Deforest, WI
Vallarta-Ast DGC Share
Uploaded By: puttlikeablowfly Hole #26 (Taken 5/2012)
Hole #26 Pro Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Best course in Madison

5+    6/27/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: zdwyatt
Pros: It's incredibly well maintained, with nice signs, concrete tees boxes, multiple hole locations, and fairways well-marked by mowing. There's a nice variety of shots required, in both shape and distance. The long tees are well-positioned and generally create a different experience, rather than just making the hole longer.

Because the course is a short drive outside town, it's generally not very crowded. There's ample parking and rest rooms available. The park rangers keep any discs they find and will return them if you come looking.
Cons: There are a couple of spots where it's not clear where to go between holes. Of course, once you play it once, you figure that out.

The more recently added holes 19-27 are less interesting than the original 18, trending more towards the straightforward drive.
Other Thoughts: This is, hands down, the best course in Madison. This was a pay-to-play course long before the city courses started charging, and the condition of the course reflects that. Like its sister course, Capital Springs, this is a great example of how a disc golf course can feel just as nice as a real golf course.

Beautifully maintained

5+    7/12/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: djros
Pros: Beautifully manicured park with cleanly mowed fairways. I've played this course at least a dozen times and have never seen the maintenance get behind and have never seen garbage on this course - it is always in excellent condition. Two large concrete tees per hole and three basket positions per hole that are rotated on a regular basis with nice signs at each tee with distances for each basket position and benches at most of the tees. The long and short tees provide a fair challenge for players of different skill levels. With several holes over 500 feet from the long tees, there is plenty of length for the big arms, and the short tees provide a more manageable course for the rest. With 27 holes and 3 baskets per hole (except #22 - the "island" hole), there are 79 basket positions, and with most holes, the different basket positions change how to throw your tee shot, and you need to have proficiency in moving the disc in both directions to score well. The landscaping, in the form of rock retaining walls, around some of the baskets is also very nice - makes it look nice and adds a degree of challenge.
Cons: None that I can think of. Some people might not like pay to play, but to me, this course really shows what disc golf can be when money goes back in to the course.
Other Thoughts: Although many of the holes look open, most of them force appropriate positioning to set up scoring opportunities. Whether you have big arm or not, you still need to be accurate for your birdie chances. The wooded holes force you to hit tight lines for good birdie chances, and even the more open holes have just enough trees to force you left or right for a good approach line. The only thing I think they could do to improve the course is to have a better basket rotation. The baskets are rotated such that they are all short, all medium, or all long. All short can be a little easy. All long can get a little tough from always having to throw long shots. It would be nice if they would have a third of the holes at each position at any given time, and rotate the baskets with the same frequency they do now between the three positions.

Beautiful course

2-4    7/5/2013   8/31/2013
Review By: haringj
This review was updated on 9/3/2013
Pros: I was. very impressed with this course. The thing I noticed before long while playing this course was the open it was, then how much green, mowed grass there was, then I started to notice how the trees were trimmed up - all much different than what I am used to playing on around Iowa City. I like my local courses, but the groomed, well maintained nature of this course was a nice change of pace, a change that frankly I prefer. I thought I had it well with Sugar Bottom, Turkey Creek, and Shaver Park, but I think what Vallarta/Token Creek has to offer plays better to my style and what I want from a course.

And very little poison ivy!
Cons: Very few cons to say about this course. Maybe more signage leading you to the course once inside the park.

About all that could improve what I saw (and I did not see holes 19+) might be some beverage cart girls!

One of WI's Best

5+    7/20/2013   7/20/2013
Review By: Sturmus
Pros: AMAZING.
Course has been P2P for years and it shows.
Most well groomed course around.
Great mix of shots.
The new 9 is Sweet! Very unique.
Love the use of the sand bunkers
Not usually busy, especially not as busy as the other Madison courses.
Great facilities.
Camping on site
Cons: No cons. I LOVE this course, as does anyone else who plays it.

Worth the money

5+    7/5/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: Lanomode
Pros: Additional 9 holes this year making it 27 now. Probably because of the cost, it's not full of high schoolers smoking weed. You can actually play with out having to wait behind people.
Cons: Some holes are a bit easy, but just move back to the pro tee and it'll add a little more difficulty. Some have extremely tall weeds to lose a disc in on the sides of the fairways.
Other Thoughts: Some courses, 18 just isn't enough. The $8 you're supposed to pay is worth it here for 27 well maintained holes.

Grip N' Rip

1    5/30/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: ToneRay
Pros: - Lots of opp's to get out your drivers
- Well-maintained
- Great signage
Cons: - $8 to play, but more understandable once I saw that every hole was mowed, and all else maintained like new
Other Thoughts: Special thanks to Dan, Brad, and "Sticks" for guiding my inaugural round here. Very enjoyable and informative.

Best Mad Town Course!

5+    7/11/2011   3/23/2013
Review By: Jmpviper
Pros: Many of the holes are wide open and you just throw through fields. A good test to see if you can out drive your buddies. The holes while not overly simple are easy enough to do. A small chance of losing your disc in any tall grass or trees.
Cons: It's an expensive course to play. When I first started to play it was around $3 or $4 for an all day pass. Last time I had heard it was around $8 a day. Awesome course but that is pricey. Uses the trust system to pay. If you decide not to and a park ranger catches you I'm sure that you are looking at a much steeper ticket. Your call!
Other Thoughts: Worth the price just to try out the course. This one is one of my top three favorites.

Great Course, but Overpriced

2-4    9/18/2012   12/19/2012
Review By: ajkuck
Pros: Overall, the course is in awesome shape and it's an added bonus with 9 extra holes now. The maintenance of the course is very well kept, with quality tee pads, signs, and for the most part, clean fairways. The course has a variety of shots both in the open and in the woods and there are also plenty of birdie opportunities, which makes for a fun round. The course is also noticeably less busy than Elver and Hiestand.
Cons: The $8 daily pass is quite expensive for this course, even though it is 27 holes. Blue Ribbon Pines in MN is 27 holes and only $5 to play and puts this course to absolute shame. Unlike Elver and Hiestand, this course lacks elevation change unfortunately.
Other Thoughts: I am glad to see that the fees for this course seem to be going right back into it though. It's a great change of pace from Elver and Hiestand.

Best Course in Madison

5+    11/14/2012   12/11/2012
Review By: beeyang78
Pros: Dual Tees with three pin placements that change every week.
Each pin placement has its own challenges.
Very well manicured.
Not as busy as the other Madison courses.
Lots of variety and long and shorts holes.
Great course to work on your distance.
Only $45 for the season pass and in 2013, there will be another course (Lake Farm County Park) that will use this same pass.
Cons: The only con for me is the new 9 holes have shorter tee pads. The daily pass is a con because it is $8, but because I buy the season pass for $45, it is worth it for me. It's not a con if you live in Madison, but for a traveller who may only play once or twice, it would be a con.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in Madison. I usually get out and play at least 3-4 days a week when it is open and there is still daylight after work. I enjoy playing from the long tees and ripping it. This is a great course to practice distance on and won't punish you as much on errant throws. The long tees and long pin placements will challenge even the Pro players.

Very nice except price.

2-4    10/4/2012   10/6/2012
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: 27 holes! The more holes on a course the better in my opinion.Two sets of huge, flared concrete tee pads on all holes. Benches and trash cans on all holes. Navigation was only a problem between 5 and 6. Just required a little extra walking but a sign would be helpful here. Very nice Mach 5 baskets. I'm a fan of the Mach baskets and these catch very well here. There are 3 sets of pin locations on all the holes as well which I don't understand why more courses don't do. Restrooms Available right next to hole 2 I believe it was. Camping on site in what appeared to be a good sized well maintained multi use park. Very large tee signs with hole #, a basic hole layout and distances and locations for all possible pin placements. The park was extremely well maintained and mowed which it should be for the price. The first 18 original holes are more fun than the newer 9. Theres more woods involved on them making it more challenging. I could see losing a disc as a possibility here but its hard for me to say since I went in October. The "island hole" on 22 is a cool idea for making a water hazard like challenge on a course with no water. The wind was a huge factor when I went, especially the last 9. Very easy to find the course, just minutes off I-94. I wouldn't think this would ever be TOO busy, there was one other car when we went at first and 3 when we left. I'd recommend giving this one a shot, I had a real nice time here.
Cons: $8 a day is very high. Highbridge is the only other that I've played thats more but that has 6 18 hole courses on site. Not the most peaceful course in that its just off of I-94 so theres the constant sound of traffic. So I personally wouldn't recommend camping here because of this. Also there must be an airport nearby as there were planes and helicopters flying all over too. The last nine newer holes were all mostly open and bland except 22's "island hole". Other than that not much. Really solid course, just not Phenomenal.
Other Thoughts: All in all i had a real fun couple rounds here. You can tell that at least your $8 is going towards the course. Elver and Hiestand in Madison are very close by as well. I've never played them but they are supposed to be outstanding courses . I have played Bird's Ruins in Marshall and would recommend that one and its only about 20 minutes east. That would make for a good day of discin'.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5