North Garden, VA
Walnut Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: Olorin Hole #7 (Taken 2/2010)
3 / 210ft.   3 / 257ft.   3 / 231ft.   4 / 328ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #7 Blue Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
One of the best courses in VA

1    9/16/2010   10/12/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: This is a picturesque Disc Golf Course. It is everything you could possibly hope for in the setting. It is absolutely spectacular in the fall when the leaves are changing colors. It's a great mix of open and technical shots that will provide a challenge and element of fun for all levels of play. It's dog friendly so you can bring along a companion, and it's a great place to play with a group of friends. This course is easily one of my top 5 favorite courses ever played. I would play this again any day with any one.
Cons: Discs have a tendency to hide in the leaves. It's a lot of wooded shots with huge oak trees and tons of leaves on the ground. Watch your shots carefully.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I ever played, and I've used it as the basis of comparison for ever course I've played since. If you're within 2 hours of this course, it is a must play.

2-4    10/7/2016   10/10/2016
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is one of the rare courses that has two tee pads and two baskets on every hole. It's not easy to do, and I love it when it happens.

There is a really an impressive mix of moderate elevation changes, wooded holes, open holes, and even some water holes. Some of my favorites:

Hole 2 has a downhill water carry that is pretty easy from either tee unless you clip a tree.

Hole 17 is an empty-the-bag shot down a steep hill to baskets on a right-to-left slope. It was pretty tough to get the right range on my shots but a ton of fun trying.

Hole 18's long basket creates a beautiful hole (I didn't get to play the long baskets, unfortunately). You need to throw a straight RHBH hyzer to a landing area before negotiating the water carry to a basket just inside the woods on the other side. However, for huge arms, there is a 365-foot water carry to the basket. I could see this being a great tournament-ending hole where someone in Open or AM1 has to go for it to make up a stroke.

Even in wet conditions, the carpeted pads were grippy (they look like Astroturf). I liked that they were blue and green to differentiate the long and short pads. The tee signs are top notch, showing the distances and lines from all basket and tee combinations.
Cons: Creekbeds come into play a little more than I'd like, and there is some backtracking on holes to cross over them. They were dry but muddy, and climbing down into them was a pain.

Navigation was sometimes not immediately obvious. In general go toward the long basket and look for a path and you'll find your way.

It's tough to create holes where all four combinations of tee and basket have reasonable lines, and on a few you have to throw a boring short shot to set up a reasonable next shot. This isn't so much a con as a counterpoint to the pro of having two tees and two baskets.
Other Thoughts: This is the kind of park you could spend a lot of time at. The swimming area looks great and is the kind of place you'd tell yourself you'll hit after a summer round when in reality you'll end up going for a beer again. Still, I liked the vibe here a lot. I can't remember a single bad hole, and even in rainy conditions I had a great time.

Work out

1    10/4/2016   10/4/2016
Review By: ericfriesr
Pros: Elevation. Elevation. Elevation! I have never played a course this nice. It has rolling hills, tight woods, long shots, short shots, 4 total layouts to play, tunnel shots, water hazards. It requires you to use all discs and all sorts of throws. The tee signs were basic, however totally helpful. No reason you cannot find a tee or basket based on those signs.
Cons: The elevation is one of the things of love the most about this course. That being said, there are several holes where you tee off and either go over a hill, down a hill and around a corner, or just big doglegs in the woods. I played for the first time today and was alone. I looked and looked on some holes for my drives. It thankfully isn't super thick woods with nasty thorns or anything, but difficult nevertheless. (looked for 20 min on I believe hole 12. Long basket is off to the right, down a hill, then straight back through a very narrow channel in the woods)

Also 17 Short to Long. I looked for 10 minutes to find my disc in the woods about 30 feet to the left of the pin. (No I didn't deuce).
Other Thoughts: I have lived in Richmond for 5 years and have been playing disc golf for 2. Absolutely bummed out that it took me this long to come play it. Probably my favorite course that I have ever played. Navigation wasn't as hard as people on here made it seem. I took a screenshot of the map on here (thankfully I did it because my phone had no signal to look it up when there), but it wasn't bad. Only somewhat confusing spot was the field which encompasses holes 2,3,5,6.

Looking at the hole info on here and the suggested par, I was thinking I was going to have a long day ahead of me. I played Long to Long Long to Short, Short to Long and then was a bit too tired to walk this course again for Short to Short. but I shot under suggested par each time and I left A LOT of putts out there. My strength is off the tee, but I shouldn't deuce a par 4.

No joke, this is a hike and a half. I am a fit dude with good joints, but it was tiring. Not for the faint of heart.

Awesome Course!

1    6/28/2016   7/7/2016
Review By: DavidNC
Pros: I was passing through the area and decided to take a detour to play this course; and, am I glad I did. This course is a true GEM in the purest since of the word. As others have already mentioned, a well thought out course in a beautiful setting. This course employs every single shot type there is; if you have a weakness in your game, you will find it here. I only wish I had time for a second round.

Each hole has multiple tees & baskets; it is possible to play 72 different holes here. The "short" tee mats are the lighter color (green I believe, as I am color blind); the "long" tees are the dark (black) mats.
Cons: None come to mind as Navigation, though a problem, has been remedied by the links on this site (see Below)
Other Thoughts: Navigation can be difficult and some of the signage, especially that which is out in the open, has been weathered and hard to read. I cannot stress this enough, TAKE A COPY OF THE COURSE MAP WITH YOU! The map linked to on this site is perfect. Cell reception in the area can be spotty and you may not be able to download any course info while playing.

Also, if you are not in the best of physical condition, you may not wish to tackle this course without a partner to keep an eye on you. The course is very rugged. You will get a decent workout.

And, depending on the time of year, bug spray and/or sunscreen are a good idea. There are many holes in the woods; but the few in the open will allow the sun enough time to work on you. Also might be a good idea (and possibly a pleasurable one :P ), to have a friend perform a thorough tick check after playing. Who knows? Having that done could add to the great experience this course will have already provided. HA!

Charlottesville's Best Disc Golf Course

5+    3/11/2016   3/14/2016
Review By: swedishplastic
Pros: For starters, if I were a disc born and thrown in Central Virginia, my last wishes would to be lost after being tossed in "The Tub" at the bottom of Hole 17 at Walnut Creek. This is certainly the finest local hole for any disc's final resting place. (And potentially resurrected by one of the local snorkelers if you use a Sharpie...)

Anyway, this course is hands-down the headiest in the Charlottesville area. With everything from fair wooded fairways to open fields with beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain views, the variety of Walnut Creek keeps disc life spicy, salty AND sweet. In an ideal world, be sure to time your round to be perched up at Hole 17 around sunset for surely one of the more picturesque "Top of the World" style holes ever.
Cons: Yes the signage could be better, yes it could be free to play (it mostly is, depending on the time of year and how "attendant" the parking lot attendant is), and yes there could be free beers and snacks and live bands at every tee-box 24/7, but come on - don't be that guy. Just be happy to have 36 sets of dangling chains in such a beautiful area, 20 minutes south of Charlottesville.

1.) Hole 1 can be tricky to find upon first visit. From the parking lot, go past the Disc Golf sign, through the open air pavilion, and down to the left towards the lake.
2.) Holes 2 and 17 are great spots to discretely celebrate not losing your disc in the water.
3.) Watch out for an old barbed wire fence that runs about 10 yards deep in the woods on the left side of the fairway for Holes 12 & 13. A lot of it has been pushed to the ground at this point, but still.
4.) Cell phone service is very limited.
5.) By joining the Blue Ridge Disc Golf Club ($20 annually), it gets you 50% off a season pass entrance to Walnut Creek. This essentially pays for the club membership itself, and is a great way to support the local throwers.

Virginia deserves more like this

1    12/26/2014   12/27/2014
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: Variety, Variety, Variety. You'll find big downhill bombs, uphill bombs, putter tosses, tunnel shots, doglegs, water hazards, everything and then some.

Not only are there variety on the course as a whole, every hole also has 2 tees and 2 permanent baskets. Yes, you heard right, 4 permanent "alternate" holes per hole. There is a seemingly endless combination of layouts you could play.

Inherent with this much variety, you'll be testing every aspect of your game. This isn't likely a place for beginners. It's more of a place for serious players to hone their skills with each shot. Unfortunately, it's a little too easy to be truly "championship" level. It would benefit greatly from a "Gold" layout.

Hole 17 is one of the best single holes I've ever played. I can't think of very many off hand that are more fun to throw on than "the Nut's" signature hole. It's a GIANT downhill bomb to the long position (which I recommend playing over the short). There is a creek at the bottom with a nicely manicured rock surrounding (OB). On the opposite side of the ridge near the top of the hill is a giant lake which I'm sure has claimed a lot of plastic.
Cons: There are tee signs on most tee pads, but they seem to be pretty old and are in need of a professional update.

Navigation, especially with this many hole layouts involved, is a little confusing unless you're a regular. This was my first time playing and luckily had a local meet me to play. I would highly recommend playing with someone (It's the only course around and there will likely be someone there when you arrive).

The tee pads are carpet/turf type. These aren't the worst, but they aren't the best either. I'd love to see some concrete pads out here, but the logistics of pouring it would be a formidable obstacle to say the least.

Some holes have some nice "natural" benches, but I'd love to see some more seating. I imagine waiting to throw happens often as this is a highly trafficked course, along with the hiking involved.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the most well rounded courses in Virginia and among the best as well. The landscape is perfect for golf. This course only needs some tee/amenities upgrades to be truly spectacular.

Worth the Drive-From Anywhere

1    10/13/2014   10/14/2014
Review By: SMontgomery
Pros: Walnut Creek is a phenomenal course. The layout and variety of shots are amazing. This is one of the few courses that had me pulling out every disc in my bag. I will often times use only two or three discs thoughout an entire round. Not at WC...I was using putters mids fairways distance and utility discs. Bring the're going to use them all.

The teepads are great and I played after a rain and didnt slip once on a pad. Being turf covered and not concrete you could wear any kind of athletic shoe and feel comfortable.
Cons: The tee signs!!!!!! Some were good many were not. There was one on hole three that was only broken bits and not one word can be made out.

Also a course map would be great. Some of the holes on the front can get confussing with you see multiple baskets in the fairway.
Other Thoughts: I would drive for hours to play this course. It is in my top 5 in the country. It is a nice peaceful hike that uses the terrain and foliage to create a very challenging and competitve course.

One of my favs around

5+    8/16/2014   8/25/2014
Review By: HannibalRex
Pros: Very nice course, great layout, many options between alternate pins and pads. Good distance and some nice short ones. Technical throughout, but playable for pro to rookie. Beautiful trails along the lake, and beautiful views.
Cons: Signs could use a little work, pads are probably going to need attention before long. All in all I can't say much negative about this course. There's a few spots where it can be difficult to find the next pad if you're new to the park, but print a guide and you'll be fine.
Other Thoughts: Coast-to-coast this is in my top 10. It's peacful, fun, nice mix of up and down, short and long, tight and technical, with some nice open distance thrown in. Depending on the time of year some of the foliage is a little thick, but I've never had too much problem. Never too busy, not littered and messed up, very nice place. If you go during the summer season you have to pay the park entrance fee, I think $3 or $3.50, but totally worth it. #17 is my fav, very long, and from way up the hill, it's pretty cool, just make sure you don't use an over stable disc and break hard right toward the lake - yes, I shot a disc into the water like a meteor from there...

First time playing, will return

1    8/23/2014   8/23/2014
Review By: YoBerger
Pros: Really liked the combinations of tees and holes. Some beautiful views and well layed out to take advantage of lake, fields, and woods.
Cons: Some of the signs are damaged and unreadable.
Other Thoughts: Played this after heavy rains, but not too muddy. Brought my 10 yr old son along and we were able to play together off the same tees and then white baskets for him and blues for me. Worked out well.

The Walnut Firecracker!

1    6/14/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Dual color coded boxed astroturf tees and dual color coded baskets on just about every hole provide multiple playing options. Phenomenal use of the available elevation and terrain and dam. Challenges include white and blue level par 3s and 4s with every variety of elevation changes, lengths, water, hardwoods and line shaping. Fun factor here is also great. Two loops of 9 holes back to parking lot is very much appreciated on a course with this much hiking elevation and distance. Navigation and signage is pretty good now, kiosk in parking lot with sign describing how to get to hole 1. Well maintained and very little underbrush. Bathrooms, water fountain, pavilion, beach, swimming, fishing, mountain biking, hiking, beautiful views overlooking the lake.
Cons: Very minor things. No Gold level layout. Short basket on hole 10 is right in the path of the long basket. A few holes play a little too close to the next hole. Could use signs on both tees and numbers on baskets but it's really not hard to figure out. Decent chance to lose a disc in water. High slope = roll aways. Hiking trail near a few holes, other people around the park, but doesn't seem to interfere with holes much. Could use some benches. Biting flies in summer, found tick on leg after round.

Not really a con, $3/day to play in the summer, well worth it. Might be too hard for rank beginners and people that aren't physically able to hike the elevation.
Other Thoughts: Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Charlottesville, Walnut Creek is one of the most B-E-A-utiful courses I've played and it might be the best blue or advanced level course I've ever played. This course should be rated much higher than it is. The previous low rated reviews can be ignored since the major navigational and signage issues have been addressed by the local club for the most part, I only had to refer to the map to figure out which baskets were on hole 5 vs 6, and after hole 12 you backtrack instead of following the path to 16. Hole 2 sports a sign about the legend of Stud Muffin's review on here, lol.

Hole 2 reminds me of Deer Lakes signature hole 15 over the pond. Hole 3 is open bomb sloping uphill to a basket slightly tucked into the woods. Hole 5 is a par 4 with elevated tee across the street and the basket on a downslope and the lake behind it, reminds me of Moraine's signature hole 15 with the Lake in the backdrop. Hole 6 is then a monster par 4 back uphill. The next 7 holes takes you through a gauntlet of heavily lined wooded fairways and ravines. Hole 13 is a flat par 4 bomber hole with a little trouble right off the tee, then mostly open middle section and then the basket tucked 100' back through some hardwoods. Holes 14 and 15 test your U-turn skillz in the opposite directions.

Then comes the crescendo of perhaps the greatest 3 finishing holes. Hole 16 has an elevated tee with slight hyzer wooded fairway and ravine to the basket on a very fast sloping green. Hole 17 is probably the signature hole here, it's one of the most unique and memorable holes I've played as it drops almost 100' vertically with ob water to the right of the dam and ob mini waterfall left of the basket and fast right to left slope to the basket. What a hole, but hold the phone, there's still number 18! Hole 18 features a drive to a peninsula green to the short basket or landing area to the long basket, if shooting to the long basket you then have a water carry to a fast sloping island green.

So with all that said, I'm tempted to throw a 5 Disc Rating at Walnut Creek. It's one of the easiest 4.5's I've given. I put Walnut Creek in a similar category to Moraine, Deer Lakes and Nockamixon, but the main difference is that those have gold level layouts and Walnut Creek is only a white and blue level course so it's a little shorter, but also a little more fun. It would be nice if there was another high quality course in the area to make this more of a destination, but at any rate I still highly recommend anyone play this course, it's Virginia's finest public course!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5