Williamsburg, VA
New Quarter Park Share
Uploaded By: Dooley Hole #18 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #18 White Tee

W.O.W.

1    11/29/2012   12/1/2012
Review By: blackmamba5490
Pros: -Incredible variation of holes from open to wooded (some starting off open and ending wooded and vice versa)
-Beautiful park
-cement tee pads
-pro shop on sight that lets you test out the disks before you buy!!!
-bag holders
-friendly staff
-trash free and well kept landscaping
Cons: -Not all the signs were labeled correctly considering the tee placement is changed constantly
-pay to play
-the course is not closer to were i live :(
Other Thoughts: Did a solo trip here on a beautiful day and was not disappointed by the outstanding reviews i had read about the place. The course was challenging and absolutely gorgeous. I will 100% be back to play at this course again and would recommend it to anyone who likes a challenge!

Beautiful & Quiet

1    10/10/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: flyingdisc
Pros: -Beautiful park and course
-Pro shop on site
-Great variety of skill level play
-Cement tee pads, maps, and tee signs at every hole
-Much more to offer than a disc golf course at park
-Restroom at parking lot
-Very well maintained
Cons: -Not really too much as far as cons. Got turned around on a couple of holes
-Par # not on scorecards
Other Thoughts: Great course! Had a beautiful day the day I played here. We were here on vacation visiting Colonial WIlliamsburg, which is just across the interstate, and thought I would try out the course. This park has so much to offer with hiking, biking, floating pier, canoeing, playground for kids, softball field, plus an 18 hole disc golf course. Just follow road till it dead ends into parking lot with the office at entrance of parking lot. There you will need to pay a $3 fee to play all day. I did not list this as a con since it goes towards what they are offering. The office has lots of discs and equipment to get you playing even if you walk in there with nothing to play with. The office also has maps of the course, plus, and this was a first for me, they have actual score cards and pencils. The only thing that was missing was the golf cart, which I asked, they do not have. The only bathroom with a roof over it was there by the office.
Once you trek over to the first tee pad your good to go. You have two selections of tee pads at most holes, but make sure you are at the right pad. One of the best things I noticed right away was that each basket has a flag atop a pole on top of each basket for easier location of your goal. Figuring out the course layout should not too difficult with a printed map and course map on your scorecard from the office. I played in the middle of the week in the middle of the day and only saw one other person playing, so basically had the course to myself. Fairways are not too close and run in and out of the wooded areas nicely. Most of your tee off shots are in the open with your next throw into the woods. Even with flags attached I still needed to go in search of the basket on occasion. Cement tee pads at every hole along with really nice signs with tee pad location, distance, hole #, par and basket location with obstacles shown along the way. Most of the open area shots are on a flat surface, however playing in the woods the elevation changes at just about every basket. The wooded areas are not so much you should loose a disc, but do require some skill on certain holes, going to the basket and teeing off depending on which way you are headed. I could definitley see this course being played for tournaments. A bit of a long course but well worth excercise. I believe this course has a lot to offer to both the experienced and the novice. Very clean and beautiful. Would really recommend playing if your in the area.

Wonderful!

1    8/5/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: Jpcole9702
Pros: Very well maintained, clean, challenging, fun course. Great variety of holes, well laid out, easy to follow and so much fun.
Cons: Too many deer on the course? No, there really are not any cons, as long as you pay attention at the tee and watch were the next tee box is after the hole you will be just fine.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in a beautiful park, there is something for the whole family here, and perfect for a family outing or anything else you can think of to get a chance to play some disc golf. I would recommend this course to everyone, as it is by far my favorite course so far!

One of the best!

2-4    8/6/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: sdervan
Pros: WOW!
This place is amazing.
-Super clean park that is quiet and pristine.
-Multiple tee pads and pin locations.
-The long tees are LONG so bring your BIG arm.
-Amazing variety of shots. Some open to wooded and some wooded to open.
-Great course for leftys, righties, flickers, and back arm throwers.
-Massive mature trees that tower above the ground. Make sure to look up while in the woods
-The DG course is amazingly well manicured
-Tee pads are nice and large (5 x 8-10)
-Almost every hole is amazing.
-Super nice Discraft baskets
-Each hole has 3 pin locations and they use a flag system so that the throwers can tell from the tee pad what pin location the basket is in. (Red/Blue/White)
-the Flags are tall above the baskets so that you can see even the blind throws
-Pro shop has disc to purchase and a great variety of Innova.
Cons: -I really can't think of any. I know that is not popular but unless you have played this course, you just don't know how nice this course is. I guess the only con would be that it's not closer to my house. :)
-No water hazards. is that even a con?
Other Thoughts: You must make time to get over to Va and play this jewel. You will be blown away.

Amazing course!

1    6/18/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: telusive
Pros: Had a really great time on this very beautiful course!
Saw tons of wildlife, many deer and (many might find this a con) a 7ft rat snake.
A good variation between wooded shots and open field.
Really interesting woods shots
Very well maintained course, very easy to navigate with the map provided for me. They also provided score cards for free.
Really can't stress how awesome the wooded holes were, they had clear cut paths to the basket that were very small, but doable by a fairly skilled player.
Each hole has 2 tees and 2 basket placements (although only one basket was up on each hole)
Cons: Construction going on atm, made it a bit hard to concentrate.
The area is full of ants so watch setting your bags down
Other Thoughts: Has a small shop where you sign in, guy there was very nice and offered to let us try and discs before purchase.

Best course close to Hampton Roads

5+    5/6/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: Tunacrab
Pros: I'm from Norfolk, So I've played all the courses around here. My DG buddies agree this is our favorite "hard course."

First off, the park is beautiful. I'd go here just to birdwatch or have lunch (it is in a bird sanctuary). Getting to throw a nice shot as a big turkey vulture dramatically swoops overhead while a family of deer watch from the treeline is pretty darn cool.

The course is long. We wore a pedometer once and played through twice... we covered just over 7 miles of ground. Add that to the elevation changes, and you'll get a nice light exorcise playing this course.

Speaking of elevation changes, they are great. Left and right turns going up and down over wooded terrain. The course snakes in and out of the woods. From power long shots to delicate wooded finesse shots, New Quarter has them.

My buddies and I aren't experts by any means, and we all agree this is the "hardest" course for us, as far as making par. When we first started playing last year we played all the holes as par 4. We still couldn't par. Now we can get close to par, playing the actual course pars... so this course has definitely made us better players.

All in all, if you are from the Hampton Roads area, drive the extra 10 min down the road from the Newport News course and give this one a try. You'll enjoy it.

Nothing but good and friendly interactions with the rangers.
Cons: The walk in is long (usually... see below).

A few pads are hard to find the first couple times you play.
Other Thoughts: Sometimes the gate is closed and you have to walk about a mile to get in. Sometimes it is open and you can drive right up. We talked to a ranger and made sure it is OK to walk in when the gate is closed and she said it is fine.

1 of the best in Va

2-4    4/13/2012   4/18/2012
Review By: 11abush11
Pros: -Great use of landscape
-Half woods/half field shots
-Great mix of left and rights anys/hyzers
-Love the flags on the baskets plus they are color coded so its easy to see which basket is in place by the sign/flag.
-Equal amount of bombs to technical shots.
-Good score cards
-Store inside with custom stamped park discs, but just Innova stuff.
Cons: -Lost just a few times but thanks to the score card not a huge deal.
-Some of the signs are a little misleading to where to throw especially when multiple baskets are in one field.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've played on the east coast. I played the short tees and the layout that day was red pins front 9, blue tees back 9. I shot +1 the first round and an Even on the second. Difficult but not impossible to put up a good score if played a few times. Will be back very soon to play this course!

2-4    2/18/2012   2/28/2012
Review By: Prandyseth
Pros: BEAUTIFUL course!!
baskets all had flags on top of them to help locate them.
great mix of both open and wooded holes.
the shack where you pay to play has great scorecards and a very helpful staff.
challenging holes.
Cons: navigating can get tricky if you are not familiar with the course.
Other Thoughts: I love this course.
the $3 you pay to play per person is totally worth it.

Historic Location

1    1/9/2012   1/15/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Dual Tees. I think all but 1 hole had a long and short tee-pad. This gives people the ability to choose their adventure. I caught up with a father and son who were playing the shorts… I played along with them from the longs without much hassle.
- Championship Level Golf. There was definitely some championship level golf to be played out there… especially from the long pads. There were a couple Par 4's and a Par 5 that I can remember.
- Open/Wooded/Open/Wooded. I love how the course starts in the open for 3 holes, goes into the woods for two holes, plays back in the open for two holes, and then goes back into the woods for three holes… throughout the entire course.
- History. Behind the 15th tee-pad (if I remember correctly) there is a hillside that was terraced into a series of bunkers and berms that were constructed during the civil war. Apparently no major fight took place at that location, but it was still really neat to see. Some people have found musket balls and other war artifacts in the park in the past.
Cons:
- Quirky Pin Positions. A few of the Holes had some really quirky pin positions: pins tucked behind a row of trees, and pins tucked into an alcove in the woods (on a woods hole). It seemed as if the designers didn't want you to have a good putt some of the time.
- Pin Next to Largest Tulip Poplar in the State. I want to say that on Hole 16, there is a large Tulip Poplar tree that is claimed to be the largest Tulip Poplar in Virginia. While that may seem cool, as a natural resources minded person, I take offense to the pin position. Soil compaction, erosional issues associated with disc golf and wear and tear on the tree's bark due to discs hitting it do not seem like acceptable things that should be happening to that tree to me. The Hole could have easily been shortened, or the angle changed in order to take the tree out of play while still having it on the course for people to be able to witness.
- Seasonality of Course. The course is closed during the weekdays during the winter… or, more accurately, the parking lot inside the park is closed. You can still play, you just have to walk in ¾ of a mile to get to the course.
- Kings Mill Resort. I was in town for a conference and was lucky enough to be put up in the Kings Mill Resort. If you're traveling to the area and need a place to stay, let me just say that it was incredible. Probably the nicest hotel rooms I have ever slept in… definitely the nicest bed and linens. And, the food at the resort was great! It is probably too expensive during the summer months though.
- Touristy Area. There is definitely a lot to do and see in the region: from Jamestown to Colonial Williamsburg to Busch Gardens to disc golf. Have fun.
My Score: +2 from the Blues

Probably not an objective review...

5+    10/26/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: H3LlIoN
Pros: So...Like the title says...I'm going to TRY and be objective, but this is my home course, and the one I first learned on. NQP is the bar by which I judge others, so to speak. I am not affiliated with the park or the club responsible for this course. I am merely a local player.

That being said, here is what is good about this course:
It's reasonably secluded from outside noises and interference. The course is very long...we mapped it at about a 3.5 mile hike using google My Tracks, and the total elevation change was something in the neighborhood of 3800 feet. She'll definitely give you a work out. There is a great mix of holes, ranging from hilly, open, wooded, right breaks, left, straight, etc...There are bag hangars at the "normal tees" for each hole. All tee boxes are large concrete pads, and each hole has a sign clearly depicting to layout and mapping the pro tees, should you so choose. There are some mandos, and both long and short holes. It's a very dynamic course, making great use of the topography. There is a practice green at the start of one that's nestled in the trees, allowing for you to practice bad lays as well as straight up puts. There are trashcans out on the course as well, and the park office features a pro shop with an excellent assortment of plastic, bags and apparel, as well as snacks and drinks. They also rent/loan discs out for those that are new or weren't able to bring their own, and they will order you anything you want out of the Innova catalog. Also, they have color maps/scorecards in the office and pencils as well. The grass is always mowed and, for the most part, the course is relatively clean, although I have found beer bottles and such stuffed in stumps and the like. If you're patient and know where to look, it's pretty easy to track down missing discs...I've yet to lose one on this course. Also, if you're a returning player, Irene has altered a number of the holes, so it's worth getting back out and checking it out again. I've been told this is one of the best courses around, and I'm happy to call it home. Also, although it is popular, this place is never slammed, and it's big enough that multiple groups can play without issue. I've also been out and had the course entirely to myself, despite it's popularity. This is a nice, long, enjoyable course.
Cons: Cons...$3 a day/$25 a year. Not really that much, but it's something. It's worth it though, this course is great. Also, we bring a lot of first timers out, and the guys at the park have been known to waive the fee the first time, as we have about a 95% conversion rate of getting our guests to go ahead and get season passes and start playing. There aren't any water hazards. The only other bad thing is that this course can be a little confusing if you are new to it, and you don't have a scorecard/map. The office isn't always open, but it only takes a couple games to get it. There are multiple cage locations, but they only change them once a year. It's basically short config for all of summer, then Fall Colors tourney, then long config for winter, when they switch to weekends only. It would be nice if they had both cage configs set up, or at least moved them around more often. Also, hole 4 turns in to a flash flood in a hard downpour. Ticks, mosquitoes and mayflies were TERRIBLE this summer, but the guys at the office always put out a bottle of OFF in case you forgot to bring it.
Other Thoughts: The park staff is great, the course is great...it's a great place to play. I've shot with people that consider this a 'destination' course.

Another thing...a couple people mentioned the winter schedule that has the park closed in the winter. There is parking at the gate, and you can hike in any time you want and shoot, but beware; it's a pretty good haul to get from the gate to the first tee.