Williamsburg, VA
New Quarter Park Share
Uploaded By: Dooley Hole #18 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #18 White Tee

Probably not an objective review...

5+    10/26/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: H3LlIoN
Pros: So...Like the title says...I'm going to TRY and be objective, but this is my home course, and the one I first learned on. NQP is the bar by which I judge others, so to speak. I am not affiliated with the park or the club responsible for this course. I am merely a local player.

That being said, here is what is good about this course:
It's reasonably secluded from outside noises and interference. The course is very long...we mapped it at about a 3.5 mile hike using google My Tracks, and the total elevation change was something in the neighborhood of 3800 feet. She'll definitely give you a work out. There is a great mix of holes, ranging from hilly, open, wooded, right breaks, left, straight, etc...There are bag hangars at the "normal tees" for each hole. All tee boxes are large concrete pads, and each hole has a sign clearly depicting to layout and mapping the pro tees, should you so choose. There are some mandos, and both long and short holes. It's a very dynamic course, making great use of the topography. There is a practice green at the start of one that's nestled in the trees, allowing for you to practice bad lays as well as straight up puts. There are trashcans out on the course as well, and the park office features a pro shop with an excellent assortment of plastic, bags and apparel, as well as snacks and drinks. They also rent/loan discs out for those that are new or weren't able to bring their own, and they will order you anything you want out of the Innova catalog. Also, they have color maps/scorecards in the office and pencils as well. The grass is always mowed and, for the most part, the course is relatively clean, although I have found beer bottles and such stuffed in stumps and the like. If you're patient and know where to look, it's pretty easy to track down missing discs...I've yet to lose one on this course. Also, if you're a returning player, Irene has altered a number of the holes, so it's worth getting back out and checking it out again. I've been told this is one of the best courses around, and I'm happy to call it home. Also, although it is popular, this place is never slammed, and it's big enough that multiple groups can play without issue. I've also been out and had the course entirely to myself, despite it's popularity. This is a nice, long, enjoyable course.
Cons: Cons...$3 a day/$25 a year. Not really that much, but it's something. It's worth it though, this course is great. Also, we bring a lot of first timers out, and the guys at the park have been known to waive the fee the first time, as we have about a 95% conversion rate of getting our guests to go ahead and get season passes and start playing. There aren't any water hazards. The only other bad thing is that this course can be a little confusing if you are new to it, and you don't have a scorecard/map. The office isn't always open, but it only takes a couple games to get it. There are multiple cage locations, but they only change them once a year. It's basically short config for all of summer, then Fall Colors tourney, then long config for winter, when they switch to weekends only. It would be nice if they had both cage configs set up, or at least moved them around more often. Also, hole 4 turns in to a flash flood in a hard downpour. Ticks, mosquitoes and mayflies were TERRIBLE this summer, but the guys at the office always put out a bottle of OFF in case you forgot to bring it.
Other Thoughts: The park staff is great, the course is great...it's a great place to play. I've shot with people that consider this a 'destination' course.

Another thing...a couple people mentioned the winter schedule that has the park closed in the winter. There is parking at the gate, and you can hike in any time you want and shoot, but beware; it's a pretty good haul to get from the gate to the first tee.

Must Play

1    8/30/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: VB Chains
Pros: All the reviews speak for themselves. If your in the area or making a road trip you must play this course. Don't bother trying to get in a round at Newport News DC. Just play another round at New Quater.

On Vacation

2-4    8/14/2010   8/14/2011
Review By: aceputt
Pros: I played this course every morning on vacation at Colonial Williamsburg. It is a very nice course with great fairways and demanding wooded holes. I was more than happy to pay the daily fee because it was obvious the course is well maintained. A very enjoyable experience.
Cons: Very little to say on the Con side. I really cannot think of anything worth mentioning.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area, this course in well worth your time.

Quality Course, Play it for Sure

1    8/3/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: gregorvn
Pros: -Carefully manicured and maintained
-Good tee signs, cement tee pads, and quality baskets
-Nice blend of open and wooded holes
-Wooded holes require careful throws, but aren't punishing or too rugged.

One think I liked about this course is that there weren't any real surprise holes. Some courses have one or more quirky holes that require you to really know *that hole* and how to play it. This course is very straightforward, allowing you to focus on playing golf. Driving for placement, good upshots, and putting are all rewarded equally, not knowing one or two really tricky or weird shots. Good, consistent design.
Cons: Not too many cons, this is a really nice park. The only reason I wouldn't rate this as 4.5 or 5 is that I would like to see more par 4 or 5 holes. When I played, all of the pins were in the red position, so maybe the blue pin positions would make this better, but many of the greens are reachable from the tee, even from the long tees.
Other Thoughts: The $3 pay to play is certainly worth it. The guy at the desk was helpful, marking some of the confusing transitions between holes. The map/scorecard was clearly printed and easy to read. Really a beautiful place to play. If I'm in the area again, I will certainly play this course again.

Vacation Goodie

2-4    6/28/2011   7/21/2011
Review By: Brent Renken
Pros: Worth a stop if you're in Williamsburg on vacation or driving through.

Costs a couple bucks but you get a course map and you can purchase just about any disc you want from the main office.

These holes are some of the TOUGHest I've played but it was a blast to figure out. I played 4 times from the red tee and all but 2 holes where par 3, only the most experienced players should bother playing from the advanced tees. I would advise playing from the red tee if you only get one shot at this course...it will challenge you.

Challenges include distance, elevation variation and heavy foliage. Many of the holes start in the forest and end in the open terrain or vise versa. Accuracy AND power will be necessary to have any shot of making par. Watch out for the trick basket placements. You'll see the basket through the trees, throw the perfect shot and scowl as you get closer to notice that there was a steep incline behind the basket that left you out of reach from birdie...multiple holes fit this description...you'll know them when you see them.

They put great care into this course, it's well designed and you'll want to use every shot in your arsenal to have a chance at breaking even on this course.
Cons: TICKS were mentioned and I second that. I usually bring my dog with me but would recommend you leave yours at home because they will get ticks.

GPS has a difficult time finding the park...it's worth it to figure it.

You gotta play here!

5+    7/10/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: subymike77
Pros: -Friendly staff
-Very well maintained
-Great mix of challenges
-Beautiful location
This course is about 45 minutes away from my home but it is always well worth the drive. The holes have every kind of hole you can wish for except one. No water hazards. That's the only reason I couldn't give it a 5 disc rating. The first hole is a nice open warm up shot. The second goes straight then hooks to the left behind a grove of trees. The third is a long bomber that ends in the begining of the woods. Then, you step back out and around for a super fun down hill shot in the woods. Then back up hill in the wood and around the corner to a very well hidden pin on the crest of the hill. And the whole course continues like this. Open fairways, the stuffed into the woods, down hill, then up hill, open area the in the woods again. This course keeps you on your toes. Make sure to bring water and wear bug spray. You will not be disapointed in this course.
Cons: -Ticks
Other Thoughts: Great pro shop with an awesome selection of discs and a knowledgable staff.

fan-freakin-tastic

1    7/11/2011   7/12/2011
Review By: JohnnyWang
Pros: first off, props to the locals who obviously take pride in their course. this place was clean! the signs are very descriptive showing elevation changes, next tee and all distances. the park is very well maintained with great facilities including a pro shop in the ranger station with loads of goodies including star discs and innova markers with quarter park's(very well designed) logo, even loaners for the noob you should be bringing along... the holes are layed out very well! requiring every piece of plastic in your quiver, grip it and rip it or tight aceable holes, plenty of open and wooded holes and playing in and out of the woods... this place is fantastic, double tees with benches and bag hangers, I will stop so to not ruin the experience!
Cons: cons?....new quarter being 10 hours away from my home is the only one that comes to mind

perhaps signs at the long tee would improve things? maybe make 18 a par 3, I 4ed it easily. the parking could be a little closer I guess..the flags were missing on quite a few holes
Other Thoughts: I absolutely love this course second only to ceder hill in nashville and thats a real close one. I can not express how pleased I was with the service I received from the park staff and the great time I had playing this one by myself. I travel for a living and play new courses weekly, not knowing your way can be challenging, but a local scout troop has installed bag hanger posts with a red topper which makes finding the next pin easier than anywhere Iv played. very convenient! the fairways were very well maintained and the woods were not thick at all. each pin had a ball golf type flag sticking out of the top of their chainstar baskets making them easier to find when over a hill or behind a thicket. trying to keep this short since I hate long reviews.

BOTTOM LINE
go outta your way to play this one! by far the best in the area, extremely obvious someone put some thought into this course

Bring your bugspray

5+    10/2/2010   3/2/2011
Review By: All23Ways
Pros: Good mix of holes-wooded, open, short, long, straight, winding.

Beautiful setting - Be one with nature!
Cons: Bugs are ferocious in the summer! Check yourself for ticks when you get home.

The field grass can get almost 2ft tall in between cuttings. Watch your step, Ive seen several snakes during play.
Other Thoughts: Not necessarily a course for beginners. Make sure you bring bug spray and lots of water. The course can take almost an hour and a half to play depending on your group size (and throwing ability).

The setting is beautiful and very private. Even on busy days with lots of players, there is so much space between holes, you're not stumbling over each other.

Accuracy is key on several wooded holes. A slightly-errant throw right or left puts you 20ft down a ravene searching for your disc.

The park staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. Be sure to stop in and say hi.

Just an FYI

2-4    10/29/2009   1/9/2011
Review By: dwellman
Pros: Chainstars. Enough said.
Cons: It's been more than a year. I really don't remember. Must have not been any. Besides, I'm only writing this review for the info posted below.
Other Thoughts: I skimmed through the other reviews and I didn't see but if so, I wanted to re-iterate that your $3 fee is good for 24 hours: that is if you were to buy your round at 2:10 PM you can play until 2:10PM the next day.

Other than that, I've nothing to add to the reviews already posted. I only played twice and it was more than a year ago. I would play again.

Williamsburg Dream!

2-4    9/11/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: bettsjc
Pros: Usually when visiting a part of the country with limited disc golf choices, the courses around are typically passable and nothing beyond. New Quarter is a very big exception.

NQ is equipped with Chainstar baskets which are in excellent catching condition, some with flag poles to aid in the location of those difficult-to-see positions. Tee pads for white and blue tees are concrete and in excellent condition. The pads are not long, but are sufficient. Tee signs located at white tees are in excellent condition, depicting distance, par, map and hole name for both positions.

A pole with bag hooks are located on each tee. Not necessary, but make it alot easier to locate the next tee as they are quite visible and a nice little extra.

This course has a little of everything. Open holes, wooded holes with tight lines and interesting angles. Left turns, right turns. Some elevation comes in to play on 4 or 5 holes. Some shorties and a few opportunities to air one out.

The layout of this course is beautiful. The park is very clean, dispite lack of trash cans along the way. Benches located on a few of the blue tee pads.

Navigation is not a problem. Course flows fairly well. Full color scorecards/maps available at the park office. There are also arrows on the bottom of each basket pole pointing the way to the next tee.

One of the few times I may list the $3/day fee as a pro. The funds coming in from DG seem to be put to good use, reflected by the course conditions. Office has a large selection of plastic and other accessories for sale, along with disc and bag rentals for those out-of-towners or newbies without gear. Greeter at office was very helpful and considerate, especially for not being a DGer himself. They seemed very pleased to have me out there, as I was very pleased to experience this one!
Cons: I could put that the course was boring, lacked necessities or was repetitive, but these would all be lies. A couple more benches might have been nice, but not really a problem. Bugs could be plentiful in the summer, but where on the east coast aren't they?

Alternate pin placements on a few holes that are not depicted on tee signs that can be deceiving. Maybe not so obvious on the first go around but not a problem with locals.

Overall, nothing bad to say about New Quarter.
Other Thoughts: This was my first pay-to-play experience, and I was not disappointed. Staffers that are friendly, knowledgable and hospitible. Stopped by Newport News before my round at NQ and was turned away because of a cross country meet. Got to NQ, found out there was a big 8k race on site and they kindly guided me around and allowed me and others to play. Thank you NQ!

New Quarter has a $3/day or yearly membership of $25 fee, the yearly fee I would gladly pay if I lived in the area. I look forward to visiting the area again just to play New Quarter.