Williamsburg, VA
Hole #7 Blue Tee

You gotta play here!

5+    7/10/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: subymike77
Pros: -Friendly staff
-Very well maintained
-Great mix of challenges
-Beautiful location
This course is about 45 minutes away from my home but it is always well worth the drive. The holes have every kind of hole you can wish for except one. No water hazards. That's the only reason I couldn't give it a 5 disc rating. The first hole is a nice open warm up shot. The second goes straight then hooks to the left behind a grove of trees. The third is a long bomber that ends in the begining of the woods. Then, you step back out and around for a super fun down hill shot in the woods. Then back up hill in the wood and around the corner to a very well hidden pin on the crest of the hill. And the whole course continues like this. Open fairways, the stuffed into the woods, down hill, then up hill, open area the in the woods again. This course keeps you on your toes. Make sure to bring water and wear bug spray. You will not be disapointed in this course.
Cons: -Ticks
Other Thoughts: Great pro shop with an awesome selection of discs and a knowledgable staff.

fan-freakin-tastic

1    7/11/2011   7/12/2011
Review By: JohnnyWang
Pros: first off, props to the locals who obviously take pride in their course. this place was clean! the signs are very descriptive showing elevation changes, next tee and all distances. the park is very well maintained with great facilities including a pro shop in the ranger station with loads of goodies including star discs and innova markers with quarter park's(very well designed) logo, even loaners for the noob you should be bringing along... the holes are layed out very well! requiring every piece of plastic in your quiver, grip it and rip it or tight aceable holes, plenty of open and wooded holes and playing in and out of the woods... this place is fantastic, double tees with benches and bag hangers, I will stop so to not ruin the experience!
Cons: cons?....new quarter being 10 hours away from my home is the only one that comes to mind

perhaps signs at the long tee would improve things? maybe make 18 a par 3, I 4ed it easily. the parking could be a little closer I guess..the flags were missing on quite a few holes
Other Thoughts: I absolutely love this course second only to ceder hill in nashville and thats a real close one. I can not express how pleased I was with the service I received from the park staff and the great time I had playing this one by myself. I travel for a living and play new courses weekly, not knowing your way can be challenging, but a local scout troop has installed bag hanger posts with a red topper which makes finding the next pin easier than anywhere Iv played. very convenient! the fairways were very well maintained and the woods were not thick at all. each pin had a ball golf type flag sticking out of the top of their chainstar baskets making them easier to find when over a hill or behind a thicket. trying to keep this short since I hate long reviews.

BOTTOM LINE
go outta your way to play this one! by far the best in the area, extremely obvious someone put some thought into this course

Bring your bugspray

5+    10/2/2010   3/2/2011
Review By: All23Ways
Pros: Good mix of holes-wooded, open, short, long, straight, winding.

Beautiful setting - Be one with nature!
Cons: Bugs are ferocious in the summer! Check yourself for ticks when you get home.

The field grass can get almost 2ft tall in between cuttings. Watch your step, Ive seen several snakes during play.
Other Thoughts: Not necessarily a course for beginners. Make sure you bring bug spray and lots of water. The course can take almost an hour and a half to play depending on your group size (and throwing ability).

The setting is beautiful and very private. Even on busy days with lots of players, there is so much space between holes, you're not stumbling over each other.

Accuracy is key on several wooded holes. A slightly-errant throw right or left puts you 20ft down a ravene searching for your disc.

The park staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. Be sure to stop in and say hi.

Just an FYI

2-4    10/29/2009   1/9/2011
Review By: dwellman
Pros: Chainstars. Enough said.
Cons: It's been more than a year. I really don't remember. Must have not been any. Besides, I'm only writing this review for the info posted below.
Other Thoughts: I skimmed through the other reviews and I didn't see but if so, I wanted to re-iterate that your $3 fee is good for 24 hours: that is if you were to buy your round at 2:10 PM you can play until 2:10PM the next day.

Other than that, I've nothing to add to the reviews already posted. I only played twice and it was more than a year ago. I would play again.

Williamsburg Dream!

2-4    9/11/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: bettsjc
Pros: Usually when visiting a part of the country with limited disc golf choices, the courses around are typically passable and nothing beyond. New Quarter is a very big exception.

NQ is equipped with Chainstar baskets which are in excellent catching condition, some with flag poles to aid in the location of those difficult-to-see positions. Tee pads for white and blue tees are concrete and in excellent condition. The pads are not long, but are sufficient. Tee signs located at white tees are in excellent condition, depicting distance, par, map and hole name for both positions.

A pole with bag hooks are located on each tee. Not necessary, but make it alot easier to locate the next tee as they are quite visible and a nice little extra.

This course has a little of everything. Open holes, wooded holes with tight lines and interesting angles. Left turns, right turns. Some elevation comes in to play on 4 or 5 holes. Some shorties and a few opportunities to air one out.

The layout of this course is beautiful. The park is very clean, dispite lack of trash cans along the way. Benches located on a few of the blue tee pads.

Navigation is not a problem. Course flows fairly well. Full color scorecards/maps available at the park office. There are also arrows on the bottom of each basket pole pointing the way to the next tee.

One of the few times I may list the $3/day fee as a pro. The funds coming in from DG seem to be put to good use, reflected by the course conditions. Office has a large selection of plastic and other accessories for sale, along with disc and bag rentals for those out-of-towners or newbies without gear. Greeter at office was very helpful and considerate, especially for not being a DGer himself. They seemed very pleased to have me out there, as I was very pleased to experience this one!
Cons: I could put that the course was boring, lacked necessities or was repetitive, but these would all be lies. A couple more benches might have been nice, but not really a problem. Bugs could be plentiful in the summer, but where on the east coast aren't they?

Alternate pin placements on a few holes that are not depicted on tee signs that can be deceiving. Maybe not so obvious on the first go around but not a problem with locals.

Overall, nothing bad to say about New Quarter.
Other Thoughts: This was my first pay-to-play experience, and I was not disappointed. Staffers that are friendly, knowledgable and hospitible. Stopped by Newport News before my round at NQ and was turned away because of a cross country meet. Got to NQ, found out there was a big 8k race on site and they kindly guided me around and allowed me and others to play. Thank you NQ!

New Quarter has a $3/day or yearly membership of $25 fee, the yearly fee I would gladly pay if I lived in the area. I look forward to visiting the area again just to play New Quarter.

Well Done

2-4    6/13/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: justinTHEcoastie
Pros: Well maintained; good mix of short and long, downhill and uphill; beautiful scenery.
Cons: Short tee pads, there are a few that you can't really step behind to start because of slope. That sucks for tall people such as myself. Also, not free, that's always a con.
Other Thoughts: This is the nicest course in the hampton roads area and it's well worth fighting Virginia traffic.

Amazing course, terrible ticks

1    6/10/2010   6/11/2010
Review By: norcalrock15
Pros: Holes were very challenging
Scorecard and map were very helpful
Disc store at front office
Nice variety of holes
Cons: TICKS!!!
Five of us played, three of us hit with ticks. One of us ended up having five ticks on him. Bugspray just isn't enough here my friends. These things are swarming.

The only other con is that this course can definitely be a disc eater if your throw veers to far off.
Other Thoughts: I wish the old man at the office would of just given us at least a heads up about the tick infestation when we paid. That way we would of been searching for the ticks, instead of finding them 2 hours later sucking our bodies dry and giving us lyme disease.

Class of the Area

1    5/29/2010   6/6/2010
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: * The course is in disc golf only area situated in a large, regional park designated a 'bird sanctuary'
* DG office has a good variety of discs for sale as well as discs/bags available for rental
* Maps/scorecard available at office minimize possible navigation issues
* Amenities on site (bathroom, water)
* Am/Pro Concrete Tee pads facilitate enjoyment for multiple skill levels
* Tee signs at AM tees / baskets in good condition
* The benches provide a needed break on multiple holes
* Nice balance of open/wooded holes
* Necessitates shot variety with a mix of right/left/straight throws off the tee and/also as the hole progresses
* Well designed course with a nice flow with the available elevation incorporated ingeniuosly
* Challenging mentally and physically
* Minimal possibility of disc loss and lack of other annoyances leaves one free to focus on enjoying the round

Cons: * $3 pay to play may be disincentive for some players however this place is worth it
* Abundance of ticks
* Lack of tee signs at Pro tees (not really a problem, just being picky cuz ya pay to play)

Other Thoughts: What a pleasure it is to have the opportunity to play a course such as this.
Practically every aspect is well thought out and designed with emphasis on the player's enjoyment.
It appeals to a wide range of players - from those who've never played (with disc/bag rental availability,
amateur tees, maps/scorecards, helpful/friendly/instructional staff, amenities) to seasoned veterans
(pro tees offering a greater challenge w/more shot variety needed and physical/mental demands).

While the pay to play aspect may deter some, it was worth the 3 bucks as far as I'm concerned.
I could nit-pick about the lack of tee signs at the pro tees but with the map provided at the office,
this wasn't a real concern - its the type of course you'd be familiar with after just a single round.

I will mention that the ticks were excessive even with bug spray. After every hole, we did a tick check
at each tee and I'd say either one of us found a tick (usually on our socks) on over half the holes - so be mindful.

What I was most impressed with was the balance playing from the pro tees - a good mix of right/left/straight shots,
distance, risk/reward, elevation, shot variety (backhand/foerhand/roller/tomahawk/open bombs/precise woods carving, etc)
and most of all - Fun Factor. I never felt at risk of losing a disc as the woods holes were clear of thick brush and
the open holes provided ample room to avoid the dense brush/woods on the borders.

The design and flow of the course was seamless - it just felt 'right' when playing (meaning no major issues or problems
which detracted from trying to play a solid round). I didn't feel there were any 'epic' holes but certainly
some wonderfully fun/challenging ones which stick in my mind. However, I usually look at a course as a whole rather
than focusing on 'stand out' holes so this wasn't at all an issue.

Although challenging, I wouldn't consider this course excessively difficult from the pro tees - really fair in my mind.
Its one of those must plays if in, around or near the area - a destination course for sure. As described by a response to
a roadtrip forum post I created: 'This is the class of the area'. True words indeed. So give New Quarter Park a play - you'll have a blast.

2-4    5/24/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 10/31/2012
Pros: This is a very good course, enjoyable play on a tough, fair course.
- Course does a great job of using natural obstacles - well placed baskets behind trees, along the edge of the woods, elevation variations, etc.
- Good variety of hole layouts. Two birdie chances to start the round, then plenty of tougher holes. I liked the tight, wooded, downhill shot on #4 followed by the tight, uphill, dogleg right on #5. Even the open holes required some strategic shots, especially #6 & 7. You'll definitely find a couple holes you really liked on this course, and also a couple you really don't care for.
- Great mix of open and wooded holes. I really liked the back-and-forth flow of open and wooded holes throughout the course. There are a couple open, followed by a couple wooded holes throughout, so you never felt like you were getting too many of one.
- Course has long & short basket placements to spice things up. I really enjoyed some of the longer basket placements, especially #10. Instead of a average, ho-hum hole, the long basket plays into the woods.
- Nice clubhouse with a huge selection of discs. Newbies can rent discs or buy ones if they choose. The guy working there was really helpful. I also liked the added touch of having cans of bug spray right outside the front door. It's the little things like that which go a long way.
- Nice detailed course map and scorecards are available.
- Low risk of losing discs for having so many wooded holes. The wooded holes aren't thick with trees, so should be able to find any errant shots.
- Great natural scenery. For the most part, course is very secluded from the rest of the park.
- Park is very clean. I don't remember seeing any trash - bottles, cans, etc. anywhere on the course. Maybe the $3 keeps the litterbugs away.
Cons: No major problems to speak of, only a couple small things.
- Course had minor flow problems on, or between, a couple holes. On #3 tee, it's hard to pinpoint which opening in the woods is the fairway. Markers/ribbons on trees would help. Between #2 & 7, the long tee pads are somewhat close, so better signage/tee marker can clear up an possible confusion. Also walk between a couple holes was slightly confusing. Again, these were minor problems.
- Baskets are metallic colored, instead of bright yellow DISCatchers, so they're hard to spot on some of the wooded holes, especially when playing on a cloudy day (like I was).
- For those who care, you don't pass any water fountains or restrooms once out on the course. It's a short walk back to the building, so it's not a real problem.
- There was little variety in shots/hole layouts from the short to long tees. Almost every hole had the long tee essentially placed right behind the short tee 50 - 150 feet back, so you didn't get different looks or angles playing one to the other.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. It reminded me a lot of Hornets Nest, which is a very good thing.
- The course kept things very simple. Sometimes a well-placed basket behind one or two trees is just as difficult as one placed behind 20.
- This course had more dogleg right holes than normal courses. There are seven true dog legs (#4, 5, 9, 10, 15, 17 &18), with some being minor/gradual doglegs to extreme ones (#5).
- There were a lot of fun, well laid-out holes on this course. The back-to-back of #15 & 16 was a great stretch. #15 tees off at the edge, and over, a slight ridge to a dogleg right. #16 is a wooded hole to a basket in the bottom of a slight ravine. Both take smart shots; both have good risk/reward factor, and both have nice scenery to take in.
- I think all types of players will enjoy this course - from beginners to advanced, to those who prefer open courses to wooded-hole fans. Everyone should enjoy the variation.
- The $3 daily play/$25 year-long pass is well worth the price. Anyone living in Williamsburg is getting there money's worth for the season pass.

Worth every Quarter

1    4/25/2010   5/2/2010
Review By: DWill
Pros: Nice duel concrete teepads at each hole, with excellent and informative teesigns. Multiple pin locations offer additional flexibility. Each basket has an arrow indicating the direction of the next tee. This made course navigation much easier, and a map wasn't really necessary.

Great use of elevation, present at almost every hole. Maybe the best mix of left/right, open/wooded and long/short holes I've seen, it has basically every type of hole one can think of.

On site pro shop, with disc/equipment for sale, score card and map available as well as clean bathrooms.

Well maintained, the grass and surrounding areas are very nice. The nice Irish gentleman at the Park Office is very helpful directing you to the course for first timers.
Cons: Very little to complain about here. I felt that the teepads were a little too short for my liking, and where only noticeable on the longer holes.
Other Thoughts: You have to pay $3/day or $25/annually. If this was my home course, I would have no issues paying the annual fee. My home course is in a state park that charges an entrance fee, that is more per year than $25. I've also paid over $7 to play a crappy 9 hole course for one round, so this is a bargain.

This is a very beautiful family park, that has plenty of other things for the family to do while you are out playing around or two.

Conveniently located not too far off of I64, stop by, it's well worth it.