Orlando, FL
Hole #10 Blue Tee

Incredible

1    1/12/2012   1/14/2012
Review By: sdervan
Pros: Amazing layout
Multiple tees
Calls for every shot in your bag and probably a few that you don't have.
Fun and winding-great use of land and water.
It is the cleanest course I have ever played.
Manicured by park staff.
Great baskets
Steps up and down when required
Cons: None that I could see
Other Thoughts: I love this course and no I'm not a local. It was beautiful and the terrain made it that much nicer. If you drive even close by-stop in and bring a friend.

Worth the Trip

1    10/28/2011   12/15/2011
Review By: ManU
Pros: This course is very well signed both on the tee pads and on the way between holes. The tape on the basket pointing to the next hole is very helpful. There are plenty of benches and places to hang your bag.
There are washrooms and a water fountain at the parking lot.
The course flows well and has a good mix of longer and shorter holes. The plant life makes the course challenging and you do have to hit lines and landing zones or you will be punished. If you get off the fairway you will be punished. When I say punished I mean that you will be adding a stroke and in some places perhaps 2.

This is not a pitch and putt type course.

It was nice to see the endangered tortoises.
Cons: Like others have said there really aren't any cons to this course.
We were there in a weekday afternoon and virtually had the entire place to ourselves...this may be a con if you are on your own and wanted to tag along with people.
Other Thoughts: Go as a car full of people rather than individually. I can't quite remember now but I think it was $4 for the car full of us (4) but if we had shown up individually it would have been $2 per person.
When I went to Florida I was looking forward to playing Cliff Stephens in Clearwater. T2 is so much more course.
I really wish I had been able to play it more than just the once. I would really like to come back and play here again.

2-4    10/23/2011   11/5/2011
Review By: jeffreyjeanshorts
Pros: Florida weather is hard to beat. Well mantained course.
Cons: Pay to play. The money is put to good use as seen in quality of park and facilities.
Other Thoughts: Played for first time in orlando open. Great time! Join orlando disc golf club.

Turkey with Gravy

1    6/29/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Bill Frederick Park: T2-The Turkeynator isn't hard to find. There are signs on the interstate and all over the area pointing you to its location. Once in the park, there is plenty of signage to direct you to the disc golf courses. The park and lake serve as a beautiful setting for disc golf.

The course features a lot of variety with regard to fairway layout, shapes/doglegs, and hole lengths. The course is fairly tree lined, but there are still penty of open holes and a good mix of both open and wooded holes with different playing surfaces, including grass, leaves, dirt, wood chips, and sand. Water is factored into the course design and is especially prevelant on hole #16 where you have a 200' or 300' (depending on the tee) drive across Turkey lake to a fast green...risk vs. reward indeed.

Multiple tees are present on every hole and offer a different playing experience from each position. Most of the tees are concrete and painted or stained their associated color and are in great shape. The baskets at the course are in good condition.

The tee signs are professional and do a great job of depicting the fairway shape, par, and each tee. Additionaly, the baskets include different colored electrical tape to point to the tee of the accompanying color. Even if that wasn't enough, there are direction and other navigational signs to get you to the next tee.

Another conveinence at this park is the restroom, located next to the parking area near holes #1 and #10.
Cons: While playing any course located in a multi-use park, caution must be exercised. On a few holes, the fairways played close to other public areas and is a hair too dangerous for my liking.

Despite the variety of fairway shapes, there is little variation in elevation.

A few of the holes play fairly close to a fenced in RV park. A shaked throw could easily end up over the fence and may be difficult to retrieve.

A few longer walks from basket to the next tee are required, but nothing terribly long or terribly inconvenient.
Other Thoughts: Being a bit longer and more dynamic than the other course on site, if you had to pick only one of the Bill Frederick courses, I'd pick this one for sure. That said, they're both a fun play.

The limited hours of operation make it a bit less convenient than other courses, but the 9-11 hours that the course is open should give plenty of time to play more than a round or two.

The $2 or $4 you may spend to play this course is well worth it and is actually a bargain in the pay-to-play world. I really enjoyed playing T2 and I think most other golfers would too. The next time I'm in Orlando with time to kill, you can bet that I'll be giving this course another rip and I recommend it for anybody else that might be considering playing here.

A grind!

5+    5/12/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: badams
Pros: Every shot required, back hand, flicks, rollers...

multiple ways of attacking the pin on most holes, some very good risk reward on drives and approaches from distance.

Nice to see some par 5's and 4's

Secluded from the other course and no interference from other park users.

multiple tees lending dramatic changes in difficulty to the course.

A championship caliber course in Central Florida is nice, there are a ton of advanced level courses.
Cons: Sugar sand and lots of it.

Aside from hole 16 it is not anything to look at, I found the course asthetically unappealling. Hole 16 is absolutely beautiful though!

A couple of dollars to get in the park but two nice couses are worth it
Other Thoughts: Although I am true advanced player I find the challenge of Champ caliber courses fun. I played this course most recently with an old friend of my brother's: 87' world champ Greg Hosfeld. It was educational watching a 1000 + rated player approach the course and manage his game. I call this review a grind because thats exactly what it felt like, the course is long and difficult from the blue tees and getting around in par felt like an accomplishment for me.

very much worth playing!

Worth the drive

1    5/4/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: Variety. Bring all of your shots with you, you will be tested on all. Good length to the course, although I'm used to a 24 hole course, this 18 is long enough without being overwhelming. There are usually 3 tee's enabling all levels of players to get something out of the course. I enjoy big arms shots, although not many here, my arm did get tested. Scenery is nice, quite a bit of shade to help in the hot florida weather. There were bathrooms @ the beginning, always a plus. I did not have to go mid course but I do believe there were some, we were near campers a couple times. At the entrance to the park we asked where to go to find the course as it's in a park with many things to do. The help was very nice and even gave us a map of the courses (there are two here) when we mentioned playing disc golf. This map did help a couple of times when the sign for next tee was missing or we couldn't find it. On the back of the map there was even a scorecard to those that would like it. Although I mentioned this course is in a park setting, interruption due to campers etc was only a possible issue on one hole. Another plus, the bugs weren't bad at all. My home course is here in Florida and the no see ums or gnats or whatever you want to call them are horrible this time of year. Very pleasantly surprised they weren't near as bad here.
Cons: You have to pay to play. Water. I'm never a fan of losing discs to water hazards, I'm not rich. Perhaps if it wasn't Florida and the body of water wasn't home to the lovely alligator, I wouldn't mind so much. There was only one hole where water came into play. You have to throw a couple hundred feet over the edge of the lake to get to the basket. The 5 minutes I sat there contemplating which disc was ok to lose was not the best time spent. Now, I always play from the furthest away tee and there were two other options on this hole. One was a bit less of water to throw over but grass directly in front of the tee standing over 6' tall. The closest tee did not involve water unless you overshot or had a very bad angle but was really close to the basket. Luckily on this hole I brought my A game and landed within 10 feet of the basket for an easy 2. Next time I play the course I do believe I will be shooting this one from the closest tee. Other than the water hazard, a few holes were a bit hard to find, a couple of the signs weren't as clear as they could be about where the basket was.
Other Thoughts: Great course. I will definitely play it again. We drove about an hour and a half to play the course and it was well worth it. As I mentioned in the cons, the water is a negative but again, you don't have to throw over the water if you don't want to. I would highly suggest bringing something to drink with you just as any Florida course you should. Oh, and on your first time here, don't forget to ask about disc golf @ the gate to get your map.

Turkeynator: I'll be back!

1    3/13/2011   3/17/2011
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This course and the entire park is beautifully manicured. The park has 2 courses on site and I enjoyed this course the best. There are 3 tee positions with big, nice pads! A great course mixed with great scenery is really what I needed after the bustle of Disney.

Other Pros:
- easy to navigate with "next T" signs in confusing spots
- great use of the land including obstacles, water, and some elevation
- great tee signs
- mixed terrain (mulch, grass, sand, dirt)
- 3 tees makes play challenging for all levels
- camping on site

I really liked the walk past the rare Gopher Tortoise's home that was roped off.
Cons: The 2$ fee per person or 4$ per car fee isn't really a con, because you will get your money's worth.

Other Cons:
- closes at 5pm
- locals needed to point me to the 1st tee
Other Thoughts: As I said the fee is really worth it especially if you are bringing the family. There is tons for them to do including a playground and a pool.

My favorite hole is 16 because you are throwing over water but you need to throw a higher due to the reeds that are reaching out and trying to grab your disc.

Don't miss this park if you're in the area, it was the highlight of my Orlando trip!

Orlando Magic!

1    12/10/2010   12/19/2010
Review By: JSurmann
This review was updated on 8/8/2013
Pros: To start, there are multiple concrete tee pads on each hole, blues for the big guns, reds for the smaller arms and green for the beginner. Some holes have red and green together. The tee pads are huge. By far the biggest I have seen on a course and most widen as you go forward. No running off the edge of the pads here!

Baskets are in fair condition and a few have a bit of weathering but nothing that really detracts from their main objective of catching discs. I suppose in the humid Florida air, this is common.

A map is given to you at the gatehouse if you ask for one but really isn't a great one. Tee signs on the other hand are well designed and have distances for each tee on the sign. Direction arrows on the baskets point you in the general direction of the next tee.

Course was very well groomed, fairways were mulched where they needed to be and grass was kept to a reasonable height. The flow for 9 brings you back to where you started as well as 18. A lot of the "greens" were sand which meant for very few roll away shots. Don't try to count on many skip shots on this course.

Many trash cans and benches are placed around the course and it was free of litter. A very clean place to play. It also had restrooms and drinking fountains at the beginning.

Use of many shots were required to succeed here. Elevation, what little change there was, was used effectively. One in particular was a downhill anhyzer through trees which was a real challenge. Then the bombing hole where the blue was 800'+ and the red was 500'+ that had trees and shrubs strategically placed right after landing zones it seemed like made for a great long hole.. The palm trees ate a few of my discs but none were lost in the trees. Throwing over water on 16 should have been an easy hyzer but the cattails grabbed my disc into the muck.

This place is an animal lovers delight. From the horses and cows at the children's farm, to the many birds, to the wild tortoise (which was my favorite), to the geese and swans on the lake, this has it all.
Cons: I couldn't find the first tee. From the map I was given I couldn't even tell where to begin looking. This is a mixed use park so be aware of other walkers, children and the elderly as there is a motorhome park on site as well.
Other Thoughts: Camping on site and not crowded when I went on a Friday at noon. That really surprised me. Be sure to tell the people at the gatehouse you're there to play disc golf (they spell it "disk" golf on the signs) and they will give you a map and general directions. The locals there are very nice and let us play through when we caught up.

I will be certain to play the other Turkey course next time.

Watch where you step so you don't squash a tortoise!

Nice course...but slightly disappointed.

1    10/4/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Turkeynator is a lengthy course requiring challenging shots. Execution is crucial in order to score well. Hole variation is exceptional: both distance-wise and shape-wise.

The land is used exceptionally well. What elevation the land could provide is used adequately.

As with the othert course, the groundskeeping is immaculate. Fairways are clean and mowed. I did not see the first evidence of trash on the course.

Baskets and signs were all in excellent condition. The directional markers were a big help. This course had multiple tees on a lot of the holes which makes it fun for all skill levels. The shorter tees often had different angles making it a solid challenge as well.

I think the long hole needs to be mentioned. At a lot of courses I have played, there will be a random 800 feet long open hole so that people associated with the course can brag "We have a 800+ ft. hole". Most of these holes are long simply for the sake of being long. The long hole at this course was much different. You could easily see the desired landing zones and small bushes strategicall hindered certain shots. It was a well-designed long hole, and I haven't seen that very often.

Cons: As I mentioned in my review of the Original Course, the terrain was my biggest problem. This course was slightly worse because there are a few areas were smaller trees have been removed to create fairways. Many small stumps were left which make easy tripping hazards.

Some of the tee pads were cracked but, again, this is due to the type of terrain. The presence of sand interspersed with compacted dirt makes finding a solid foundation for the pads difficult.
Other Thoughts: The Turkeynator is a solid, challenging course.
Strangely, I scored the exact same on this course as the other course which was not very challenging. I just happened to get on a roll on this course.

While the course is a nice course, I feel as if its overall grade is a little inflated. It is supposed to be one of the top 5 in Florida. I live in Nashville, Tennessee. I am not associated with any club or certain course. I have played many courses throughout the region. There are 3 courses within 20 minutes of my home that I consider better than this course. I think Turkeynator qualifies as an "excellent" course, but anything above that is a stretch. I was a little disappointed, but my expectations may have been to high as well.

In short, the Turkeynator is an excllent course having a good mix of challenge and fun. But in my opinion, you may want to temper your expectations before putting it on your "wish list".

Fun in the Sun

5+    3/16/2010   7/18/2010
Review By: Dave_Townsend
Pros: Great terrain, well maintained. Gregg did a great job with this one!!
Cons: The only con I have about this course is one of the plam trees ate my Roc!! Hahahaha
Other Thoughts: If you're in the Orlando vicinity this is a MUST play course. If you're lucky enough you will run into the designer Gregg Hosfeld, and get to hear some GREAT jokes from him and play a round with a World Champ!