Gurnee, IL

Pros/Cons + Course Changed

5+    5/19/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: steven2361
This review was updated on 7/25/2009
Pros: Variety of shots, it'll challenge your accuracy if not necesarily your driving power. Hole 8 of the sledding hill is great. I usually end up throwing all my discs before i go down to finish the hole.
Cons: Very Wooded, trees help and hinder. Many runners, bikers, sports ect. Park itself gets very busy. Water Hazards come into play when it has rained recently and lake is by holes 7 & 9.
Also, it's usually very muddy. All signs are gone/stolen. There is also much litter.
Other Thoughts: The course is changed from whats in the pictures. Old 1 is the new 2. New 1 is from the road to near new 2's tee. Old 2 & 3 no longer exist. :( I guess they took it away because it was too close to the high school. The new 3 is now nearer to the parking lot and straight towards near the baseball fields. Also Hole 9 was changed to go towards the lake on the left. It is also a very short hole, dont overthrow it into the lake.

A- = Almost as good as a 9-holer can be

2-4    4/12/2009   4/19/2009
This review was updated on 2/28/2011
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B+
(Playing fences, paths and seasonal standing water (hole 1 & 7) as OB the trees give the fairways defined shape and decent punishment for errant shots. Definitely a technical course.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == B+
(From the long tees where they exist, this course is a challenge to get to 4-5 down on. True, there are a few very short holes, but those are balanced by some long and tight ones. I score well on many courses using one driver, one mid and one putter......not this course - I need multiple discs to score well. I think this is the x-factor that bumps my overall score to an A- from what otherwise averages out to a B+.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+
(This course has variations of right, left, straight and down that is pretty good for only 9 holes. At least 1/2 the holes really force you to throw on a specific line. I would say the designer maxed out the land given.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
(Clean park that is well maintained and pretty. Seclusion is minimal.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == +1
(Bonus point added for hole 5 that is unreachable and requires good placement on the drive to get a decent look for your up and down to the basket. A little short for a really good par-4, but kudos for including this sort of hole on this course!)

Solid Course

6/14/2008   6/15/2008
Review By: TenaciousMV
Pros: Wide variety of shots required to score well; no 'worthless' or 'throw away' holes; always easy to find your disc on poor shots; poor shots are still penalized; cement tee pads; wood chips on each wooded fairway; benches; decent signs on each hole; each wooded hole is unique to the others, as is each open hole; nice area; low 'bug factor'; multiple tees on some holes; doesn't seem to get busy (wasn't at noon on a Saturday at all)
Cons: No holes that dazzle, except maybe #9; some alternate tees don't provide much more challenge; elevation only comes into play on one hole; some longish walks between holes (200-300' - which i still prefer to a pointless, wide open hole)
Other Thoughts: I was really surprised by this one. Only 9 holes, in the middle of a public park, and not a lot of distance - it was still a lot of fun. I went to this course and one other in Northern IL yesterday from Milwaukee for a road trip. My friend and I both agreed we'll be back here the next time we're in the area. Even after playing 3 straight rounds, neither of us would have left if it weren't for time constraints.

The fact that this course requires a variety of shots, penalizes bad throws, and is well maintained gives it a 2.5 - above average. On top of this, there isn't one hole on the entire course that feels like a total gimmie. Number 8 is close, but it's a downhill shot which adds something.

What really stood out about this course for me is that there isn't anything that's clearly missing. I had a very difficult time creating a list of cons, as most of them are quite minor. Even courses that I've rated as excellent have things that really bug me - this one didn't. Even though it doesn't have any holes that will blow you away, this is a course that would be fun to play all day. Warren Township Park is 'Very Good - 3.5'. Worth the hour drive for me - check it out.

4/15/2008   4/15/2008
Review By: Noah Karnes
Pros: I can see where this could be a fun little course for new players or if you're in town nearby. Hole 8 is pretty cool - it has you throwing from the top of a huge sledding hill. Other than that, there's nothing really unique about it.
Cons: In general, I'm not a big fan of 9 hole courses and when I played, hole 9 wasn't available. The holes really weren't clearly marked. I got lost a few times trying to find the next tee. The 'hole info' page said there are alternate tees, but I didn't see any.
Other Thoughts: If I'm gonna drive out to Gurnee, I would much rather spend my time at Six Flags Great America. I wouldn't drive too far to play this course.

1 2 3 Next >