New Berlin, WI

Valley View Park

5+    5/30/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: jrymaszewski
This review was updated on 6/4/2010
Pros: There are some challenging holes due to elevation, distance, etc.

Good course to brush up on your putting.

No water as of right now it has been unusually hot in this part of Wisconsin. so in the summer when it has rained previously be sure to look for some water before you tee off.

From my experience there were some very nice people there. But also some kids who really had no pace or etiquette.

The course Has some challenging cage locations.
Cons: There is a lot of trash lying around the course.

It is a pretty short course. But many people lose their disc so a lot of waiting for the people in front of you to find there's. So usually it takes a while to play eighteen.

There is also a lot of vandalism on the trees of people writing that they go an ace. Which is idiotic on their part considering the course has a little block, on the hole map, by the tee where you're supposed to inscribe your name if you get an ace.

There are a lot of trees that your disc goes off of no matter where you shoot it. This can be a good or bad thing.

Usually pretty crowded on the weekends or on nice days.
Other Thoughts: The course is extremely wooded with basically no open holes.

In the spring and summer it is a very nice looking course.

If you're looking for more of a challenge try Abendschein Park which is 10 mi. away in Oak Creek it is a better park to test your driving and approach skills. Or Village Park in Sussex. This is ten mi. away from valley view.

Also gps's do not pick up on the location of the course very well; I know mine had trouble finding it. But all you need to know is that it is on s. small road not Sunny Slope road. And you should be able to figure out where it is.

If you are a veteran to disc golf, I suggest you pass on this one.

1    5/16/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Gambl3r
Pros: -18 hole course that utilizes open space and woods.

-All concrete tee pads

-Good for beginners/amateurs & dates

-All tees labeled and easy to navigate the course (except for 16 through 18 -- see Cons)
Cons: -Tee pads set up too close to previous baskets; you have to be weary of whats going on behind you.

-If it's rained recently, it can get really muddy -- to the point of being undesirable to play. Could see bugs being a serious problem in the summer.

-Main entrance of the park has no indication or direction to the Disc Golf Course location; the parking lot with playgrounds, soccer fields & basketball courts do not connect to the parking lot for the Disc Golf Course.

-Course appears to end at hole 15. No directions to point you to cross the parking lot to get to hole 16.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in New Berlin and this course was in my neighborhood, I would not complain. It really is a nice looking course and a good walk in the woods for a city park.

On the other hand, if you are a veteran to disc golf and traveling to Milwaukee for an event and decide to hit a disc golf course while you are in town, I suggest you pass on this course and seek out something more difficult.

Still an awesome course to play

5+    10/1/2009   3/29/2010
Review By: cheesy_gordita_crunk
Pros: Short, but technical holes. A great place to practice accuracy apporach shots.

Alot of people complain that the holes are are too short and are all ace runs, but since when was that a bad thing? Courses do not have to be all 350+ foot holes to be a good course.
Valley View makes good use of the park property and offers a good mix of shots/approaches to take on each hole.
Cons: Alot of punkass "frolfer" teenagers who go out to the course to do nothing more than drink and cause trouble. This is in my opinion the only thing that would deter someone from wanting to play at Valley View. I started playing about six years ago, and the number of high school kids there has only gotten worse.

I am not bashing all the younger people who play there (I am only 21 myself), I am bashing the ones who go to the course and cause problems for everyone else.

Don't be suprised if a huge group of teens (10+ people) randomly pop out of the woods and cut you off on a tee pad. This has happened to me and my friends at least four times.

Also, bring TONS of bug spray. The course gets overrun with mosquitoes during the summer months.
Other Thoughts: I learned how to play disc golf on this course so it will naturally always have a place in my heart. I wish they could have kept the old configuration but the troublemakers ruined that for everyone.

Overall, still a great course to brush up on your short game.

Short but fun technical course

5+    1/30/2010   2/16/2010
Review By: esjaygee
Pros: - Cement tee pads for every hole. These pads have also been cleared every time I've played in the winter as well. Kudos to whoever has done this.
- Multiple pin positions on most holes. I'm pretty sure these were put in last summer, but it's a nice addition to the course.
- New signs as of summer 2009, though somebody already tore off the sign for 14.
- Good use of existing terrain making numerous uphill and downhill holes. There's even a few blind holes where you can't see the pin from the tee (#13 and #17)
- Good mix of straight, hyzer and anhyzer holes. The multiple pin positions can drastically change the feel of the hole by moving the pin from way left to way right.
- Open almost all year long
- Weekly leagues in the spring, summer and fall. I haven't played in them yet, but I look forward to this coming spring!
Cons: - Can be a bit crowded, especially with younger kids who don't follow DG etiquette. I've been thrown at a few times as I'm removing my putter from the basket.
- Shares a sledding hill in the winter and can lead to slippery trips up and down the slopes and moving targets that don't always pay attention to the DG going on around them.
- Bugs in the summer can be bad with a stream flowing through the course. I sometimes find frozen pockets of water in the winter and you have to be careful or you'll step into an ice cold patch of water when you least expect it.
Other Thoughts: Valley view is mainly a short technical course with very few ripper holes. I love hole one which plays 290 downhill, it's a great way to start a round. There's a new pin position in back by a tree making it a bit trickier than it use to be. The bulk of the course is played in/alongside the woods. If you've got a good grasp of your short technical game, I imagine there's ample opportunity for birdies (and "Valley View Aces") galore here. Unfortunately, I haven't mastered that skill yet, but it's nice to have a course close by that will force me to practice that aspect of the game. The first time I played here and I saw the plastic tubing on the trees... I was like, "Why is that on there"... thwack, ah for hacks like me! As I mentioned before, it is open year round and after navigating your way around the sledders and down the slippery hill, it's a fun course to play in winter.

Nice course, bad manners...

5+    9/30/2009   12/3/2009
Review By: timmi_g
Pros: Good use of a pretty small area. nice elevation changes on a few holes. Good challenging pin placements, with alts on a few. Cement tee pads.
Cons: Mosquitoes abound here! Add to that the punk teenagers that have zero respect for the course, & it gets kind of old.
Other Thoughts: This park has a good, strong hardcore DG following. Weekly leagues a few times a year. Special weekend events as well. Check the board @ #1's tee.

This course can get crowded in the later afternoons & weekends. Early days are usually a nice couple rounds of golfing though (especially during school time). all in all a good course, with some dipshit youths on the field at times.

Short

5+    8/17/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: bschommer
This review was updated on 5/26/2010
Pros: Great for beginners, with most holes 200-250 feet u dont need to have a cannon to go under par.

with the exception of 1-2 holes they are all very forgiving.

With decent "drives" birdie putts come a dime a dozen. With bad drives it is easy to recover par with only a decent approach.

good mix of open and woods

all holes now have signs

this course can easily be played with mid-ranges and fairway drivers

Good mix of shots but with the exception of 1 or 2 holes u can consistently have birdie chances
Cons: Very short

Like i said this course is much to forgiving, especially for any one who has been discgolfing for a few years

gets very busy and the bugs are terrible in the woods

Unfortunately there are alot of trashy people that play here so their is alot of garbage and most of the signs have now been destroyed (may 2010)
Other Thoughts: the city is doing a great job in fixing up the course, new tee pads on holes 1,2,6, and 14 in the last 2 years (08-09) all of the tees have been replaced. in the last month all of the holes have signs and distances.

even though now many of the signs have been defaced or destroyed some still say distance

there are 2 spots where it can be confusing as to where the next tee is. after hole 10 go down the hill and to the left, and after hole 15 go across the parking lot

Not too fun

5+    7/3/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: feavelan
Pros: There are many holes that you need to use different types of shots. Some are a challenge but the course isn't too hard.
Cons: Way too many people go to this course. Mostly young kids and young kids=trouble. Cops are almost always driving though to check on things. The tees are getting old and they are sinking/cracking.
Other Thoughts: I played this course a lot 10 years ago. I loved it then but over the years it's become worse to play at. As stated before there are a lot of people that play it so you often find yourself waiting between holes. Not my course of choice but it's close to my home so I do go there early in the mornings.

I like it!

5+    6/30/2006   6/18/2009
Review By: waynewf
This review was updated on 7/6/2009
Pros: What this course lacks in length, it makes up for with skill shots through the woods. I learned how to play here so I am a bit biased, but this is a fun course that is pretty well marked.
Cons: This course can get very busy and sometimes the baskets get stolen. I've also had cops harrass me on the course and ask to g othrough my disc golf bag because apparently this is a big recreation spot for the local teens.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a nice, fun little course that will demand a variety of shots without making you feel as if you need to be a pro to play there.
UPDATE: After going home for a week, I checked out the old course and it is not the same. They got rid of some of the best holes in the woods and replaced them with some halfway decent, more open holes. I totally decreased my rating here...

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin'

1    4/29/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C (even though the holes are very short, several are very tight and a bad kick early might lead to a bogey)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == D (everything is so short that a 2 is a sarcastic "oh wow - big whoop")
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C (The big downhill throw on 1 is fun! Since the holes are so short, it lends itself to just throwing putters which are easy to shape.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Short and Technical

2-4    4/22/2009   4/23/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
This review was updated on 4/28/2009
Pros: This course is in great shape. All concrete tees, baskets in good shape. Also, all the fairways on the holes through the woods are wood-chipped. The trees on the fairways that get most hit are wrapped with some kind of tubing for protection. Several trash cans located throughout the course.

Let me just start by saying that this course is fun, and fairly diverse. It starts and ends in the open, hilly area around the parking lot, with most (11) of the holes playing through the tight winding woods. The more open holes all have very interesting terrain in play, such as: shooting over a hill to a totally blind pin on the backside with a jogging track past it (judging the distance to the pin off the tee is half the challenge here), shooting up a terraced hill to a pin in the edge of the woods that plays waay longer than it seems. Also, a downhill and crosshill shot in there somewhere.

The open holes are all memorable and fun, but the holes this course is really known for are the wooded ones. Though short enough to use a midrange on, the wooded holes are pretty tight, and require a bit of finesse. They are not the MOST technical holes(see UW-Parkside, Baraboo Holes 2&3), but they are a good mix of left and right curving holes, with both downhill and uphill slopes, which matters immensely when the curve is only 200ft, because its the difference between the hole playing like 170ft or 240ft, and thus the difference between you being 5 ft from the pin, vs 15 ft into the woods.

The woods holes on this course, and even most of the open ones, favor technique over power, which is nice. You don't need a big arm to shoot well here, but the ability to throw sidearm and backhand helps ALOT. There are several times where you have to pick a gap to shoot through on the fairway, so if you can't control your discs very well or dont know how they fly yet, this course will punish you. However, the great news is even if you hit a tree off the tee, you can still make par most of the time with a good upshot and short putt, so a good drive usually is like a bonus that separates pars from deuces. However, as always, some holes are tougher than others, and thus require a more specific shot to park.

Probably the biggest key to success here is to keep your discs low to the ground. There are many places where tree hits, especially ones high off the ground, can put you in jail with a pretty much for-sure bogey, overshooting here is often worse than undershooting. The park itself is quite pretty, both the hill and the woods are very nice.

Another plus of this course is that it seems to have pretty good drainage. After two solid days of rain, I played it the following day and the fairways were all dry. There were small water puddles, but only off to the side of the fairway on maybe 3 holes. So, if you shoot well, you should stay out of the water all day (easier said than done) Thus, this course should be good to play in all conditions.
Cons: Only one of the holes (#2) currently has a tee sign, and it is numbered wrong (as #17) according to the knowledgeable local I played with, this is because they built this course in several phases, and thus the hole numbers kept changing. On a few other holes, I saw a broken stub in the ground where it looked like a tee post used to be. I wish they would have hole signs here, for hole number and distance, if nothing else, because its usually pretty easy to see the basket.

The holes here are quite short. On all the wooded holes, and most of the open ones, you can park it with a midrange off the tee for a birdie. My first round here, I got 7 deuces (my local guide got 9, a personal best for him as well). I don't say this to brag, though that is an unheard of event for me. I think it gives a good idea of how short this course is. With just midranges, almost all of these holes are very deuceable.

Maybe I have a good control of my discs, but it felt pretty easy to get deuces here. What definitely helped, was my excellent guide, who offered me tips like, "Keep your disc low on this one, it plays REALLY short" or "If you overshoot and go into that weeping willow, you're lookin at a bogey for sure". Im sure that helped, vs playing the course cold turkey, but still, the holes here are seriously short, which did make them easier.

I did enjoy this course, but its too easy to be a really great course because its all essentially ace runs. If they were to add a set of pro tees that added some distance or maybe another bend in the the fairways of most of the short holes, (see Baraboo Hole 2), to make this course more difficult, then it could easily be a great course. On a course this tightly wooded, even an extra 20 ft with maybe one more tree on the fairway to weave around makes a huuge difference in difficulty. I understand why they probably cant due to space limitations, this course has great flow and the holes are close enough together that the walk between holes is very minimal, but I can dare to dream.

As full as this course is with memorable holes, some of the short ones in the woods have the basket right in front of your, and seem kinda like throwaways, vs having it tucked back in the woods a little further, which is too bad because this course has many cool holes.

Also, one or two of the tee pads in the woods get a bit muddy after a rain, so you might have to tee off next to them if it gets really bad.

Though it wasn't too hard for me, before I played here I had many people, some of them very good players, tell me how tight and technical this course was. People from as far away as Rockford and Racine seem to know about this course, and consider it a very tightly wooded course. I gather that many consider it challenging and fun. It is very fun, but scoring well does not seem to be too much of a challenge. Check this course out, maybe I was just hot when i played here and its harder than i think, but either way its worth visiting and playing a few rounds at. Trust me, you will not want to play just once.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course!! I plan on playing here again, I still havent deuced more than half of the holes, and I want to get them all.

Some of the baskets had alt positions that looked harder (ie through a tight clump of trees off the side of the fairway), but I'm not sure how often the other ones are used. It seems like this course is still being tweaked and new alt pin positions are still somewhat of an ongoing thing, which is exciting!

This course is like playing the short tees from Baraboo, but shorter and with more interesting open holes and more alt pins. On one hand, Baraboo has long tees which are much more challenging and add replay value, but this course has nice flat concrete tee pads, one of Baraboo's main shortcomings. If this course had long tees that added as much distance and challenge to the holes as those at Baraboo, this course would go from Good (3.0) to Great (3.5)