Muskegon, MI

< Prev 1 2 3
It Was OK....

1    7/21/2013   7/22/2013
Review By: xrockfistx
Pros: -Quiet Park
-Clean Park
-Wasn't busy. We went on a Sunday afternoon and I think that the where a grand total of 10 people in the park and it's a pretty big park.
-More than 1 tee a holes to provide different angles and lengths.
Cons: The layout is seriously screwy. The first 7 holes are easily found with big tee markers at each pad. To get to hole 8 you have to walk on the side of a busy road. There, you play 8 and 9. Then walk back across the street to play hole 10. (We skipped this hole because, we could not find a tee marker and it is played with a river/channel on the right hand side). Walk back across the street to hole 11. Walk back up the hill for hole 12 and 13. Down, the hill for 14, up the hill for 15 and back down the hill for 16, 17,18. Then you are not back at the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: They're putting in cement tee pads while we where there. I think about 3 of them where dug out with the boards in place.

I would not travel out of my way to visit. It's close to Pere Marquette beach, so if you're headed that way, it would be okay to stop. It was nice to disc and then take a dip in the lake.

If you're a beginner, I would probably skip the course. Most holes are easy but, there a few tight fairways and water hazards.

5+    1/15/2013   1/16/2013
Review By: Xcaliiber
Pros: New and improved double chains! grabs the discs out of the air! This course is slowly turning into a tournament course! Great Balance of long holes and short. Big oak trees but other than that open fairways, until you hit the back 9 it has some tough narrow holes.
Cons: Dirt tee pads, Swampy areas on 11,14,16,18. No way of knowning where the basket is, no map layout.
Other Thoughts: Teepads coming soon!

McGraft Park

5+    12/20/2012   1/15/2013
Review By: nickrockey
This review was updated on 6/28/2013
Pros: + Centrally located for Western Muskegon. +Umm, it has baskets...
+If you like l-o-n-g drives, it has quite a few.
+You can generally meet some nice folks.
+Lots of BIG trees for some fun 'pinball'!
+Hole 7 short tee is one of my favorites, you can throw out over the road and have it cut back, pretty cool!
Cons: -Really, really, really bad dirt tee pads, probably the worst I have played

UPDATE ***I hear they are putting in concrete pads this summer thanks to tee pad sponsorships, that is very cool!

- A few spots you can completely loose your disc, such as holes 10 and 11, 16 I think?
- (they) did not take advantage of the topagraphy.
-A lot of the hole play right along side of two different roads, Twice I have had a drive land in the road and people driving stop and pick them up, lost one that way. I have seen it happen to other people and discs run over!
-No signs / arrows
-Flow is really goofy, you have to walk from basket 7 on the road to 8 and then cross that road to get to 10 then cross it again to get back
-Some of the front 9 holes are weird because you can mistake which basket you are actually throwing for.
Other Thoughts: ^It is better than nothing?
^Personally, with concrete tee pads, maybe some benches and signs I think this place 'could' be pretty good.
^It does get ALOT of play! I have been here many times and seen people on every hole!
^Hole 2 plays next to a basketball court, Saw a fight breakout after a 'baller' got hit
^A few holes play along a swamp, stay out the water! Don't drink it and if you get it on you, wash up soon, it is toxic.

California guys says "nice course!"

1    11/2/2011   11/5/2011
Review By: Alpinemaps
Pros: Course was busy on a Wednesday morning in November, which tells me it's enjoyed by the locals. Talked to another player on another course, who recommended the course to me as an out-of-towner.

As an out-of-towner from San Diego, I really enjoyed the course. It was windy and cold, but not unexpected for November.

I enjoyed the variety of the course, as there were some wooded/tree-lined holes, some short holes, some long holes, some wide-open holes.

As someone that is used to wide-open courses, this course was challenging, and a course that I enjoyed. As I walked the course, I wished my local buddies could have played with me. This is a course that would be heavy in our rotation.
Cons: Finding holes, especially on the front 9, was a challenge. The course map is sorely out of date. There were times when I'd throw a hole, to discover I was throwing at the wrong basket, and had to restart the hole.

The distances and pars are not marked. The course map and descriptions here indicate short and long tees, but they don't actually exist for all holes.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really enjoyed this course. Being from California, I'm not used to courses like this where I play. I really enjoyed this, and look forward to playing this course again (hopefully before I leave on this current visit). This course would be my "home" course if I lived in town.

The conditions were pretty good, considering the weather conditions. I enjoyed the narrow lanes on some of the holes, and the wide-open-ness of other holes.

The short/long tees are annoying - sometimes they exist, other times they don't. Sometimes, the short and long tees are right next to one another. On one hole (#15), the short tee is about half way to the hole from the long tee. The inconsistancy is bothersome, but didn't really take away from my enjoyment of the course.

I enjoyed having to throw through all the trees - you really have to plan your shots.

Really looking forward to playing this course every time I'm in Muskegon. Did notice an old sign for a nighttime winter league (starting January 2011) - don't know if I'd be willing to try that, but I commend you locals for doing it. Sounds like a good time!

Needs some work

1    7/4/2011   7/5/2011
Review By: nvelting
Pros: The course has a great deal of variety. There are long and short open holes, a few lightly wooded holes, a few heavily wooded holes, and water involved while playing.
Cons: The map linked on this site is about as wrong as you can get. You will be lost unless you play with or get the advice of a local who is familiar with the course layout. The tee pads (worn in dirt areas) leave much to be desired and pose injury risk with their unevenness or exposed tree roots.
Other Thoughts: All of the water is marked as either polluted or hazardous. I found out that the surrounding waters were previously a super-fund site and it would be nice to know if those waters are now safe or not.

1    8/25/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Navigation-- First six are easy to follow.

Variety-- Reasonable, I actually liked hole 11 through the swampy forest, but hated #10 along ruddiman creek.

Cons: Navigation-- is a nightmare. navigation between hole 6&7 and then from 7 to 11 is nightmarish. There are NO directional signs that tell you to cross the creek to 8/9 and then cross the road to 10. Many reviews state that people just skip 8, 9, 10 (which I hated anyways).

Dual tees-- usually a pro. apparently, there are two tees for 7? one goes around the band shell and one goes through the sledding hill to the right? Not marked, not on a map, how would any one know

Non-discers-- BUSY park with non-discers everywhere. Hole one was unplayable as there was a huge picnic right on the teepad, hole six there was a small picnic party thing right on the fairway.

Variety-- While the variety is reasonable. there were too many long straight holes through the trees for me, would have liked more heaviliy wooded holes.
Other Thoughts: We started playing this course a long time ago and really wanted to finish it based on the first five. disappointed was the word of the day. Neither my wife nor I enjoyed our round and probably won't be back.

McGraft

5+    4/26/2013   9/6/2010
Review By: rshrevo
This review was updated on 4/26/2013
Pros: Multiple tees for the first 7 holes, plus 12.13 and 15. Challenging shots some holes you need to be accurate with placement or you could find your disc in a undesirable location. elevation changes were nice wasn't just a totally flat course. good mixture of long and short holes.
Cons: tee pads are dirt and some are very uneven. There should be a sign near the basket for seven directing you along the road and over the creek to get to holes 8 - 10. from the 7th basket all you see is the 11th tee. could use a sign directing to 17th tee if you haven't played here before.
Other Thoughts: when i played hole 17 basket was missing. I had a fun time playing the course. although i don't think i would want to play the course after a big rainfall some of the lower level holes could get very bad with the creek running right near the holes and fairways. nice big park with lots of space. probably wouldn't have found holes 8 - 10 if i hadn't seen other golfers walking up along the road after finishing hole 7. There are a couple of blind shots hole 7 you have to aim at the sledding hill hole is down below and to the right. hole 8 is up and along the tree line on the left but you can't see the hole from the tee. Hole 10 tee is across the road and down the hill by the water. then you head back towards 7th basket to get to 11.

McGraf Park

1    7/27/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: jwetter
Pros: -good combination of open and tighter holes
-first 7 holes were easy to navigate and had some interesting but doable shots
-multiple tees so you can play from different areas
Cons: - not an easy course to navigate (we never found holes 8-10)
-there were only sand tee off pads and the baskets were pretty old
-some holes like 16 had water hazards that were very much in play and pollution warnings around the water that made it very undesireable to play
-very poorly organized, had to walk all over the place to find our way.
Other Thoughts: This course seems like it was good at one time but is a little warn down. With a little work and better labeling it would be a fun course to play.

The White Trash Country Club

5+    6/23/2010   6/25/2010
Review By: BucketBonanza
Pros: This is the first course I ever played about 8 or 9 summers ago. It is my home course and is right in my backyard. It has some diverse terrain in the way of elevation changes, tight wooded hallways, and water hazards. The recent addition of long tees has added some difficulty to the front six holes. What were once easy birdies are now much more challenging with plenty of new opportunites for the old oaks to smack your discs out of the air. There are a few holes here that are memorable such as 7 down the sledding hill, the longest hole 15 with plenty of nasty trees, and the treachery of 16 over the stream. This is very beginner friendly and offers some nice practice opportunities for the more advanced as well.
Cons: A large portion of this course comes off as pretty mundane. The layout is a bit confusing to people who have no idea where they are going. There are 4 holes that some people could conceivably miss entirely without instruction. The wooded holes will straight up ruin your socks and shoes if your disc goes off the beaten path and you are forced to search in the mucky lagoon. The black foot is a scourge. The biggest drawback in my opinion is the fact that there are no concrete tee pads. The natural dirt pads are irregular and offer unstable footing which can really take a lot off your shots.
Other Thoughts: This may not be the greatest of courses, but for the land that was available it is decent. It is a fun little jaunt through the old swamp.

McGraft

5+    5/26/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: Creepy Anhyzer
Pros: McGraft is my home course I have been playing here for about 4 years. It is in a popular city park. There is a baseball field next to hole 1 where you can warm up or test your distance. Holes 1-6 swing around a tennis court and are fairly easy. Hole 7 is a tough shot that drops down a sled hill and into a open field and in my opinion is tied with 15 for coolest holes.
Cons: The course really could use a lot of work and it is a very popular park in the summer which can lead to a lot of garbage laying around. The tee pads also could use a upgrade. In some places roots or mud can make you stumble or slip. There are water hazards on holes 10, 16 and 18. Several areas of the course are covered in leaves that will cover up your disc and make it very hard to find. The course in general needs a 100% make over and with a little work could be a 4 out of 5
Other Thoughts: Cement Tee pads would be cool
Leagues used to be every Monday at 6 but I'm not sure if they have resumed because Whitehall Leagues have become really well organized and are greater in attendance.

< Prev 1 2 3