Charleston (John's Island), SC
Trophy Lakes Share

Wow!!

2-4    12/28/2010   12/30/2010
Review By: N8malibu
Pros: Certainly in my top 3 favorite courses! A great second round may be partly why I enjoyed this course so much. Not super technical but the water hazards make for a very interesting day, great layout and use of terrain. Staff at the pro shop was friendly and helpful, bought and Innova beer coozie and a mini.
Cons: Signage didn't have pars listed for the reds. There's no bar on the course
Other Thoughts: Local turned me on to CharlestonDGC.com where I found a score card that had the pars and info on other local courses.

wet and wild spot

1    8/11/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: oki40484
Pros: skiers put on a great show compared to the discgetwet show i was putting on.
they got their own pro shop, lose your favorate disc they have you one waiting
Cons: we were the only ones camping

water is deep in spots, anti disc retrievable spots.
some reason i cannot putt when beutiful girls are out doin tricks on skis and wake boards.
Other Thoughts: don't try to ski like them girls, you will only get your feeling hurt.

40th course

1    7/18/2010   7/20/2010
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: Where to start? This course is friggin' awesome. The campground it's in rocks, and the landscape is just about as perfect as you can get. The upkeep is outstanding, and I love the personal touches that are strewn throughout the course. Let's cover the basics:

Great mix of shots - the front nine is a bit more techincal than the back, where bombs abound. Wooded holes placed in between water shots for a nice blend. Believe it or not, the wood shots will hurt your score more than the water; there are some tight gaps to thread through. Keep your shots low (if you can) for the best results. The water shots are breathtaking both in their beauty and menace. I was fortunate enough not to lose anything in the drink, although I'm sure many have.

All the pro tee pads (blue) are concrete. While the ams (red) are not, they do have something down over the dirt, whether it's a rubber pad or a persian area rug (awesome!). The variation in tee placement is great, offering not only more distance from the pro tees but different angles and lines from the ams.

Every hole (and almost every tee) has a sign with hole number and diagram. No vandalism here. There are also "next tee" directional signs between almost every hole that direct you to not only the next hole but to each coloured tee (a very big plus).

The professionalism put into this course blew me away. I'm not sure if I played on the tail-end of a tournament weekend or what, but I've never seen anything like this. Discraft banners up everywhere, logoed flags on top of every basket - "greens" were even created with spraypaint around the pins! Amazing.
Cons: My God I am hard-pressed to find anything wrong with this course. I can't really knock the lack of elevation because it's in Lowcountry. The only thing that irked me was that there weren't any distances listed on the tee signs. It had diagrams and everything which was great, but on hole 14 I had no idea how FAR the basket was. It was impossible to tell on the diagram. It was like a 900' hole, but the diagram made me think it was only 300' or 400'. I hate throwing vaguely in a generalized direction. However, this was the only hole in which I really felt lack of distance on the signs disrupted the round. If you think I'm nitpicking, you try to find something wrong with the course!
Other Thoughts: I am uploading a few new pictures, so check those out!

Love the hilltop basket on #4 and the sunken pin on #13. The thought and care put into this course is apparent.

The back nine is BRUTAL. I was unprepared for the length after the shorter front half, and I paid for it in my final score. But I don't care. What an experience - I highly recommend playing this course if you're in the area and even making it a travel destination.

I played hella early so the pro shop wasn't open, but it looked sweet from what I could tell. If it's closed, please put your five bucks in the drop box by the door. You won't regret it.

Lowcountry Challenge

5+    7/2/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: JoshuaWayneHester
This review was updated on 8/23/2011
Pros: Trophy Lakes features, an 18 hole course which all offer something unique for all skill levels. There are Blue tee's for more advanced and Red tee's for newer players.
Pros:
*Great Scenery with well kept maintance.
*Water hazzards are avoidable with minimum caution.
*Great pro shop with a great staff.
*Used disc for 5 bucks, in case you don't want to risk your favorite.
*Because the maintance is nice, very little wildlife to encounter.
*Alot of Tree's to help make a hot day feel cooler. Very few spots in direct sunlight.
*Very little noise, with it being set-up in an isolated location.
Cons: *Water Hazzards (7) A newer player may find this somewhat annoying. Although it is avoidable, mistakes can and will happen.
*The risk of losing a disc, I would recommend buying some used plastic at the pro shop and throwing those.
Other Thoughts: When I first started playing disc golf, I thought "How hard is it to throw a frisbee into a basket". Well, about 4 triple bogeys later, I found out how hard. I was hooked. I didn't care how long it would take to learn...I knew I liked this sport and wanted to get better. You know that feeling, everybody who has played disc golf knows it....Well, if you think your hooked to disc golf, play this course. Because you will be hooked to this disc golf course. In my opinion, well worth 5 bucks!

Aqua-Gold

1    4/7/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: OzzyMac
Pros: Lots of variety. Dual tees from different locations make for even more variety. Beautiful surroundings, great pro shop with a huge selection of discs and a knowledgable staff. Only lost one disc and it was destined for the lake (bent so it always turned sideways). Travelled an hour for this from Goose Creek (on a vacation from Buffalo, NY). I played 5 courses on this vacation and this was by far the best one.

Hole 13 is buried into the ground, which is a very unique feature.
Cons: Couldn't throw from the concrete teepads because they were still wet. A few of the small areas of the course had a horrid stench (near the water). I could see myself going through a LOT of plastic if this course was closer.
Other Thoughts: I was able to play the course on a day when it was closed. I begged and pleaded since I was from out of town, they let me slide. Spent $20 in the shop to show my appreciation.

Also, the course has a cool watersports aspect. The lakes have ramps that you could do waterski stunts and whatnot, nice little addition to an already cool place.

Take the Red tee or the Blue tee.

1    4/10/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 3/22/2011
Pros: -Pro Shop has nice selection of discs, apparel and accessories. (Innova and Discraft) They also have maps, scorecards, and pencils available.
-This is not a beginner's course.
-multiple tee's (Red & Blue)
-Cement Tee's
-Tee Signs w/ Maps
-Navigates nicely around the lake, and back to the Pro shop.
-The disc golf course is separated and by itself. (No parks, bike trails, or playground) The only people you should see on the course are other Disc Golfers.
-Trophy Lakes is what water holes are all about. If you have any floater discs, now is the time to break them out. Or throw discs you don't mind parting with. These can be long water shots as well!
-If you aren't throwing over water, you'll be working a line around trees. Not overly tight, but spread out just enough that you'll have to find that "right" line.
-Unique and challenging pin placement. (See hole #15! They should put a mando sign up, just for fun)
-Whether you choose the red tee or choose the blue tee, you will still be challenged. The red tee's offer their own challenges. They just offer less risk on the water holes. That doesn't mean you won't lose a disc, it just means that your odds of leaving with all of your discs are better
- The holes at Trophy Lakes will make you really consider your approach strategy. Some holes will require you to make a short drive, in order to play your second shot from the waters edge.
-The blue tees offer some healthy distance challenges, with 6 holes that are 500ft+ and two that are over 600ft. The blue tee water holes are very challenging. Whereas most of the red tee's tee off from the waters edge, blue tees can be at least 100ft further back.
-The red tee's have their own challenges and still have good distance. One red tee is 546ft. The Red tees will still require you to contend with the water holes. Do not underestimate the red tees!
-Big fun factor for me, even though I still lost 2 discs that day!
-FWIW: Watching the skiers in the background can enhance the experience. I really enjoyed watching them.

Cons: *I do not believe these detract from the course score in any way, I just felt they were worth the mention.
-The terrain is flat, but this IS Low-country South Carolina. Good luck finding a hill!
-Maps on the tees were a bit faded, but the Map and Scorecard from the pro shop make up for that.
-Some of the holes on the back 9 can cause you to cross paths with other Golfers. I walked right into the middle of a group playing, and was not aware of it! I felt horrible! They were nice about my disruption! I was playing on hole 11, so when you walk around the inlet of water. Be mindful that you have to cross the fairway of Hole 12 to do it.
-Once you start hole 6, you are committed to playing the rest of the course. I didn't see any Porto's back there, so be mindful of that before you start. If you have to make an emergency run to the B'room, you'll have to run around the lake. Just a heads up!
Other Thoughts: Trophy Lakes had a big "Fun Factor" for me. I drove from over an hour away to play here, and I felt like it was well worth the drive! I had no problem paying 5$ to play this course, for me, it was money well spent. I don't know how everyone one will feel about the "in ground" basket, but I was amused by it. . This course doesn't require hiking shoes; tennis shoes will be fine here. You will want to bring discs that you don't mind parting with. Also, you may want to eat first or bring something to snack on. I didn't pass many restaurants on the way in, though there were a few gas stations along the way to the course.
This course is the top course for the Charleston area, but Trophy Lakes is not for everyone. Trophy Lakes could become very frustrating to beginners or those that would have a hard time with the course. When you play Trophy Lakes you will need to stop and think about how you will throw each hole! No two holes play the same. I started off playing the blue tees, simply because I like to throw for the distance. I changed my mind, once I got to the water holes and opted for the easier, less risky routes. I still ended up losing 2 discs to the water anyway. I had a great time, and I can't wait to come back here and do it again! (Playing the course, not losing 2 discs! :) )

Oh my, where did my disc go?

1    11/14/2009   1/3/2010
Review By: Shodai
Pros: Very challenging, well designed and fun to play. Great scenery, good service at the pro shop and you may even get back your lost discs... eventually. Dont let lost discs discourage you. Its a nice place to play and learn what you're lacking in your personal game. Well worth the drive and the 5 bucks.
Cons: Only con I have is the long throws over water. Not everyone has a canon for an arm, including myself and it took almost year before my game was good enough to make it across the lake on a couple of holes. Have lost a couple of discs out there but then again, so have the pros. This problem can be remedied with practice somewhere else. Did not lose any discs my last time out though.
Other Thoughts: Have played a couple of times and will play again. As my game improves, I'll frequent the course more often. By the way, write your name and number on your discs and they may call you when they dive for discs on occasion. 3 dollar fee is peanuts next to getting your favorite disc back.

Just a blast to play!

5+    8/15/2009   10/14/2009
Review By: Angus2053
Pros: I like the fact that there are red and blue tees for every hole. It is a good mix of water and wooded holes. Makes you use every shot type in your bag.
Cons: There are multiple water holes so there is a very good chance that you will lose a disc or two even if your not playing off the red tees. The signs for the holes are a little confusing when it came to moving about the course, but if you get a map at the office this problem will be fixed. Also not all the tee boxes are concrete and I think with a little upgrade it could help a bunch!
Other Thoughts: A really well designed and fun course to play. The staff at the office are friendly and will to help with anything. I have played with many people and some have conplained about the 5 dollar fee to play. My stance on the fee is that it helps keep the course up! If your in Charleston for the weekend or live near by I would def check out the course and by the end of the 18th hole you will know where you need to work on your game!

Trophy Lakes - It's a splash

1    8/18/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: Tin Machine
Pros: This course can definitely take you to your limit in terms of strategy. Trophy Lakes offers you two different sets of tee boxes to play from on all but one hole, and the difference in difficulty between the two sets can be quite a lot. From the pro tees, you'll find yourself at times quite a ways further from the pin and sometimes with a substantial water hazard between you and safety. You'll definitely need a full set of tricks up your sleeve, or in your bag as it would seem.

Lovely environment. The lakes offer a lot of beauty and even some cool wildlife nearby... not to mention the unique pleasure of getting to see some water skiers doing tricks while you play. It's private and isolated nature also let you play without the interference from the general public that you can often find in public parks.
Cons: As much as the water is a pro, it can be a con if you make poor throws or decisions. Make sure you plan out your attack and disc selection before you throw, as it could be your last with that particular disc. Even if you're the type that will go in the water after your discs, you won't be able to here as there are tons of "Absolutely NO Swimming" signs due to the boats and skiers.

The summer sun and heat can also be a downer due to the overall length of the course, but that'll be the case wherever you play in the south. Just make sure you bring sunscreen and bug spray.

Also, make sure you get a map at the clubhouse, as it will save you time finding the baskets and/or tee pads.
Other Thoughts: The $5 fee to play isn't really that bad, considering it's a great course and it will probably keep out those who aren't serious about the sport. They also sell discs and equipment at the clubhouse, which can be good if you need to replace any lost plastic.

All in all, a great course with lots to offer. It is definitely different than your "run of the mill" course. If you're around Charleston and in the mood for a challenge, this course is a must!

TROPHY LAKES

1    7/9/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: TSchneidz2
Pros: This is a very challenging course with tons of natural beauty. The course is quite long from the Blue tees with many challenging carries over the two lakes used for water skiing and wakeboarding.
Cons: While the $5 fee is pretty insignificant, the value of the discs you could easily lose would add up very quickly.
Other Thoughts: If you are a disc golfer, beginner or advanced, this is a course you should check out as it will challenge you and make you a better player.