Orlando, FL
Bill Frederick Park - T2: The Turkeynator Share
Uploaded By: 405Frolfer Hole #14 (Taken 2/2014)
4 / 284ft.   4 / 284ft.   3 / 350ft.   3 / 350ft. Par / Distance:

The Yang of the Bill Frederick Courses

1    12/28/2012   1/13/2013
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 6/13/2013
Pros: -Very Scenic and well maintained State Park ($2 per person/$4 per car to enter) Ask for a Map when you pay.

-This course is a lot more challenging than the original course.

-Course has a rolling terrain that plays near a very scenic lake *This is relative to where you are coming from. Most of the coastal Florida courses are Flat, so someone from Tampa would call this terrain Rolling. Someone from Tennessee would probably consider this flat.

-Nice restrooms at the start. Look for the big building on the right as you approach the teeing area in the parking lot.

-Garbage cans and disc golf signs through out the park

-Close to Universal Studios, but Disney is a little bit of a drive. (In case you are vacationing)

-Colored (Blue, Red & Green) Concrete Tee's to address the multiple Tee locations, Tee signs with Maps & Distance.

-The original Turkey Lake Course and the T2 course start back to back.

-Narrow fairway shots, more use of the trees, terrain and canopies, also has a water carry.

-Fewer lines to choose from, but more finesse is require when it comes to shot shaping here.

-Fair mix of right/left handed shots. Turnover shots, and straight forward long distance shots. Some shots will require you to set up a second shot.

-The blue tees are more pro, while the reds are for the standard player. I wouldn't call this a beginner friendly course, but the green tees do cater to those with underdeveloped arms. Perhaps those wanting to take a swing at it after playing T1.

FWIW

-You are going to see some roped off areas for Gopher Tortoises! Very Cool!

-There are a ton of activities here! If you have a spouse, friend or family member that is wants to watch your kids, then there are a bunch of activities they could do while you get to play a couple rounds here. From Playgrounds to a Farm, there is plenty to do here.

-Camping and Cabin rentals on site as well.
Cons: -Though there are signs, sometimes it's easy to get turned around. Which leads to my next points…

-The course flow is broken between 3 & 4 and 7&8. You'll want to pay attention to where you are going. I walked the wrong way to get to 4, and ended up finding 4's basket before I found the tee.

- I also got turned around looking for 8. It wasn't listed on the park's map. It's listed, but there is no number and I wandered around a bit looking for it. It is, however, listed on the map on this site, you may want to check it for reference if you can.

-9 is a stretch from the parking lot, it's close but not convenient. It is also a long walk to the parking lot from 18. (These are really small things, and it is what it is. After playing two courses, you tend to notice it)

-You have to play along a fenced in area of an RV Campground. It may be a pain to have to retrieve your disc if it goes over.

-There is a walking trails that run throughout the course. You'll want to look before you through!
Other Thoughts: T2 definitely exceeded my expectations! When you can honestly say you had a great time while getting frustrated, then the course has done its job. This course is definitely the Yang of the two courses. It's challenging, but not obnoxious. It requires more specific lines and will push you to be more controlled. You'll work around trees and bushes, as well as fence lines. Add in a few terrain changes, and the challenge becomes more demanding. All that and a 350ft water carry (from the blues) at 16. (240ft from the reds) The layout is definitely well thought out and specific. It's definitely worth your time to stop and play if you are in the area. Just set aside some time so you can take it all in.

These two courses are well worth the cost of admission. I played both courses in about 3.5 hours. This one took me about an hour and a half, playing solo. If you are going to play both, then I would recommend playing the original course first. It'll help get your arm loosened up. I didn't see any gas stations in the immediate vicinity, but it is Orlando. There are plenty of restaurants within a few miles. Any type of shoes and shorts will be fine here. You may have to fight with some thorny weeds on the fringes, but overall you should be fine.

T1’s Bigger, Better Brother

1    3/14/2012   4/30/2012
Review By: solomon.trenton
Pros: I feel this course had more to offer and was designed by one of Florida's best designers. Elevation change is much more apparent here than on T1. There is a really good amount of woods that come into play but you also have a good amount of open holes. You also can't forget the tricky water shot. There is a good amount of ace runs from the intermediate tees and long bombs from the longs. All three sets of tees (when there aren't just two)have great signs and pads. The longs have cement tees and the reds are dyed red; although a little narrow they do the trick. The baskets catch well! The course itself might not be overly challenging but there are defiantly some hard holes and challenging shots. The navigation is pretty easy, we only had an issue once or twice when we had to double back. Next hole signs are on almost every hole and pretty easy to follow.
There is an RV Park and lake with a fishing dock on it. There are bathrooms on site, a function hall, picnic tables and a water fountain. There is of course all of the other things that the park has to offer including horse riding. Not too shabby.
There are also Gopher Tortoise's and their protected dens throughout the course.
Cons: There are a million ant hills! There are a few spots where it is easy to get turned around your first time to the course. Hole 18's tee sign says 13 and it turned me around for a minute. The basket is extremely close to the edge of the water on hole 16 and with any flooding it would be easy to lose your disc. The bathroom isn't very clean.
Other Thoughts: Very few cons here. I had a great time the day before I left for Haiti. I will defiantly be coming back.

Tunnel Shots!

1    2/19/2012   2/20/2012
Review By: Valet
Pros: I'm not from the Orlando area and am/was in the area for the week so I decided to check out a course. I ended up at The Turkeynator II, partly because of the name, but mostly because of the good ratings/reviews that it has received. I found the course to be in great shape. The locals that I spoke with were pleasant and helpful. I played the red tees. The tee signs were great and made the course easy to navigate. The tee pads were color coated and made it easy to find which one was "red". The baskets were logically placed and there were not any "gimmes". This course forced me to keep all of my shots down. It seemed like every shot was a tunnel shot, which I welcomed. That made it very challenging. Water came into play on one hole and I would call this the signature hole of the course. Precision is a must on this course. Parking was right there at the tee for hole 1 and basket for 18. Restrooms were available there as well. Park was well maintained and used by a lot of people although the disc golf course rarely came close to people using the park for other reasons.
Cons: A couple of the baskets could have used a bit of help. Hole 17 was a bit difficult to find the tee pad. The course was very flat. I know there isn't much that you can do w/ this when designing a course, but thought I'd point that out.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course to anyone who is in the area. I think the designer used the land and vegitation very well. While it isn't extremely difficult, it will test your accuracy off the tee, particularly your ability to keep your drives down. Enjoy!

Incredible

1    1/12/2012   1/14/2012
Review By: sdervan
Pros: Amazing layout
Multiple tees
Calls for every shot in your bag and probably a few that you don't have.
Fun and winding-great use of land and water.
It is the cleanest course I have ever played.
Manicured by park staff.
Great baskets
Steps up and down when required
Cons: None that I could see
Other Thoughts: I love this course and no I'm not a local. It was beautiful and the terrain made it that much nicer. If you drive even close by-stop in and bring a friend.

Worth the Trip

1    10/28/2011   12/15/2011
Review By: ManU
Pros: This course is very well signed both on the tee pads and on the way between holes. The tape on the basket pointing to the next hole is very helpful. There are plenty of benches and places to hang your bag.
There are washrooms and a water fountain at the parking lot.
The course flows well and has a good mix of longer and shorter holes. The plant life makes the course challenging and you do have to hit lines and landing zones or you will be punished. If you get off the fairway you will be punished. When I say punished I mean that you will be adding a stroke and in some places perhaps 2.

This is not a pitch and putt type course.

It was nice to see the endangered tortoises.
Cons: Like others have said there really aren't any cons to this course.
We were there in a weekday afternoon and virtually had the entire place to ourselves...this may be a con if you are on your own and wanted to tag along with people.
Other Thoughts: Go as a car full of people rather than individually. I can't quite remember now but I think it was $4 for the car full of us (4) but if we had shown up individually it would have been $2 per person.
When I went to Florida I was looking forward to playing Cliff Stephens in Clearwater. T2 is so much more course.
I really wish I had been able to play it more than just the once. I would really like to come back and play here again.

2-4    10/23/2011   11/5/2011
Review By: jeffreyjeanshorts
Pros: Florida weather is hard to beat. Well mantained course.
Cons: Pay to play. The money is put to good use as seen in quality of park and facilities.
Other Thoughts: Played for first time in orlando open. Great time! Join orlando disc golf club.

Turkey with Gravy

1    6/29/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Bill Frederick Park: T2-The Turkeynator isn't hard to find. There are signs on the interstate and all over the area pointing you to its location. Once in the park, there is plenty of signage to direct you to the disc golf courses. The park and lake serve as a beautiful setting for disc golf.

The course features a lot of variety with regard to fairway layout, shapes/doglegs, and hole lengths. The course is fairly tree lined, but there are still penty of open holes and a good mix of both open and wooded holes with different playing surfaces, including grass, leaves, dirt, wood chips, and sand. Water is factored into the course design and is especially prevelant on hole #16 where you have a 200' or 300' (depending on the tee) drive across Turkey lake to a fast green...risk vs. reward indeed.

Multiple tees are present on every hole and offer a different playing experience from each position. Most of the tees are concrete and painted or stained their associated color and are in great shape. The baskets at the course are in good condition.

The tee signs are professional and do a great job of depicting the fairway shape, par, and each tee. Additionaly, the baskets include different colored electrical tape to point to the tee of the accompanying color. Even if that wasn't enough, there are direction and other navigational signs to get you to the next tee.

Another conveinence at this park is the restroom, located next to the parking area near holes #1 and #10.
Cons: While playing any course located in a multi-use park, caution must be exercised. On a few holes, the fairways played close to other public areas and is a hair too dangerous for my liking.

Despite the variety of fairway shapes, there is little variation in elevation.

A few of the holes play fairly close to a fenced in RV park. A shaked throw could easily end up over the fence and may be difficult to retrieve.

A few longer walks from basket to the next tee are required, but nothing terribly long or terribly inconvenient.
Other Thoughts: Being a bit longer and more dynamic than the other course on site, if you had to pick only one of the Bill Frederick courses, I'd pick this one for sure. That said, they're both a fun play.

The limited hours of operation make it a bit less convenient than other courses, but the 9-11 hours that the course is open should give plenty of time to play more than a round or two.

The $2 or $4 you may spend to play this course is well worth it and is actually a bargain in the pay-to-play world. I really enjoyed playing T2 and I think most other golfers would too. The next time I'm in Orlando with time to kill, you can bet that I'll be giving this course another rip and I recommend it for anybody else that might be considering playing here.

A grind!

5+    5/12/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: badams
Pros: Every shot required, back hand, flicks, rollers...

multiple ways of attacking the pin on most holes, some very good risk reward on drives and approaches from distance.

Nice to see some par 5's and 4's

Secluded from the other course and no interference from other park users.

multiple tees lending dramatic changes in difficulty to the course.

A championship caliber course in Central Florida is nice, there are a ton of advanced level courses.
Cons: Sugar sand and lots of it.

Aside from hole 16 it is not anything to look at, I found the course asthetically unappealling. Hole 16 is absolutely beautiful though!

A couple of dollars to get in the park but two nice couses are worth it
Other Thoughts: Although I am true advanced player I find the challenge of Champ caliber courses fun. I played this course most recently with an old friend of my brother's: 87' world champ Greg Hosfeld. It was educational watching a 1000 + rated player approach the course and manage his game. I call this review a grind because thats exactly what it felt like, the course is long and difficult from the blue tees and getting around in par felt like an accomplishment for me.

very much worth playing!

Worth the drive

1    5/4/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: Variety. Bring all of your shots with you, you will be tested on all. Good length to the course, although I'm used to a 24 hole course, this 18 is long enough without being overwhelming. There are usually 3 tee's enabling all levels of players to get something out of the course. I enjoy big arms shots, although not many here, my arm did get tested. Scenery is nice, quite a bit of shade to help in the hot florida weather. There were bathrooms @ the beginning, always a plus. I did not have to go mid course but I do believe there were some, we were near campers a couple times. At the entrance to the park we asked where to go to find the course as it's in a park with many things to do. The help was very nice and even gave us a map of the courses (there are two here) when we mentioned playing disc golf. This map did help a couple of times when the sign for next tee was missing or we couldn't find it. On the back of the map there was even a scorecard to those that would like it. Although I mentioned this course is in a park setting, interruption due to campers etc was only a possible issue on one hole. Another plus, the bugs weren't bad at all. My home course is here in Florida and the no see ums or gnats or whatever you want to call them are horrible this time of year. Very pleasantly surprised they weren't near as bad here.
Cons: You have to pay to play. Water. I'm never a fan of losing discs to water hazards, I'm not rich. Perhaps if it wasn't Florida and the body of water wasn't home to the lovely alligator, I wouldn't mind so much. There was only one hole where water came into play. You have to throw a couple hundred feet over the edge of the lake to get to the basket. The 5 minutes I sat there contemplating which disc was ok to lose was not the best time spent. Now, I always play from the furthest away tee and there were two other options on this hole. One was a bit less of water to throw over but grass directly in front of the tee standing over 6' tall. The closest tee did not involve water unless you overshot or had a very bad angle but was really close to the basket. Luckily on this hole I brought my A game and landed within 10 feet of the basket for an easy 2. Next time I play the course I do believe I will be shooting this one from the closest tee. Other than the water hazard, a few holes were a bit hard to find, a couple of the signs weren't as clear as they could be about where the basket was.
Other Thoughts: Great course. I will definitely play it again. We drove about an hour and a half to play the course and it was well worth it. As I mentioned in the cons, the water is a negative but again, you don't have to throw over the water if you don't want to. I would highly suggest bringing something to drink with you just as any Florida course you should. Oh, and on your first time here, don't forget to ask about disc golf @ the gate to get your map.

Turkeynator: I'll be back!

1    3/13/2011   3/17/2011
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This course and the entire park is beautifully manicured. The park has 2 courses on site and I enjoyed this course the best. There are 3 tee positions with big, nice pads! A great course mixed with great scenery is really what I needed after the bustle of Disney.

Other Pros:
- easy to navigate with "next T" signs in confusing spots
- great use of the land including obstacles, water, and some elevation
- great tee signs
- mixed terrain (mulch, grass, sand, dirt)
- 3 tees makes play challenging for all levels
- camping on site

I really liked the walk past the rare Gopher Tortoise's home that was roped off.
Cons: The 2$ fee per person or 4$ per car fee isn't really a con, because you will get your money's worth.

Other Cons:
- closes at 5pm
- locals needed to point me to the 1st tee
Other Thoughts: As I said the fee is really worth it especially if you are bringing the family. There is tons for them to do including a playground and a pool.

My favorite hole is 16 because you are throwing over water but you need to throw a higher due to the reeds that are reaching out and trying to grab your disc.

Don't miss this park if you're in the area, it was the highlight of my Orlando trip!