Charleston (John's Island), SC
Trophy Lakes Share
Uploaded By: DavidSauls Hole #18 (Taken 6/2009)

One of my favorites

1    11/28/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: This course seems to be professional caliber. It has everything you want from a well thought out course layout around a ski lake to plenty of trees, multiple tee locations for beginner, amateur and professional skill levels, some very demanding par 4's and 5's and some fun and even unique basket locations, such as the basket in the ground on hole 13.
Cons: None on the course come to mind, but I could see where the ski lake could become distracting
Other Thoughts: My wife and I played this course on a trip late November. We're fairly new to the sport, however, based on the reviews, we decided to give this course a try. I was very pleased with my 1 over round from the am tees. I definitely recommend having a disc or 2 that either floats or you don't care about on some of the water holes. Somehow I managed to not lose a disc, but this involved some amount of luck!

Trophy Lakes takes gold!

1    8/14/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 9/3/2014
Pros: -WATER, WATER, WATER!!
-good variety of distances
-decent mix of open, semi-open, somewhat wooded holes
-fun & challenging greens and basket placements
-several legit multi-throw holes for most arms
-3 tee levels, all with concrete
-great new signs with all the new tee info
-next tee signs and maps on the scorecard, navigation is easy
-practice basket
-benches, trashcans, restrooms, pro shop
-awesome watersports on the lakes
-pay to play (yes, i think it's a good thing)
Cons: -mostly flat terrain, but what can you do
-only 2 kinda wooded holes
-hole 11 has to walk through 12's fairway. tee 13 is in 12's fairway
-16 plays over the main road, watch for cars
-18 plays near the overflow parking
-inevitable lost discs in the water, but it's so worth it. the pucker factor adds to the fun factor! also, there is a lost and found in the pro shop.

Other Thoughts: This course is totally awesome! I had such a great time playing here. The course plays around a couple of small lakes that are open for watersports. There are six potential water carries plus many baskets near the water's edge.

Many of the holes play into or out of the edge of the trees surrounding the course area but there are really only 2 holes that are more or less wooded. The lack of some true wooded holes and any real elevation are my only nitpicking complains about this course but the design does the best it can with what is available.

There is great variety in the distances between holes, especially with 3 different tee levels. They are appropriate for different skill levels but the water is still present and challenging on all the tee levels. The blues are a real beast with 8 holes over 500' and the new red (family) tees are great for the on-vacation golfer with the family in tow.

The fun factor is high here. I love all the water hazards and risk/reward involved. It may be frustrating for newer players, or anyone who loses some plastic in the drink, but experienced players will appreciate the challenge. The sunken basket on 13 and the hanging basket nearby are cool touches. I should also note that the wakeboarding pulley system is awesome but it does make a bit of noise. You won't get that secluded out in nature feeling but the park is beautiful. The flat land and lack of true wooded holes is what holds Trophy Lakes back from being a truly elite course.

I talked to the owner and I could tell he took a lot of pride in the course. It also showed in the level of maintenance. I'm glad the $5 is going to good use. Definitely the best course in the Charleston area and my favorite course that I have played in South Carolina.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Awesome watersports park, hard DG course

1    8/25/2012   8/25/2012
Review By: nevets4433
Pros: Huge, sprawling park allows for a wide variety in hole types. Having long holes along with short narrow ones makes for a fun course to play.

Practice basket out back.

The hanging basket next to the 13th basket is a really fun diversion in the middle of the course.

The pro shop is really well stocked and has scorecards and pencils

Awesome waterpark around...its entartining just to watch.

Park is awesomely manicured.

The green complexes here are really neat. Some are elevated on hills, others raised above ground level by small earthworks, and hole 13 has the unique "sunken basket".

Great use of available lake space. Water comes into play but is usually fair.

Best tee pads in the area! Good signage.

3 sets of tee pads is great to balance hole length with player ability.
Cons: Course can be very difficult!

Lots of opportunities for disc loss.

$5 to play.

I'm undecided if the "sunken basket" is fun, a gimmick, or both.

Lots of backtracking to get to the next tee, layout could be a bit more efficient.

Hole 8 isn't the best design...its really narrow and the tee position doesn't really allow for a bailout.

16 is also a bit of a mess...it plays down the entrance road...not always the smartest plan.

18 also involves the overflow parking area and was blocked by a band stage when I was there.
Other Thoughts: Definitely the nicest and most technical course in the Charleston area, but it is also very difficult and can be frustrating to the newer player.

The great lakes

2-4    7/30/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 5/24/2013
Pros: -Trophy lakes is a great disc golf course around John's Island. It's the best course in Charleston and when I played it, I could see why.
-The course has nice teepads that are nice and longer than most. You will need a big strong run up since a lot of water occurs and some teeshots are over the water.
-The new family tees came and they are now the red tees. The tees that used to be red are now the whites. The blues are the same. On the new red tees, every hole under 300" so if you are a beginner, the red tees are for you. Not a lot of water occurs either.
-There are next tee signs that point you where to go. They also have the hole # you are headed to.
-There is a pro shop where you can pick up scorecards and they have many discs that float in water (dragons, hydras and wahoos) so if you don't have a floatable disc, bring about $10 for that. Also bring about $2 for sodas. You will need it.
-There is a practice basket to the back of the pro shop.
-#14 is a great hole! At 825" feet long with a wide fairway but there are woods to the left. Avoid the trees to the right as well because it's hard to get out if you are not in the fairway. Don't let this hole beat you up. It's fun but punishing as well.
-There are mando trees as well and I like the mando gate on #13 since it is only a few feet from the tree. There is a mando on #14 too but it only points you to go left.
-I loved #14 but my favorite is #13. I have not seen a basket sunken that you can't see the pole part. It's easier to make bigger putts on this one since it's lower.
-There is also another practice basket beside #13's basket that is hanging from a tree. It's fun to practice in that one.
-All of the baskets are in good shape and the grass is cut.
-Benches and trashcans are on the course along with bathrooms.
Cons: -The teesigns are gone and the baskets are not numbered. If you don't get a map in the pro shop, then you could be lost.
-The new red tees do not have tee pads yet but they are new so I think they will soon.
-#11 isn't a good hole. It's surrounded by water and you will need to throw a big hyzer to avoid it. Sometimes it can go the wrong way and you will land in the water. I did that with a dragon and I still got soaked. You might want to consider playing the red tees on this hole. It's the same with a couple more but they have the fairways straight ahead.
-Paying to play is always a con. It's $5 bucks so you will need to bring about $20. I would play at least twice so it's worth the payment. It's a lot of fun and once you pay, you can play all day.
-I had a hard time finding #1 usually people can find it but you just go right of the parking lot and pro shop. #1's basket is across the road and water is past the basket.
#8 was moved back and I lost a disc in the water since the water is more straight ahead. It really should be moved back cause this design is no good and #18 isn't a great finishing hole, it's too short for a par 4 and for players who usually hit 300+ can get an eagle.
Other Thoughts: I do not live in Charleston. I was just here for vacation with my family and my parents got me to play here. Pay $5 for the disc golfin' and you can buy discs that float for 8 to $10 bucks. I would bring your own cooler and keep it in your car. You will need something to drink after every round you play because you will be sweatin' like a pig. I met a man named James and he played the last four holes with me on my second round. The day before I played here, he played four rounds. You might also get wet. Bring your bathing suit or extra clothes and a towel. There is a lot of water. Get why my title is called "The Great Lakes"

hole by hole review (white)
#1. Nice starting hole that isn't very long but just get over the road and you are pretty close. Don't bomb your drive. You could land in the water past the basket.
#2. I like that it's wooded. This hole is short but requires accuracy since there are a lotof trees. Sidearming is safer and RHBH can get you close or it can hit a tree.
#3. Another wooded hole I liked. It's no longer than #2 and it's straight but the tree in the middle of the fairway can mess you up. Go left or right of it.
#4. The great elevation hole! The deep woods aren't as nasty right as they are left. A midrange goes straighter as you know so go with that. Give it a little power, you got an uphill putt.
#5. Not hard if you avoid the woods to the left and miss the tree ahead of you. If you are in my range of throwing (225-275) and occasional hit 300+. Give it more power than you usually do.
#6. Now there is a long hole. It's 546 feet of distance and accuracy. Once you get over the lake about 200-210" feet. You got a lot of trees to avoid. I didn't like this hole and a bogey isn't bad for this one. RHBH on you teeshot.
#7. Nice hole for sidearm throwers. It's a bit challenging since you have to avoid the woods right and miss the water also to the right. Only let it turn a little but right.
#8. I don't like that it was moved back at all. It's now at least 260" from the white and it's not an ace run anymore. The water is more straight ahead and it's a disc eater. Hyzers are needed.
#9. Also technical but if you are in the fairway which is in the field, that's a good shot. The basket is in the woods. Sneak through whatever tree you find easy to avoid. 243" feet long.
#10. It's like #11 but the fairway is wider and a small hyzer and a decent 250" is a nice shot. It's longer than 324" though. It's about 350". I like the basket on the small circle of bricks.
#11. Not fun at all. The water is really nasty and I got soaked by getting my disc out. So I don't like this one. A hyzer should be safe but discs turnover on this one and the water skiiers can distract you.
#12. Decent hole that is longer than 380" though but anyway. The water is ahead by 180" feet. It's not too much in play though but going over is risky. Go short if you can throw very straight. Going over give you an easy birdie and even if you aren't across, you still have a birdie opprotunity.
#13. My favorite on the course and the sunken basket is awesome. Hit the mando tree if you play the white and blue tee. It's the same. If you play red, there is no mando.
#14. Super long and challenging. Brillant design and the fairway is wide enough for a monstrous drive on this monster. Be cafeful and this is a test of your big drives. Don't let them go bad. I loved this hole.
#15. Mildly frightening teeshot that requires at least 190" feet of accuracy and don't keep it low. You are in the water if it's low and don't sidearm either.
#16. Great par 4 that is a dogleg left. The basket is exactly the way #10's is on the brick circle. The tree in front of your teeshot is a disc magnet. Keep it lowerthan the limbs hanging down.
#17. Not an ace run but very easy if you avoid the bushes in the fairway.
#18. Too short for a par 4 at only 333'' feet long. It's also straight. The lake is in play to the right and the road is very close to the left. Sidearm over the road and get it to go right and you have an easy birdie.
-#13 was my favorite but the signature hole probably is #14. It's length was pleasing.

Fun, Private Course

1    7/21/2011   5/4/2012
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -Very well maintained
-Pro Shop with knowledgeable staff
-Many different types of holes for all types of shots
-Different tee pads for different players
Cons: -Can lose a disc in the water and hard to get it back when you live in Ohio
Other Thoughts: I vacationed near by last year and just now decided to write a review (did not know this webiste existed). This is by far the best course I have ever played. Very fun with all types of holes. Some are extremely long, others are fairly short. The overall atmosphere of the course is amazing. Great signage and tee boxes. Baskets are excellent and easy to spot with the flags on top. Had was seemed to be the course owners dogs following me around while I played. I didnt mind though, very friendly. Interesting hole with two trees in front of the tee box, must throw in between them. Also a hole in the ground which I have never seen before.

All in all, this course is very unique and has a lot to offer. I have played numerous course near my hometown, but none of them are nearly as nice as this one. If you are in the area or vacationing like I was, I highly recommend playing. It is well worth the $5 and a wonderful experience.

Trophy Lakes, new 'family friendly' tees, coming soon...

5+    5/3/2012   5/3/2012
Review By: Shade
This review was updated on 6/14/2012
Pros: Beautiful, laid back setting on private property. Safe and enjoyable for families. Knowledgeable staff and well stocked Pro Shop. Great signage, written guides, maps and scorecards. Professional instruction available by appointment.
Cons: I wish I lived there...
Other Thoughts: Trophy Lakes Disc Golf Resort is currently undergoing a "Spring Cleaning" of sorts. By the end of June 2012 the property will boast three full sets of tees (Red, White and Blue). Yes, something for everyone. The Red tees (newest setup) have been designed for newer players who haven't yet obtained the throwing ability (distance) to cross the lake 'fingers'. The Reds also provide an ideal training course for more experienced players wanting to sharpen their short game skills. The White course (formerly red) is for more advanced players, requires several carries over the lake and offers numerous multi-shot, risk/reward challenges. The Blue setup (The Blue Monster) plays more closely to the PDGA's guidelines for a 'Gold' course. This is the course that top professional players want to conquer, but few have...

Go big or go home

2-4    1/19/2011   2/1/2012
Review By: widespreadpanic
Pros: Private park means you can drink beer while you play!
Pro store with decent disc varaiety.
Nice bathrooms.
Beautiful layout with extreme shots across water.
Cons: You're gonna lose a disc if you go big.
Other Thoughts: This course is a total mind f__k. The sheer amount of over the water shots questions your confidence in yourself. They say a diver retrieves the discs and you can pick them up at the shop, but if you don't live in the area, it doesn't do much good.

Overall a must see course. Worth the $5 price of admission. I'll be back next time I'm on vacation in the area.

Sphinchter Tingler!

2-4    10/28/2011   11/18/2011
Review By: Toro71
Pros: -well maintained. A course that looks like it recieves a lot of traffic, but I've never seen more than 3-4 other groups of golfers out there. That means this course is somebody's baby, and it shows.
-"Rasta Corner," the bench on #4 tee, hilarious.
-design. Best use of water I've ever seen on a course. I'm from Charlotte, where we have 15 courses, and maybe 4 water shots. Enough water that the lack of elevation isn't missed at all. Quite a few "signature" holes here, despite the relatively boring topography. Somewhat open, and as I said, flat, so the wind is also a big challenge factor. the two sets of tees are great. The short Reds are fun and reasonably tough, the longer Blues offer some of the toughest risk/reward desicions you'll ever face off the tee, especially if you're right around the 300-325 ft range in D.
-Some people don't like pay-to-play, but it's only a fiver (free if you buy two discs, which you probably will after your round,) and that plus the relative difficulty mean that unless there's a tourney going on, it's usually just a few groups of serious golfers out there.
-the on-site pro shop is a crucial plus, since even the most accomplished golfer can get greedy on some of the holes out here, and toss plastic into the drink. Not to mention, the pro shop is usually "manned" by a hottie in a bathing suit (male or female,) which can offer pre-round inspiration for even the most hard-hearted hucker.
-John's Island park, about 1.5 miles away, has a decent 9-holer next to a soccer field, perfect for warm-up rounds/bombs.
-at 6' 3", I'm a big fan of tee pads of adequate length, particularly on holes where i'm asked to throw as far as I can.
-Water-ski facility, so (I assume) no 'gators!
Cons: I love this layout, but anyone can nitpick, yes?

-can be tough to find the place if you don't know where you're going
-first time through, navigation/basket location can be a tad dodgy. You may need to scout a couple of holes, since the map and tee signs are wrong on a hole or two. (Lookin at you, 14!)
-they don't sell drinks at the pro-shop, meaing water, etc, and the heat can be brutal with a capital B out there, and the course is flat, but long and pretty open (sunny.) So, bring as much water (and towels, etc) as you ever carry, unless it's winter. Bug spray, too, probably.
-If you're still a beginner-stage player, this course will be frustrating, especially from the Blues.
-Holes 2 and 3, and the early part of the back 9, kind of mush together, both in a design sense (275 ft shots through loose stands of small-bore trees,) and on the back 9, in a lay-out sense (on a busy day, groups can throw into each other.) They do a passable job of making these holes unique from each other, but not 100% great on that. Like the hole with the Red basket buried up to the top of the tray, and the Blue basket hanging from a tree 15 ft off the ground...mmmm, OK.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, I'm from Charlotte, and spoiled course-wise, but we don't have anything like the 'Lakes, and since my old man has a place in the area, I try to spend a day out there whenever I'm in town. This is a great course, the best risk/reward course I've ever palyed, creatively designed and a blast to play. Bring water, and your very best mental game.

Worth the price of admission

1    5/21/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: lxdawg25
Pros: This was a really cool course. It has a bunch of interesting changes that make it a very fun course. Located on private property around two water ski runs it was a really interesting property. There were two tees for every hole. I played the blues mostly but did go to the reds on a few holes. A pro shop on site with some good friendly people is also a huge plus. I bought a Wahoo pre round and they sent the boat down to pick it out of the water for me when it got stuck in the middle.

Hole 6 - Blue tee is a long drive out over the water, it was fun proving that I could shoot it.

Hole 10 - I liked this hole because it had multiple ways to play it. I played it down the opposite shore than crossed the water. Others in my group just followed the shore to the basket.

Hole 13 - The sunken basket. I think this hole would be more fun without the mando off the tee box but the sunken basket is a nice gimmick that makes this hole memorable.

Hole 14 - 1000 feet. What more can I say, not really open enough to bomb it but definitly a great hole for those wanting a challenge.

Hole 15 - A great risk reward hole. An over the water drive with a tree filled island sitting in the middle of it. You can go the long safe route, but for a real thrill try to thread the needle on the island for an easy 3.
Cons: This course is not beginner friendly. I know it has the red tees but I went with family and they were all dragging by the end. There was a lot of frustration with all of the water shots and the long routes around the shore. I personally would have preferred a course that felt a bit more cohesive and "serious". It was fun but I just think it had a feel of a gimmick course to it not a true championship style course. Maybe I'll feel differently if I go back and play but it just felt a bit over the top.

Hole 16 - I just really think this hole could be scrapped. It really ruined the round. Before driving I had to walk the entire hole to find the basket. A drive, then a lay up across the road which is OB than another layup back across the road, then a long putt. It just had a very pointless feel to it and was very frustrating, which brings me to my next point which not all would consider a con.

- Absolutely no swimming. I threw a drive in on 16. I'll never get to see that disc again. I get they don't want folks swimming while they're running customers on the ski runs but that only happened twice the whole time we were out there, I just wish I could have asked for permission or something because that was one of my favorite discs and the water was crystal, I just couldn't go get it, and I doubt they will ever get it either.
Other Thoughts: It was a fun course but the heat was very very brutal. I personally don't know if I'd go there again but it is an hour + drive from my folks place and to drive that far and pay was a bit rough for the quality of the course. If I was in Charleston this may be a much different story. I'd much rather go play some of the courses in Columbia though they are mostly free and much more enjoyable design wise.

Throw over lakes

1    5/5/2011   5/24/2011
Review By: DWill
Pros: In a very well maintained piece of property, that is dedicated to just disc golf, so no wandering pedestrians to watch out for. The course is fairly easy to navigate, in a clockwise direction around one of the lakes. It starts and stops at a well stocked pro shop, with plenty of parking and on-site bathrooms. There are also other water sport activities that non disc golfing family members can partake in, while you are playing a round or two.

There are two tee pads on most holes, with tee signs and concrete pads. The shorter pads are great for beginners up to high intermediate players, while the long pads are challenging even for the top pros. There is a good mix of distance variety, from some makeable deuces to reasonable par 4s.

The course plays over, around and near a long lake, that requires you to make good decisions and execution of your shots. Whether it's throwing over the water or parallel to it, very few mistakes will go unpunished.
Cons: The map seemed out of sync with the course. An example, hole 14s basket was much farther than what the map indicated.

Chance of losing a disc here is pretty high, with all the water, especially from the longer tees.

Tee pads 2 and 6, are a little too close for my liking. Also, fairways 12 to 14 are parallel to each other and errant throws may intrude on one another.
Other Thoughts: It is a pay for play course. Some players think that is a pro, some think it is a con, I will let you decide for yourself.

The course is very flat, with little to no elevation changes. That is how it is in this part of the country, so I'm not going to count that against it. If it had elevation that it didn't use, then I would call that a con.

There is a sunken basket (#13), that I wasn't really a big fan of. In my opinion, it's a little easier to get it in, since you can never be too low.

The jewel of Charleston, this course offers the best disc golfing experience in the area. It is difficult and challenging, but in a beautiful surrounding.