Deforest, WI
Vallarta-Ast DGC Share
Uploaded By: puttlikeablowfly Hole #23 (Taken 5/2012)
Hole #23 Pro Tee Sign

Best Course in Madison

5+    11/14/2012   12/11/2012
Review By: beeyang78
Pros: Dual Tees with three pin placements that change every week.
Each pin placement has its own challenges.
Very well manicured.
Not as busy as the other Madison courses.
Lots of variety and long and shorts holes.
Great course to work on your distance.
Only $45 for the season pass and in 2013, there will be another course (Lake Farm County Park) that will use this same pass.
Cons: The only con for me is the new 9 holes have shorter tee pads. The daily pass is a con because it is $8, but because I buy the season pass for $45, it is worth it for me. It's not a con if you live in Madison, but for a traveller who may only play once or twice, it would be a con.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in Madison. I usually get out and play at least 3-4 days a week when it is open and there is still daylight after work. I enjoy playing from the long tees and ripping it. This is a great course to practice distance on and won't punish you as much on errant throws. The long tees and long pin placements will challenge even the Pro players.

Very nice except price.

2-4    10/4/2012   10/6/2012
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: 27 holes! The more holes on a course the better in my opinion.Two sets of huge, flared concrete tee pads on all holes. Benches and trash cans on all holes. Navigation was only a problem between 5 and 6. Just required a little extra walking but a sign would be helpful here. Very nice Mach 5 baskets. I'm a fan of the Mach baskets and these catch very well here. There are 3 sets of pin locations on all the holes as well which I don't understand why more courses don't do. Restrooms Available right next to hole 2 I believe it was. Camping on site in what appeared to be a good sized well maintained multi use park. Very large tee signs with hole #, a basic hole layout and distances and locations for all possible pin placements. The park was extremely well maintained and mowed which it should be for the price. The first 18 original holes are more fun than the newer 9. Theres more woods involved on them making it more challenging. I could see losing a disc as a possibility here but its hard for me to say since I went in October. The "island hole" on 22 is a cool idea for making a water hazard like challenge on a course with no water. The wind was a huge factor when I went, especially the last 9. Very easy to find the course, just minutes off I-94. I wouldn't think this would ever be TOO busy, there was one other car when we went at first and 3 when we left. I'd recommend giving this one a shot, I had a real nice time here.
Cons: $8 a day is very high. Highbridge is the only other that I've played thats more but that has 6 18 hole courses on site. Not the most peaceful course in that its just off of I-94 so theres the constant sound of traffic. So I personally wouldn't recommend camping here because of this. Also there must be an airport nearby as there were planes and helicopters flying all over too. The last nine newer holes were all mostly open and bland except 22's "island hole". Other than that not much. Really solid course, just not Phenomenal.
Other Thoughts: All in all i had a real fun couple rounds here. You can tell that at least your $8 is going towards the course. Elver and Hiestand in Madison are very close by as well. I've never played them but they are supposed to be outstanding courses . I have played Bird's Ruins in Marshall and would recommend that one and its only about 20 minutes east. That would make for a good day of discin'.

Very Impressed

2-4    8/20/2012   8/23/2012
Review By: diggs11pond
Pros: This course is clean, well kept and diverse. There are a good number of holes that you can really let go as well as some very technical holes. The nice thing about the rest is they truly combine distance and accuracy to avoid well placed trees.

Pay to play has apparently paid off in this park. It is by far the nicest I've been to in Wisconsin.
Cons: The only con I could come up with is that the short holes are kind of bunched together, but that is such a small issue it almost doesn't matter.
Other Thoughts: I have no issue with paying to play especially when the park is kept in such stellar condition. I hope more parks/municipalities/counties follow suit with some of the better courses to keep them at a higher level and to deter less than respectful/responsible players.

Manicured!

5+    8/6/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: The land is rather flat with a mix of open, to scattered trees, to tunnels. The turf is regulary mowed. There is a very nice kiosk near hole #1.

Huge concrete tee pads. 2 per hole. Shorts/Longs. Some benches.

Multiple pin positions. 3 per hole.

Between the 2 tee pads and 3 pin positions there is a ton of variety on the course. You'll throw pretty much every shot on this course if you play both sets of tees. Even with these it's easy to navigate.

The tee signs are very nice! They still look brand new.

Awesome DGA Mach 5 baskets.

This is one of the most well kept courses that I have played.

The course has recently been expanded to 27 holes. The more golf the better!
Cons: I don't mind pay to play but if you are only playing 1 round for $8.00 it's rather expensive.

This course is very flat and rather open in places. It lacks that extra elevation or water to get the next half disc bump in rating from me.
Other Thoughts: The course has recently been expanded to 27 holes.

This is my personal taste. I actually think Heistand & Elver are both considerably better courses than Token due to the type of land. If they were maintained as much as this course the reviews would reflect it. I love going to Madison. I usually hit all 3 in one day.

Well Maintained, but Easy...

1    7/29/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: steinkecm
Pros: It's really well maintained. The money is put to good use.
Cons: It's just too easy. Even the distance from the long tees is not that daunting. At least playing from the listed pars. Sub 600 feet par 5's? Thank you for the eagle. :)
Other Thoughts: I would have like the see Innova baskets in, but the Mach 5's do their job.

Meh

5+    8/20/2011   8/26/2011
Review By: smyith
This review was updated on 8/28/2011
Pros: - Super well manicured!
- Am and Pro Level Cement Teepads
- Multiple Pin Placements
- Very aesthetically pleasing
- Some well guarded greens
- Benches on almost every hole
- Easy to navigate
- Pro pads have lots of blind holes
- Wind plays a big factor
- Lots of places to open up and crank out a long drive
- Very easy to navigate, little need to walk fairways to find pin
- Good tee signs
Cons: - FLAT
- Kind of repetitive
- Basic Shots are all that are required for good scores. Flat hyzers and slight turnovers dominate the tee shots.
- $8 to play the 3rd best course in the area. $10 additional for your dog (Not holding the latter against the course but the park policies).
- Watch your disc when it heads for the long grass and pine trees
- The wooded holes were cleared out too much making them easy to hit your line.
Other Thoughts: This course is a bit of a let down when compared to the other two 18 hole courses. Being that its pay to play i expected it to be really amazing. But its flat and doesn't require you to be very skilled.
The shorts are more of a REC level layout. Most of the holes are reachable for deuce opportunities. I am not calling this a pitch-n-putt in anyway. Your deuces have got to be earned but their there. Developing INT players will also find reward in playing the shorts.
The longs are more for INT and ADV players. The lines are similar to the shorts but several holes become blind. The real challenge here is the length and being decently accurate in your placement.
I would give this course a 3.25 if I could. The shorts are 3.0 and the longs are a 3.5. Although the amenities are nice I just dont think its that great of a pay-to-play compared to others. If it were free I would probably give it a solid 3.5. Of all the pay-to-plays I've played I would rate this last. It doesn't leave me with an urge to play it again and definitely not worth $8.

Intermediate

1    6/25/2011   7/1/2011
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in a big, semi-forested park that is pretty much devoted to disc golf. There are a bunch of other park users, but it seems well separated.
- There are holes that have a good amount of trees to contend with, in a few different ways. There are some tighter ones that require good line shaping, some with large patches of jail to avoid, and others that involve going around on the open side. Highlights here include a shot around a large patch of forest, either way, on #7, and a long shot to get around jail on #10. A few tighter ones that are RHFH friendly as well.
- The majority of the course is set up in more open areas, that use denser rough, tall grass, and the occasional tree to get in the way. Some of these are a lot of fun, like a long zig-zagging, multi-shot hole, or an uphill that has three rock gardens for the multiple pin placements. A couple obvious RHBH annys too, as well as some hyzers, both with blind baskets.
- Some decent elevation changes here. Nothing too extreme at all, though it is noticeable on a few holes.
- A few tricky pin positions, depending on where they are at. Really changes up the holes in some cases. A couple rock ledge greens add serious rollaway potential.
- Good variety in distances, from both tees. Some longer holes have some character, like the long zig-zagging one, and the one with the grove to go around (450' from the blue).
- Great teepads, signage, and baskets. Navigation can be a little tricky the first time through, with a few different paths after some holes.
Cons: - My biggest gripe with this course is the large amount of holes that are fairly wide open. Almost the entire back nine are just mowed fairways, with some rough on the sides and a tree here or there. Practically no thought is required here, all ya gotta do it throw it far and land in the fairway. Really left a bad taste to finish like that.
- Terrain here is pretty flat, for the most part. Only a couple of shots that really are influenced by sloping fairways. No water either, the only hazards are thick rough and the road in one spot.
- Tee signs don't state the current pin position, which leaves a lot of guessing. Normally I wouldn't care so much, but some are right next to each other, and it's really a guessing game of how how far it is.
Other Thoughts: - This course starts off OK, then gets good, then gets really good, and then craps out and leaves you with driving practice all the way back to the car. Maybe I had very high expectations after the front nine, but it really got bland. Still, the front nine offers a lot of variety and some challenge, and the back nine is a good place to grip and rip some different lines. Better suited to beginners and intermediate players.
- Eight dollars, jeez.

One of Wisconsins finest.

5+    9/10/2010   9/17/2010
Review By: roclover
Pros: Multiple Cement Pads:
Both Pro and Am tees are large and flared to give you all the room you need (some of the nicest I've ever seen)

Multiple Pin Placements:
3 to be exact, red. white and blue. The baskets are moved weekly and routinely, meaning if hole 1 is in "white" they will all be in white, thus eliminating need for markers at each tee.

Great Signage:
Beautiful simple and accurate signs with all 3 labeled pin placements and relative distances are at both teepads.

Immaculate Up-keep:
I try to play this course once a week in the summer and have NEVER seen liter, un-mowed grass, dead/fallen trees in the fairways or anything that needs work. In fact I almost always run into a worker weed whacking, mulching or doing something to keep this course in the pristine condition that it remains.

Fairways:
So many courses I see seem to just "tack" on pro tees at a later time and put them in places where you don't even have a real shot or lane to throw. At Token there are always 1 or more lanes to the basket (or safe landing zone for longer holes) and if you execute and throw a good shot you'll be in the fairway.

Distance:
In championship layout (Pro tees to blue basket position) this course is at its finest. So many other courses I go to I think I could empty my bag of everything but a putter, Roc and Gator and be completely fine. Maybe I'd need a teebird for one or two holes, but rarely do I need to make a shot over 400 ft. Championship layout Token Creek is one of the only courses I've played where I get to throw a high-speed driver (usually a Boss) 50% of the time. I believe only 4 of the holes are under 300 ft. #6, #7, #12 and #17. 6 plays 291' up a slight hill to a basket perched on a cobble-stone retaining wall (quite pretty). 7 is only 275' but with a large couple of trees in the center that block the basket and force you to the left or right. 12, is the only hole I tee with a putter. A 264' anhyzer (or roller) to a basket set amongst several guarding trees and a bush. 17 is a tricky 280' down a fairly narrow straight lane and then breaking to the right at the very end tucked behind a very distinctive "V" tree. (Fun to try to park it right by the tree and then put through the "V").

In short, the shorter holes have a lot of character and interest to make up for the lack of distance.

All the rest of the holes are 320 ft or further (many of them being over 400 ft.)

If you're a player who throws over 400 ft consistency and accurately you will LOVE this course. In fact I would go as far as to say that it will become one of your instant favorites (as it has for me). There's a good reason why Avery Jenkins and Barry Schultz have this course listed in there favorites, if you're a driving machine this course (especially in championship layout) is a MUST PLAY!! There's nothing as exciting as ripping a 400-475 ft drive for a chance at birdie!
Cons: Bugs:
As with most mid-west courses in the summer if you play at the end of the day, or soon after a rain the bugs will nearly end you! I have had times when I almost quit because the bugs were so bad, then I discover 100% deet. Now I'm not sure if this stuff is recommended by dermatologists, but it does the job! It is now as much of a mainstay as my Roc and Aviar!

Lack of Elevation Change:
While this course utilizes its surroundings to the max, there is very little elevation change on this course. With the exception of #6, #8 and #10 this course is almost completely flat. To make up for this several of the holes have built up cobblestone retaining walls near the basket to add sudden drops in front or behind them.

Pricey for visitors:
With my season membership and the fact that the course is 10 minutes away from where I work I play more than enough to make up the $45. However, if you're just passing through the $7 day pass is probably the highest I've ever seen. The $ is obviously put to good use at this course, but it does seem a bit pricey for this generally cheap/free sport.

Not for beginners or "low-power" throwers.
Don't waste the $7 bringing someone here for their first round ever. Bring them to a shorter, easier, free course. Also, if you don't throw over 300 ft (for the Am's) or 400' for the Pro tee's you won't appreciate this course to it's fullest. If you generally play the Am tees at a course or throw 300-330... try Elver or Hiestand park. They will probably be more fun for you.

Red Pins:
While blue is my obvious favorite, white is quite good as well, however I'm always disappointed when the baskets are in the red position because it removes to many of the obstacles and too much of the length from the course.... though I suppose it is probably more fun for beginners.
Other Thoughts: My biggest question for this course is What is par? Like many other courses the written par (66) is far to high. However playing all par 3's (54) especially in blue layout, seems a bit too low. Looking over my last 4 scorecards from playing in championship layout I have had Deuces on 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, and 18. The easiest of these being 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14 and 17. 1, 10, 16 and 18 are only doable for BIG arms (all over 400 ft) #8 is just dang tricky to find a lane without meeting a tree or brush first and 2, 5, 11, 13 and 15 are nearly impossible deuces short of two AMAZING shots.

In my opinion holes 2, 5 and 15 should be Par 4's. 5 is pretty much already there, 2 and 15 could use a little more basket protection to make the 4 a little harder to work for. 11 and 13 could go either way... either leave them as is... a long, but fairly open par 3. Or they could add a little more in the way of obstacles (maybe some O.B.? A drop zone?) and try to make them hard enough to be considered Par 4's. This would bring the course to either a Par 57 or Par 59 and bring it to a 5 out of 5 in my mind.

Vallarta-Ast aka Token Creek is and will likely always be in my top 5 favorites. If you're getting tired of those "putt-putt" courses and are ready for a championship caliber course, come join me for a round at Vallarta-Ast, one of Wisconsin's finest.

5+    7/3/2010   7/4/2010
Review By: OakCreekKiller
Pros: Manicured and in a park perfect for the family outings. Challenging long distances and multiple tees.
Cons: Pay to play. Worth it though.
Other Thoughts: A real pretty course in Madison. Although I prefer to play Heistand when in the middle part of the state.

Nice, but pricey

1    6/12/2010   6/29/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: This is another great addition to the Madison disc golf scene, and adds it's own totally different flavor to the variety of courses here. The pay to play fee is clearly used at least in part for course upkeep, as it is beautifully manicured and kept up and really has the feel of a ball golf course. A lot of work has gone into this course with large dual concrete tees, nice signs with hole layouts and distances to all three pin positions at both tees, and lots of landscaping. It doesn't appear to get as crowded as the other Madison courses, which is one more benefit of the play fee.

With the multiple pin positions, there is a decent variety of shot shapes required to score well here, with a pretty balanced mix of left and right turning shots. There are a few shots that have more of a wooded feel to break up the more open prairie type shots with only a couple trees for obstacles. There is a pretty good variety of distances here, with some shorter ace runs and some longer air it out type holes, and the dual tees add more variety with the longs often adding a good amount of distance and a slightly different shot.
Cons: Normally I don't even mention pay to play as a con, it doesn't bother me to pay a few bucks to play a private course or to contribute to keeping up a fantastic course. Here though, $7 for 18 holes seems very steep. The maintenance is impeccable, but the course itself is just not quite challenging or interesting enough to be worth that. There are too many open holes with prairie rough that don't challenge you to make a good drive, you can easily get back to the hole for a 3 once you find your disc in the long grass.

With such nice signs and multiple pin placements, I was quite surprised to not see any marking for what position was currently in use. I'm not a fan of having to guess or walk up the fairway to know where the pin is, and it's not that hard to do something simple to mark the current pin set up. The course plays very close to park roads several times, which takes away from the feel of the course, as does the highway noise on the first few holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course, and worth a round if you're playing the Madison area, but I personally put it behind both Hiestand and Elver for fun factor, especially when you throw in the high fee here. It's got some challenges, but not enough variety, elevation or punishing obstacles to make it really feel worth the fee.