Stephens City, VA

< Prev 1 2 3
Fun and Nice

1    10/15/2013   10/16/2013
Review By: JMcCon
Pros: -Easy to follow and beautiful park with the course off to its self.
-Variety of holes
-Good for all different skill levels
-Like how it loops around

Cons: -Only bad thing is the hike to the first tee/course area. Luckily i knew from the other reviews where to look for it at.
Other Thoughts: Fun course to check out. I was in the area for the day and it made a fun little game never being there before. I will go back when near by. I suggest you go as well if you are in town.

This is my go-to course!

5+    3/18/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: amlenke
Pros: Well established course that hosts a local club that keeps the place on the up and up as well as returns lost discs. Hosts many events and there is almost always someone friendly and often challenging to play with whether you know them or not. Many of the phenominal area players make this their home course. This course has a great layout with two loops of 9 for quick 9 hole games or full 18. 1 and 9 are right next to each other for easy start and finish short loops. The design is easy to follow and they have nice concrete pads throughout. There are also multiple basket placements that are only moved for tourney play.
Cons: The baskets are never moved unless there are tournaments. Two of the concrete pads should be redone; hole number 5 pad slopes down while throwing up hill and hole number 16 slopes up while throwing over a slight rise (I have busted my butt on both when the concrete was wet on more than one occasion though I now know how to compansate for it).
On a windy day, this course is down right brutal and the ravine to the left of hole 11 has eaten a good number of my discs over the years (usually to be replaced with others found in the same spot, and yes I always call if there is a number on it)
Other Thoughts: All and all my favorite and I guess I would consider this my home course. Playing the full 18 is like a warm up on the first 9, with the second 9 being more technical. This course will challenge right handed players as it does have a large amount of right handed doglegs that appeal to lefties. Great course for teaching someone to play, not as long or as confusing as other longer more wooded courses. Make sure you write your name and number on your discs if you play here as you have a pretty good chance of someone calling you if they found it. Also make sure you join our club in the links if you play there a lot for additional challenges and fun.

One of my favorite courses

5+    5/17/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
This review was updated on 3/19/2013
Pros: This is still one of my favorite course that I've played on so far. I first learned how to play disc golf on this course and after playing 20+ more courses afterwards, it remains one of my favorites. Great course for beginners to learn on, but still challenging for more advanced players
- Great tee signage and concrete tee pads
- beautiful beautiful course, with a great mix of open and wooded holes. some require distance, some require accuracy and finesse.
- very easily navigated, course flow makes alot of sense
- cool practice putting area
- secluded, you will never run into other park goers unless they're playing disc golf
Cons: - I really don't have any major complaints. The only thing this course lacks is elevation. I love throwing downhill and there is no such hole on this course.
- Its a bit of a walk from the parking lot to the first tee. I don't mind this as much because this is what allows the course to be secluded from other park goers. However I'm mentioning it as some people will view this as a con.
Other Thoughts: Overall one of my favorites if not my top favorite course played. Besides not having a "top of the world" type of hole to throw downhill, I have no major complaints about this course and I miss it alot now that I'm back in California. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area. Locals are extremely friendly (as are most DG'ers in general).

Play it more than once

2-4    7/7/2012   7/8/2012
Review By: zubeala
Pros: Good signage, though "Next Tee" directions would be helpful.
Excellent concrete t pads...nice and long. Nice mix of open and wooded. The woods are not so dense as to lose discs even in July. Has not been crowded when we have played. Very generous par ratings...I liked it.
Cons: May be a few more dog leg rights than most, but I didn't find it annoying.
Other Thoughts: First time I played this I was not overly impressed (February), but the 2nd time I really enjoyed it. I think the foliage on the trees made the holes more interesting and a bit more technical. I can't wait to go back.

Doglegs and Angles and Ivy. Oh my.

5+    7/24/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: ibekent
This review was updated on 4/16/2012
Pros: This course sits on its own land apart from the baseball and soccer fields. It is a mix of fairly long open shots (after the first one) and wooded shots which require a moment's thought. The tees are mostly large, concrete trapezoids most of which are cleverly placed or angled to make the shots a little bit tricky. It has some risk reward decisions, good pin placements, and decent variety of shots.

The course is well kept. Benches and trash cans are available. Tee signs are excellent. The course has no directional signs, but they aren't really needed. Just follow the trail. The course has decent flow, but also has some awkward walks and backtracking. It's almost two loops of nine; (tees 1 and 9 are next to one another). And it has the perfect amount of traffic. It's well used and stays beat in, but is not beat up and worn out. There are always folks to play, but I've never had to wait or play through.

In general, it's not an overly challenging course, but is challenging enough and very enjoyable. If you enjoy the calm of the woods, you'll really like this course.
Cons: I can think of only two things that everyone will call a con: 1. I don't think I've ever seen so much poison ivy in one place. 2. It's a fair walk from the parking lot to the first tee.

Other thing which some might call cons: The course significantly favors players with RHFH flicks. The longest hole is 440 feet. Some of the wooded shots are lined with significant schule. The first two shots are relatively uninteresting. Water and restrooms are available, but not nearby.
Other Thoughts: When you park, just start walking back across the soccer fields toward the woods. You'll see a small kiosk back there which is next to the first tee.

Solid

5+    6/25/2009   3/30/2011
Review By: tehrain
Pros: As far as city park courses go, this one is pretty solid. It's fairly large and well spread out with some good variety. Not overly crowded but on sunny weekends you might get slowed down a bit if you're quick.

A bundle of possible aces!

1    11/11/2010   11/11/2010
Review By: jblough
Pros: - Course plays over a nice park that is open and conducive to disc golf but doesn't seem like there would be too many run-ins with non disc golfers.

- This course is pretty old school in regard to being broken-in (well identified paths from hole to hole, benches, and groomed trees and foliage). Hole lengths are pretty short as well and pars follow standards from the 1970s-80s. Nevertheless, there are elevation changes and doglegs that make it interesting. A few blind shots, while short in length, require concentration and "scouting" to ensure accuracy and par.

- Front nine are sort of like a warm-up (in terms of hole lengths and placement of baskets), while the back nine require a little more skill and finesse.

- An unusual number of right-turning doglegs that favor lefties and require anhyzer releases.

- Lots of benches for seating between holes in case the course can get crowded. Baskets and teepads are in pretty good condition, too.

- Practice basket and ample parking.

- Scenic views and a nice park landscape with nice locals.
Cons: - There are plenty of chances for aces, and course patrons have expressed few reservations about making that known. Numerous signs are covered in sharpie, denoting people's aces (a huge peeve of mine), and some signs are really graffitied. Aside from sign vandalism, the course is maintained pretty well.

- Hole #8 is really the only hole that has any decent length to it. While I'm not the type that likes to see every hole turned into a marathon, a few more chances to air out some drivers would be fantastic.

- As I already mentioned, hole lengths are pretty short and despite many holes being in the woods, a true technical challenge is limited, as few holes (with the exception of 13) use the dense tree placement to make it interesting. The pars are definitely out of date, too; play most of them as threes if you're more than a recreational player.
Other Thoughts: - Back nine has more challenge and variety in shot selection than the front nine and is therefore more enjoyable. If I had to rate the first nine compared to the last nine, I would give them a 3.0 and 3.5, respectively.

- While the course isn't particularly difficult, that's what I enjoy about it. It's a nice relaxing set of 18 holes and a great place to take a newbie without frustrating him/her. It's a nice scenic walk between holes too and that adds to the allure of the course. By no means am I a great player, but there were a couple of instances where I nearly saw flashes of my first ace go before my eyes. I can see why there are so many of them here; I just wish people found different ways to celebrate their aces!

Favorite Course In The Area

5+    8/29/2010   9/4/2010
Review By: LeftyChris
Pros: Good variation

Well maintained

Maps on each hole are very helpful

Cons: Sometimes may be confusing for first timers when finding a few tees

If you throw in the rough, you may run into some thorn bushes

Other Thoughts: Overall awesome course. I live about 40 minutes away and it's well worth the trip every time. It could use a little improving but nothing major.

Right off of 81!

1    7/29/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: flyerzphan923
Pros: good mix of open and wooded. baskets are in great shape. There is Pars on score card for beginners and pros.
Cons: Just didnt stand out in any way to me. there Is not a single hole I can remember (played one week ago) that really stands out and makes me want to go back real soon. Many of the holes favor left handed or RHFH throwers, as a lot of them dog leg to the right.
Other Thoughts: It is in a great spot right off of 81 and makes a great stop if taking a longer trip along this highway. I would not drive a long distance to play this course, but if I was driving by it, I would definately stop and play it again.

Excellent Example of a Community Park

1    5/14/2010   5/15/2010
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Sherando Park is another great course along the I-81 corridor and is very easy to get to. The park is exceptionally manicured and well maintained.

Sherando Park is an amazing example of a disc golf course in a community park making the most of the space that it has available Included were a variety of holes from long, wide-open field fairways to short, tight, densely-wooded holes. While the elevation at the park is limited, the change in elevation was incorporated into several holes. Each hole held its own unique characteristics and challenges, but numerous birdie bonuses and ace runs were definitely possible.

The walk from the parking lot to the first tee crosses a soccer field. This is excellent for shaking out the cobwebs and practicing a few drives before playing your round.

Tee Signs at Sherando were great. The signs included picture of the hole layout, expected flight path, obstacles, distance, and par.

The baskets were in pretty good shape as were the concrete tees pads.

One of the best things about this course were the locals. I played as a single and came across three separate foursomes that were more than happy to let me play through and were immensely friendly. While waiting for another group to finish putting, I was greeted by a pair of local players and they were helpful and seemed happy to have me on their course. The welcoming vibe at Sherando is a big plus.
Cons: Navigation at Sherando was a bit confusing at times. In some cases, the clustering of tees relative to baskets seemed a bit cramped and might have some subtle safety issues. Having "next tee" markers on more of the sings would have been nice.

As for the sings themselves, it was disappointing to see so much vandalism as numerous signs were tagged when aced.

Recognizing that Sherando Park probably did the best they could with the land they had available, several of the wooded holes seemed a bit short.
Other Thoughts: Sherando Park was a fast play, but a lot of fun. This park is great for all levels of disc golfers, from beginners to more experienced players, children, and families. Stephans City did right by themselves in their implementation of this course and I would recommend this to anyone in the area.

< Prev 1 2 3