Barre, MA
Barre Falls Share
Uploaded By: DeafDiscGolfer Hole #2 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #2 Tee: Water hazard on the right side next to basket

Beautiful Course

2-4    9/3/2012   9/4/2012
Review By: KCole
Pros: Layout: Great layout. Excellent use of not a ton of elevation change. Some holes felt uphill the whole way, others allowed for enormous throws downhill. Great change from the largely wooded courses found in NE. A few wooded holes, and almost ever hole had some little intricacy, some group of trees or otherwise to throw around.

Tees: Most tees are rubber mats. Some felt a little short.

OB: Several holes have OB/Mando rules. (water, roads, narrow fairways. This adds some excellent technical aspects to a few holes on course.
Cons: When I went, the fields were completely mowed (tournament play). I heard this is not always the case, and that the grass gets pretty high, making discs hard to find in the many holes in the fields. The park has many benches, but not really set up around the disc golf holes. Imagine a bench or picnic table half way down the fairway for other park-goers.
Other Thoughts: Don't park your car by hole 18. Errant drives are dangerous. I got lucky and it only hit my windshield for no damage.

Bring sunscreen/hat/sunglasses if you need it. Lots of open field walking to get burnt on.

1    7/24/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: MrHighlandPark
Pros: Really open and roomy by Massachusetts standards. Most of the wholes had well defined and maintained fairways, and they required a good variety of shots (hyzer bombs, turnovers, short & sharp anhyzers, etc).

Most of the baskets had arrows pointing to the next tee pad, and most of the tee pads had good signs.

A really beautiful property with great views, and a scenic windy road on the way there.
Cons: Holes 4 through 7 need some upkeep - we spent a lot of time searching for discs, because the fairways weren't maintained at all (in sharp contrast to the rest of the course). Hole 4 didn't even have a fairway! Unless you can park a 420 foot anhyzer around a blind corner, you are searching in 3 foot weeds.

Some of the baskets had rusty chains that don't catch the disc as well as I'd like.
Other Thoughts: My gripes about four holes are sincere, but they shouldn't discourage you from playing an otherwise great course that is accessible for beginners, and still a great skill workout for intermediate players.

A moderate amount of maintenance (mowed fairways, signs on every hole, replace a few chains) could raise this to 4.5 stars in my book.

Fun course that I will surely return to.

Another Great Stop on Our Tour!

1    6/18/2011   6/23/2011
Review By: medi0crities
Pros: A driver's course for sure, Barre Falls is a course I wish I had 5 minutes from home instead of 85. The course covers a lot of property, so be prepared for good exercise. The property itself is beautiful and the course personifies it. The signs are easy to read and the holes are clearly marked with their distinctive yellow tops. Some holes are challenging for those still developing a good drive, but if you have a decent approach game, you'll do fine and have a good time.
Cons: I thought the only tricky thing we encountered was midway through the course, there were a few holes in the woods that were unmarked and hard to identify. After watching a group play through, we were able to figure it out. These tee's and baskets kind of overlapped each other, oddly. I've concluded the reason for not having signs at these few tee's was because they've would've obstructed the tee drives of each other.
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me of Tully Lake in Royalston, MA which makes this course one the tops in New England. A very well-kept course for intermediate novices like ourselves who love the game and aren't nit-picky about tee's being level or clearly defined fairways (even though this course has both). Have fun! Go early!

varied course

1    6/3/2010   6/6/2010
Review By: insulatedmemory
Pros: nicely varied holes. clean mowed fairways. nice tees. spread out over the land lots of walking
Cons: dont realy have negatives for this course
Other Thoughts: if you throw rhbh make sure your good with your anhyzer. and have fun

My first ever and favorite!

5+    3/30/2010   4/7/2010
Review By: spinderella
Pros: This is the course that I have played most often. This is also the course I lose the most discs on. It's my favorite course to play, mostly because of the variety of holes on this course. I love the scenery, the open fields and the diversity of the holes. I could (and have) spent the day here enjoying this course and this park. I have been here in the fall and the spring. The fall is my favorite time to be here. No bugs, no excess water! Well marked course, good tees.
Cons: A lot of this course is under water in the spring. Can be mucky in areas after rain.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, this course is my favorite, and I'd play it every week if I could!

Great course that I consider my home

5+    8/2/2009   8/3/2009
Review By: rootcanalsarebad
This review was updated on 4/12/2010
Pros: Nice mix of wooded and open holes. Tons of memorable holes. Rarely crowded. Free to play/public course. Beautiful setting.
Cons: Easy to lose discs (water, woods, etc.). Can flood easily. Easy to get lost 1st time out. Very buggy at times.
Other Thoughts: This course is just so much fun to play. A great mix of wooded and "open" holes, with plenty of hazards that will challenge even pro golfers. The first 3 holes rest within a river, and if you're not careful on holes 1 and 3, you could see your discs sink to the bottom! The back 9 is where this course really shines. Every hole from 9 on is simply outstanding, from the narrow and woodsy hole 11, to the wide open (after the first 50 feet!) hole 16. You will leave this course and remember certain holes, and you'll have a craving to come back for more. This course is rarely crowded, and free to play, making it easy on the budget. I will never get tired of playing this course, and look forward to returning again as soon as possible.

EDIT: Upping this course to 4 discs. When the grass is short, it is staggeringly nice.

The Best Dam Course in Western Mass!

1    9/7/2008   9/7/2008
Review By: Luke@DiscTrips
Pros: A gorgeous setting for this long and interesting 18. It's free (unlike so many MA 18s), and refreshingly out in the open. The first few holes offer some great risk/reward with a dicey holding pond that spills out of an imposing, scenic dam. Very cool. Great use of the space, with everything from wooded "plinko" holes to long, grassy strength-testers.
Cons: A little hard to follow on your first time out, but once you find them, the tee signs are great & very descriptive. Some fairways pass rather close to one another, but none quite "cross" and it's not too much of a distraction. Some tee boxes get pretty soggy after rain.
Other Thoughts: A peaceful and refreshingly different round! Well worth a visit. When there, make sure to check out the nearby Goodnow Park for a TOTALLY different kind of course experience.