Kenosha, WI
Hole #15 Pro Tee

Prairie Open '12 Intermediate

1    4/1/2012   4/3/2012
Review By: CConnors3
Pros: - Some open shots over grassland that lets you actually use some of your fairway or distance drivers
- Some tight wooded holes that require finesse and touch
- Elevated tee pads and baskets add a little more difficulty but makes it more challenging for some players
- Well manicured course and good signage
- Course designed for all types of throws from the tee pads which plays for a versatile round
Cons: - Shorter holes may discourage those looking to dig a little deeper in their bag for distance throws
- Some holes are pretty muddy and have potential for bad mosquitoes once the spring/summer roll around
- Some of the signs appear to be inaccurate in their distance readings
- No mando's- some holes you could enforce them to make it a little bit harder
Other Thoughts: Loved the Prairie Open '12 on March 31st and April 1st this year- great sponsors and coordinators for the event. Both days had a great turn out including many Women and Junior Division players! Some holes had out of bounds but no mando's. I had a great time and look forward to playing this course when I'm in the area!

attempt to convince myself failed

5+    10/28/2010   11/6/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Hole #4 pin placement quite nice. Raised bucket surrounded by large boulders makes for nice aesthetic and interesting putt. Nice stairs up one side of this placement.
Hole #5 tee off raised deck. 10' walk up stairs and throw from deck. Also forces high release because of railing you must release over...interesting....
Hole #16 is 277 ft. Interesting thing, is early in the hole you go through a cut out portion of bushes/viney growth. This has been trimmed nicely each and every time I've been here. Makes for another quite unique view.
First four or so holes are somewhat prairie feel. After that, this becomes a fun, technical woods layout.
Two sets of tees.
Two pin placements.
39 holes total between the two courses here!
Good signage.
Concrete tees.
I am a tomahawk thrower; and this layout does offer opportunities to put this into practice for good result....especially short pins.
Cons: I end up wandering around to find hole #1 every time i come here. Stupid old hippy! But, it is a pain in the a$$.
In the short pin placements, this course borders on a deuce or die track. (Should be noted that the newer Orchid course has attempted to balance this).
As with the Orchid course, the prairie holes here; have the long grass to deal with. Even some of the more wooded portion, forces some play in this type of rough; as some pins end up just outside woods.
Other Thoughts: Paid the $2 parking fee for the first time; this trip. Didn't get a ticket the other times; but, probably a good idea to pay. Then, you don't have to worry.
I have played the original five times now; over a span of years. It's been raining a couple of times; and, even on this journey; it was overcast and pretty windy. So, perhaps this is part of my experience here. Mostly....
I JUST HAVE A HARD TIME BEING VERY EXCITED HERE.
Both courses seem somewhat repetitious to me. I really should enjoy the wooded section of the original. It fits a style I usually like, and the different pin placement possibilities offer a nice challenge. But, I always leave here wondering what I'm not getting; that others seem to enjoy?
The wandering around looking for #1 (though my own fault) bugs the crap out of me.
The shots are pretty interesting; but, if you don't tear it up, score wise, you end up feeling like you left too many shots on the course. A lot of tweener holes I guess. Narrow lanes are difficult on many of them; so, they're not easy; but, at the same time, you feel let down if you don't hit a bunch of them.
There are three unique areas of disc here; from prairie, to wooded, to manicured campus finish; but none are all that spectacular.
There are the three unique holes; and two of these three, I have not seen anywhere else. But, they aren't THAT special.
......I keep trying; but, can't convince myself that UW Parkside original deserves more than a 3 rating.

B = Be a little too short

2-4    9/17/2009   9/19/2009
Pros: I am only reviewing the 18 main holes since IMO, the new 9 holes are a completely different course (and are not developed to a point to really be playable).

What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 (and more) hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
(Over half the holes will dole out punishment enough where recovery for par after an errant drive is a real challenge.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
(Most of the holes are too short to be rewarding. Almost all of the long tees that are over 300' are pushed back to outside of my max D. This makes them not even worth playing as all I can possibly get is a par 3.....or downside bogeys. No added fun or challenge added for me on those.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A-
(Several of the new holes are tight wooded holes....but are too short. There seems to be a good balance of right and left turns a few of which are pretty severe turns that push the limits of disc flight....in a good way!)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B
(There is a nice mix of prairie feel, wooded feel and the last 3 holes even offer a manicured campus lawn and tree fairways. Only one or two beautiful spots.....and the rest is just ho-hum in the beauty department. Seclusion is surprisingly good for a course on campus. Around 2/3's of the course does allow you to feel like you are getting away from it all for a bit.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

course closed

6/22/2008   7/22/2008
Review By: matigras
Pros: Was a good course. Looks like they are building over hole one. Hope to see it back up soon.
Cons: It is closed!