New Berlin, WI

Short

5+    8/17/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: bschommer
This review was updated on 5/26/2010
Pros: Great for beginners, with most holes 200-250 feet u dont need to have a cannon to go under par.

with the exception of 1-2 holes they are all very forgiving.

With decent "drives" birdie putts come a dime a dozen. With bad drives it is easy to recover par with only a decent approach.

good mix of open and woods

all holes now have signs

this course can easily be played with mid-ranges and fairway drivers

Good mix of shots but with the exception of 1 or 2 holes u can consistently have birdie chances
Cons: Very short

Like i said this course is much to forgiving, especially for any one who has been discgolfing for a few years

gets very busy and the bugs are terrible in the woods

Unfortunately there are alot of trashy people that play here so their is alot of garbage and most of the signs have now been destroyed (may 2010)
Other Thoughts: the city is doing a great job in fixing up the course, new tee pads on holes 1,2,6, and 14 in the last 2 years (08-09) all of the tees have been replaced. in the last month all of the holes have signs and distances.

even though now many of the signs have been defaced or destroyed some still say distance

there are 2 spots where it can be confusing as to where the next tee is. after hole 10 go down the hill and to the left, and after hole 15 go across the parking lot

Not too fun

5+    7/3/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: feavelan
Pros: There are many holes that you need to use different types of shots. Some are a challenge but the course isn't too hard.
Cons: Way too many people go to this course. Mostly young kids and young kids=trouble. Cops are almost always driving though to check on things. The tees are getting old and they are sinking/cracking.
Other Thoughts: I played this course a lot 10 years ago. I loved it then but over the years it's become worse to play at. As stated before there are a lot of people that play it so you often find yourself waiting between holes. Not my course of choice but it's close to my home so I do go there early in the mornings.

I like it!

5+    6/30/2006   6/18/2009
Review By: waynewf
This review was updated on 7/6/2009
Pros: What this course lacks in length, it makes up for with skill shots through the woods. I learned how to play here so I am a bit biased, but this is a fun course that is pretty well marked.
Cons: This course can get very busy and sometimes the baskets get stolen. I've also had cops harrass me on the course and ask to g othrough my disc golf bag because apparently this is a big recreation spot for the local teens.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a nice, fun little course that will demand a variety of shots without making you feel as if you need to be a pro to play there.
UPDATE: After going home for a week, I checked out the old course and it is not the same. They got rid of some of the best holes in the woods and replaced them with some halfway decent, more open holes. I totally decreased my rating here...

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin'

1    4/29/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C (even though the holes are very short, several are very tight and a bad kick early might lead to a bogey)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == D (everything is so short that a 2 is a sarcastic "oh wow - big whoop")
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C (The big downhill throw on 1 is fun! Since the holes are so short, it lends itself to just throwing putters which are easy to shape.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Short and Technical

2-4    4/22/2009   4/23/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
This review was updated on 4/28/2009
Pros: This course is in great shape. All concrete tees, baskets in good shape. Also, all the fairways on the holes through the woods are wood-chipped. The trees on the fairways that get most hit are wrapped with some kind of tubing for protection. Several trash cans located throughout the course.

Let me just start by saying that this course is fun, and fairly diverse. It starts and ends in the open, hilly area around the parking lot, with most (11) of the holes playing through the tight winding woods. The more open holes all have very interesting terrain in play, such as: shooting over a hill to a totally blind pin on the backside with a jogging track past it (judging the distance to the pin off the tee is half the challenge here), shooting up a terraced hill to a pin in the edge of the woods that plays waay longer than it seems. Also, a downhill and crosshill shot in there somewhere.

The open holes are all memorable and fun, but the holes this course is really known for are the wooded ones. Though short enough to use a midrange on, the wooded holes are pretty tight, and require a bit of finesse. They are not the MOST technical holes(see UW-Parkside, Baraboo Holes 2&3), but they are a good mix of left and right curving holes, with both downhill and uphill slopes, which matters immensely when the curve is only 200ft, because its the difference between the hole playing like 170ft or 240ft, and thus the difference between you being 5 ft from the pin, vs 15 ft into the woods.

The woods holes on this course, and even most of the open ones, favor technique over power, which is nice. You don't need a big arm to shoot well here, but the ability to throw sidearm and backhand helps ALOT. There are several times where you have to pick a gap to shoot through on the fairway, so if you can't control your discs very well or dont know how they fly yet, this course will punish you. However, the great news is even if you hit a tree off the tee, you can still make par most of the time with a good upshot and short putt, so a good drive usually is like a bonus that separates pars from deuces. However, as always, some holes are tougher than others, and thus require a more specific shot to park.

Probably the biggest key to success here is to keep your discs low to the ground. There are many places where tree hits, especially ones high off the ground, can put you in jail with a pretty much for-sure bogey, overshooting here is often worse than undershooting. The park itself is quite pretty, both the hill and the woods are very nice.

Another plus of this course is that it seems to have pretty good drainage. After two solid days of rain, I played it the following day and the fairways were all dry. There were small water puddles, but only off to the side of the fairway on maybe 3 holes. So, if you shoot well, you should stay out of the water all day (easier said than done) Thus, this course should be good to play in all conditions.
Cons: Only one of the holes (#2) currently has a tee sign, and it is numbered wrong (as #17) according to the knowledgeable local I played with, this is because they built this course in several phases, and thus the hole numbers kept changing. On a few other holes, I saw a broken stub in the ground where it looked like a tee post used to be. I wish they would have hole signs here, for hole number and distance, if nothing else, because its usually pretty easy to see the basket.

The holes here are quite short. On all the wooded holes, and most of the open ones, you can park it with a midrange off the tee for a birdie. My first round here, I got 7 deuces (my local guide got 9, a personal best for him as well). I don't say this to brag, though that is an unheard of event for me. I think it gives a good idea of how short this course is. With just midranges, almost all of these holes are very deuceable.

Maybe I have a good control of my discs, but it felt pretty easy to get deuces here. What definitely helped, was my excellent guide, who offered me tips like, "Keep your disc low on this one, it plays REALLY short" or "If you overshoot and go into that weeping willow, you're lookin at a bogey for sure". Im sure that helped, vs playing the course cold turkey, but still, the holes here are seriously short, which did make them easier.

I did enjoy this course, but its too easy to be a really great course because its all essentially ace runs. If they were to add a set of pro tees that added some distance or maybe another bend in the the fairways of most of the short holes, (see Baraboo Hole 2), to make this course more difficult, then it could easily be a great course. On a course this tightly wooded, even an extra 20 ft with maybe one more tree on the fairway to weave around makes a huuge difference in difficulty. I understand why they probably cant due to space limitations, this course has great flow and the holes are close enough together that the walk between holes is very minimal, but I can dare to dream.

As full as this course is with memorable holes, some of the short ones in the woods have the basket right in front of your, and seem kinda like throwaways, vs having it tucked back in the woods a little further, which is too bad because this course has many cool holes.

Also, one or two of the tee pads in the woods get a bit muddy after a rain, so you might have to tee off next to them if it gets really bad.

Though it wasn't too hard for me, before I played here I had many people, some of them very good players, tell me how tight and technical this course was. People from as far away as Rockford and Racine seem to know about this course, and consider it a very tightly wooded course. I gather that many consider it challenging and fun. It is very fun, but scoring well does not seem to be too much of a challenge. Check this course out, maybe I was just hot when i played here and its harder than i think, but either way its worth visiting and playing a few rounds at. Trust me, you will not want to play just once.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course!! I plan on playing here again, I still havent deuced more than half of the holes, and I want to get them all.

Some of the baskets had alt positions that looked harder (ie through a tight clump of trees off the side of the fairway), but I'm not sure how often the other ones are used. It seems like this course is still being tweaked and new alt pin positions are still somewhat of an ongoing thing, which is exciting!

This course is like playing the short tees from Baraboo, but shorter and with more interesting open holes and more alt pins. On one hand, Baraboo has long tees which are much more challenging and add replay value, but this course has nice flat concrete tee pads, one of Baraboo's main shortcomings. If this course had long tees that added as much distance and challenge to the holes as those at Baraboo, this course would go from Good (3.0) to Great (3.5)

If you're desperate

1    4/15/2009   4/22/2009
Review By: eileenfeather
Pros: Hard wooded areas make for tricky holes getting around the trees.
Shorter holes
Decent elevation change
Cons: Tees missing...random holes without any pins. Been told that some have been moved around because of other players stealing discs.
You can tell it used to be a decent course, became a little more 'ghetto' from punk high schoolers
Other Thoughts: Go to Dretzka...worth the drive if you live in the south area of Milwaukee

Valley View, not so much

5+    9/1/2007   4/1/2009
Review By: rj29274
Pros: Cement teepads
Metal baskets
Easy to navigate
Signage
Well-balanced holes (right to left, left to right, straight)
Plays in a loop around the park
Close to a gas station and food places
Cons: Garbage
Crowded with punk teenagers with no respect for the course
Course has been moved and modified over the years to keep the residents around the park happy.
Vandalism, stolen baskets a concern
Strong police presence in the park due to immature amateur golfers
Very, very, very short (no driver needed, just a beat roc and putter)
SInce the course gets so much play, the trees have really taken a beating over the years.
Other Thoughts: I grew up about 5 minutes from this course and played every day after high school and during summer breaks from college. I like this course, but over the years it has gone down hill quickly. When I first played the course, the layout was much more challenging and fun. However, the New Berlin Park & Rec and Police Dept. have been trying to get the course removed for quite some time. The vandalism and theft is a serious issue. I remember one time where three baskets were stolen at the same time. Someone has a really nice private course somewhere. Punks! Hole 1 is the longest hole and it is reachable with a putter (downhill). Hole 14 may require a driver, but a roc can get there (320ft) This course is great for aces and -15 or lower rounds (record of -18 by a few folks) My personal best is a -17. I have over 35 aces here. This course is for beginners or people looking to work on their short game. I recommend Brown Deer or Dretzka if you are in the area. Much better courses, especially BD if you are looking for a challenge. So a 2/5 sounds good to me, too many people rate courses too high and I have no idea why. I have spent hours picking up cig butts around hole 1 while waiting to tee-off and have sometimes got in mild confrontations over littering in the park. Treat your courses well or they wont be there very long!

Ask a local player and they can direct you to the long tees here. Hole 1 has a nice long tee where you can pump it. Also, a few more holes have long pads that can add some more challenge.

I have played here over 1,000 times easily! You can play 3-4 rounds in a few hours.

Eat lunch at Crossroads down on Beloit and Sunnyslope, good grub and cheap! Awesome subs and pizza bread.

Please be respectful here and don't be a silent witness to vandalism and littering, take a stand!

Nice little course here, but nothing worth driving out of town for.

A typical league winning score here is a -10 to -12 for open and -6 to -8 for am's

Tight and wooded but short

1    1/6/2012   4/1/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) The mulch path running through the entire course (in the wetland) makes this course very navigable. The peripherals look like they may stay wet a lot.

2) Nice concrete tee pads that surprisingly have held up to an area I would expect some serious frost heaving.

3) Nice use of what elevation they have on #1, #2, and #15, and the risk of an errant teeshot turning over and going to the bottom of the hill on #18!

4) Enough garbage baskets around to hopefully keep the course somewhat clean.

5) Shot making is a priority here. #1 and #2 running along a severe slope. #3-10 are densely wooded with tight fairways to hit in order to get near the basket. #11 - 14 open up a little bit but are still wooded and the baskets are fairly well protected by trees. Bailouts are available if you don't want to shoot at the basket and par is still very reasonable.

Cons: 1) Baskets leave a little to be desired. One had the interior chain links just hanging and not connected to the inner ring. Two or three of them have suffered from frost heaving, leaving them tilted to the point where the chains are touching the inner pole. Another one had a few outer chains missing completely. ALso tee signs would be nice, but I think it was due to vandalism.

2) Apparently vandalism and theft is a bad problem here. I wonder if it has anything to do with how secluded the course is from open air and other homes.

3) Holes #16, and #17 need to go, put two more holes on the hill, up and down the hill, or back in the woods, they clearly have enough property to move them, they are just kind of blah and you have to really risk roadrash on your disc to throw at the baskets.

4) A few of the baskets could use some mulch around them in the lower wetland area. The locations are nicely tucked in spots but mulch would help them tremendously.

5) From later in the day it certainly seems like it will be overrun with kids after school and during the summer. Not necessarily bad if they are considerate and adhere to ettiquette, but what are the odds of that.

6) Seems to really favor a lhbh or a rhfh thrower . . . if you have both shots and are consistent you will dominate this course, otherwise work on your touch shots. it isn't a horrible thing, but I do like variety . . . in fact the goal is to get some more right to left shaped holes so the hyzer shot is included more.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course, I will likely make this my go to course until Dretzka and Brown Deer open because of the technicality in it, partly because of the location being only 6 miles from my house, but also because it has the most technical holes of any of the courses I have played in the area to date. The wooded holes are tough and even a few of the ones in and along the wetland are pretty cool because of a forced type of shot. They are all short for the most part, but thats ok because of how technical they are. I would much rather play this course over and over than go to Dineen which is pretty much just throw away as hard as you can.

I played 4 rounds there on my first day playing it and I shot 3 rounds under par and 1 over par. For a young disc golfer and the first time playing the course this doesn't seem real. The holes seem much harder than they are apparently. I did not expect so many birdies. I guess the only way to make a bogey is with a really bad shot or a penalty, so thats why it is easier than it looks. This also comes from the short distance of the course, but I still like it a lot.

Unfortunately, we lost our big proponent in the parks department we were working with . . . so hopefully the new parks director will cooperate with us and let us just do the work out there, but will still come out annually to lay down wood chips as that is absolutely essential for keeping the mud down on this course.

Short and stubby

5+    11/29/2008   1/29/2009
Review By: kmrynders
This review was updated on 10/5/2009
Pros: This course is a beginner course that will test your accuracy more than anything else. The trees on most holes make this short course worth playing instead of being boring. This was my first course and it really helped me get into the game because it wasn't too much for a beginner, but still provides a touch of challenge for an advanced player.

Course has been getting some love recently (10-1-09) - raised pads, new pin placements coming in the spring of 2010
Cons: There isn't a variety of holes. There are only 2 longer holes (4 and 17) on the course and the rest are short (most through trees).
Other Thoughts: Usually this course can offer you a quick round (my fastest is 35 min for 18 holes). This isn't a 'must play course', but every once and a while you can play it so you feel good about your game because it's relatively easy

5+    1/28/2009   1/28/2009
Review By: B-nels54
Pros: This course is difficult and small. It is a great course to work on your short game. The course itself is decently well groomed.
Cons: The holes are pretty short. It can get very buggy and wet. After playing the course a few times it is no longer very challenging