Orlando, FL
Bill Frederick Park - T2: The Turkeynator Share
Uploaded By: 405Frolfer Hole #2 (Taken 2/2014)
4 / 210ft.   4 / 210ft.   3 / 300ft.   3 / 375ft. Par / Distance:

Long, tough course

1    6/2/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Very challenging

Great length's. Nice long course

Diverse angles. Not just right and left. The ceiling came into play on many holes.

Multiple concrete pads
Cons: A bit difficult to navigate
Other Thoughts: This course caught me off guard. It was unlike the other courses I had played in many different ways. Obviously, being from the mid-west, I was not used to the blaring heat and humidity. Throw in the sand, fire ants and roaming wild tortoise's and I felt a bit out of place. I can tell you this...I loved every minute of it!

This course is challenging but not frustrating. There are multiple pads so you can shorten the course if you are lacking time or patience. Many of the holes clearly call for strategic first and second shots. I love courses that check your willingness to play controlled golf. Even still, I used distance drivers off of many tee's. I recommend relatively under-stable/controllable distance drivers if you do so.

There are no true wide open shots...although many of the shots from pad give you room to huck it.

There are, however, a few truly tight holes.

That is what I love about this course. It's very diverse. I needed every disc in my bag. There were bomber holes, but also some deuce opportunities and ace runs as well.

Most of the "cake holes" came in the back nine. There is a stretch of a few holes in the back that basically kept this course from being truly exceptional. They were pitch and put style holes...but I assure you, there were only a few. Hole 16 was my favorite hole on the course. It was a water shot over what seemed like 300 feet of lake. Making the shot 300 feet wasn't my main concern...it was not getting knocked down by the many trees that lined the shore. Your shot had to land low or right on target. That's disc golf baby!

I wish I would have had time to play the Original Course here a Turkey Lake. I 'm sure I will be back in Orlando to play it within the next couple years.

Tough but enjoyable course.

2-4    6/16/2010   6/17/2010
Review By: pastorfrf
Pros: Love the scenery and layout. Yeah, you hike a bit between holes but its nice and it gives you time to talk to your competitors.
Cons: None...really. As a beginner...I love the tough parts of this course.
Other Thoughts: The other amenites are nice...the front office has a nice selection of discs and bags, bathrooms readily available and my kids loved the play ground...they even rent cabins for like $35 a night.

A Beginner's Point of view

1    4/4/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: The course is challenging. Elevations are different. The terrian is varied. The course demanded multiple fashions of play. The signs clearly described what was needed. There were bathrooms, benches, place to eat and rest. The scenery changed and was not boring. In all, this is the best place to play a wonderful game of Disc Golf.
Cons: Have nothing negative to say about this place. Had to pay to get in, but it was worth it. I'll return many times in the future.
Other Thoughts: I have just started playing Disc Golf with my family. It's a great pass time. We love the game, and we love This PARK. We've been to Barnet (Good Course to play), Daytona, Debary, and I played at Morley Field in the past when I was in the Navy. And I have to say, By far, this Park is the best in Central Florida to play.

1,200 footer...

1    3/22/2010   3/22/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: A 1,200+ foot hole, what else needs be said? Quite a bit of elevation changes from hole to hole, which is a bit of a rarity in largely flat everywhere Florida. This is former disc golf world champion Greg Hosfeld's home course[s]; so stop in and get some hands on training from one of the master's of the sport!
Cons: I kept wondering if there were any alligator's in this 'Turkey' lake.

Better Bill Frederick Course

1    1/10/2010   1/12/2010
Pros: 1) Very nice tee signs. They list hole #, Par, distance and give a hole layout including desired fairway lines.

2) Multiple aids for navigation. I give them an A for effort, but will mention some negatives down below int he cons. Next T signs including #'s on the sign because some of the walks overlap with other walks.

3) DGA baskets with number plates facing the tees. This is always worth a positive mention because they are so often not directed towards the tee.

4) This course has more challenge from start to finish than the original Turkey Lake course. There are tight wooded holes, there are some tough gaps to hit to get close for birdie, there is a forced water carry of about 180' but also a way to bailout left if you dont have a big enough arm or trust yourself to clear the water. The edge of the water was protected by trees too the whole line up.

5) Risk/Reward was used very well on this course. Multiple holes required you to make a good first shot in order to have a clear second shot. Sometimes throwing less disc to the right spot is smarter than trying to thread the needle all the way up the fairway. Hole #16 with the water is the ultimate risk/reward because you could throw all the way to the basket across the water but if the wind picks up, you hit a tree, or just let go a little to early and loose some spin you will very easily end up in the water.

6) There is some elevation change on a few holes on this course. It is a nice addition to an already well designed course.

7) This course has a nice variety in hole distances ranging from the short 200's and up to 876 fromt he blue tees. There are a couple 400's and a 500' too. The 876 is not a straight out wide open hole either. It has lots of trees and pockets of trees in your way.

8) Course is pretty beginner friendly. There is more challenge on this course for the beginner unless they play the handful of Green Tees.

9) Course has 2 tees on most holes, but some have shorter amatuer(novice) tees where major trouble comes into play, and it also has a couple gold tees. The gold tees do not make either hole much more difficult except for the added distance. You still have to hit the same gaps.

10) I enjoyed seeing multiple turtle holes on this sandy course. There was even one out of its hole after I putted out on Hole #5.

11) This course has better variety than the original course because of more elevation changes, more tree density on some holes and it still includes a water shot.
Cons: 1) This course could use some cleanup. There are way more areas on this course than the other where there are piles of sticks and brush. I am not sure how long they have been sitting there, but it looks to me like there is plenty of maintenance done in this park, picking the piles up wouldnt take long but would really help improve the aesthetics and playability.

2) Hole #1 and #2 seemed to have been changed very recently. Hole #1 had virtually just been bushogged but no real cleanup had been done. The fairway was rutted and the shavings from all of the trees/scrub were laying in the fairway as if it was intended to be mulch. I would prefer to see that loose material removed and mulch brough in. You wouldn't need much but it would help the footing and stability of this fairway.

3) Some of the fairway definition is not as good as I would like to see, especially because some of the baskets are hidden fairly well. Hole #5 at 876' was very unclear, there were pockets of trees and scrub, and openings in the fairway but not the whole length of the fairway, so unless you are really searching for the basket you likely won't see it until you get within 200' of the basket. This is a big negative because you have to throw a few times blindly without knowing where the basket is.

4) This course is way more disjointed from the other on the property. There are about 5 or 6 sections of this park that the course goes through. You will have long walks, walks across and down paths, and plenty of places to miss the next hole.

5) Next tee signage is present, however it also can be confusing because there are multiple ways that they tell you where to go. There are little arrows under some of the baskets, there are next tee signs posted on multiple posts and other signs.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course immediately following the original Turkey Lake course. I played them back to back and in about 2 1/4 hours. I never ran up on anyone which was nice so I was able to go at my own pace the whole day. This was the better designed course and it challenged a little bit more than the original course. It also has a fair amount of risk/reward. It doesn't live up to Ocala Greenway but it is prety close. I think it could be rated as high as 4.5 if it made some repairs and did a little more maintenance. The diversity and variety of holes allow it to be close.

Worth every penny---and then some

1    1/15/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: The newer of 2 courses in a great park. You have to pay to get in, but it's gated, which limits the number of people. Park has plenty of amenities and is on a beautiful lake.

This course is much more challenging than the original, with some very creative holes. This includes some long holes with placement areas and lots of fairway management involved. It is mostly in a less-developed park of the park, with more natural Florida terrain, and less contact with non-golfers.

I'd rate the course alone only 4.0, but it's paired with the original course in the same park. Both have front-9 and back-9 loops to the same parking lot, so you can mix-&-match any of the 4 loops, or play all 36!

Navigation was very easy, without a map.
Cons: The park closes early, before dark, and they mean it.
Other Thoughts: A fine course and park on its own, but if you're vacationing in Orlando and need relief from the hectic tourism, it's fantastic. Great holes, plus peace & quiet.

A Rare, Raw Treat

2-4    6/20/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 6/25/2010
Pros: REALLY UNIQUE!! Completely natural, Floridian terrain! Set in a nature reserve.

Very challenging. Unique lay-out with doglegs (has 3 4's and a 5). Mostly tight shots, with a few rips (on the 4's and 5). Very well shaded to beat the heat. Holes are really clean and seem to be static, but 3 Tee placements on most holes add different shots/ challenge at each

Restrooms/ trashcans throughout. At the gate they have some discs. Real good signage with accurate info. Never crowded and seems to be disc golf exclusive. Park is kept very clean, and we should always do our best to help keep it that way

Another 18 hole course is set up here as well!!!
Cons: Teepads are mostly carpet, but it seems they are trying to get in some nice, long concrete units in. With the teepads installed, I would rate this course a 4.5 easily

The flow sucks!! There were a few hikes between holes, although the scenery didn't suck(I play cuz I like to walk too). You need a local to really get through it, although GPS and the course map will do... ;) Only a few elevation changes

You gotta pay $2 to park there. Not really a con in my book. Park closes early at times and you gotta beat feet to get out before getting locked in
Other Thoughts: Just a totally different experience that I am used to in the park courses. Gives you a real sense of the natural enviroment in Florida. There is a freakin' Tortoise Preserve on the course!! Amazing bird watching (I saw Cardinals, Blue Jays, Herons, Egrets, and various raptors)

Favorite Hole, #16. Surprise, it is a water hole!!! 270+' right to left. Easy hyzer for a righty, sweet for me to show my Anhyzer skills. HIGH RISK, HIGH REWARD, just like I like it...I love water!!

love it

2-4    3/22/2009   3/23/2009
Review By: DarrenFL
Pros: My favorite course!! 3 different tees at each hole for the different player skill. very challenging!! only an hour drive for me. next to all theme parks also if you happen to be there and want to play some awesome disc golf!
Cons: red tee on the water hole really needs to have the grass cut in front of it. It is impossible to throw low and on a windy day it is a little tough to get it to go where u want it to on that hole.
Other Thoughts: Favorite course!!

Good stuff

1    2/7/2009   2/7/2009
Review By: johnt1969
Pros: I've never been a huge fan of Florida courses but this course was thoroughly enjoyable.

For such a pancake flat state, the Turkeynator has a surprising amount of elevation change. Now... for all you northerners, don't read in to this that there are real hills all over the place. It's not like that. But there are plenty of holes with 10-20 feet of elevation change.

The tees and pins are all in very good condition. There are multiple tee pads for almost every hole and there is even a second set of pins that they are trying out right now.

The course is very well marked. We had a map with us that was given to us at the front gate but we never had to pull it out to find our way. There is very good flow, excellent tee signs for each set of tees on every hole and good signage between the holes that points you in the correct direction for the next hole. I also likes the nice hangers for your disc bag that are on almost every tee.

The general condition of the park is very good. There are restrooms at the beginning of the course. There are also plenty of trash cans throughout the course. I did not see any trash on the course which speaks volumes for the respect of the locals and the parks department.

The course plays tough from the short tees but not so tough that you can not bring a beginner. Decent pros will be shooting under par from the short tees but will probably card a bogey or two during the round. It's not a gimme course from the shorts. On the other hand, the long tees are very difficult.

The design of the course is solid and challenges the player to make good shots. You can't just chuck it and walk. There are low lines, high lines and even opportunities for rollers.

There is a nice lake that comes in to play on one hole and I would call it the signature hole for myself. It's a beautiful shot that probably requires close to a 330 ft (guessing) carry over the water from the long tee.
Cons: It's hard to find cons with this course that are not a bit nit picky but I'll nit pick a little bit.

The ground all over the course is typical of Florida. It's very sandy.

The course is in a multi use park and there are some walking paths and picnic tables that could come in to play if you have bad shots. The design is very solid and minimizes this risk but you should definitely watch for other park patrons just in case.

There are a few of the long tee pads that are not concrete. They are a carpet type of tee pad. These aren't my favorite thing but they work pretty well. Other than those couple little things I can't remember anything that bugged me.

Oh wait... fire ants. Watch for those.
Other Thoughts: I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this course. If you're in the area you should definitely give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

The place to play in O-Town

1    10/8/2006   5/8/2008
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 5/4/2011
Pros: One of the best courses in Florida. Requires real golf course management. Hitting lines, shaping shots, and placing the disc to set up second shots take a higher priority than pure crush.

Mulitple sets of tees appeal to a wide-variety of skill sets.

Some of the best holes you'll find anywhere.

Although initially rough with heavy schule, this course is rapidly becoming a beautiful gem.

Course pro and former world champ Gregg Hosfeld is very accesible and friendly for beginners and out-of-town visitors.

The park is beautiful and camping is available. No safety concerns, unlike Barnett Park.

Home to the new Orlando Area Disc Golf Club.
Cons: The ground is quite sandy throughout much of this course. The forced carry over the water on hole 16 is a bit much for some players.

The park closes fairly early in the evening.
Other Thoughts: Don't be a dirty discer. Leave the course cleaner than you found it!