New Berlin, WI
Valley View Park Share

Valley View, not so much

5+    9/1/2007   4/1/2009
Review By: rj29274
Pros: Cement teepads
Metal baskets
Easy to navigate
Signage
Well-balanced holes (right to left, left to right, straight)
Plays in a loop around the park
Close to a gas station and food places
Cons: Garbage
Crowded with punk teenagers with no respect for the course
Course has been moved and modified over the years to keep the residents around the park happy.
Vandalism, stolen baskets a concern
Strong police presence in the park due to immature amateur golfers
Very, very, very short (no driver needed, just a beat roc and putter)
SInce the course gets so much play, the trees have really taken a beating over the years.
Other Thoughts: I grew up about 5 minutes from this course and played every day after high school and during summer breaks from college. I like this course, but over the years it has gone down hill quickly. When I first played the course, the layout was much more challenging and fun. However, the New Berlin Park & Rec and Police Dept. have been trying to get the course removed for quite some time. The vandalism and theft is a serious issue. I remember one time where three baskets were stolen at the same time. Someone has a really nice private course somewhere. Punks! Hole 1 is the longest hole and it is reachable with a putter (downhill). Hole 14 may require a driver, but a roc can get there (320ft) This course is great for aces and -15 or lower rounds (record of -18 by a few folks) My personal best is a -17. I have over 35 aces here. This course is for beginners or people looking to work on their short game. I recommend Brown Deer or Dretzka if you are in the area. Much better courses, especially BD if you are looking for a challenge. So a 2/5 sounds good to me, too many people rate courses too high and I have no idea why. I have spent hours picking up cig butts around hole 1 while waiting to tee-off and have sometimes got in mild confrontations over littering in the park. Treat your courses well or they wont be there very long!

Ask a local player and they can direct you to the long tees here. Hole 1 has a nice long tee where you can pump it. Also, a few more holes have long pads that can add some more challenge.

I have played here over 1,000 times easily! You can play 3-4 rounds in a few hours.

Eat lunch at Crossroads down on Beloit and Sunnyslope, good grub and cheap! Awesome subs and pizza bread.

Please be respectful here and don't be a silent witness to vandalism and littering, take a stand!

Nice little course here, but nothing worth driving out of town for.

A typical league winning score here is a -10 to -12 for open and -6 to -8 for am's

Tight and wooded but short

1    1/6/2012   4/1/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) The mulch path running through the entire course (in the wetland) makes this course very navigable. The peripherals look like they may stay wet a lot.

2) Nice concrete tee pads that surprisingly have held up to an area I would expect some serious frost heaving.

3) Nice use of what elevation they have on #1, #2, and #15, and the risk of an errant teeshot turning over and going to the bottom of the hill on #18!

4) Enough garbage baskets around to hopefully keep the course somewhat clean.

5) Shot making is a priority here. #1 and #2 running along a severe slope. #3-10 are densely wooded with tight fairways to hit in order to get near the basket. #11 - 14 open up a little bit but are still wooded and the baskets are fairly well protected by trees. Bailouts are available if you don't want to shoot at the basket and par is still very reasonable.

Cons: 1) Baskets leave a little to be desired. One had the interior chain links just hanging and not connected to the inner ring. Two or three of them have suffered from frost heaving, leaving them tilted to the point where the chains are touching the inner pole. Another one had a few outer chains missing completely. ALso tee signs would be nice, but I think it was due to vandalism.

2) Apparently vandalism and theft is a bad problem here. I wonder if it has anything to do with how secluded the course is from open air and other homes.

3) Holes #16, and #17 need to go, put two more holes on the hill, up and down the hill, or back in the woods, they clearly have enough property to move them, they are just kind of blah and you have to really risk roadrash on your disc to throw at the baskets.

4) A few of the baskets could use some mulch around them in the lower wetland area. The locations are nicely tucked in spots but mulch would help them tremendously.

5) From later in the day it certainly seems like it will be overrun with kids after school and during the summer. Not necessarily bad if they are considerate and adhere to ettiquette, but what are the odds of that.

6) Seems to really favor a lhbh or a rhfh thrower . . . if you have both shots and are consistent you will dominate this course, otherwise work on your touch shots. it isn't a horrible thing, but I do like variety . . . in fact the goal is to get some more right to left shaped holes so the hyzer shot is included more.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course, I will likely make this my go to course until Dretzka and Brown Deer open because of the technicality in it, partly because of the location being only 6 miles from my house, but also because it has the most technical holes of any of the courses I have played in the area to date. The wooded holes are tough and even a few of the ones in and along the wetland are pretty cool because of a forced type of shot. They are all short for the most part, but thats ok because of how technical they are. I would much rather play this course over and over than go to Dineen which is pretty much just throw away as hard as you can.

I played 4 rounds there on my first day playing it and I shot 3 rounds under par and 1 over par. For a young disc golfer and the first time playing the course this doesn't seem real. The holes seem much harder than they are apparently. I did not expect so many birdies. I guess the only way to make a bogey is with a really bad shot or a penalty, so thats why it is easier than it looks. This also comes from the short distance of the course, but I still like it a lot.

Unfortunately, we lost our big proponent in the parks department we were working with . . . so hopefully the new parks director will cooperate with us and let us just do the work out there, but will still come out annually to lay down wood chips as that is absolutely essential for keeping the mud down on this course.

Short and stubby

5+    11/29/2008   1/29/2009
Review By: kmrynders
This review was updated on 10/5/2009
Pros: This course is a beginner course that will test your accuracy more than anything else. The trees on most holes make this short course worth playing instead of being boring. This was my first course and it really helped me get into the game because it wasn't too much for a beginner, but still provides a touch of challenge for an advanced player.

Course has been getting some love recently (10-1-09) - raised pads, new pin placements coming in the spring of 2010
Cons: There isn't a variety of holes. There are only 2 longer holes (4 and 17) on the course and the rest are short (most through trees).
Other Thoughts: Usually this course can offer you a quick round (my fastest is 35 min for 18 holes). This isn't a 'must play course', but every once and a while you can play it so you feel good about your game because it's relatively easy

5+    1/28/2009   1/28/2009
Review By: B-nels54
Pros: This course is difficult and small. It is a great course to work on your short game. The course itself is decently well groomed.
Cons: The holes are pretty short. It can get very buggy and wet. After playing the course a few times it is no longer very challenging

Scrubville

2-4    4/17/2008   12/25/2008
Review By: Stashride
Pros: Short and tight on most all of the woodsy holes..Play the road on the 2nd and 3rd holes for some huge skips of some considerable distance..
Cons: Usually crowded and too saturated with teens..Not too challenging as far a distance is concerned anyway..
Other Thoughts: My buddy just told me hed give me a buck for every positive vote I get for my review! VOTE..He doesnt believe people use this site..What a dumb dumb!

Short but sweet

5+    11/8/2008   11/8/2008
Review By: tomjulio
This review was updated on 11/5/2009
Pros: -a few cool elevation change shots
-technical short holes
-fast rounds
-new cement pads
-mulched paths
-a bunch of ace-able holes
-funfunfun
Cons: -can be wet post rains
-too many fade right holes on back nine due to being up against forest
-can have a "douche" factor due to some lamers that play here
-no long ripper drives holes
-a bunch of short tree holes that will feel the same
Other Thoughts: This was the very first course that I played and always thought of it as kind of cool, but nothing special. As I was away over the summer, Terry Miller along with some eagle scouts "retook" the park back from the scum that used to steal baskets, litter, and just laid waste to the course. Rather impressed by the re-holing, new baskets, mulch paths, and new cement tees.They took this course from 2.0 to a 2.5 in a few months. You can blast through this course in 45 minutes or so and get another round in with ease.

Tee 1 is cool as it's the big elevation change downhill, but it still doesn't let you just rip a long drive. There is however a lesser known pro tee pad for tee 1 back and to the right another 100 feet which completely changes the way #1 is played. #3 also has a "pro tee" marked on the concrete. Only true ripper holes. This happens to be one of the major gripes to this course for me. I can think of only one true possible rip hole at 14 but that is through, or around a tree tunnel.

This is just a great small, but not too small, fun course that can cater to every level of play.

UPDATE 11/09 Well, the douche factor took a good three weeks to destroy all the signs...albeit they were cheap signs that were put up, but still. Fun park with the right peeps, but the douchebags dominate here, especially weekends and post school time.

My First Disc Golf Course

5+    6/1/2009   10/27/2008
Review By: Doctor Faustus
This review was updated on 6/3/2009
Pros: A good mix of open and wooded holes. #1 is always a fun way to start a hole. They move pins to keep things fresh. #17 was a lot of fun throwing down the soapbox derby hill.
Cons: Gets very busy, dirty, swampy.... Not everyone is a good custodian of the park. Can get trashy.
Other Thoughts: If you are going to play this course, get there early in the day. After working hours 3:30 - 7 can get crazy. It was very windy when we played.

1    6/7/2008   7/7/2008
Review By: Iceman
This review was updated on 4/1/2011
Pros: This is a fun course and a great confidence booster for intermediate players. With good controlled throws deuces will be plentiful. The woods are beautiful and if you play it in the spring or after heavy rain there may be water hazards which are shallow so you don't lose discs.
Cons: There are no signs marking the hole lengths on some holes because they have either rotted away or people have torn them out. Although, thanks to some help of recent volenteers these problems are being fixed. New tees should be poured by the time you read this and new signs and basket placements are soon to follow.
Other Thoughts: I always bring a trash bag when I come to this course because it is one of the dirtiest courses I've ever played. I believe it is the younger crowd that tends to play that simply has no respect for the environment or other people who share the course. Please show some respect people.

A Blast

9/4/2007   6/4/2008
Review By: andymeunier
Pros: A fun short course to play, alot of short wooded holes to throw at. If your not long this course is great because you can go at just about every basket if you can avoid tyhe trees.
Cons: Very buggy and wet everytime I played.

Some great holes

5/30/2008   5/31/2008
Review By: TenaciousMV
This review was updated on 7/15/2008
Pros: Some very challenging holes; elevation changes that are rare for the area; requires precision; nice area
Cons: Course is not clearly marked; some holes have no clear tee pad; one basket is stolen (we used a tree next next to where it was and managed); will get muddy/messy/buggy very quickly after a rain; seems to attract a crowd that could annoy the 25+ population; deep grass and weeds just off many fairways may make locating your disc difficult; no holes require a driver.
Other Thoughts: The majority of the cons I've listed are quite minor, while the pros are significant. Several of the holes are great fun and should provide a new story every time you go. One note though - you do NOT want to lose you disk in the deep grass/weeds. A fried of mine did just that. It lead to 10 minutes of searching with no result and very itchy legs!

EDITED on 7/18: now that I've played several other courses, I feel that is unreasonable to rate this course as 'good'. I did enjoy my time here, but I've found that the average disc golf course is almost as good as what's found here. I'm revising my score from a 3.0 down to a 2.5. I'd still recommend checking Vally View out - it's a fun course to practice approaches and putts.