Williamsburg, VA
New Quarter Park Share
Uploaded By: Dooley Hole #4 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #4 White Tee

Amazing course!

1    6/18/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: telusive
Pros: Had a really great time on this very beautiful course!
Saw tons of wildlife, many deer and (many might find this a con) a 7ft rat snake.
A good variation between wooded shots and open field.
Really interesting woods shots
Very well maintained course, very easy to navigate with the map provided for me. They also provided score cards for free.
Really can't stress how awesome the wooded holes were, they had clear cut paths to the basket that were very small, but doable by a fairly skilled player.
Each hole has 2 tees and 2 basket placements (although only one basket was up on each hole)
Cons: Construction going on atm, made it a bit hard to concentrate.
The area is full of ants so watch setting your bags down
Other Thoughts: Has a small shop where you sign in, guy there was very nice and offered to let us try and discs before purchase.

Best course close to Hampton Roads

5+    5/6/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: Tunacrab
Pros: I'm from Norfolk, So I've played all the courses around here. My DG buddies agree this is our favorite "hard course."

First off, the park is beautiful. I'd go here just to birdwatch or have lunch (it is in a bird sanctuary). Getting to throw a nice shot as a big turkey vulture dramatically swoops overhead while a family of deer watch from the treeline is pretty darn cool.

The course is long. We wore a pedometer once and played through twice... we covered just over 7 miles of ground. Add that to the elevation changes, and you'll get a nice light exorcise playing this course.

Speaking of elevation changes, they are great. Left and right turns going up and down over wooded terrain. The course snakes in and out of the woods. From power long shots to delicate wooded finesse shots, New Quarter has them.

My buddies and I aren't experts by any means, and we all agree this is the "hardest" course for us, as far as making par. When we first started playing last year we played all the holes as par 4. We still couldn't par. Now we can get close to par, playing the actual course pars... so this course has definitely made us better players.

All in all, if you are from the Hampton Roads area, drive the extra 10 min down the road from the Newport News course and give this one a try. You'll enjoy it.

Nothing but good and friendly interactions with the rangers.
Cons: The walk in is long (usually... see below).

A few pads are hard to find the first couple times you play.
Other Thoughts: Sometimes the gate is closed and you have to walk about a mile to get in. Sometimes it is open and you can drive right up. We talked to a ranger and made sure it is OK to walk in when the gate is closed and she said it is fine.

1 of the best in Va

2-4    4/13/2012   4/18/2012
Review By: 11abush11
Pros: -Great use of landscape
-Half woods/half field shots
-Great mix of left and rights anys/hyzers
-Love the flags on the baskets plus they are color coded so its easy to see which basket is in place by the sign/flag.
-Equal amount of bombs to technical shots.
-Good score cards
-Store inside with custom stamped park discs, but just Innova stuff.
Cons: -Lost just a few times but thanks to the score card not a huge deal.
-Some of the signs are a little misleading to where to throw especially when multiple baskets are in one field.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've played on the east coast. I played the short tees and the layout that day was red pins front 9, blue tees back 9. I shot +1 the first round and an Even on the second. Difficult but not impossible to put up a good score if played a few times. Will be back very soon to play this course!

2-4    2/18/2012   2/28/2012
Review By: Prandyseth
Pros: BEAUTIFUL course!!
baskets all had flags on top of them to help locate them.
great mix of both open and wooded holes.
the shack where you pay to play has great scorecards and a very helpful staff.
challenging holes.
Cons: navigating can get tricky if you are not familiar with the course.
Other Thoughts: I love this course.
the $3 you pay to play per person is totally worth it.

Historic Location

1    1/9/2012   1/15/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Dual Tees. I think all but 1 hole had a long and short tee-pad. This gives people the ability to choose their adventure. I caught up with a father and son who were playing the shorts… I played along with them from the longs without much hassle.
- Championship Level Golf. There was definitely some championship level golf to be played out there… especially from the long pads. There were a couple Par 4's and a Par 5 that I can remember.
- Open/Wooded/Open/Wooded. I love how the course starts in the open for 3 holes, goes into the woods for two holes, plays back in the open for two holes, and then goes back into the woods for three holes… throughout the entire course.
- History. Behind the 15th tee-pad (if I remember correctly) there is a hillside that was terraced into a series of bunkers and berms that were constructed during the civil war. Apparently no major fight took place at that location, but it was still really neat to see. Some people have found musket balls and other war artifacts in the park in the past.
Cons:
- Quirky Pin Positions. A few of the Holes had some really quirky pin positions: pins tucked behind a row of trees, and pins tucked into an alcove in the woods (on a woods hole). It seemed as if the designers didn't want you to have a good putt some of the time.
- Pin Next to Largest Tulip Poplar in the State. I want to say that on Hole 16, there is a large Tulip Poplar tree that is claimed to be the largest Tulip Poplar in Virginia. While that may seem cool, as a natural resources minded person, I take offense to the pin position. Soil compaction, erosional issues associated with disc golf and wear and tear on the tree's bark due to discs hitting it do not seem like acceptable things that should be happening to that tree to me. The Hole could have easily been shortened, or the angle changed in order to take the tree out of play while still having it on the course for people to be able to witness.
- Seasonality of Course. The course is closed during the weekdays during the winter… or, more accurately, the parking lot inside the park is closed. You can still play, you just have to walk in ¾ of a mile to get to the course.
- Kings Mill Resort. I was in town for a conference and was lucky enough to be put up in the Kings Mill Resort. If you're traveling to the area and need a place to stay, let me just say that it was incredible. Probably the nicest hotel rooms I have ever slept in… definitely the nicest bed and linens. And, the food at the resort was great! It is probably too expensive during the summer months though.
- Touristy Area. There is definitely a lot to do and see in the region: from Jamestown to Colonial Williamsburg to Busch Gardens to disc golf. Have fun.
My Score: +2 from the Blues

Probably not an objective review...

5+    10/26/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: H3LlIoN
Pros: So...Like the title says...I'm going to TRY and be objective, but this is my home course, and the one I first learned on. NQP is the bar by which I judge others, so to speak. I am not affiliated with the park or the club responsible for this course. I am merely a local player.

That being said, here is what is good about this course:
It's reasonably secluded from outside noises and interference. The course is very long...we mapped it at about a 3.5 mile hike using google My Tracks, and the total elevation change was something in the neighborhood of 3800 feet. She'll definitely give you a work out. There is a great mix of holes, ranging from hilly, open, wooded, right breaks, left, straight, etc...There are bag hangars at the "normal tees" for each hole. All tee boxes are large concrete pads, and each hole has a sign clearly depicting to layout and mapping the pro tees, should you so choose. There are some mandos, and both long and short holes. It's a very dynamic course, making great use of the topography. There is a practice green at the start of one that's nestled in the trees, allowing for you to practice bad lays as well as straight up puts. There are trashcans out on the course as well, and the park office features a pro shop with an excellent assortment of plastic, bags and apparel, as well as snacks and drinks. They also rent/loan discs out for those that are new or weren't able to bring their own, and they will order you anything you want out of the Innova catalog. Also, they have color maps/scorecards in the office and pencils as well. The grass is always mowed and, for the most part, the course is relatively clean, although I have found beer bottles and such stuffed in stumps and the like. If you're patient and know where to look, it's pretty easy to track down missing discs...I've yet to lose one on this course. Also, if you're a returning player, Irene has altered a number of the holes, so it's worth getting back out and checking it out again. I've been told this is one of the best courses around, and I'm happy to call it home. Also, although it is popular, this place is never slammed, and it's big enough that multiple groups can play without issue. I've also been out and had the course entirely to myself, despite it's popularity. This is a nice, long, enjoyable course.
Cons: Cons...$3 a day/$25 a year. Not really that much, but it's something. It's worth it though, this course is great. Also, we bring a lot of first timers out, and the guys at the park have been known to waive the fee the first time, as we have about a 95% conversion rate of getting our guests to go ahead and get season passes and start playing. There aren't any water hazards. The only other bad thing is that this course can be a little confusing if you are new to it, and you don't have a scorecard/map. The office isn't always open, but it only takes a couple games to get it. There are multiple cage locations, but they only change them once a year. It's basically short config for all of summer, then Fall Colors tourney, then long config for winter, when they switch to weekends only. It would be nice if they had both cage configs set up, or at least moved them around more often. Also, hole 4 turns in to a flash flood in a hard downpour. Ticks, mosquitoes and mayflies were TERRIBLE this summer, but the guys at the office always put out a bottle of OFF in case you forgot to bring it.
Other Thoughts: The park staff is great, the course is great...it's a great place to play. I've shot with people that consider this a 'destination' course.

Another thing...a couple people mentioned the winter schedule that has the park closed in the winter. There is parking at the gate, and you can hike in any time you want and shoot, but beware; it's a pretty good haul to get from the gate to the first tee.

Must Play

1    8/30/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: VB Chains
Pros: All the reviews speak for themselves. If your in the area or making a road trip you must play this course. Don't bother trying to get in a round at Newport News DC. Just play another round at New Quater.

On Vacation

2-4    8/14/2010   8/14/2011
Review By: aceputt
Pros: I played this course every morning on vacation at Colonial Williamsburg. It is a very nice course with great fairways and demanding wooded holes. I was more than happy to pay the daily fee because it was obvious the course is well maintained. A very enjoyable experience.
Cons: Very little to say on the Con side. I really cannot think of anything worth mentioning.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area, this course in well worth your time.

Quality Course, Play it for Sure

1    8/3/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: gregorvn
Pros: -Carefully manicured and maintained
-Good tee signs, cement tee pads, and quality baskets
-Nice blend of open and wooded holes
-Wooded holes require careful throws, but aren't punishing or too rugged.

One think I liked about this course is that there weren't any real surprise holes. Some courses have one or more quirky holes that require you to really know *that hole* and how to play it. This course is very straightforward, allowing you to focus on playing golf. Driving for placement, good upshots, and putting are all rewarded equally, not knowing one or two really tricky or weird shots. Good, consistent design.
Cons: Not too many cons, this is a really nice park. The only reason I wouldn't rate this as 4.5 or 5 is that I would like to see more par 4 or 5 holes. When I played, all of the pins were in the red position, so maybe the blue pin positions would make this better, but many of the greens are reachable from the tee, even from the long tees.
Other Thoughts: The $3 pay to play is certainly worth it. The guy at the desk was helpful, marking some of the confusing transitions between holes. The map/scorecard was clearly printed and easy to read. Really a beautiful place to play. If I'm in the area again, I will certainly play this course again.

Vacation Goodie

2-4    6/28/2011   7/21/2011
Review By: Brent Renken
Pros: Worth a stop if you're in Williamsburg on vacation or driving through.

Costs a couple bucks but you get a course map and you can purchase just about any disc you want from the main office.

These holes are some of the TOUGHest I've played but it was a blast to figure out. I played 4 times from the red tee and all but 2 holes where par 3, only the most experienced players should bother playing from the advanced tees. I would advise playing from the red tee if you only get one shot at this course...it will challenge you.

Challenges include distance, elevation variation and heavy foliage. Many of the holes start in the forest and end in the open terrain or vise versa. Accuracy AND power will be necessary to have any shot of making par. Watch out for the trick basket placements. You'll see the basket through the trees, throw the perfect shot and scowl as you get closer to notice that there was a steep incline behind the basket that left you out of reach from birdie...multiple holes fit this description...you'll know them when you see them.

They put great care into this course, it's well designed and you'll want to use every shot in your arsenal to have a chance at breaking even on this course.
Cons: TICKS were mentioned and I second that. I usually bring my dog with me but would recommend you leave yours at home because they will get ticks.

GPS has a difficult time finding the park...it's worth it to figure it.