New Berlin, WI
Valley View Park Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #6
3 / 195ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Not sure if designed for experienced disc golfers looking for a fun relaxing round, or for 10 year olds

2-4    5/11/2013   5/12/2013
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: My buddy and I played this course after playing a tournament at a much more difficult course, and we had an absolute blast here! The views here were incredible and the holes offer a wide variety of shots, playing in and out of the woods.

It was a very relaxed round, and none of the holes were all that difficult and the course seemed to be pretty clean and well maintained.

Hole 1 is the obvious signature hole of the course... a 280ish ft drive down into the "valley." This is best use of elevation on the course, but there are a few other fun elevation features used in the design too!
Cons: If you are looking for an intense round of disc golf, Valley View is not the course for you at all. Every hole here is an ace run, which makes for fun, but not much challenge. most people will not need to take out their drivers for this course.

The teepads here were teeny tiny and some of the signs were missing. The flow was not all that great, and navigation between holes 15 and 16 was not obvious. After you finish 15, cross the parking lot to get to 16's teepad (there's a concrete slab that looks like a teepad near 15s basket but isn't one).
Other Thoughts: All in all, this course's claim to fame is that it's just plain fun. I think it's definitely worth checking out even if it's a bit out of your way.

Spring Fever!

5+    3/31/2013   4/1/2013
Review By: mwright57
Pros: The snow around the course is melting fast. There was a lot of mud last week at the bottom of the baskets and some puddles on the tee boxes but since then it has started to dry up fast!
Cons: The baskets were not moved back to holes 1 and 18 yet so make sure you take your second shot off the tee pads of holes 4 and 10 to the additional basket.
Other Thoughts: Now is a great time to try new routes or techniques since the vegetation has not grown up and it is still easy to find a wayward disc!

Short but fun technical course

5+    1/30/2010   2/16/2010
Review By: esjaygee
Pros: - Cement tee pads for every hole. These pads have also been cleared every time I've played in the winter as well. Kudos to whoever has done this.
- Multiple pin positions on most holes. I'm pretty sure these were put in last summer, but it's a nice addition to the course.
- New signs as of summer 2009, though somebody already tore off the sign for 14.
- Good use of existing terrain making numerous uphill and downhill holes. There's even a few blind holes where you can't see the pin from the tee (#13 and #17)
- Good mix of straight, hyzer and anhyzer holes. The multiple pin positions can drastically change the feel of the hole by moving the pin from way left to way right.
- Open almost all year long
- Weekly leagues in the spring, summer and fall. I haven't played in them yet, but I look forward to this coming spring!
Cons: - Can be a bit crowded, especially with younger kids who don't follow DG etiquette. I've been thrown at a few times as I'm removing my putter from the basket.
- Shares a sledding hill in the winter and can lead to slippery trips up and down the slopes and moving targets that don't always pay attention to the DG going on around them.
- Bugs in the summer can be bad with a stream flowing through the course. I sometimes find frozen pockets of water in the winter and you have to be careful or you'll step into an ice cold patch of water when you least expect it.
Other Thoughts: Valley view is mainly a short technical course with very few ripper holes. I love hole one which plays 290 downhill, it's a great way to start a round. There's a new pin position in back by a tree making it a bit trickier than it use to be. The bulk of the course is played in/alongside the woods. If you've got a good grasp of your short technical game, I imagine there's ample opportunity for birdies (and "Valley View Aces") galore here. Unfortunately, I haven't mastered that skill yet, but it's nice to have a course close by that will force me to practice that aspect of the game. The first time I played here and I saw the plastic tubing on the trees… I was like, "Why is that on there"… thwack, ah for hacks like me! As I mentioned before, it is open year round and after navigating your way around the sledders and down the slippery hill, it's a fun course to play in winter.

Short and Technical

2-4    4/22/2009   4/23/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
This review was updated on 4/28/2009
Pros: This course is in great shape. All concrete tees, baskets in good shape. Also, all the fairways on the holes through the woods are wood-chipped. The trees on the fairways that get most hit are wrapped with some kind of tubing for protection. Several trash cans located throughout the course.

Let me just start by saying that this course is fun, and fairly diverse. It starts and ends in the open, hilly area around the parking lot, with most (11) of the holes playing through the tight winding woods. The more open holes all have very interesting terrain in play, such as: shooting over a hill to a totally blind pin on the backside with a jogging track past it (judging the distance to the pin off the tee is half the challenge here), shooting up a terraced hill to a pin in the edge of the woods that plays waay longer than it seems. Also, a downhill and crosshill shot in there somewhere.

The open holes are all memorable and fun, but the holes this course is really known for are the wooded ones. Though short enough to use a midrange on, the wooded holes are pretty tight, and require a bit of finesse. They are not the MOST technical holes(see UW-Parkside, Baraboo Holes 2&3), but they are a good mix of left and right curving holes, with both downhill and uphill slopes, which matters immensely when the curve is only 200ft, because its the difference between the hole playing like 170ft or 240ft, and thus the difference between you being 5 ft from the pin, vs 15 ft into the woods.

The woods holes on this course, and even most of the open ones, favor technique over power, which is nice. You don't need a big arm to shoot well here, but the ability to throw sidearm and backhand helps ALOT. There are several times where you have to pick a gap to shoot through on the fairway, so if you can't control your discs very well or dont know how they fly yet, this course will punish you. However, the great news is even if you hit a tree off the tee, you can still make par most of the time with a good upshot and short putt, so a good drive usually is like a bonus that separates pars from deuces. However, as always, some holes are tougher than others, and thus require a more specific shot to park.

Probably the biggest key to success here is to keep your discs low to the ground. There are many places where tree hits, especially ones high off the ground, can put you in jail with a pretty much for-sure bogey, overshooting here is often worse than undershooting. The park itself is quite pretty, both the hill and the woods are very nice.

Another plus of this course is that it seems to have pretty good drainage. After two solid days of rain, I played it the following day and the fairways were all dry. There were small water puddles, but only off to the side of the fairway on maybe 3 holes. So, if you shoot well, you should stay out of the water all day (easier said than done) Thus, this course should be good to play in all conditions.
Cons: Only one of the holes (#2) currently has a tee sign, and it is numbered wrong (as #17) according to the knowledgeable local I played with, this is because they built this course in several phases, and thus the hole numbers kept changing. On a few other holes, I saw a broken stub in the ground where it looked like a tee post used to be. I wish they would have hole signs here, for hole number and distance, if nothing else, because its usually pretty easy to see the basket.

The holes here are quite short. On all the wooded holes, and most of the open ones, you can park it with a midrange off the tee for a birdie. My first round here, I got 7 deuces (my local guide got 9, a personal best for him as well). I don't say this to brag, though that is an unheard of event for me. I think it gives a good idea of how short this course is. With just midranges, almost all of these holes are very deuceable.

Maybe I have a good control of my discs, but it felt pretty easy to get deuces here. What definitely helped, was my excellent guide, who offered me tips like, "Keep your disc low on this one, it plays REALLY short" or "If you overshoot and go into that weeping willow, you're lookin at a bogey for sure". Im sure that helped, vs playing the course cold turkey, but still, the holes here are seriously short, which did make them easier.

I did enjoy this course, but its too easy to be a really great course because its all essentially ace runs. If they were to add a set of pro tees that added some distance or maybe another bend in the the fairways of most of the short holes, (see Baraboo Hole 2), to make this course more difficult, then it could easily be a great course. On a course this tightly wooded, even an extra 20 ft with maybe one more tree on the fairway to weave around makes a huuge difference in difficulty. I understand why they probably cant due to space limitations, this course has great flow and the holes are close enough together that the walk between holes is very minimal, but I can dare to dream.

As full as this course is with memorable holes, some of the short ones in the woods have the basket right in front of your, and seem kinda like throwaways, vs having it tucked back in the woods a little further, which is too bad because this course has many cool holes.

Also, one or two of the tee pads in the woods get a bit muddy after a rain, so you might have to tee off next to them if it gets really bad.

Though it wasn't too hard for me, before I played here I had many people, some of them very good players, tell me how tight and technical this course was. People from as far away as Rockford and Racine seem to know about this course, and consider it a very tightly wooded course. I gather that many consider it challenging and fun. It is very fun, but scoring well does not seem to be too much of a challenge. Check this course out, maybe I was just hot when i played here and its harder than i think, but either way its worth visiting and playing a few rounds at. Trust me, you will not want to play just once.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course!! I plan on playing here again, I still havent deuced more than half of the holes, and I want to get them all.

Some of the baskets had alt positions that looked harder (ie through a tight clump of trees off the side of the fairway), but I'm not sure how often the other ones are used. It seems like this course is still being tweaked and new alt pin positions are still somewhat of an ongoing thing, which is exciting!

This course is like playing the short tees from Baraboo, but shorter and with more interesting open holes and more alt pins. On one hand, Baraboo has long tees which are much more challenging and add replay value, but this course has nice flat concrete tee pads, one of Baraboo's main shortcomings. If this course had long tees that added as much distance and challenge to the holes as those at Baraboo, this course would go from Good (3.0) to Great (3.5)

Tight and wooded but short

1    1/6/2012   4/1/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) The mulch path running through the entire course (in the wetland) makes this course very navigable. The peripherals look like they may stay wet a lot.

2) Nice concrete tee pads that surprisingly have held up to an area I would expect some serious frost heaving.

3) Nice use of what elevation they have on #1, #2, and #15, and the risk of an errant teeshot turning over and going to the bottom of the hill on #18!

4) Enough garbage baskets around to hopefully keep the course somewhat clean.

5) Shot making is a priority here. #1 and #2 running along a severe slope. #3-10 are densely wooded with tight fairways to hit in order to get near the basket. #11 - 14 open up a little bit but are still wooded and the baskets are fairly well protected by trees. Bailouts are available if you don't want to shoot at the basket and par is still very reasonable.

Cons: 1) Baskets leave a little to be desired. One had the interior chain links just hanging and not connected to the inner ring. Two or three of them have suffered from frost heaving, leaving them tilted to the point where the chains are touching the inner pole. Another one had a few outer chains missing completely. ALso tee signs would be nice, but I think it was due to vandalism.

2) Apparently vandalism and theft is a bad problem here. I wonder if it has anything to do with how secluded the course is from open air and other homes.

3) Holes #16, and #17 need to go, put two more holes on the hill, up and down the hill, or back in the woods, they clearly have enough property to move them, they are just kind of blah and you have to really risk roadrash on your disc to throw at the baskets.

4) A few of the baskets could use some mulch around them in the lower wetland area. The locations are nicely tucked in spots but mulch would help them tremendously.

5) From later in the day it certainly seems like it will be overrun with kids after school and during the summer. Not necessarily bad if they are considerate and adhere to ettiquette, but what are the odds of that.

6) Seems to really favor a lhbh or a rhfh thrower . . . if you have both shots and are consistent you will dominate this course, otherwise work on your touch shots. it isn't a horrible thing, but I do like variety . . . in fact the goal is to get some more right to left shaped holes so the hyzer shot is included more.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course, I will likely make this my go to course until Dretzka and Brown Deer open because of the technicality in it, partly because of the location being only 6 miles from my house, but also because it has the most technical holes of any of the courses I have played in the area to date. The wooded holes are tough and even a few of the ones in and along the wetland are pretty cool because of a forced type of shot. They are all short for the most part, but thats ok because of how technical they are. I would much rather play this course over and over than go to Dineen which is pretty much just throw away as hard as you can.

I played 4 rounds there on my first day playing it and I shot 3 rounds under par and 1 over par. For a young disc golfer and the first time playing the course this doesn't seem real. The holes seem much harder than they are apparently. I did not expect so many birdies. I guess the only way to make a bogey is with a really bad shot or a penalty, so thats why it is easier than it looks. This also comes from the short distance of the course, but I still like it a lot.

Unfortunately, we lost our big proponent in the parks department we were working with . . . so hopefully the new parks director will cooperate with us and let us just do the work out there, but will still come out annually to lay down wood chips as that is absolutely essential for keeping the mud down on this course.

Short and stubby

5+    11/29/2008   1/29/2009
Review By: kmrynders
This review was updated on 10/5/2009
Pros: This course is a beginner course that will test your accuracy more than anything else. The trees on most holes make this short course worth playing instead of being boring. This was my first course and it really helped me get into the game because it wasn't too much for a beginner, but still provides a touch of challenge for an advanced player.

Course has been getting some love recently (10-1-09) - raised pads, new pin placements coming in the spring of 2010
Cons: There isn't a variety of holes. There are only 2 longer holes (4 and 17) on the course and the rest are short (most through trees).
Other Thoughts: Usually this course can offer you a quick round (my fastest is 35 min for 18 holes). This isn't a 'must play course', but every once and a while you can play it so you feel good about your game because it's relatively easy

1    6/7/2008   7/7/2008
Review By: Iceman
This review was updated on 4/1/2011
Pros: This is a fun course and a great confidence booster for intermediate players. With good controlled throws deuces will be plentiful. The woods are beautiful and if you play it in the spring or after heavy rain there may be water hazards which are shallow so you don't lose discs.
Cons: There are no signs marking the hole lengths on some holes because they have either rotted away or people have torn them out. Although, thanks to some help of recent volenteers these problems are being fixed. New tees should be poured by the time you read this and new signs and basket placements are soon to follow.
Other Thoughts: I always bring a trash bag when I come to this course because it is one of the dirtiest courses I've ever played. I believe it is the younger crowd that tends to play that simply has no respect for the environment or other people who share the course. Please show some respect people.