Charleston (John's Island), SC
Trophy Lakes Share
Uploaded By: bygwyllay Hole #3 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #3 Red Tee

Good times

1    12/4/2013   12/17/2013
Review By: Chainsgoching
This review was updated on 10/4/2014
Pros: I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I thought they used the lay of the land very well, the course was very well manicured and had a great mix of long, challenging and short holes with multiple tees on each hole, making it challenging for all skill levels. I see a lot of reviewers complaing about water hazards, but I also enjoyed them as well. It made things exciting. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone
Cons: The $5 to play, while worth the price, is a little steep. If I lived in the area it would suck to have to pay $5 everytime I wanted to play, as I typically play 2-4 times a week. Other than that....no gripes
Other Thoughts: Keep it up Trophy Lakes.

Great course for Charleston area!

5+    7/28/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: JLloydlongputt
Pros: This is a pro styled course, that offers a lot of variety and difficulty. With that being said the beginner or "Rec" tees are perfect for those still in their learning curve. There's plenty of water hazards to keep you on your toes as you make your way around the lakes. The layout caters to every skill level, and its very well maintained.
Cons: Overlapping of some holes on the back nine would be the main complaint here. Water hazards can be a headache but more concerned players can avoid it from the red tees. Dodging the wakeboard cable on tee 12 can be frustrating as well.
Other Thoughts: This is a great all around course and is well worth the trip. Anyone who lives in the area has to feel lucky to have TL near by, I sure do!

Water, Water, Everywhere

1    7/28/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: I think it was around hole thirteen when I found myself questioning the existence of dry land. From six on, there will not be a hole in which water is not impacting your toss. There are many crossings, though only a couple of significant length. When you aren't throwing over water, you are usually throwing parallel to it.

I like courses that have an identity and Trophy Lakes certainly has that. It's not perfect but the exploring fingers of water create several memorable holes. Holes like eight, which backs you up into the woods, to throw onto a narrow stretch of land between an extremity of the lake and row of planted trees. The green is on a cairn with water on two sides. Or twelve, which allows a long layup before the crossing, unless you dare to try and make the 400 feet from tee to the far side of the water in one go.

It's a course you will have to let go to play. You will hit water at some point. Accept it. Throw floaters because you will likely get them back. The water at Trophy Lakes is better than on most courses. If you're there in the summer, you will see people swimming in it just around the bend.

There are three tee locations, and they provide a wide variety of difficulties. The short tees are almost too easy, with some very short holes, and none of the water crossings that make this course worth playing. The far tees are very difficult, often adding length before a crossing. The middles are the best designed though, and those are the ones that give the purest vision of Trophy Lakes.
Cons: You'll get to make a some interesting throws here, yes, but you won't throw much is anything going right. This will likely be a frustrating course for most RHFH or LHBH players. There are many situations will realize that their favored style throw will put them in the water.

You will also find quite a few uninspired holes, in particular the first few. With zero elevation, its hard to make that many distinct holes, and when Trophy Lakes ventures away from the water, that shows. Hole one throws at a tent area. Hole eighteen throws along the parking area: row of cars is not an interesting obstacle. Another hole requires you to throw over an area of water where people will be wakeboarding.

The worst part of Trophy Lakes, by far, is the flowage. The navigation between holes is terrible, even for the standard tees. There's a lot of backtracking and wandering about looking for tees. The signs are good, so the basket can be easily found from the tee. It's just that the tee is often in a terrible location considering the position of the previous pin.
Other Thoughts: Good solid course, that I'd go back to when in Charleston, but it's neither a course that I would want to play a lot, or a true destination course.

Great course!

5+    7/27/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: diskchucker
This review was updated on 7/30/2013
Pros: The atmosphere here is great. Lots of water all around. Shade and sun. Unique pin placements. Three levels of tee boxes. The red tee's take the water completely out of play. There is a 5 dollar fee but definatley worth it. Challenging with a wide variety of holes. Woods to open, open to woods, Flows well. Pro shop with a big selection of discs.
Cons: Did I mention there is lots of water everywhere? Well don't let your ego make you loose a disc trying to throw from the blue tee's if you are not a pro stick to the white and red tee's. The staff is somewhat friendly, but there is room for improvement. The water is a huge factor on lots of holes so bring a floater or throw something that you do not care that much for.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a must play if you are in the Charleston area. If you like the challenge of water shots and you have floating disc's this is a fun course.

5+    6/23/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: Leahy
Pros: Really great course, some difficult holes. I think it's a perfect course for newcomers and pros alike because of the different tee boxes. Overall it's a really fun course to play with friends or challenging to play by yourself. I like that many holes involve the water also it's nice having the water skiers going by as we'll. it's even a fun course to watch as a spectator. Lastly a great course if you want to bring your four legged friend.
Cons: As most of the course in the low country, is susceptible to flooding with rain. Not much cane be done just be aware if its rained the past few days your going to have to walk through some puddles. Also I agree with what others have said there is a chance of losing a disc so come prepared to either skip holes or lose a couple, they do however provide a great lost and found for discs lost in the water or woods.
Other Thoughts: I think this is the best course in the Charleston area because of the difficulty, the interesting design and also has a great pro shop with (most) employees really knowing there stuff.

One of my favorites

1    11/28/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: This course seems to be professional caliber. It has everything you want from a well thought out course layout around a ski lake to plenty of trees, multiple tee locations for beginner, amateur and professional skill levels, some very demanding par 4's and 5's and some fun and even unique basket locations, such as the basket in the ground on hole 13.
Cons: None on the course come to mind, but I could see where the ski lake could become distracting
Other Thoughts: My wife and I played this course on a trip late November. We're fairly new to the sport, however, based on the reviews, we decided to give this course a try. I was very pleased with my 1 over round from the am tees. I definitely recommend having a disc or 2 that either floats or you don't care about on some of the water holes. Somehow I managed to not lose a disc, but this involved some amount of luck!

Trophy Lakes takes gold!

1    8/14/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 9/3/2014
Pros: -WATER, WATER, WATER!!
-good variety of distances
-decent mix of open, semi-open, somewhat wooded holes
-fun & challenging greens and basket placements
-several legit multi-throw holes for most arms
-3 tee levels, all with concrete
-great new signs with all the new tee info
-next tee signs and maps on the scorecard, navigation is easy
-practice basket
-benches, trashcans, restrooms, pro shop
-awesome watersports on the lakes
-pay to play (yes, i think it's a good thing)
Cons: -mostly flat terrain, but what can you do
-only 2 kinda wooded holes
-hole 11 has to walk through 12's fairway. tee 13 is in 12's fairway
-16 plays over the main road, watch for cars
-18 plays near the overflow parking
-inevitable lost discs in the water, but it's so worth it. the pucker factor adds to the fun factor! also, there is a lost and found in the pro shop.

Other Thoughts: This course is totally awesome! I had such a great time playing here. The course plays around a couple of small lakes that are open for watersports. There are six potential water carries plus many baskets near the water's edge.

Many of the holes play into or out of the edge of the trees surrounding the course area but there are really only 2 holes that are more or less wooded. The lack of some true wooded holes and any real elevation are my only nitpicking complains about this course but the design does the best it can with what is available.

There is great variety in the distances between holes, especially with 3 different tee levels. They are appropriate for different skill levels but the water is still present and challenging on all the tee levels. The blues are a real beast with 8 holes over 500' and the new red (family) tees are great for the on-vacation golfer with the family in tow.

The fun factor is high here. I love all the water hazards and risk/reward involved. It may be frustrating for newer players, or anyone who loses some plastic in the drink, but experienced players will appreciate the challenge. The sunken basket on 13 and the hanging basket nearby are cool touches. I should also note that the wakeboarding pulley system is awesome but it does make a bit of noise. You won't get that secluded out in nature feeling but the park is beautiful. The flat land and lack of true wooded holes is what holds Trophy Lakes back from being a truly elite course.

I talked to the owner and I could tell he took a lot of pride in the course. It also showed in the level of maintenance. I'm glad the $5 is going to good use. Definitely the best course in the Charleston area and my favorite course that I have played in South Carolina.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Awesome watersports park, hard DG course

2-4    8/25/2012   8/25/2012
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 1/22/2015
Pros: Huge, sprawling park allows for a wide variety in hole types. Having long holes along with short narrow ones makes for a fun course to play.

Practice basket out back.

The hanging basket next to the 13th basket is a really fun diversion in the middle of the course.

The pro shop is really well stocked and has scorecards and pencils

Awesome waterpark around...its entartining just to watch.

Park is awesomely manicured.

The green complexes here are really neat. Some are elevated on hills, others raised above ground level by small earthworks, and hole 13 has the unique "sunken basket".

Great use of available lake space. Water comes into play but is usually fair.

Best tee pads in the area! Good signage.

3 sets of tee pads is great to balance hole length with player ability.
Cons: Course can be very difficult!

Lots of opportunities for disc loss.

$5 to play.

I'm undecided if the "sunken basket" is fun, a gimmick, or both.

Lots of backtracking to get to the next tee, layout could be a bit more efficient.

Hole 8 isn't the best design...its really narrow and the tee position doesn't really allow for a bailout.

16 is also a bit of a mess...it plays down the entrance road...not always the smartest plan.

18 also involves the overflow parking area and was blocked by a band stage when I was there.
Other Thoughts: Definitely the nicest and most technical course in the Charleston area, but it is also very difficult and can be frustrating to the newer player.

The great lakes

2-4    7/30/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 1/25/2015
Pros: -Trophy lakes is a great disc golf course around John's Island. It's the best course in Charleston and when I played it, I could see why.
-The course has nice teepads that are nice and longer than most. You will need a big strong run up since a lot of water occurs and some teeshots are over the water.
-The new family tees came and they are now the red tees. The tees that used to be red are now the whites. The blues are the same. On the new red tees, every hole under 300' so if you are a beginner, the red tees are for you. Not a lot of water occurs either.
-There are next tee signs that point you where to go. They also have the hole # you are headed to.
-There is a pro shop where you can pick up scorecards and they have many discs that float in water (dragons, hydras and wahoos) so if you don't have a floatable disc, bring about $10 for that. Also bring about $2 for sodas. You will need it.
-There is a practice basket to the back of the pro shop.
-#14 is a great hole! At 825' feet long with a wide fairway but there are woods to the left. Avoid the trees to the right as well because it's hard to get out if you are not in the fairway. Don't let this hole beat you up. It's fun but punishing as well.
-There are mando trees as well and I like the mando gate on #13 since it is only a few feet from the tree. There is a mando on #14 too but it only points you to go left.
-I loved #14 but my favorite is #13. I have not seen a basket sunken that you can't see the pole part. It's easier to make bigger putts on this one since it's lower.
-There is also another practice basket beside #13's basket that is hanging from a tree. It's fun to practice in that one.
-All of the baskets are in good shape and the grass is cut.
-Benches and trashcans are on the course along with bathrooms.
Cons: -The teesigns are gone and the baskets are not numbered. If you don't get a map in the pro shop, then you could be lost.
-The new red tees do not have tee pads yet but they are new so I think they will soon.
-#11 isn't a good hole. It's surrounded by water and you will need to throw a big hyzer to avoid it. Sometimes it can go the wrong way and you will land in the water. I did that with a dragon and I still got soaked. You might want to consider playing the red tees on this hole. It's the same with a couple more but they have the fairways straight ahead.
-Paying to play is always a con. It's $5 bucks so you will need to bring about $20. I would play at least twice so it's worth the payment. It's a lot of fun and once you pay, you can play all day.
-I had a hard time finding #1 usually people can find it but you just go right of the parking lot and pro shop. #1's basket is across the road and water is past the basket.
#8 was moved back and I lost a disc in the water since the water is more straight ahead. It really should be moved back cause this design is no good and #18 isn't a great finishing hole, it's too short for a par 4 and for players who usually hit 300+ can get an eagle.
Other Thoughts: I do not live in Charleston. I was just here for vacation with my family and my parents got me to play here. Pay $5 for the disc golfin' and you can buy discs that float for 8 to $10 bucks. I would bring your own cooler and keep it in your car. You will need something to drink after every round you play because you will be sweatin' like a pig. I met a man named James and he played the last four holes with me on my second round. The day before I played here, he played four rounds. You might also get wet. Bring your bathing suit or extra clothes and a towel. There is a lot of water. Get why my title is called "The Great Lakes"

hole by hole review (white)
#1. Nice starting hole that isn't very long but just get over the road and you are pretty close. Don't bomb your drive. You could land in the water past the basket.
#2. I like that it's wooded. This hole is short but requires accuracy since there are a lotof trees. Sidearming is safer and RHBH can get you close or it can hit a tree.
#3. Another wooded hole I liked. It's no longer than #2 and it's straight but the tree in the middle of the fairway can mess you up. Go left or right of it.
#4. The great elevation hole! The deep woods aren't as nasty right as they are left. A midrange goes straighter as you know so go with that. Give it a little power, you got an uphill putt.
#5. Not hard if you avoid the woods to the left and miss the tree ahead of you. If you are in my range of throwing (225-275) and occasional hit 300+. Give it more power than you usually do.
#6. Now there is a long hole. It's 546 feet of distance and accuracy. Once you get over the lake about 200-210' feet. You got a lot of trees to avoid. I didn't like this hole and a bogey isn't bad for this one. RHBH on you teeshot.
#7. Nice hole for sidearm throwers. It's a bit challenging since you have to avoid the woods right and miss the water also to the right. Only let it turn a little but right.
#8. I don't like that it was moved back at all. It's now at least 260' from the white and it's not an ace run anymore. The water is more straight ahead and it's a disc eater. Hyzers are needed.
#9. Also technical but if you are in the fairway which is in the field, that's a good shot. The basket is in the woods. Sneak through whatever tree you find easy to avoid. 243' feet long.
#10. It's like #11 but the fairway is wider and a small hyzer and a decent 250' is a nice shot. It's longer than 324' though. It's about 350'. I like the basket on the small circle of bricks.
#11. Not fun at all. The water is really nasty and I got soaked by getting my disc out. So I don't like this one. A hyzer should be safe but discs turnover on this one and the water skiiers can distract you.
#12. Decent hole that is longer than 380' though but anyway. The water is ahead by 180' feet. It's not too much in play though but going over is risky. Go short if you can throw very straight. Going over give you an easy birdie and even if you aren't across, you still have a birdie opprotunity.
#13. My favorite on the course and the sunken basket is awesome. Hit the mando tree if you play the white and blue tee. It's the same. If you play red, there is no mando.
#14. Super long and challenging. Brillant design and the fairway is wide enough for a monstrous drive on this monster. Be cafeful and this is a test of your big drives. Don't let them go bad. I loved this hole.
#15. Mildly frightening teeshot that requires at least 190' feet of accuracy and don't keep it low. You are in the water if it's low and don't sidearm either.
#16. Great par 4 that is a dogleg left. The basket is exactly the way #10's is on the brick circle. The tree in front of your teeshot is a disc magnet. Keep it lowerthan the limbs hanging down.
#17. Not an ace run but very easy if you avoid the bushes in the fairway.
#18. Too short for a par 4 at only 333' feet long. It's also straight. The lake is in play to the right and the road is very close to the left. Sidearm over the road and get it to go right and you have an easy birdie.
-#13 was my favorite but the signature hole probably is #14. It's length was pleasing.

Fun, Private Course

1    7/21/2011   5/4/2012
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -Very well maintained
-Pro Shop with knowledgeable staff
-Many different types of holes for all types of shots
-Different tee pads for different players
Cons: -Can lose a disc in the water and hard to get it back when you live in Ohio
Other Thoughts: I vacationed near by last year and just now decided to write a review (did not know this webiste existed). This is by far the best course I have ever played. Very fun with all types of holes. Some are extremely long, others are fairly short. The overall atmosphere of the course is amazing. Great signage and tee boxes. Baskets are excellent and easy to spot with the flags on top. Had was seemed to be the course owners dogs following me around while I played. I didnt mind though, very friendly. Interesting hole with two trees in front of the tee box, must throw in between them. Also a hole in the ground which I have never seen before.

All in all, this course is very unique and has a lot to offer. I have played numerous course near my hometown, but none of them are nearly as nice as this one. If you are in the area or vacationing like I was, I highly recommend playing. It is well worth the $5 and a wonderful experience.