Gurnee, IL

1 2 3 Next >
 Solid Course

6/14/2008   6/15/2008
Review By: TenaciousMV
Pros: Wide variety of shots required to score well; no 'worthless' or 'throw away' holes; always easy to find your disc on poor shots; poor shots are still penalized; cement tee pads; wood chips on each wooded fairway; benches; decent signs on each hole; each wooded hole is unique to the others, as is each open hole; nice area; low 'bug factor'; multiple tees on some holes; doesn't seem to get busy (wasn't at noon on a Saturday at all)
Cons: No holes that dazzle, except maybe #9; some alternate tees don't provide much more challenge; elevation only comes into play on one hole; some longish walks between holes (200-300' - which i still prefer to a pointless, wide open hole)
Other Thoughts: I was really surprised by this one. Only 9 holes, in the middle of a public park, and not a lot of distance - it was still a lot of fun. I went to this course and one other in Northern IL yesterday from Milwaukee for a road trip. My friend and I both agreed we'll be back here the next time we're in the area. Even after playing 3 straight rounds, neither of us would have left if it weren't for time constraints.

The fact that this course requires a variety of shots, penalizes bad throws, and is well maintained gives it a 2.5 - above average. On top of this, there isn't one hole on the entire course that feels like a total gimmie. Number 8 is close, but it's a downhill shot which adds something.

What really stood out about this course for me is that there isn't anything that's clearly missing. I had a very difficult time creating a list of cons, as most of them are quite minor. Even courses that I've rated as excellent have things that really bug me - this one didn't. Even though it doesn't have any holes that will blow you away, this is a course that would be fun to play all day. Warren Township Park is 'Very Good - 3.5'. Worth the hour drive for me - check it out.

4/15/2008   4/15/2008
Review By: Noah Karnes
Pros: I can see where this could be a fun little course for new players or if you're in town nearby. Hole 8 is pretty cool - it has you throwing from the top of a huge sledding hill. Other than that, there's nothing really unique about it.
Cons: In general, I'm not a big fan of 9 hole courses and when I played, hole 9 wasn't available. The holes really weren't clearly marked. I got lost a few times trying to find the next tee. The 'hole info' page said there are alternate tees, but I didn't see any.
Other Thoughts: If I'm gonna drive out to Gurnee, I would much rather spend my time at Six Flags Great America. I wouldn't drive too far to play this course.

1 2 3 Next >