5+    4/7/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: drewzer
Pros: lots of chances for birds. nice layout and design. well shaded and not as windy as you might think, considering the location.
challenging, yet fun!
Cons: heavy palmetto palms, and vines. use a spotter, if you can.
Other Thoughts: this is my favorite course to play in the Tampa Bay area.

Technical Tune-up

2-4    3/17/2009   3/17/2009
Review By: Jones
Pros: This course has variety from hole to hole. Tons of fun every time you play. I enjoy finding new lines and shots to play. This course is challenging but fair. Every time you leave, you go home thinking of technical shots to practice that typically don't come up on your average course.
Cons: Can be a little difficult to navigate the first time. Tee box's are concrete, but a little short.
Other Thoughts: Be prepared to walk into foliage when you play.

Maxatraz

5+    2/18/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: Timebanditkid
This review was updated on 3/5/2009
Pros: Location is One of a Kind. People are friendly. Not an Easy course. Good signage. A real Challange, without all the water of others. A different game everytime.
Cons: Places that trap your disc, Jail. Lots of trees smack in the middle of your driving lines. Too few long holes. Public Park. People are cutting down the trees and vines.
Other Thoughts: I play here everyday, and still not bored! We have a great club, with lots of events. If you come here treat her nice and wear long socks!
This course is not for the weak at heart.

Paradise with disc golf involved

1    1/18/2009   2/6/2009
Review By: JeffThroW
This review was updated on 3/5/2013
Pros: Like playing in a tropical paradise,Soft sand, warm ocean air,Lush vividly green flora,Some gnarly narrow lines fighting thru sawgrass,palmettos and palm trees make the course great.I didn't ever get one stuck in the palms but come on people how bad does that really sound anyway.
Cons: My overhands birdied the first three first time playing,most holes were not long.wasn't to challenging till hole fives Mando shot.I played here when the trees were in their winter phases so I can see how during other times of the year this course has the capability of swallowing discs into thick jungle.
Other Thoughts: Wished it had more holes that were extremely long where you could soak up the beauty even more playing disc golf in such a fascinating wonderland of Florida forest (Maximo Park).

Maximo Park!

5+    3/19/2008   1/16/2009
Review By: cocopop
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: This course has it all from long tight fairways, to 375 ft doglegs, to short technical "what the hell do I throw on this one" shots. The park is almost exclusively used by disc golfers so you don't have to constantly be looking for pedestrians, altho you should always look where you throw! This is one of the cleanest city parks in the area and the golfers are good about work days to keep it that way. The signage is well concieved and accurate (if it says 294 ft to the left, thats where to throw). This is my favorite local course next to Cliff Stevens (which is about an hour away from me). If you are in the area give it try.
Cons: Some of the foliage is a bit much especially on hole 1. I had a nice drive that landed 18 ft from the basket once, that I couldn't find for about 10 min!

Oh ya, I almost forgot, wear long pants or socks. Two reasons for this;
1) The "Saw Palmetto" will slice your legs to ribbons if you go stomping around in search of your lost disc.
2) Poison Ivy!! Last time I played here I got it so bad I had to go to the hospital. It was my own fault tho, I was trying to impress a girl, and well...I paid for it.
Other Thoughts: Hole 18 throws right out to the ocean and dogleggs along the beach. Easily one of my favorite holes in Florida.

NEW THOUGHTS!!
I JUST PLAYED IT AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ABOUT A YR AND I AM SORELY DISAPPIONTED!! THE ENTIRE COURSE UNDERWENT A DRASTIC CHANGE FOR THE WORSE!

FIRST, THE UP KEEP OF THE PARK HAS BEEN LAGGING OF LATE. THE ONCE WELL GROOMED FAIRWAYS ARE NOW OVERRUN BY SKULE AND LITTER.

SECOND, THE HOLE PLACEMENT UNDERWENT A DRASTIC CHANGE WITH NO REAL UNDERSTANDING OF WHERE THE BASKETS WERE RELOCATED TO, AND IN SOME CASES, SOME OF THE BASKETS ARE MOVED TO A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SPOT THAN IS DESCRIBED ON THE SIGNS WITH NO RYME OR REASON.

FINNALLY THIRD, THE SIGNATURE HOLE OF THE COURSE, THE 18TH, WAS REMOVED BECAUSE IT WAS ON AN OLD INDIAN BURRIAL GROUND?! THE WORST PART OF IT ALL IS THAT THERE ISN'T EVEN AN 18TH HOLE ON THE COURSE ANYMORE!! I RAN INTO SOME PEOPLE THAT PLAYED IT REGULARLY AND WAS TOLD THAT 2 NEW HOLES WERE ADDED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COURSE TO "MAKE UP FOR THE REMOVAL"! WHAT?!

THE FLOW OF THE COURSE IS NOW RUINED, NAVIGATION IS NOW JUST GUESS WORK, A FEW OF THE HOLES HAVE NO REAL MARKINGS, AND THE OVERALL FUN AND PLAYABILITY OF THE COURSE HAS BEEN LOST!

WITH ALL THIS IN MIND, I WILL NOT MAKE THE TRIP TO PLAY THIS COURSE FOR SOME TIME AND HOPE THAT IT CAN GET SOME ORDER AND CLEANLINESS BACK! UNTIL THEN I HAVE REDUCED MY RATING OF THIS COURSE FROM A SOLID 4, TO AN ABYSMAL....2.

3/16/2008   3/26/2008
Review By: ebbs
Pros: tight and beautiful, course vegetation is what you would picture a fla. course to be
Cons: is possible to lose a disc or two and you must watch your shots closely off the tee
Other Thoughts: jaymon's write up is right on.
I found this course to be a terrific challenge but every hole is birdable.
The course requires shots to be right on with every hole possessing true lines. The plant life and course is truly "florida."
You will not lose discs in the water unless your throw is way off and only on 1 hole. If you like the tight woods courses' in the east, this course is for you. If you want to bomb it out go to Cliff Stephens and experience the lack of challenge in the fairway this course will give you. Cliff does offer a true long course to the area, but needing to throw on a line could be the mark of a good course to some. The locals here are excellent, course is well cared for, and many weekly's exist that if I had the time I definately would have made. Much more of a laid back true disc golf people feel then the crowds at other area courses. In my opinion, if you have only time for one round in this area northward, it is a no-brainer to come to this course.

Beautiful and Distinctive St. Pete Course

5+    5/25/2011   9/11/2007
Review By: jaymon1
This review was updated on 9/19/2012
Pros: Surroundings, varied challenges, decent length, Florida landscape.
Cons: Still easy to lose a disc or two here, reroutes make navigation tougher than it already was.
Other Thoughts: Set on the far southern tip of Pinellas County, with water on basically three sides, Tocabaga benefits from a great natural setting like the other Tampa Bay courses. Players may also suffer from the natural setting, however; on several holes, the thick underbrush and palmetto can eat all but the most perfect shots. As a result, Tocobaga is a unique but unforgiving disc golf course.

The first seven holes have been carved out of classic Florida thicket - salt bush and thick, thick undergrowth. While that may work ok on northern courses, it presents a bit of an onerous challenge here. Miss your shot by just a little and you may have to spend quite awhile searching for your disc - the term "rough" has a much more significant meaning here than at most other courses. And these holes are not straightfoward - there are narrow alleys of trees, hard left and right drives, and one good touch hole.

By hole #8 the course moves into sandy, less overgrown areas and becomes a bit more open. From here the holes get longer, a little more open but not without multiple challenges, the water is more in view (though not in play), and in general finding the next hole is less difficult. Then for the last two holes it returns to original form; the 17th hole is thick with salt bush and palm trees, and then the 18th hole is straightforward but is set among the trees and features a dark muddy bit of water (in wet times, or just a big mud bog in drier times) that's either right behind the basket or right in front of the basket, depending on the basket placement that day. This finish is one of the more interesting holes on this distinctive course, but one where mistakes are punished even more harshly.

In some ways this course has improved greatly since the first time I played it in 2002. Now that the course is well broken in, it's just as challenging as it ever was but it's harder to lose a disc. The course now has concrete tee pads for both pro and am, and has benches, trash cans, and poles to hang your bag on at many holes. These amenities are great. On the downside, some reworking of the layout due to archeological concerns has negatively affected the flow, and removed the signature hole. Finally, while the signage was top notch at one point, many of the carved wooden signs are now pretty faded and worn, and course reroutes and hole renumbering due to the aforementioned archeological issue have made wayfinding a challenge in a couple areas; this course was already a little tough for first timers to navigate.

Overall, some courses in the Sunshine State may be more highly rated, but I defy you to find one that is more definitively Florida, with its thick underbrush, myriad of palm trees, lush but unforgiving landscape, and waterfront setting. In my view, Tocobaga is a great disc golf experience; the setting is unparalleled and it's the kind of course that can really grow on you.

Favorite Hole - #18 (RIP) - It was a long shot out of trees to basket set just off a small beach at the tip of the pennisula. Water and islands all around.

1 2 3 4 Next >