Charleston (John's Island), SC
Trophy Lakes Share
Uploaded By: DavidSauls Hole #13 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #13 "Sunken" Basket

Favorite course to date

1    5/14/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: Christianlamb
Pros: Private course that really makes great use of the space provided. Two long and fairly wide lakes make great water shots that take your breath away at times. Plenty of long par 4's and some par 5's that will allow all players to test their arms. Plenty of variety here as well. Some hard left and right turns w/ some baskets that are somewhat elevated. One basket was in the ground, which I had never played. Signs were clearly marked that lead to the next tee. Concrete was well laid for tees as well.

The course also had a good pro shop w/ some friendly staff.
Cons: Baskets were not marked w/ numbers and many of the tees had faded pictures that did not show where to throw for the basket. One basket was moved from original location and I could not find it until I played the next hole. If you are not already a skilled player that has a handle on your drive then be prepared to lose more than one disc in the lakes.
Other Thoughts: Even though there were more than a couple cons for this course I still mark this as my favorite 18 holes to date. To put this in perspective I have only played 6 courses, but I have played some good ones.

Hometown go-to course

5+    2/22/2011   2/25/2011
Review By: Beachwail
This review was updated on 6/3/2011
Pros: Variety of open and wooded, long and short holes completely flat no real elevation changes at all.
Some picturesque baskets! Very well groomed and maintained. Top notch.
Ability to work short game and long game, nice variety of shots. 9 holes are under 300 feet. Red tees are fun and challenging, and Blue tees are pro-level and very challenging.
Secluded from public, very tranquil and private feeling.
Good pro shop, nice folks. Discraft and Innova great selection. Used discs for $5 each, some recovered from the lakes so you can get great plastic here if your timing is right!
Holes are very well marked, all Blue and Red tees are concrete and indicate distance.
No extreme woods here at all. Underbrush is minimal and lost discs are typically only due to water. Lots of open throws, lots of tree obstacles as well. Good mix.
Cons: Tee Maps are outdated/hard to follow.
Lots of water, some long water throws= lost discs.
Water is very deep at the edges, so often even 3 feet into the water is a goner disc.
3 baskets are within 15 feet of water's edge.
Championship watersports (water skiing, boating, etc) are weaving through the lakes during the warm season, can be distracting at times.
Other Thoughts: We play this course at least once a week and it never gets old! My dog comes out sometimes and walks the 2+miles per round, sloshes around in the lakes amidst the occasional white herons and orange sunsets. A beautiful place to play and get away from the hustle-bustle. Not a lot of noobs play here because it's intimidating with all the water. Everyone seems very respectful and nice. Looking forward to constant improvement in my game thanks to this course!
I play the Reds mostly. Here's my recap:
1. 260ft. Pretty wide open "upshot" with a tree in the center of the fairway. Choose anhyzer or hyzer and go for your ace run :)
2. 225ft. Throw a laser into a group of pines and oaks surrounding the basket. Another ace run opportunity.
3. 225ft. Heavier woods, tight fairway with a Discraft sign smack in the middle. Short hole with a few options from the tee--pick left, center, or right :)
4. 225ft. The tunnel shot of the course, not a super-tight one. Just fling your putter or mid straight as an arrow for an ace run. Elevated tee sits on a 5ft mound of dirt creating a difficult putting situation. Lay up for par or go for the risky birdie?
5. 275ft. Wide open fairway with heavy woods lining the left side. Some trees guarding the basket on its right side, but a straight shot works great.
(this is the end of "birdie row" as we call it...if you're throwing well the first 5 holes are easy birdies.)
6. 546ft. Par 4. Your drive has to span about 240ft over the lake. It's intimidating especially with winds whipping in your face! Then your 'long' upshot goes thru a forest of oaks and pines that allows for many lines. Water hazard along the right of the fairway.
7. 260ft. A technical shot that doglegs right around trees and the basket sits only 10 feet from water's edge, sloping down!!! Fairway is wide open, great flick shot.
8. 280ish?? Straight shot out of the woods edge, over water and the basket sits 15 feet from water's edge. Fairway is the "beach" where water is on the right. Very dangerous water here, mature large trees on the left.
9. 243ft. A bunch of pines in the fairway makes for some line selection on this shorter hole. Find your hole and you have an ace run. Basket sits in moderately dense woods edge.
10. 324ft. Signature Hole! Throw 300+ over water and land on the elevated basket perch. Very picturesque. Very dangerous too, basket has water on the right and behind! Straight or hyzer shot is wide open, just throw long and land on dirt!
11. 415ft. Par 4. Throw over about 150ft of water and into a bunch of trees. Large lake on right side of fairway as well. Big hyzer drive over the lake can get your eagle opp. Otherwise pick your lines thru the trees.
12. 380ft. Small arms needs to "lay up" because water starts about 200ft. up and you need to throw 300+ to span the water. Lines of trees prevent you from ripping your drive...has to be a well-placed shot to make it through. Mando on the right side.
13. 282ft. Signature hole. Two Mando's are 5 feet in front of the tee-box. they are about 4 feet apart and distracting!! Throw straight through them and down the tight fairway to the sunken basket, it only sticks about 1-2 feet out of the ground!!
14. 750ft. "The par 5". Follow the dirt road down the wide open fairway, 2 good drives and you're looking at easy birdie. End up in the woods on either side and it's trouble.
15. 260ft. Ace run. Wide open with one tree in the fairway and some water to about 150ft. Gentle RHBH hyzer/fade.
16. 450ft. Crazy out of bounds here, the hedges/posts hold a thick rope lining the road. You pretty much have to lay up in the fairway before the road and then weave your upshot next to the elevated basket. This is the basket you see when driving in to Trophy Lakes' entrance.
17. 273ft. Well-placed pines make for a tricky line, the rope/hedges on the right are OB. The blue tees have 300+ of water off the box!!
18. 380??? Water lines the right side of the fairway, OB road on the left side. Dense trees down the center...drive up on the beach near the water's edge for an easy upshot.

Plan to play all day

5+    11/20/2005   2/6/2011
Review By: filobedo
This review was updated on 11/20/2012
Pros: Private course and well maintained by Joe to the E and members of the CDGC and a challenge from the beginner tees, medium and long tees. Pro shop on site. Course has a mix of par 3s, 4s and a 5. The course continues to evolve throughout each year just as Stoney Hill does. The most recent addition is the elevated tee pad that took numerous man hours to build by a few CDGC members and the new benches next to teepads spearheaded by Mikey T and the great signs by Plays It Forward during the Fall of 2012. The course is pay to play which is the future of the sport. To keep this course in the ground, pay, $5 at the Pro Shop or put in the mailbox next to the door if closed. With this course being private they can pull it at anytime so please pay if you plan to play.
Cons: People that do not pay to play! Nothing is more frustrating than seeing people getting out of vehicles and heading to hole #1 without paying!
Other Thoughts: The gem in Charleston, SC!

Wow!!

2-4    12/28/2010   12/30/2010
Review By: N8malibu
Pros: Certainly in my top 3 favorite courses! A great second round may be partly why I enjoyed this course so much. Not super technical but the water hazards make for a very interesting day, great layout and use of terrain. Staff at the pro shop was friendly and helpful, bought and Innova beer coozie and a mini.
Cons: Signage didn't have pars listed for the reds. There's no bar on the course
Other Thoughts: Local turned me on to CharlestonDGC.com where I found a score card that had the pars and info on other local courses.

wet and wild spot

1    8/11/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: oki40484
Pros: skiers put on a great show compared to the discgetwet show i was putting on.
they got their own pro shop, lose your favorate disc they have you one waiting
Cons: we were the only ones camping

water is deep in spots, anti disc retrievable spots.
some reason i cannot putt when beutiful girls are out doin tricks on skis and wake boards.
Other Thoughts: don't try to ski like them girls, you will only get your feeling hurt.

40th course

1    7/18/2010   7/20/2010
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: Where to start? This course is friggin' awesome. The campground it's in rocks, and the landscape is just about as perfect as you can get. The upkeep is outstanding, and I love the personal touches that are strewn throughout the course. Let's cover the basics:

Great mix of shots - the front nine is a bit more techincal than the back, where bombs abound. Wooded holes placed in between water shots for a nice blend. Believe it or not, the wood shots will hurt your score more than the water; there are some tight gaps to thread through. Keep your shots low (if you can) for the best results. The water shots are breathtaking both in their beauty and menace. I was fortunate enough not to lose anything in the drink, although I'm sure many have.

All the pro tee pads (blue) are concrete. While the ams (red) are not, they do have something down over the dirt, whether it's a rubber pad or a persian area rug (awesome!). The variation in tee placement is great, offering not only more distance from the pro tees but different angles and lines from the ams.

Every hole (and almost every tee) has a sign with hole number and diagram. No vandalism here. There are also "next tee" directional signs between almost every hole that direct you to not only the next hole but to each coloured tee (a very big plus).

The professionalism put into this course blew me away. I'm not sure if I played on the tail-end of a tournament weekend or what, but I've never seen anything like this. Discraft banners up everywhere, logoed flags on top of every basket - "greens" were even created with spraypaint around the pins! Amazing.
Cons: My God I am hard-pressed to find anything wrong with this course. I can't really knock the lack of elevation because it's in Lowcountry. The only thing that irked me was that there weren't any distances listed on the tee signs. It had diagrams and everything which was great, but on hole 14 I had no idea how FAR the basket was. It was impossible to tell on the diagram. It was like a 900' hole, but the diagram made me think it was only 300' or 400'. I hate throwing vaguely in a generalized direction. However, this was the only hole in which I really felt lack of distance on the signs disrupted the round. If you think I'm nitpicking, you try to find something wrong with the course!
Other Thoughts: I am uploading a few new pictures, so check those out!

Love the hilltop basket on #4 and the sunken pin on #13. The thought and care put into this course is apparent.

The back nine is BRUTAL. I was unprepared for the length after the shorter front half, and I paid for it in my final score. But I don't care. What an experience - I highly recommend playing this course if you're in the area and even making it a travel destination.

I played hella early so the pro shop wasn't open, but it looked sweet from what I could tell. If it's closed, please put your five bucks in the drop box by the door. You won't regret it.

Lowcountry Challenge

5+    7/2/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: JoshuaWayneHester
This review was updated on 8/23/2011
Pros: Trophy Lakes features, an 18 hole course which all offer something unique for all skill levels. There are Blue tee's for more advanced and Red tee's for newer players.
Pros:
*Great Scenery with well kept maintance.
*Water hazzards are avoidable with minimum caution.
*Great pro shop with a great staff.
*Used disc for 5 bucks, in case you don't want to risk your favorite.
*Because the maintance is nice, very little wildlife to encounter.
*Alot of Tree's to help make a hot day feel cooler. Very few spots in direct sunlight.
*Very little noise, with it being set-up in an isolated location.
Cons: *Water Hazzards (7) A newer player may find this somewhat annoying. Although it is avoidable, mistakes can and will happen.
*The risk of losing a disc, I would recommend buying some used plastic at the pro shop and throwing those.
Other Thoughts: When I first started playing disc golf, I thought "How hard is it to throw a frisbee into a basket". Well, about 4 triple bogeys later, I found out how hard. I was hooked. I didn't care how long it would take to learn...I knew I liked this sport and wanted to get better. You know that feeling, everybody who has played disc golf knows it....Well, if you think your hooked to disc golf, play this course. Because you will be hooked to this disc golf course. In my opinion, well worth 5 bucks!

Aqua-Gold

1    4/7/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: OzzyMac
Pros: Lots of variety. Dual tees from different locations make for even more variety. Beautiful surroundings, great pro shop with a huge selection of discs and a knowledgable staff. Only lost one disc and it was destined for the lake (bent so it always turned sideways). Travelled an hour for this from Goose Creek (on a vacation from Buffalo, NY). I played 5 courses on this vacation and this was by far the best one.

Hole 13 is buried into the ground, which is a very unique feature.
Cons: Couldn't throw from the concrete teepads because they were still wet. A few of the small areas of the course had a horrid stench (near the water). I could see myself going through a LOT of plastic if this course was closer.
Other Thoughts: I was able to play the course on a day when it was closed. I begged and pleaded since I was from out of town, they let me slide. Spent $20 in the shop to show my appreciation.

Also, the course has a cool watersports aspect. The lakes have ramps that you could do waterski stunts and whatnot, nice little addition to an already cool place.

Take the Red tee or the Blue tee.

1    4/10/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 3/22/2011
Pros: -Pro Shop has nice selection of discs, apparel and accessories. (Innova and Discraft) They also have maps, scorecards, and pencils available.
-This is not a beginner's course.
-multiple tee's (Red & Blue)
-Cement Tee's
-Tee Signs w/ Maps
-Navigates nicely around the lake, and back to the Pro shop.
-The disc golf course is separated and by itself. (No parks, bike trails, or playground) The only people you should see on the course are other Disc Golfers.
-Trophy Lakes is what water holes are all about. If you have any floater discs, now is the time to break them out. Or throw discs you don't mind parting with. These can be long water shots as well!
-If you aren't throwing over water, you'll be working a line around trees. Not overly tight, but spread out just enough that you'll have to find that "right" line.
-Unique and challenging pin placement. (See hole #15! They should put a mando sign up, just for fun)
-Whether you choose the red tee or choose the blue tee, you will still be challenged. The red tee's offer their own challenges. They just offer less risk on the water holes. That doesn't mean you won't lose a disc, it just means that your odds of leaving with all of your discs are better
- The holes at Trophy Lakes will make you really consider your approach strategy. Some holes will require you to make a short drive, in order to play your second shot from the waters edge.
-The blue tees offer some healthy distance challenges, with 6 holes that are 500ft+ and two that are over 600ft. The blue tee water holes are very challenging. Whereas most of the red tee's tee off from the waters edge, blue tees can be at least 100ft further back.
-The red tee's have their own challenges and still have good distance. One red tee is 546ft. The Red tees will still require you to contend with the water holes. Do not underestimate the red tees!
-Big fun factor for me, even though I still lost 2 discs that day!
-FWIW: Watching the skiers in the background can enhance the experience. I really enjoyed watching them.

Cons: *I do not believe these detract from the course score in any way, I just felt they were worth the mention.
-The terrain is flat, but this IS Low-country South Carolina. Good luck finding a hill!
-Maps on the tees were a bit faded, but the Map and Scorecard from the pro shop make up for that.
-Some of the holes on the back 9 can cause you to cross paths with other Golfers. I walked right into the middle of a group playing, and was not aware of it! I felt horrible! They were nice about my disruption! I was playing on hole 11, so when you walk around the inlet of water. Be mindful that you have to cross the fairway of Hole 12 to do it.
-Once you start hole 6, you are committed to playing the rest of the course. I didn't see any Porto's back there, so be mindful of that before you start. If you have to make an emergency run to the B'room, you'll have to run around the lake. Just a heads up!
Other Thoughts: Trophy Lakes had a big "Fun Factor" for me. I drove from over an hour away to play here, and I felt like it was well worth the drive! I had no problem paying 5$ to play this course, for me, it was money well spent. I don't know how everyone one will feel about the "in ground" basket, but I was amused by it. . This course doesn't require hiking shoes; tennis shoes will be fine here. You will want to bring discs that you don't mind parting with. Also, you may want to eat first or bring something to snack on. I didn't pass many restaurants on the way in, though there were a few gas stations along the way to the course.
This course is the top course for the Charleston area, but Trophy Lakes is not for everyone. Trophy Lakes could become very frustrating to beginners or those that would have a hard time with the course. When you play Trophy Lakes you will need to stop and think about how you will throw each hole! No two holes play the same. I started off playing the blue tees, simply because I like to throw for the distance. I changed my mind, once I got to the water holes and opted for the easier, less risky routes. I still ended up losing 2 discs to the water anyway. I had a great time, and I can't wait to come back here and do it again! (Playing the course, not losing 2 discs! :) )

Oh my, where did my disc go?

1    11/14/2009   1/3/2010
Review By: Shodai
Pros: Very challenging, well designed and fun to play. Great scenery, good service at the pro shop and you may even get back your lost discs... eventually. Dont let lost discs discourage you. Its a nice place to play and learn what you're lacking in your personal game. Well worth the drive and the 5 bucks.
Cons: Only con I have is the long throws over water. Not everyone has a canon for an arm, including myself and it took almost year before my game was good enough to make it across the lake on a couple of holes. Have lost a couple of discs out there but then again, so have the pros. This problem can be remedied with practice somewhere else. Did not lose any discs my last time out though.
Other Thoughts: Have played a couple of times and will play again. As my game improves, I'll frequent the course more often. By the way, write your name and number on your discs and they may call you when they dive for discs on occasion. 3 dollar fee is peanuts next to getting your favorite disc back.