Barre, MA
Barre Falls Share
Uploaded By: DeafDiscGolfer Hole #11 (Taken 5/2009)

One of the best

5+    4/18/2010   4/29/2010
Review By: dyland34
This review was updated on 5/31/2010
Pros: Long Drives mixed with some woody sections great look and great place to play Not too busy and usually alot of fun to play challenges your arm offer a good challenge decent tee pads
Cons: Some water hazards, is sometimes flooded some times can run into large groups but not to bad grass is awful later in the summer it has taken me longer to find a disc than play a hole in some cases
Other Thoughts: solid course and best to play in begining on season goes from a 4.5 to a 3 when the grass is high the high grass turns 6 fun holes into 6 hell holes

My first ever and favorite!

5+    3/30/2010   4/7/2010
Review By: spinderella
Pros: This is the course that I have played most often. This is also the course I lose the most discs on. It's my favorite course to play, mostly because of the variety of holes on this course. I love the scenery, the open fields and the diversity of the holes. I could (and have) spent the day here enjoying this course and this park. I have been here in the fall and the spring. The fall is my favorite time to be here. No bugs, no excess water! Well marked course, good tees.
Cons: A lot of this course is under water in the spring. Can be mucky in areas after rain.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, this course is my favorite, and I'd play it every week if I could!

Death to Mosquitos!

1    8/25/2009   9/2/2009
Review By: solomon.trenton
This review was updated on 3/10/2011
Pros: The course at Barre Falls is very well designed and offers a little bit to everyone and gives a chance to all levels of players. The use of the changes in elevation makes your workout strenuous but offers quite a different variety of shots. Rubber tee pads are a great addition here as some of the tee pads are on a slope and wet grass sucks. It was just recently mowed (which made discs easier to find but let all the bugs come out) and the fairways were clearly defined by lower green grass. Paths were made out so you knew where the next tee box was. This was especially helpful because you would be lost without them. All of the holes except for the first two have very legible colored tee signs: this is a huge plus because on more than half the holes the baskets are out of sight. You can see multiple baskets from some of the tees; all of the baskets are numbered though so you can always go and see where you are throwing to. Public restrooms available in a shelter by hole one.
Cons: The baskets are rusting and could defiantly use some TLC. A couple of tee signs are missing. Even though the grass was recently cut(ankle high, but I am told it gets up to chest high) it still made for rough going as it was thick and all the dead stuff was left on top. The bugs are a killer and are after you every hole so bring lots of spray (even though it didn't work for me). Some of the rubber is either worn or broken off in chunks on the tee pads which can make it a difficult drive.
Other Thoughts: Orange caps are required between Columbus Day and December 31st because of the hunters. If you don't play with a local you will more than likely get lost. Hole 17 is right after the dam building off to the right. Hole 18 is across the street from 17's basket. There was a bulletin board but lacked course information. The course does look decently maintained and the park in general is very well kept up. A big thanks goes out to the Army Corps of Engineers for doing the course.

attack of the mosquitos and tall grass

1    8/11/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: dj cabron
Pros: Beautiful scenery of the dam and woods!!! This is a very beautiful course and at least worth playing at least once to say you've been there and enjoyed your surroundings. Interesting layout on some holes and creative uses of nature to tie into play.
Cons: The grass was waaaaaaay too high and not enough area was cut to have a fun time. We spent more time looking for lost discs right next to the fairway than we did actually playing on several holes. The mosquitos were quite attrocious, they seemed to just come from everywhere and especially when trecking through the tall grass, you have them all on you eventually. We did not find any ticks amazingly, which was interesting given how long we were in the tall grass. Pin placement could have been better on some holes. They did move a couple of holes from what we heard (#2 for example) so you had less of a chance of throwing into the dam. It also woul dhave been nice for some markers to be put down so 1st timers to the course would know where the next tee was. A few of the tee pads and baskets looked in rough shape and were deteriorating or pretty much broken.
Other Thoughts: For what it's worth, Barre Falls is an OK course. I'm glad that the Army Corps of Engineers allow us disc golfers to play on their space (here, Buffumville and elsewhere) With just a little bit more mowing on some holes and maybe some trash bins put around, Barre Falls could easily become one of my favorite courses to play. Try it and judge for yourself.

decent

1    6/4/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: dukdukgolf
Pros: good layout. Some very nice holes. Pretty wide open course so a nice change for me. You can really just let it rip.
Cons: The tall grass is a bit crzy. So hard to find discs if your not in fairway. my wife gave up after like 6 holes.

Wet and buggy

1    8/1/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: Tippie4
Pros: This course was very well laid out, it felt very natural, none of the holes felt like they where just squeezed in. There is a nice picnic area with public restrooms. The course was full of people the day we played but the views make it a really enjoyable day.
Cons: For me this course was to wide open mowing a fairway in a field and leaving waist high grass is not my idea of shaping a course. Granted the not all hole are like that but there are too many for my taste. The baskets have a hand made inner ring of chains, didn't know what to think about them. The extra set of chains where rusty, and where not connected at the bottom of the basket. The course was flooded so bad that the 1st basket was in 6 inches of water making the 1st hole not playable. I guess one of the downfalls of being part of a damned lake.
Other Thoughts: Be ready to fight the mosquitoes I was there they where out in full force. There were also a few wet areas from the large amount for rain that has fallen this year.

Great course that I consider my home

5+    8/2/2009   8/3/2009
Review By: rootcanalsarebad
This review was updated on 4/12/2010
Pros: Nice mix of wooded and open holes. Tons of memorable holes. Rarely crowded. Free to play/public course. Beautiful setting.
Cons: Easy to lose discs (water, woods, etc.). Can flood easily. Easy to get lost 1st time out. Very buggy at times.
Other Thoughts: This course is just so much fun to play. A great mix of wooded and "open" holes, with plenty of hazards that will challenge even pro golfers. The first 3 holes rest within a river, and if you're not careful on holes 1 and 3, you could see your discs sink to the bottom! The back 9 is where this course really shines. Every hole from 9 on is simply outstanding, from the narrow and woodsy hole 11, to the wide open (after the first 50 feet!) hole 16. You will leave this course and remember certain holes, and you'll have a craving to come back for more. This course is rarely crowded, and free to play, making it easy on the budget. I will never get tired of playing this course, and look forward to returning again as soon as possible.

EDIT: Upping this course to 4 discs. When the grass is short, it is staggeringly nice.

Nice Course

2-4    7/19/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: andapos
This review was updated on 8/26/2009
Pros: Great area, usually not crowded, very very nice course for beginners to get used to playing and learning how to throw their discs, some holes are very well designed and thought out, offers a fair challenge, some of the hole are excellent.
Cons: Not cleaned out often (beers cans are frequently seen around the tees), lots of bugs... probably has to do with the standing water and mud on a few holes. Floods with lots of rain.
Other Thoughts: This was my first course, and I found it extremely fun and challenging at times. For more advanced players its probably a little easy, but still great fun. The only major annoyance was the flooding. First hole was underwater and when you're standing on the tee you can't really tell. Its best to check it out before hand.

I recently played this course and the grass was freshly mowed and what a difference it makes! Holes 5, 7, 8 and 9 are MUCH more enjoyable and open. When the grass is long these can be a pain. With the grass mowed this course is a 4 out of 5. Overall, even with the tall grass, Barre is still a very fun course which I recommend.

1    4/1/2009   4/13/2009
Review By: shamroc333
Pros: It is a wide open course so it is a nice play to practice distance throws. I think it is a nice walk also. Well marked off you will not get lost. It is a very playable course. Nice place to bring a dog or family.
Cons: Not much devirsity in the holes. They are all pretty wide open shoots.
Other Thoughts: This was where I played my first round ever and it was a great place because I didn't hit a tree every throw. I still play it every now and then to whip the disk around. It is fun to see how far you can throw.

This is where it all started for me

5+    3/28/2009   4/1/2009
Review By: frizgolfkiller
Pros: Excellent mixture of shorter and longer holes and wooded to wide open. A couple really challenging drives through the narrow gaps in the woods into wide open fields. The course itself is beautiful, first 3 holes play along a river.
Cons: During the summer the grass gets absurdly long and you'll definitely need bug spray or you'll get eaten alive. They got rid of my favorite hole on the course. 15 used to go over the gorge right near the bridge you drive over. That and hole 2 really helped make this course stand out in terms of interesting/challening shots.
Other Thoughts: I want to give this course a 5 so bad because this is my home course but in recent years they have been reshaping it (for the worse in my opinion).