New Berlin, WI
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #5

Short and technical

1    5/23/2010   6/2/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays half in an open grassy area with elevation, and half in dense woods with thick rough and some small creeks for a little water hazard. The open holes take advantage of the steep elevation changes to keep things more interesting, especially the very fun downhill 1st hole. The wooded holes are short but tight, with narrow fairways and some punishment for errant shots with lots of trees and some brush.

There are a couple of the open holes that play a little longer and let you throw a mid or fairway driver. The shorter holes offer some good ace runs, and have a good balance between right and left turning holes to keep it fair to righties and lefties.

There are decent concrete pads, that are plenty large enough for the lengths of the holes. There are basic hole signs with distance and layout, and despite vandalism most were intact. The baskets showed their age, but for the most part still caught fine.
Cons: The course gets a bit overrun with large groups of less experienced players. This combined with how close many tees are to the previous hole makes for some close calls if you're not paying attention to the group coming up behind you. It also means a round can take quite a while on a nice day. It may also be the reason there is lots of vandalism here.

The course gets a little repetitive in spots. The middle of the course is nicely technical, but all the short putter shots in the woods start to run together a little. The last few holes are just plain boring, and lose the seclusion that's so nice on the rest of the course. You can easily play this course with just a mid and a putter, it doesn't really test many different disc golf skills.
Other Thoughts: There are some fun holes here, and the wooded section of the course gives you a chance to work on shaping lines with your putters. Beginners will find the course technical but approachable, while more experienced players will find the course pretty easy without too much challenge or variety. It's not a must play by any means, but it's not one to avoid, there is some fun to be had here.

Valley View Park

5+    5/30/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: jrymaszewski
This review was updated on 6/4/2010
Pros: There are some challenging holes due to elevation, distance, etc.

Good course to brush up on your putting.

No water as of right now it has been unusually hot in this part of Wisconsin. so in the summer when it has rained previously be sure to look for some water before you tee off.

From my experience there were some very nice people there. But also some kids who really had no pace or etiquette.

The course Has some challenging cage locations.
Cons: There is a lot of trash lying around the course.

It is a pretty short course. But many people lose their disc so a lot of waiting for the people in front of you to find there's. So usually it takes a while to play eighteen.

There is also a lot of vandalism on the trees of people writing that they go an ace. Which is idiotic on their part considering the course has a little block, on the hole map, by the tee where you're supposed to inscribe your name if you get an ace.

There are a lot of trees that your disc goes off of no matter where you shoot it. This can be a good or bad thing.

Usually pretty crowded on the weekends or on nice days.
Other Thoughts: The course is extremely wooded with basically no open holes.

In the spring and summer it is a very nice looking course.

If you're looking for more of a challenge try Abendschein Park which is 10 mi. away in Oak Creek it is a better park to test your driving and approach skills. Or Village Park in Sussex. This is ten mi. away from valley view.

Also gps's do not pick up on the location of the course very well; I know mine had trouble finding it. But all you need to know is that it is on s. small road not Sunny Slope road. And you should be able to figure out where it is.

If you are a veteran to disc golf, I suggest you pass on this one.

1    5/16/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Gambl3r
Pros: -18 hole course that utilizes open space and woods.

-All concrete tee pads

-Good for beginners/amateurs & dates

-All tees labeled and easy to navigate the course (except for 16 through 18 -- see Cons)
Cons: -Tee pads set up too close to previous baskets; you have to be weary of whats going on behind you.

-If it's rained recently, it can get really muddy -- to the point of being undesirable to play. Could see bugs being a serious problem in the summer.

-Main entrance of the park has no indication or direction to the Disc Golf Course location; the parking lot with playgrounds, soccer fields & basketball courts do not connect to the parking lot for the Disc Golf Course.

-Course appears to end at hole 15. No directions to point you to cross the parking lot to get to hole 16.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in New Berlin and this course was in my neighborhood, I would not complain. It really is a nice looking course and a good walk in the woods for a city park.

On the other hand, if you are a veteran to disc golf and traveling to Milwaukee for an event and decide to hit a disc golf course while you are in town, I suggest you pass on this course and seek out something more difficult.

Still an awesome course to play

5+    10/1/2009   3/29/2010
Review By: cheesy_gordita_crunk
Pros: Short, but technical holes. A great place to practice accuracy apporach shots.

Alot of people complain that the holes are are too short and are all ace runs, but since when was that a bad thing? Courses do not have to be all 350+ foot holes to be a good course.
Valley View makes good use of the park property and offers a good mix of shots/approaches to take on each hole.
Cons: Alot of punkass "frolfer" teenagers who go out to the course to do nothing more than drink and cause trouble. This is in my opinion the only thing that would deter someone from wanting to play at Valley View. I started playing about six years ago, and the number of high school kids there has only gotten worse.

I am not bashing all the younger people who play there (I am only 21 myself), I am bashing the ones who go to the course and cause problems for everyone else.

Don't be suprised if a huge group of teens (10+ people) randomly pop out of the woods and cut you off on a tee pad. This has happened to me and my friends at least four times.

Also, bring TONS of bug spray. The course gets overrun with mosquitoes during the summer months.
Other Thoughts: I learned how to play disc golf on this course so it will naturally always have a place in my heart. I wish they could have kept the old configuration but the troublemakers ruined that for everyone.

Overall, still a great course to brush up on your short game.

Short but fun technical course

5+    1/30/2010   2/16/2010
Review By: esjaygee
Pros: - Cement tee pads for every hole. These pads have also been cleared every time I've played in the winter as well. Kudos to whoever has done this.
- Multiple pin positions on most holes. I'm pretty sure these were put in last summer, but it's a nice addition to the course.
- New signs as of summer 2009, though somebody already tore off the sign for 14.
- Good use of existing terrain making numerous uphill and downhill holes. There's even a few blind holes where you can't see the pin from the tee (#13 and #17)
- Good mix of straight, hyzer and anhyzer holes. The multiple pin positions can drastically change the feel of the hole by moving the pin from way left to way right.
- Open almost all year long
- Weekly leagues in the spring, summer and fall. I haven't played in them yet, but I look forward to this coming spring!
Cons: - Can be a bit crowded, especially with younger kids who don't follow DG etiquette. I've been thrown at a few times as I'm removing my putter from the basket.
- Shares a sledding hill in the winter and can lead to slippery trips up and down the slopes and moving targets that don't always pay attention to the DG going on around them.
- Bugs in the summer can be bad with a stream flowing through the course. I sometimes find frozen pockets of water in the winter and you have to be careful or you'll step into an ice cold patch of water when you least expect it.
Other Thoughts: Valley view is mainly a short technical course with very few ripper holes. I love hole one which plays 290 downhill, it's a great way to start a round. There's a new pin position in back by a tree making it a bit trickier than it use to be. The bulk of the course is played in/alongside the woods. If you've got a good grasp of your short technical game, I imagine there's ample opportunity for birdies (and "Valley View Aces") galore here. Unfortunately, I haven't mastered that skill yet, but it's nice to have a course close by that will force me to practice that aspect of the game. The first time I played here and I saw the plastic tubing on the trees... I was like, "Why is that on there"... thwack, ah for hacks like me! As I mentioned before, it is open year round and after navigating your way around the sledders and down the slippery hill, it's a fun course to play in winter.

Nice course, bad manners...

5+    9/30/2009   12/3/2009
Review By: timmi_g
Pros: Good use of a pretty small area. nice elevation changes on a few holes. Good challenging pin placements, with alts on a few. Cement tee pads.
Cons: Mosquitoes abound here! Add to that the punk teenagers that have zero respect for the course, & it gets kind of old.
Other Thoughts: This park has a good, strong hardcore DG following. Weekly leagues a few times a year. Special weekend events as well. Check the board @ #1's tee.

This course can get crowded in the later afternoons & weekends. Early days are usually a nice couple rounds of golfing though (especially during school time). all in all a good course, with some dipshit youths on the field at times.

Short

5+    8/17/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: bschommer
This review was updated on 5/26/2010
Pros: Great for beginners, with most holes 200-250 feet u dont need to have a cannon to go under par.

with the exception of 1-2 holes they are all very forgiving.

With decent "drives" birdie putts come a dime a dozen. With bad drives it is easy to recover par with only a decent approach.

good mix of open and woods

all holes now have signs

this course can easily be played with mid-ranges and fairway drivers

Good mix of shots but with the exception of 1 or 2 holes u can consistently have birdie chances
Cons: Very short

Like i said this course is much to forgiving, especially for any one who has been discgolfing for a few years

gets very busy and the bugs are terrible in the woods

Unfortunately there are alot of trashy people that play here so their is alot of garbage and most of the signs have now been destroyed (may 2010)
Other Thoughts: the city is doing a great job in fixing up the course, new tee pads on holes 1,2,6, and 14 in the last 2 years (08-09) all of the tees have been replaced. in the last month all of the holes have signs and distances.

even though now many of the signs have been defaced or destroyed some still say distance

there are 2 spots where it can be confusing as to where the next tee is. after hole 10 go down the hill and to the left, and after hole 15 go across the parking lot

Not too fun

5+    7/3/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: feavelan
Pros: There are many holes that you need to use different types of shots. Some are a challenge but the course isn't too hard.
Cons: Way too many people go to this course. Mostly young kids and young kids=trouble. Cops are almost always driving though to check on things. The tees are getting old and they are sinking/cracking.
Other Thoughts: I played this course a lot 10 years ago. I loved it then but over the years it's become worse to play at. As stated before there are a lot of people that play it so you often find yourself waiting between holes. Not my course of choice but it's close to my home so I do go there early in the mornings.

I like it!

5+    6/30/2006   6/18/2009
Review By: waynewf
This review was updated on 7/6/2009
Pros: What this course lacks in length, it makes up for with skill shots through the woods. I learned how to play here so I am a bit biased, but this is a fun course that is pretty well marked.
Cons: This course can get very busy and sometimes the baskets get stolen. I've also had cops harrass me on the course and ask to g othrough my disc golf bag because apparently this is a big recreation spot for the local teens.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a nice, fun little course that will demand a variety of shots without making you feel as if you need to be a pro to play there.
UPDATE: After going home for a week, I checked out the old course and it is not the same. They got rid of some of the best holes in the woods and replaced them with some halfway decent, more open holes. I totally decreased my rating here...

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin'

1    4/29/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C (even though the holes are very short, several are very tight and a bad kick early might lead to a bogey)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == D (everything is so short that a 2 is a sarcastic "oh wow - big whoop")
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C (The big downhill throw on 1 is fun! Since the holes are so short, it lends itself to just throwing putters which are easy to shape.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.