Newark, OH
River View DGC Share
Uploaded By: sisyphus Hole #18 (Taken 12/2015)

Ace Race, anyone?

2-4    12/20/2015   12/21/2015
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: The nice thing about this new 18 hole course is that it offers some good variety for beginners, casuals, and Recreational level players to hone both their open field and woods/ technical shots. Boasting bright, new signage with hole distances and beautiful, new DGA baskets featuring number plates and nice deep cages, River View starts out just south of the end parking lot (on the river view side, naturally) with six relatively open holes working up the asphalt walk/jog path toward the north, two more doubling back to the south, and nine very short, moderate to lightly wooded holes before one more open shot to finish behind the building, back near where you parked.

The open holes range from the 514' long hole 6 to the 186' hole 18. The wooded holes would be perfect for hosting a Discraft Ace Race, as they use the elevation and trees very well, and range from a couple of uphill, hundred foot putter ace runs to a surprisingly challenge-worthy 178 footer on 17, where you'll often face into a funneled breeze and shoot out to a basket near the 'patio' and parking area (guarded a little bit by a cluster of pines), both of which should obviously be played as OB.

Personally, I was a little worried at the start, that the open holes required little in the way of line shaping, and not enough distance to challenge advanced players, but the fun factor really ramped up in the woods, where players with Intermediate or above skills can play a little 'deuce or die'. Sue me, but I -like- deuces (and ace runs) for fun, casual rounds! As long as you come knowing that's what's in store here at River View, you too can have a good time.
Cons: Clearly, this is not a competition level course. The longer holes aren't overly demanding, and the short holes aren't going to challenge an experienced player. Conversely, the holes by the river and path might be daunting for absolute beginners, in that their lack of control might wind up with discs in the creekside rough, or even in the water. And the blind shot down and across the path on hole #3 could be dangerous. The other danger zone might be where new players throw at the 'patio', parking lot, and building on 17.

The natural turf tees are currently unmarked, meaning folks will choose to throw from any advantageous position. On the short woods holes, that makes a great deal of difference in difficulty from spot A to spot B (on the other side of the sign).

Finally, it's a shame for a new course to already be missing a sign (#2). Hopefully, this is a one time thing, and they don't have problems.
Other Thoughts: Added a course map (schematic) and pictures.

Reviewer Background as of this writing: age 54 w/ 4 yrs experience, rated 900+/-, played 245+ courses in 23 states, 80% w/in 3hr drive of Cincinnati. Thrown with folks rated 600's to 1000's, ages 9 to 85 in events and leagues at all tiers. Seldom drive beyond 300-330, but have a solid up-shot and putting game. I haven't designed any courses, but try to lend a hand (with my severely desk-job limited skill set) when I can.

More fun than expected

1    12/10/2015   12/14/2015
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
Pros: Tons of ace runs! I have never played such a short course in which I didn't feel like I wasted my time. The land available is a strip back and forth so there wasn't a ton of room to put in 18 holes. From a personal perspective I agree with the earlier reviewer that this might've been able to be a pretty rad 9 hole course; however, I met several nice people on the course that were walking around with 1-2 discs each. While selfishly I would like every hole to challenge me, I think this course in this park is perfectly suited to the beginner-level player. It is what it is...let it live!
Also, I threw multiple shots on most of the holes, and even spent time looking for a disc in the brush...and finished in just over an hour after my first time playing.
Finally, the flow is super easy to follow.
Cons: I mean, we are talking SHORT holes on the back 9. I didn't take notes, but if you told me that every hole was under 200' I wouldn't call you a liar. However, they are wooded at least so it's not like a bunch of baskets in a field.
The shule along the river is worse than the river itself, so be weary (I'd rather carry the shule and get wet if my goal is to find my disc).
Hole 3 does throw blindly and slightly downhill into the mouth of a walking path. I wouldn't be surprised if an innocent jogger (of which I saw a few) doesn't get tanked eventually. It would be super easy to walk ahead 100' to make sure the path is clear...I just hope my fellow discers do that.
Hole 1 is somewhat tough to find the first time. If you park in the back lot and turn away from the lone building, you will see a decent dirt mound. Go left and behind that dirt mound and you are good to go for the rest of the round.
Some of the holes in the woods start mere feet from the last basket. It was pretty slow while I was there, but if you are playing with a back-up, keep your head on a swivel and remember to yell FORE!
Other Thoughts: I will be honest...I expected to play this course solely as a way to increase my total course count. I did NOT think I'd have as much fun as I did. Granted, it was probably because if you play this enough you'll get a ton of aces. If you're an out-of-towner looking for a local challenge, hit up Lobdell or head into Columbus. If you're coming from the east I suppose this would be a decent warm-up round for Lobdell, although Horns Hill has more diversity (but takes longer to play).
I recommend that you play the walking path as OB for extra challenge on the front 9. The signs don't require it, but they also have overly generous pars listed. Make it a decent challenge by adding OB and playing par 3s.
Finally, I've heard some grumbling about the part of town this is in. Sure, it's not Newark's finest avenue, but I felt utterly safe in the park.

Well intentioned urban neighborhood course

1    11/24/2015   11/25/2015
Review By: Mulligan
Pros: -Easy to get to, located in a quiet residential area near some other recreation fields and a multiuse walking/biking trail.
-Runs right next to a lazy river thats pretty.
-Roughly half open and half wooded.
-DGA Baskets catch well but have a tight basket area so force a little bit better putting.
-Nice signage with advertising which hopefully indicates community investment.
-Didn't see much issue with litter.
-A couple small elevation changes.
-Nice to have close to the center of town and hopefully a good draw for kids and new players.
Cons: -No tee pads. So slightly wet and muddy, and the grass is getting tore up pretty quickly.
-I didn't take a tally but the pars listed on the signage are silly. I think anything around 200ft was considered a par 4, for instance. Vets know to ignore this, but new players might be surprised if this is their first course and then go elsewhere...
-The biggest con is the multiuse trail being in the middle, or directly adjacent to, fairways on the front 8 holes. In some cases, its totally in play, as in #3 where you are tossing over a berm and the basket is blind, but the paved trail runs right along the best flight path. I played mid week during the day and only saw one biker, but if this trail is busy during the weekend, could be dangerous.
-Not really a creative course design. Those first 8 are all pretty much longer, straight shots, so probably good holes to work on distance. But then the last ten are kind of comically short. 3-4 are really short, like sub 150ft.
-One basket was on its side, and I don't think it was pushed over, just looked like didn't have enough cement around the pole and had fallen under its own weight. If thats the case, these might be easy to steal or have problems down the line.
-On a couple shots, the river to the left is in play if you get too much fade. The river in play isn't a con, but the banks have some serious thorn bushes that want to eat you alive! Beware.
-Basically, its a two disc course. A straight shooting fairway or control driver on the front, and a putter is literally all you need for the last 10 holes.
Other Thoughts: -Disc Golf courses are kind of like pizza... even when its bad, its still pretty good.
-My issue with this course is that its ultimately kind of boring for an intermediate player or above, and the front 8 are so vastly different from the back 10 as to seem like two different courses. But none of it is really all that interesting.
-For me, this is a prime example of how jamming 18 into a space is less preferable to a well designed and creative 9. Plus, the money that would have been saved on the extra 9 baskets could have been used on concrete tee pads (possibly even multiple positions).
-I'd have rather seen a 9 with more use of the hilly wooded area and staying clear of the multi use trail, even though the river view is pretty.
-Not a course I'd go out of my way to play again, but if it was in my backyard I'd be very happy to have it.
-Well intentioned, but I have a feeling this was built without any input from actual disc golfers.
-Stop on your way to Horn's Hill and use your putter only. Play 1, 2, maybe 3, and then jump to 9-18 in the woods for a good warm up.