Williamsburg, VA
New Quarter Park Share
Uploaded By: Dooley Hole #5 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #5 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
one of VA's best!

1    7/13/2014   7/29/2014
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: The entire area is gorgeous and the park is no exception. Beautiful rolling meadows with woods in the background as you drive in and the course takes it to a whole other level of scenery once you get into the woods. It's a long course so you'll get a good workout too.

This park is maintained to perfection. No trash, vandalism or any signs of neglect. Very well cared for course.

Grippy concrete tees and the tee signs are excellent. Dual tee pads for playing to skill level. The holes appear to have more than one pin placement to add some layout variety.

Navigation seemed adequate but not perfect. I was lucky to have a local guide so I may not have paid as close attention but it didn't seem like we had many long walks between holes but we did double-back slightly once or twice. Overall the holes seemed very well spaced.

Perfect balance of open/wooded style holes, with excellent use of elevation throughout the course on both wooded and open holes. I used several different discs and required lots of shot variety to get up and down these fairways.

Nice park office staff and pro shop with snacks and refreshments and restrooms right near parking area.
Cons: uuhhh... I had to walk maybe 700 feet from parking lot to hole 1 start? Maybe a con for lazy people? :-)

Also an indicator on the tee sign to identify current pin placement would be nice.

Only other thing worth mentioning is that in the woods there is some elevation that could send an errant shot downhill off-the-beaten path a good ways. You could be punished by having to hike down off the fairway deep into spider & snake country to hunt for your disc. Luckily I didn't have to stray far off the fairway but I could see it happening on several holes.
Other Thoughts: I played late afternoon from long pads in beautiful summer conditions. I bumped into a couple of guys that had played the course a few times and they became my guides.

I really enjoyed the hole diversity. Airing it out one hole, then throwing a tight wooded line downhill or an uphill dogleg.. this course had it all. I think the hole diversity and overall beauty of the holes and the course as a whole really make this a fun and memorable place to play.

A few really memorable holes but hole 18 particularly was a great way to finish. A long monster of a throw from inside the woods out to slightly downhill rolling meadow and end back in the woods again about 1000 feet away.

This is a solid destination course and my favorite attraction among all that Williamsburg had to offer, which is a lot in itself! Plenty of other cool stuff to do in this park as well. If you're serious about DG, you simply must play here if passing through or checking out Colonial Williamsburg. You won't be disappointed.

The Total Package

2-4    2/15/2014   2/16/2014
Review By: chillumz
Pros: The course is separate from the rest of the park, allowing you to focus completely on your game.

The environment is very pretty and extremely well kept, especially considering the small fee to play ($3.00).

The holes are long, varied, and flow extremely well with the soft rolling hills of Williamsburg. Some in the open fields, some in the woods, some in and out; there's no lack of variety here.

The holes are quite long and you really have to take a second to plan an effective approach or you'll find yourself wasting shots. I think this course is great for developing a more serious game considering the challenge of getting 400' from a field down through tight woods in only 3 throws.
Cons: The only real con I could come up with is hole length. Some of these bad boys are pushing 400-500' and still are expected to be par 3. For a beginning player, it can become quite frustrating to fall short of par EVERY hole.
Other Thoughts: I wish this course was closer to home. It is really a remarkable environment that offers a perfect afternoon of disc golf!

New Dollar Park

1    3/9/2012   10/9/2013
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: This is probably one of the best maintained courses I've played with well groomed woods and huge mowed fields. Dual concrete tees, dual baskets, excellent signage....but more importantly. Just amazing caliber of disc golf shots. This place really surprised me. Big open field holes and true fairway golf through dense eastern hardwoods. Elevation drops and gains. Shots from the open into the wooded abyss, out of the woods into the open, par 3s and par 4s and a huge finishing hole that requires distance and then some line threading back into the woods. I really was impressed and rank this course right up there with all the National gems. At times you feel like you are playing on a ball golf course and at times you feel like you're playing appalachian woodlands golf. Just a pristine park and best of all it's disc golf only turf so no interference from other parkgoers. You will need to throw far to do well here but theres still enough obstacles, strategy, gap hitting, and line hitting to keep it very cerebral and interesting. I really am bewildered that this course hasn't gotten as much attention as some of the higher rated DUDs on this site.
Cons: Despite the array of really amazing holes none of them really stood out.......however this is the sign of a high caliber course as there are no filler holes and every hole pretty much brings challenge and beauty at you simultaneously. No water for the water shot nerds out there. I truly cannot complain...hell after playing the 1 mile hike out of the park during the off season seemed like I was walking on air...
Other Thoughts: Again I'm tempted to throw a 5 on this course but it just lacked that 1 hole or 1 shot that burned into my memory......this is perhaps the best public disc golf in Virginia and IMO has what it takes to host a high quality NT event. Do yourself a favor and make the trip or make the time to play this course.

Quality Quarterly

1    7/6/2013   7/17/2013
Review By: #19325
Pros: New Quarter Park is an impressive park with tons of activities. It has walking/biking trails, sand volleyball, basketball, softball, horseshoe pits, playgrounds, and access to the water. It's a very well kept park with restroom facilities.

There is a small clubhouse near the parking lot. The $3 fee was a bargain. The workers were super nice and supply you with a score card.

The course has a great mix of open and wooded holes. With all the other activities in the park they did a great job keeping it isolated. It has some nice elevation in places. The woods punish you but it's not that bad locating discs. It's very clean and well maintained. It has some great variety with a good mix of traditional par 3 and newer par 4 golf. It depends on if you play the long or short pads and where the pins are located (short or long). I threw a lot of different discs and lines during the round.

Awesome short & long concrete tee pads.

Multiple Pin positions on each hole.

Very descriptive tee signs. Bag holders.

Discraft chainstar baskets which are in great condition.
Cons: The tee signs are only located at the short tee.

The pins were located in all the short positions the day I played. There were some very awesome looking long pin positions. This course would be an ideal candidate for a 2nd set of permanent pins that are a different color.
Other Thoughts: If you are on vacation and headed down to Virginia Beach or the Outer Banks this is a must play.

I really wish I had this as a home course. It has everything that I want in a course. It's fun and challenging.

Wonderful!

1    8/5/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: Jpcole9702
Pros: Very well maintained, clean, challenging, fun course. Great variety of holes, well laid out, easy to follow and so much fun.
Cons: Too many deer on the course? No, there really are not any cons, as long as you pay attention at the tee and watch were the next tee box is after the hole you will be just fine.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in a beautiful park, there is something for the whole family here, and perfect for a family outing or anything else you can think of to get a chance to play some disc golf. I would recommend this course to everyone, as it is by far my favorite course so far!

One of the best!

2-4    8/6/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: sdervan
Pros: WOW!
This place is amazing.
-Super clean park that is quiet and pristine.
-Multiple tee pads and pin locations.
-The long tees are LONG so bring your BIG arm.
-Amazing variety of shots. Some open to wooded and some wooded to open.
-Great course for leftys, righties, flickers, and back arm throwers.
-Massive mature trees that tower above the ground. Make sure to look up while in the woods
-The DG course is amazingly well manicured
-Tee pads are nice and large (5 x 8-10)
-Almost every hole is amazing.
-Super nice Discraft baskets
-Each hole has 3 pin locations and they use a flag system so that the throwers can tell from the tee pad what pin location the basket is in. (Red/Blue/White)
-the Flags are tall above the baskets so that you can see even the blind throws
-Pro shop has disc to purchase and a great variety of Innova.
Cons: -I really can't think of any. I know that is not popular but unless you have played this course, you just don't know how nice this course is. I guess the only con would be that it's not closer to my house. :)
-No water hazards. is that even a con?
Other Thoughts: You must make time to get over to Va and play this jewel. You will be blown away.

Amazing course!

1    6/18/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: telusive
Pros: Had a really great time on this very beautiful course!
Saw tons of wildlife, many deer and (many might find this a con) a 7ft rat snake.
A good variation between wooded shots and open field.
Really interesting woods shots
Very well maintained course, very easy to navigate with the map provided for me. They also provided score cards for free.
Really can't stress how awesome the wooded holes were, they had clear cut paths to the basket that were very small, but doable by a fairly skilled player.
Each hole has 2 tees and 2 basket placements (although only one basket was up on each hole)
Cons: Construction going on atm, made it a bit hard to concentrate.
The area is full of ants so watch setting your bags down
Other Thoughts: Has a small shop where you sign in, guy there was very nice and offered to let us try and discs before purchase.

Best course close to Hampton Roads

5+    5/6/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: Tunacrab
Pros: I'm from Norfolk, So I've played all the courses around here. My DG buddies agree this is our favorite "hard course."

First off, the park is beautiful. I'd go here just to birdwatch or have lunch (it is in a bird sanctuary). Getting to throw a nice shot as a big turkey vulture dramatically swoops overhead while a family of deer watch from the treeline is pretty darn cool.

The course is long. We wore a pedometer once and played through twice... we covered just over 7 miles of ground. Add that to the elevation changes, and you'll get a nice light exorcise playing this course.

Speaking of elevation changes, they are great. Left and right turns going up and down over wooded terrain. The course snakes in and out of the woods. From power long shots to delicate wooded finesse shots, New Quarter has them.

My buddies and I aren't experts by any means, and we all agree this is the "hardest" course for us, as far as making par. When we first started playing last year we played all the holes as par 4. We still couldn't par. Now we can get close to par, playing the actual course pars... so this course has definitely made us better players.

All in all, if you are from the Hampton Roads area, drive the extra 10 min down the road from the Newport News course and give this one a try. You'll enjoy it.

Nothing but good and friendly interactions with the rangers.
Cons: The walk in is long (usually... see below).

A few pads are hard to find the first couple times you play.
Other Thoughts: Sometimes the gate is closed and you have to walk about a mile to get in. Sometimes it is open and you can drive right up. We talked to a ranger and made sure it is OK to walk in when the gate is closed and she said it is fine.

1 of the best in Va

2-4    4/13/2012   4/18/2012
Review By: 11abush11
Pros: -Great use of landscape
-Half woods/half field shots
-Great mix of left and rights anys/hyzers
-Love the flags on the baskets plus they are color coded so its easy to see which basket is in place by the sign/flag.
-Equal amount of bombs to technical shots.
-Good score cards
-Store inside with custom stamped park discs, but just Innova stuff.
Cons: -Lost just a few times but thanks to the score card not a huge deal.
-Some of the signs are a little misleading to where to throw especially when multiple baskets are in one field.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've played on the east coast. I played the short tees and the layout that day was red pins front 9, blue tees back 9. I shot +1 the first round and an Even on the second. Difficult but not impossible to put up a good score if played a few times. Will be back very soon to play this course!

Probably not an objective review...

5+    10/26/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: H3LlIoN
Pros: So...Like the title says...I'm going to TRY and be objective, but this is my home course, and the one I first learned on. NQP is the bar by which I judge others, so to speak. I am not affiliated with the park or the club responsible for this course. I am merely a local player.

That being said, here is what is good about this course:
It's reasonably secluded from outside noises and interference. The course is very long...we mapped it at about a 3.5 mile hike using google My Tracks, and the total elevation change was something in the neighborhood of 3800 feet. She'll definitely give you a work out. There is a great mix of holes, ranging from hilly, open, wooded, right breaks, left, straight, etc...There are bag hangars at the "normal tees" for each hole. All tee boxes are large concrete pads, and each hole has a sign clearly depicting to layout and mapping the pro tees, should you so choose. There are some mandos, and both long and short holes. It's a very dynamic course, making great use of the topography. There is a practice green at the start of one that's nestled in the trees, allowing for you to practice bad lays as well as straight up puts. There are trashcans out on the course as well, and the park office features a pro shop with an excellent assortment of plastic, bags and apparel, as well as snacks and drinks. They also rent/loan discs out for those that are new or weren't able to bring their own, and they will order you anything you want out of the Innova catalog. Also, they have color maps/scorecards in the office and pencils as well. The grass is always mowed and, for the most part, the course is relatively clean, although I have found beer bottles and such stuffed in stumps and the like. If you're patient and know where to look, it's pretty easy to track down missing discs...I've yet to lose one on this course. Also, if you're a returning player, Irene has altered a number of the holes, so it's worth getting back out and checking it out again. I've been told this is one of the best courses around, and I'm happy to call it home. Also, although it is popular, this place is never slammed, and it's big enough that multiple groups can play without issue. I've also been out and had the course entirely to myself, despite it's popularity. This is a nice, long, enjoyable course.
Cons: Cons...$3 a day/$25 a year. Not really that much, but it's something. It's worth it though, this course is great. Also, we bring a lot of first timers out, and the guys at the park have been known to waive the fee the first time, as we have about a 95% conversion rate of getting our guests to go ahead and get season passes and start playing. There aren't any water hazards. The only other bad thing is that this course can be a little confusing if you are new to it, and you don't have a scorecard/map. The office isn't always open, but it only takes a couple games to get it. There are multiple cage locations, but they only change them once a year. It's basically short config for all of summer, then Fall Colors tourney, then long config for winter, when they switch to weekends only. It would be nice if they had both cage configs set up, or at least moved them around more often. Also, hole 4 turns in to a flash flood in a hard downpour. Ticks, mosquitoes and mayflies were TERRIBLE this summer, but the guys at the office always put out a bottle of OFF in case you forgot to bring it.
Other Thoughts: The park staff is great, the course is great...it's a great place to play. I've shot with people that consider this a 'destination' course.

Another thing...a couple people mentioned the winter schedule that has the park closed in the winter. There is parking at the gate, and you can hike in any time you want and shoot, but beware; it's a pretty good haul to get from the gate to the first tee.

< Prev 1 2 3