Glencoe, IL
Watts Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #5 (Taken 9/2010)

1 2 Next >
 Nice little short course

1    6/20/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
Pros: This little course is set up in a scenic, well-maintained park in the midst of a nice neighborhood. Tees are rubber pads. Nice signage, and rubber pads installed pretty well (ie not lumpy)

Uses scattered trees in park to force some control and different lines, which is good since the holes are fairly short. Obstacles in play on every single hole keeps things a bit interesting. Hole nine is probably the signature hole, it plays to a basket on top of sledding hill. Neat.

Good quality signs and hole maps, easy to navigate. Good flow. Great course to take younger or more inexperienced players to learn control. Meanwhile, it gives you a chance to practice your midrange & putting game.
Cons: Maintenance. Several baskets have the bottoms falling out. Thus, a disc lands in the basket, and falls right through. Also, the rubber tee pads, while nice to tee from, and not lumpy, all sag down in the middle and thus collect water, which makes throwing inconvenient after a rain.

All the holes here are short (less than 300) which makes it easy for most players.

Hole 9's teepad is nonexistant, so just shoot from the worn dirt spot that faces the sled hill.

The park is dead flat, other than the sledding hill, with only scattered trees. This greatly limits the potential for shots. Though there are trees in play on every hole, nothing really too unusual of impressive. It'll put your mid game through the paces, but not really push or challenge you in particular.
Other Thoughts: This park is not all that big, and its a wonder they even got 9 reasonable holes in here. The course really makes the best possible use of the the available land, and does provide some challenges, albeit pretty standard, bland ones.

Not a bad course for a quick round if you're around, but I wouldn't go out of your way at all to play this one.

Well-designed but overwhelmingly mediocre course with pretty good tees and signs in a nice little park.

Short n easy

5+    6/7/2009   6/7/2009
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 12/5/2009
Pros: The course is set in a small lightly wooded park with tennis courts and a baseball field. The course plays around these, and is completely flat other than a single hole playing up a sled hill. The park is very well maintained, with nicely mowed grass and no trash around.

Though there is no rough on the course, the mature trees in the park are used well to define fairways and preferred routes on some of the holes, and make shots more difficult after poor tee shots. Most of the holes are straight shots, but a couple use trees to make left or right turning shots the best route.

There are nice handmade wooden tee signs on each hole, with a small drawing of the hole layout and the distance, along with the direction to the next tee. The course is extremely easy to navigate, with no questions about where to find the basket or the next tee. There are a few places where the edge of the park is overgrown, but other than this there are really no places to lose discs.

The last hole plays up a sled hill, and makes great use of the little bit of elevation available in the park. This is my favorite hole on the course, and is probably the most challenging.
Cons: The course is very short, with no holes over 270'. Nearly all the holes are short and straight, with just a few trees that really come into play. Any player with experience will find this course very easy, and will likely not need drivers at all.

The tee pads are rubber over wooden boxes. The ground underneath many of them was not well leveled, so many of them have torn or become worn and slanted. They were also very slippery when they had any kind of mud on them, and made for uncertain footing.

There was not a lot of land to work with here, but the course is very packed in. Many holes play right on top of each other or alongside other holes. When there are other players on the course, it can be a bit of a safety hazard, so watch for throws from other holes. The course is also right on top of a walking path, along with the spectator area for the baseball field, so other park users can be in the way.
Other Thoughts: This course is great for beginning players, or for working on your putt and approach game. I often play this course with just a putter, and it has helped out my short game tremendously. That said, it doesn't offer much in the way of interest or challenge, so I wouldn't recommend driving too far out of your way to play this course. If you're in the area and want a quick round though, this course is just fine.

Good For a Quickie

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: Nigel
Pros: Plenty of trees to provide a challenge; lots of opportunities for aces at this course
Cons: Broken basket on first hole, kids sometime crowd around the baskets on holes 3 & 5, just yell at them
Other Thoughts: The baseball field can bring out the brats, but the younger kids can't really hit any homers so DGers and outfielders never clash

Frolfing In A Neighborhood

1    5/10/2009   5/10/2009
Review By: Seananagins
Pros: Very Clean Park
Easy to figure out where you are shooting and where the next hole is
The 9th hole ads a little vertical twist that i enjoyed.
Cons: The first hole's basket is in disrepair and causes a difficult birdie if your second shot is further out.
The 9th hole's tee is in whacking distance of home plate of the baseball field the course shares the park with.
Other Thoughts: It is right by my parents house so its a good place to go to keep me in my game while I'm visiting, but I'm sure glad its not my home course or i'd die of boredom.

B = Bery Bery Nice 9-Holer

5+    7/19/2007   4/19/2009
This review was updated on 6/8/2009
Pros: Like many shorter 9-holers, I play this one with a midrange and putter. My review is based on that.

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Quick and Easy if in area

1    6/20/2007   4/7/2009
Review By: coyotepower
Pros: Nice Trees, Clean Park, Noone else on course. Good for Beginners
Cons: Kinda Ho-hum. Not a ton of space
Other Thoughts: I figured I would post on this one since noone else has. I played this course on a trip home in June of 2007 with my Bro (his first time playing) Nice if you are in the area, Backs up to some backyards, some fairly decent holes nonetheless. Good for beginners. Small Park.

1 2 Next >