Altoona, PA
Valley View Park Share
Uploaded By: KAK3990 Hole #2 (Taken 7/2014)

1 2 Next >
 I like it.

2-4    10/3/2008   10/7/2008
Review By: Jimb
This review was updated on 10/16/2008
Pros: I agree with most of what the previous review had to say. There are nice signs and concrete tees. The holes have a nice mix of open and "in the woods"
throws. There are both severe uphill and downhill shots. There's the need for hyzers and anhyzers. There's the need for finesse and the need for power. The facilities are well kept, including bathrooms, playground and picnic areas.
Cons: Unfortunately, the pins are pulled from sometime in November until Spring. This cuts down on the playing time available for the course. Call the local parks and recreation dept. before planning a trip there if you're from out of town. And there are only single tees and pins.
Other Thoughts: Where I disagree with the previous review would be in regards to holes #4 & #5. Once you find your way to #4 (around the road, past the nursing home, over the bridge, to grandmother's house), I really like the hole. You can't reasonably expect to birdie the hole (often if ever), but you should be able to par it most of the time. The landing area for your tee shot is small and requires good control. Otherwise, you're deep in the woods and looking at bogie/double bogie territory. From there, it's a relatively short approach to the pin.

And to me #5 also just requires an accurate, controlled tee shot as the hole is only 200' long. It's narrow and sloping all of the way, but not unplayable. And even if you end up in the woods, as I frequently do, the up-shots aren't too bad.

On #6, though, I totally agree with the previous assessment. (And #8 is similar, but to a lesser degree because it's shorter.) The #6 tee shot is essentially a crapshoot. Just whip it into the woods about 150' to the nearly 90 degree dog leg and hope that the tree... that you will hit... bounces you in a good direction. If not, you're in deep doo doo again. I'm all about leaving as many tress standing as possible and not clear cutting the land. But this hole really is one of my least favorite holes on any course that I've played (and not just because I score poorly on it all of the time, but because it's too much about luck and not enough about skill).

In any case, I really enjoy this little course for what it is. 8 out of 9 enjoyable holes and a good cardio workout climbing the mountain a couple of times.

*Note: This is the first course I played on when I started playing the official game of disc golf in the spring of 2007. So it has a special place in my heart as I've just come to love the game all over again. I played target disc golf in the early 80's with my best friend and we didn't even know that there was an official game out there at the time. Thanks for indulging my memory lane trip here.

Plus Chili's is right up the road! ;-)

Woods & Slopes

9/16/2007   9/17/2007
Review By: MattK
Pros: The course is easy to get to from the highway. Has concrete tees and signs for every hole. Great use of the changes in elevation, as well as the foliage outside of the woods. The big downhill 9th is one of those "throw everything you've got" holes - a fun one to finish on.
Cons: A long walk from the 3rd to the 4th where the course enters the woods - easy to get lost if you don't know where you're going. The wooded holes progress from irritating to worse - the concept of throwing lanes and landing zones gets progressively more lost from 4 to 5 to 6.
Other Thoughts: I'd call this one a woods course because even though most of the holes aren't technically in the woods most of the strokes taken will be. It was worth the trip from State College for a little variety, but likely not worth it from Pittsburgh since there are so many better courses there.

1 2 Next >