Williamsburg, VA
New Quarter Park Share
Hole #18 Blue Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Makes the most of the land

1    8/16/2013   9/29/2014
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: This course makes the absolute most of the land it has available. From the white tees, it is a little on the short side, but is a great Am course. The blue tees add a little more distance but it still doesn't feel like a premier championship level from there.

There is a seemingly even number of open and wooded holes, some having a little of both. Big arms will rejoice when they get to air a few holes out. Technical shots will be required in the woods.

The layout doesn't favor backhand/forehand, so in that respect it is great. There are a few holes that you may drive with a putter or midrange, but most will involve a driver of some sort.

There isn't any apparent filler holes (designed to get you from one hole to the next without much thought), which is a welcoming change. However, coincidentally, there isn't a signature hole either.

The signs were top quality and I don't recall any major navigational issues. Additionally, I don't recall any major chance of losing discs, despite being in the woods for many holes. The underbrush is minimal so you should feel OK about tossing a blind shot.

The wildlife on the course was excellent. You're almost guaranteed to see deer while playing. The park is also nestled close to some historic sites and civil war reenactments can often be heard while playing. There is plenty to do in the area outside of dg, so don't hesitate to make a trip to the area.

The pro shop on site is excellent and definitely adds to the experience. Paying $3 to play for the day is certainly not a problem. The maintenance of the park itself, in addition to the disc golf course, is top notch.
Cons: There is very little elevation changes on the whole course. This is to be expected of a course so close to the ocean, but it still detracts from the overall difficulty and rating of the course.

There isn't any water involved. To be a premier course, you have to have a water element. I could easily see giving this course a 4.5 if it had h2o.

No signature hole. All of the holes seem to have a purpose and aren't "forced", however none of them stand out. Just a minor setback.

The course didn't challenge me like I was anticipating. Most of the holes are fairly straight forward and many allow you to open up with no fear of trees or other hazards. Precarious pin positions are the only real obstacle to be had other than a few narrow wooded fairways. The course could benefit by adding more distance to the open holes and more dog legs if available.

Seasonal closings. The course is only open at certain times during the winter, so you will either need to walk into the park during the closed hours or arrive at a scheduled opening.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses to play on the east coast. Definitely a must play when driving through and I'd even suggest a trip to the area since there is plenty of other attractions to keep your attention between rounds. Give New Quarter a shot!

Gem of the Area

5+    9/20/2014   9/26/2014
Review By: DiscinMiller
Pros: Two textured slip resistant tee pads. Two pin positions (a pro and a con for me) Amazing Staff in the office. Nice supply of innova discs to buy and they will let you try them out before you buy in the field behind the office.
Course has a wonderful mix of open holes and holes in the woods as well as birdie holes and holes where a par is a great score.

There are a few benches through the holes to sit down from time to time, bag hangers at every hole, most holes have them at both tees. There are nice plaques with hole info at every hole, the holes also have nice little names. The course also winds through some remains of a battle field, which is a cool addition.
Cons: Not the fault of the course, but ticks and chiggers can be found here regularly. Often times late summer the fields get neglected a bit and the grass gets high, helping breed said bugs. (the office always has free bug spray sitting outside for people)
The alternate pin position is much more challenging on most of the holes, often times adding 100 feet or more to the hole. A few of those long baskets are pretty unfair (number 8 is directly next to a 10 foot deep ravine, which is nearly impossible to get in and out of if your disc finds the area) I think the course would greatly benefit from purchasing another 18 cages and having both pin positions available on every hole at all times. I avoid the course like the plague when it's on the longer positions, just takes the fun out of it for the recreational player.
Hole 5 might be the most difficult par 3 I've ever played, it requires an large anny or flick with tons of bend but only about 150 feet, then the same shot again to get to the cage. small gap in the trees. hate that hole
Other Thoughts: Ive played this course literally hundreds of times. The nndg club helps maintain, and they are wonderful in many ways, but their deviant long pins are far too difficult at times.
All in all this is a great course to play. If you are a newbie or a consistant over par player at an average course, this place may be too tough for you. It really requires a great mix of great shots to shoot in the red figures. My best is 55 from the short tee and short cages, but occasionally find myself shooting close to 70, there is tons of trouble to be found.

New Quarter, No Question!

1    8/16/2014   9/6/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: New Quarter Park disc golf course is a good one for sure. Sort of has two faces, alternating styles through out the 18 holes. First, showing wide open grassy holes, and then into fully wooded and much tighter fairways. Opens up for a couple of holes, then into the woods again, and so on. The last hole is open, and is over 800 feet from the long tees. The open holes are nice, featuring a few mature trees, and some have a bit of elevation change. Grass was thick, no skips. I prefer the other woodsy style holes. Where the shot placement is a little more important, and the terrain was a little rougher. Hole 12, and 15 were two of the best I thought. In either case, the course is versatile with multiple concrete tees and two or more pin locations on all holes, except for hole 15, having just one concrete tee and two pin positions. A good mix of throws are required in terms of left and right, and varying in distance also. There are several long holes, white tees measuring 5500+ feet, and blues are nearly 7000 feet. This park is very nicely kept, and the staff were very pleasant also. I didn't encounter significant amounts of water or mud anywhere. The condition of the disc golf baskets, tees and signs were all good. Scorecards, pencils, bug spray and other things are available at the park office. I enjoyed the experience playing a round here, and would have liked to see what else the park has to offer, if I'd had the time.
Cons: No real issues for me to mention. The $3 cost is fair, and facilities seemed excellent from what I saw. The open holes were very sound, operational disc golf holes, but I do tend to find them less stimulating. Pets must be leashed, and I will list this as a con, though I understand some would not. Rules are rules, sorry Charley
Other Thoughts: New Quarter Park disc golf course is fun and challenging. I played the longer blue tees, and finished with a 67 on my first visit. That is 5 over par according to the scorecard I printed. I blame some bad putting, and bonking a couple of trees. I did manage a couple of birdies. I did like this course and would say it is well worth a visit. Rating by average review scores is accurate, in my opinion.

Awesome

1    7/12/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: knoxstephen5
Pros: Great variety, open and wooded. Beautiful and well maintained course. I like that the holes get moved periodically to keep the course different. Not a course that gets crowded.
Cons: Long and tough, very technical. This course will test your skills. Some holes are par 3 that are difficult to get to in 3 if you are just a recreational player like myself and my girlfriend. Also a long course with elevation change. Makes you want to wear hiking boots!
Other Thoughts: We loved this course although it was tough. We will be back. Like the shop and the logo discs that they sell. We loved the toughness of #16. Long with elevation changes and beautiful scenery.

one of VA's best!

1    7/13/2014   7/29/2014
Review By: chainedwraith
This review was updated on 8/1/2014
Pros: The entire area is gorgeous and the park is no exception. Beautiful rolling meadows with woods in the background as you drive in and the course takes it to a whole other level of scenery once you get into the woods. It's a long course so you'll get a good workout too.

This park is maintained to perfection. No trash, vandalism or any signs of neglect. Very well cared for course.

Grippy concrete tees and the tee signs are excellent. Dual tee pads for playing to skill level. The holes appear to have more than one pin placement to add some layout variety.

Navigation seemed adequate but not perfect. I was lucky to have a local guide so I may not have paid as close attention but it didn't seem like we had many long walks between holes but we did double-back slightly once or twice. Overall the holes seemed very well spaced.

Perfect balance of open/wooded style holes, with excellent use of elevation throughout the course on both wooded and open holes. I used several different discs and required lots of shot variety to get up and down these fairways.

Nice park office staff and pro shop with snacks and refreshments and restrooms right near parking area.
Cons: uuhhh... I had to walk maybe 700 feet from parking lot to hole 1 start? Maybe a con for lazy people? :-)

Only other thing worth mentioning is that in the woods there is some elevation that could send an errant shot downhill off-the-beaten path a good ways. You could be punished by having to hike down off the fairway deep into spider & snake country to hunt for your disc. Luckily I didn't have to stray far off the fairway but I could see it happening on several holes.
Other Thoughts: I played late afternoon from long pads in beautiful summer conditions. I bumped into a couple of guys that had played the course a few times and they became my guides.

I really enjoyed the hole diversity. Airing it out one hole, then throwing a tight wooded line downhill or an uphill dogleg.. this course had it all. I think the hole diversity and overall beauty of the holes and the course as a whole really make this a fun and memorable place to play.

A few really memorable holes but hole 18 particularly was a great way to finish. A long monster of a throw from inside the woods out to slightly downhill rolling meadow and end back in the woods again about 1000 feet away.

This is a solid destination course and my favorite attraction among all that Williamsburg had to offer, which is a lot in itself! Plenty of other cool stuff to do in this park as well. If you're serious about DG, you simply must play here if passing through or checking out Colonial Williamsburg. You won't be disappointed.

Best Course in Area!

5+    6/22/2014   6/26/2014
Review By: pardthemonster
Pros: Well maintained course. Multiple concrete pads. Different tee positions. Nice area and staff. Events going on frequently.
Cons: Traffic on highways is sometimes congested. Use back roads to avoid delays.
Other Thoughts: N/A

No Quarter or Take No Prisoners

1    3/17/2014   6/16/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Dual concrete tees with chainstar baskets and multiple pin locations. Nice tee signs and bag holders. Navigation is pretty easy. 2 loops of 9 holes. Excellent variety of challenges from mostly open to heavily wooded holes. Little underbrush. Disc golf only area of park. Bathrooms, water, office and pro shop by parking lot.
Cons: No major detractors here. No pin indication for basket position at tee. IMO Hole 13 from the long tee doesn't seem to be a golf shot to me. No Gold level layout. Holly trees in the rough.
Other Thoughts: Set in historic Colonial Williamsburg, New Quarter Park is a modern age professionally built championship style disc golf course for intermediate to advanced level players with an odd arrangement of par 3s, a couple par 4s, and a par 5. Overall I really enjoyed the course, it features a few long open bombs and several technical wooded fairways. The mostly open holes play over only slight elevation changes while the heavily wooded holes play along more significant elevation changes, personally I would prefer more elevation changes on the mostly open holes to make them more interesting, but that's just my preference and mother nature didn't plan the land out that way. I found the overall design to have significantly more left to right turns so the balance of shots was a little off. The park maintenance crew grooms this course like it's Augusta National. The crew in the pro shop/office were awesome to talk to, and provide you a map after you pay the $3/day fee to play.

I go back and forth is New Quarter a 4 or 4.5? I feel it would be a weak 4.5 compared to the other courses I've rated that. This is easily the top course I've ever given a 4, wish there was a 4.25 option. If you are going up/down I-95 near Richmond this is well worth the one way 50min detour, however I love more elevation so I would rather detour I64 the opposite direction 1hr 20 to Walnut Creek. If you happen to be going across I64 you have some awesome courses to play.

The Total Package

2-4    2/15/2014   2/16/2014
Review By: chillumz
Pros: The course is separate from the rest of the park, allowing you to focus completely on your game.

The environment is very pretty and extremely well kept, especially considering the small fee to play ($3.00).

The holes are long, varied, and flow extremely well with the soft rolling hills of Williamsburg. Some in the open fields, some in the woods, some in and out; there's no lack of variety here.

The holes are quite long and you really have to take a second to plan an effective approach or you'll find yourself wasting shots. I think this course is great for developing a more serious game considering the challenge of getting 400' from a field down through tight woods in only 3 throws.
Cons: The only real con I could come up with is hole length. Some of these bad boys are pushing 400-500' and still are expected to be par 3. For a beginning player, it can become quite frustrating to fall short of par EVERY hole.
Other Thoughts: I wish this course was closer to home. It is really a remarkable environment that offers a perfect afternoon of disc golf!

New Dollar Park

1    3/9/2012   10/9/2013
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: This is probably one of the best maintained courses I've played with well groomed woods and huge mowed fields. Dual concrete tees, dual baskets, excellent signage....but more importantly. Just amazing caliber of disc golf shots. This place really surprised me. Big open field holes and true fairway golf through dense eastern hardwoods. Elevation drops and gains. Shots from the open into the wooded abyss, out of the woods into the open, par 3s and par 4s and a huge finishing hole that requires distance and then some line threading back into the woods. I really was impressed and rank this course right up there with all the National gems. At times you feel like you are playing on a ball golf course and at times you feel like you're playing appalachian woodlands golf. Just a pristine park and best of all it's disc golf only turf so no interference from other parkgoers. You will need to throw far to do well here but theres still enough obstacles, strategy, gap hitting, and line hitting to keep it very cerebral and interesting. I really am bewildered that this course hasn't gotten as much attention as some of the higher rated DUDs on this site.
Cons: Despite the array of really amazing holes none of them really stood out.......however this is the sign of a high caliber course as there are no filler holes and every hole pretty much brings challenge and beauty at you simultaneously. No water for the water shot nerds out there. I truly cannot complain...hell after playing the 1 mile hike out of the park during the off season seemed like I was walking on air...
Other Thoughts: Again I'm tempted to throw a 5 on this course but it just lacked that 1 hole or 1 shot that burned into my memory......this is perhaps the best public disc golf in Virginia and IMO has what it takes to host a high quality NT event. Do yourself a favor and make the trip or make the time to play this course.

New Quarter

5+    4/7/2013   8/9/2013
Review By: huckman
Pros: Great course. There is a nice mix of wooded and open holes. Couse is marked well except going from 4 to 5 or 5 to 6., then you back track once. Hilly at times, bring your hiking shoes. Course is clean It is kept up by park personell and local volunteers. The main office offers an awesome selection of innova discs. If you are passing though the area it is not far off interstate. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
Cons: I have no cons about this course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6