Orlando, FL

Orlando Magic!

1    12/10/2010   12/19/2010
Review By: JSurmann
This review was updated on 8/8/2013
Pros: To start, there are multiple concrete tee pads on each hole, blues for the big guns, reds for the smaller arms and green for the beginner. Some holes have red and green together. The tee pads are huge. By far the biggest I have seen on a course and most widen as you go forward. No running off the edge of the pads here!

Baskets are in fair condition and a few have a bit of weathering but nothing that really detracts from their main objective of catching discs. I suppose in the humid Florida air, this is common.

A map is given to you at the gatehouse if you ask for one but really isn't a great one. Tee signs on the other hand are well designed and have distances for each tee on the sign. Direction arrows on the baskets point you in the general direction of the next tee.

Course was very well groomed, fairways were mulched where they needed to be and grass was kept to a reasonable height. The flow for 9 brings you back to where you started as well as 18. A lot of the "greens" were sand which meant for very few roll away shots. Don't try to count on many skip shots on this course.

Many trash cans and benches are placed around the course and it was free of litter. A very clean place to play. It also had restrooms and drinking fountains at the beginning.

Use of many shots were required to succeed here. Elevation, what little change there was, was used effectively. One in particular was a downhill anhyzer through trees which was a real challenge. Then the bombing hole where the blue was 800'+ and the red was 500'+ that had trees and shrubs strategically placed right after landing zones it seemed like made for a great long hole.. The palm trees ate a few of my discs but none were lost in the trees. Throwing over water on 16 should have been an easy hyzer but the cattails grabbed my disc into the muck.

This place is an animal lovers delight. From the horses and cows at the children's farm, to the many birds, to the wild tortoise (which was my favorite), to the geese and swans on the lake, this has it all.
Cons: I couldn't find the first tee. From the map I was given I couldn't even tell where to begin looking. This is a mixed use park so be aware of other walkers, children and the elderly as there is a motorhome park on site as well.
Other Thoughts: Camping on site and not crowded when I went on a Friday at noon. That really surprised me. Be sure to tell the people at the gatehouse you're there to play disc golf (they spell it "disk" golf on the signs) and they will give you a map and general directions. The locals there are very nice and let us play through when we caught up.

I will be certain to play the other Turkey course next time.

Watch where you step so you don't squash a tortoise!

Nice course...but slightly disappointed.

1    10/4/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Turkeynator is a lengthy course requiring challenging shots. Execution is crucial in order to score well. Hole variation is exceptional: both distance-wise and shape-wise.

The land is used exceptionally well. What elevation the land could provide is used adequately.

As with the othert course, the groundskeeping is immaculate. Fairways are clean and mowed. I did not see the first evidence of trash on the course.

Baskets and signs were all in excellent condition. The directional markers were a big help. This course had multiple tees on a lot of the holes which makes it fun for all skill levels. The shorter tees often had different angles making it a solid challenge as well.

I think the long hole needs to be mentioned. At a lot of courses I have played, there will be a random 800 feet long open hole so that people associated with the course can brag "We have a 800+ ft. hole". Most of these holes are long simply for the sake of being long. The long hole at this course was much different. You could easily see the desired landing zones and small bushes strategicall hindered certain shots. It was a well-designed long hole, and I haven't seen that very often.

Cons: As I mentioned in my review of the Original Course, the terrain was my biggest problem. This course was slightly worse because there are a few areas were smaller trees have been removed to create fairways. Many small stumps were left which make easy tripping hazards.

Some of the tee pads were cracked but, again, this is due to the type of terrain. The presence of sand interspersed with compacted dirt makes finding a solid foundation for the pads difficult.
Other Thoughts: The Turkeynator is a solid, challenging course.
Strangely, I scored the exact same on this course as the other course which was not very challenging. I just happened to get on a roll on this course.

While the course is a nice course, I feel as if its overall grade is a little inflated. It is supposed to be one of the top 5 in Florida. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. I am not associated with any club or certain course. I have played many courses throughout the region. There are 3 courses within 20 minutes of my home that I consider better than this course. I think Turkeynator qualifies as an "excellent" course, but anything above that is a stretch. I was a little disappointed, but my expectations may have been to high as well.

In short, the Turkeynator is an excllent course having a good mix of challenge and fun. But in my opinion, you may want to temper your expectations before putting it on your "wish list".

Fun in the Sun

5+    3/16/2010   7/18/2010
Review By: Dave_Townsend
Pros: Great terrain, well maintained. Gregg did a great job with this one!!
Cons: The only con I have about this course is one of the plam trees ate my Roc!! Hahahaha
Other Thoughts: If you're in the Orlando vicinity this is a MUST play course. If you're lucky enough you will run into the designer Gregg Hosfeld, and get to hear some GREAT jokes from him and play a round with a World Champ!

Long, tough course

1    6/2/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Very challenging

Great length's. Nice long course

Diverse angles. Not just right and left. The ceiling came into play on many holes.

Multiple concrete pads
Cons: A bit difficult to navigate
Other Thoughts: This course caught me off guard. It was unlike the other courses I had played in many different ways. Obviously, being from the mid-west, I was not used to the blaring heat and humidity. Throw in the sand, fire ants and roaming wild tortoise's and I felt a bit out of place. I can tell you this...I loved every minute of it!

This course is challenging but not frustrating. There are multiple pads so you can shorten the course if you are lacking time or patience. Many of the holes clearly call for strategic first and second shots. I love courses that check your willingness to play controlled golf. Even still, I used distance drivers off of many tee's. I recommend relatively under-stable/controllable distance drivers if you do so.

There are no true wide open shots...although many of the shots from pad give you room to huck it.

There are, however, a few truly tight holes.

That is what I love about this course. It's very diverse. I needed every disc in my bag. There were bomber holes, but also some deuce opportunities and ace runs as well.

Most of the "cake holes" came in the back nine. There is a stretch of a few holes in the back that basically kept this course from being truly exceptional. They were pitch and put style holes...but I assure you, there were only a few. Hole 16 was my favorite hole on the course. It was a water shot over what seemed like 300 feet of lake. Making the shot 300 feet wasn't my main concern...it was not getting knocked down by the many trees that lined the shore. Your shot had to land low or right on target. That's disc golf baby!

I wish I would have had time to play the Original Course here a Turkey Lake. I 'm sure I will be back in Orlando to play it within the next couple years.

Tough but enjoyable course.

2-4    6/16/2010   6/17/2010
Review By: pastorfrf
Pros: Love the scenery and layout. Yeah, you hike a bit between holes but its nice and it gives you time to talk to your competitors.
Cons: None...really. As a beginner...I love the tough parts of this course.
Other Thoughts: The other amenites are nice...the front office has a nice selection of discs and bags, bathrooms readily available and my kids loved the play ground...they even rent cabins for like $35 a night.

A Beginner's Point of view

1    4/4/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: The course is challenging. Elevations are different. The terrian is varied. The course demanded multiple fashions of play. The signs clearly described what was needed. There were bathrooms, benches, place to eat and rest. The scenery changed and was not boring. In all, this is the best place to play a wonderful game of Disc Golf.
Cons: Have nothing negative to say about this place. Had to pay to get in, but it was worth it. I'll return many times in the future.
Other Thoughts: I have just started playing Disc Golf with my family. It's a great pass time. We love the game, and we love This PARK. We've been to Barnet (Good Course to play), Daytona, Debary, and I played at Morley Field in the past when I was in the Navy. And I have to say, By far, this Park is the best in Central Florida to play.

1,200 footer...

1    3/22/2010   3/22/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: A 1,200+ foot hole, what else needs be said? Quite a bit of elevation changes from hole to hole, which is a bit of a rarity in largely flat everywhere Florida. This is former disc golf world champion Greg Hosfeld's home course[s]; so stop in and get some hands on training from one of the master's of the sport!
Cons: I kept wondering if there were any alligator's in this 'Turkey' lake.

Better Bill Frederick Course

1    1/10/2010   1/12/2010
Pros: 1) Very nice tee signs. They list hole #, Par, distance and give a hole layout including desired fairway lines.

2) Multiple aids for navigation. I give them an A for effort, but will mention some negatives down below int he cons. Next T signs including #'s on the sign because some of the walks overlap with other walks.

3) DGA baskets with number plates facing the tees. This is always worth a positive mention because they are so often not directed towards the tee.

4) This course has more challenge from start to finish than the original Turkey Lake course. There are tight wooded holes, there are some tough gaps to hit to get close for birdie, there is a forced water carry of about 180' but also a way to bailout left if you dont have a big enough arm or trust yourself to clear the water. The edge of the water was protected by trees too the whole line up.

5) Risk/Reward was used very well on this course. Multiple holes required you to make a good first shot in order to have a clear second shot. Sometimes throwing less disc to the right spot is smarter than trying to thread the needle all the way up the fairway. Hole #16 with the water is the ultimate risk/reward because you could throw all the way to the basket across the water but if the wind picks up, you hit a tree, or just let go a little to early and loose some spin you will very easily end up in the water.

6) There is some elevation change on a few holes on this course. It is a nice addition to an already well designed course.

7) This course has a nice variety in hole distances ranging from the short 200's and up to 876 fromt he blue tees. There are a couple 400's and a 500' too. The 876 is not a straight out wide open hole either. It has lots of trees and pockets of trees in your way.

8) Course is pretty beginner friendly. There is more challenge on this course for the beginner unless they play the handful of Green Tees.

9) Course has 2 tees on most holes, but some have shorter amatuer(novice) tees where major trouble comes into play, and it also has a couple gold tees. The gold tees do not make either hole much more difficult except for the added distance. You still have to hit the same gaps.

10) I enjoyed seeing multiple turtle holes on this sandy course. There was even one out of its hole after I putted out on Hole #5.

11) This course has better variety than the original course because of more elevation changes, more tree density on some holes and it still includes a water shot.
Cons: 1) This course could use some cleanup. There are way more areas on this course than the other where there are piles of sticks and brush. I am not sure how long they have been sitting there, but it looks to me like there is plenty of maintenance done in this park, picking the piles up wouldnt take long but would really help improve the aesthetics and playability.

2) Hole #1 and #2 seemed to have been changed very recently. Hole #1 had virtually just been bushogged but no real cleanup had been done. The fairway was rutted and the shavings from all of the trees/scrub were laying in the fairway as if it was intended to be mulch. I would prefer to see that loose material removed and mulch brough in. You wouldn't need much but it would help the footing and stability of this fairway.

3) Some of the fairway definition is not as good as I would like to see, especially because some of the baskets are hidden fairly well. Hole #5 at 876' was very unclear, there were pockets of trees and scrub, and openings in the fairway but not the whole length of the fairway, so unless you are really searching for the basket you likely won't see it until you get within 200' of the basket. This is a big negative because you have to throw a few times blindly without knowing where the basket is.

4) This course is way more disjointed from the other on the property. There are about 5 or 6 sections of this park that the course goes through. You will have long walks, walks across and down paths, and plenty of places to miss the next hole.

5) Next tee signage is present, however it also can be confusing because there are multiple ways that they tell you where to go. There are little arrows under some of the baskets, there are next tee signs posted on multiple posts and other signs.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course immediately following the original Turkey Lake course. I played them back to back and in about 2 1/4 hours. I never ran up on anyone which was nice so I was able to go at my own pace the whole day. This was the better designed course and it challenged a little bit more than the original course. It also has a fair amount of risk/reward. It doesn't live up to Ocala Greenway but it is prety close. I think it could be rated as high as 4.5 if it made some repairs and did a little more maintenance. The diversity and variety of holes allow it to be close.

Worth every penny---and then some

1    1/15/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: The newer of 2 courses in a great park. You have to pay to get in, but it's gated, which limits the number of people. Park has plenty of amenities and is on a beautiful lake.

This course is much more challenging than the original, with some very creative holes. This includes some long holes with placement areas and lots of fairway management involved. It is mostly in a less-developed park of the park, with more natural Florida terrain, and less contact with non-golfers.

I'd rate the course alone only 4.0, but it's paired with the original course in the same park. Both have front-9 and back-9 loops to the same parking lot, so you can mix-&-match any of the 4 loops, or play all 36!

Navigation was very easy, without a map.
Cons: The park closes early, before dark, and they mean it.
Other Thoughts: A fine course and park on its own, but if you're vacationing in Orlando and need relief from the hectic tourism, it's fantastic. Great holes, plus peace & quiet.

A Rare, Raw Treat

2-4    6/20/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 6/25/2010
Pros: REALLY UNIQUE!! Completely natural, Floridian terrain! Set in a nature reserve.

Very challenging. Unique lay-out with doglegs (has 3 4's and a 5). Mostly tight shots, with a few rips (on the 4's and 5). Very well shaded to beat the heat. Holes are really clean and seem to be static, but 3 Tee placements on most holes add different shots/ challenge at each

Restrooms/ trashcans throughout. At the gate they have some discs. Real good signage with accurate info. Never crowded and seems to be disc golf exclusive. Park is kept very clean, and we should always do our best to help keep it that way

Another 18 hole course is set up here as well!!!
Cons: Teepads are mostly carpet, but it seems they are trying to get in some nice, long concrete units in. With the teepads installed, I would rate this course a 4.5 easily

The flow sucks!! There were a few hikes between holes, although the scenery didn't suck(I play cuz I like to walk too). You need a local to really get through it, although GPS and the course map will do... ;) Only a few elevation changes

You gotta pay $2 to park there. Not really a con in my book. Park closes early at times and you gotta beat feet to get out before getting locked in
Other Thoughts: Just a totally different experience that I am used to in the park courses. Gives you a real sense of the natural enviroment in Florida. There is a freakin' Tortoise Preserve on the course!! Amazing bird watching (I saw Cardinals, Blue Jays, Herons, Egrets, and various raptors)

Favorite Hole, #16. Surprise, it is a water hole!!! 270+' right to left. Easy hyzer for a righty, sweet for me to show my Anhyzer skills. HIGH RISK, HIGH REWARD, just like I like it...I love water!!