10 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: - emphasis on controlled, precise shots through difficult tree lines favors finesse players. a good technical course
- dense tree cover keeps most of the course cool during hot sun. also makes wind a near non-factor
- usually not very crowded (especially before 4 or 5).
- basket placements in relation to teepads provides a mix of holes that favor both orthodox throwers and southpaws
- teepads and baskets in good shape
- new garbage cans recently added, so 80% of the holes now have receptacles which should cut down on the litter
- always new lanes to discover, every time i play i end up with a look i've never had before. some of the holes give you a front door/back door approach option off the teepad, others are obviously intended for a nice big turn or a floaty glide through a clearing. a solid mix.
- lots of discs stuck in trees around baskets for you to collect and/or return
- serves the purpose of the local "woody" course in the cedar rapids area
- have yet to have a negative experience with another player i've met on the course, including stolen discs, basic etiquette breaches, and that sort of thing. that is, except for litterbugs.
- easy to navigate, both due to layout design and from pathways being made from people walking and eroding away dirt. was built by the same guys that build the great eastern iowa course Wildcat Bluff
- located in north eastern cedar rapids, very easy to get to from the city or interstate
- as of late fall of 2010, the course is undergoing changes including 2 new holes and 3 new placements
Cons: - foliage thick around fairways, squirrly throws usually have to be bushwhacked for. nettle and poison ivy patches create what i guess you could call "bunkers" near some greens
- lots of litter around teepads, mostly empty beer cans, despite garbage cans on most holes, plus things written with marker on some signs (not to the point where they aren't readable though) and vandalized benches/garbage cans
- a few holes are pretty much no fly zones all around the tee thanks to slews of both mature and young trees
- hole 13 has a sewage drain right in the middle of it, and sections of the fairway are almost always mucky almost every time i go
- the teepad on the seventh hole is on a very noticeable upward slope
- there is parking in the back at hole 15, but i see broken glass back there sometimes from people's windows getting broken out. probably better off parking up front near the entrance, but dont park too far from the bathrooms on that side of the lot: shanks from the 18th hole will nail your car
Other Thoughts: this course is currently undergoing some big changes and will soon be even more challenging to the player. litter is being cut down on, two
navigation: after hole 4, take a right and walk down the road. you will see the fifth tee to your right. the sixth is down the hill to the left of the basket for hole 5. after hole five, walk back across the road and you will see the path leading up to the seventh hole. after hole 15, the 16th hole is located down the hill to the right of the 15th, almost running parallel. every other hole should be easy to find for first timers, as paths have been walked into the forest.
oh yeah, and bring bug spray. i consider this somewhat of my "home course" as i play here most every day regardless of weather. if any dgcr members happen to be in the area and are interesting in playing the course/just having a casual round, i'd be more than happy to come out and shoot with you.
10 of 13 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
A Texan in Iowa.
Pros: It was a fun course, met up with two guys in the parking lot and they let me play with them. A third friend of theirs showed up and played as well. Sorry to the Iowa boys that I crushed, but it was great game!
- Beautiful course, huge elms, great green areas.
- Nice mix of elevation changes
- Nice variation on shot selection
- I can't remember what hole it was but the short hole where you play from the edge of the road to a little hill island and it's sloped on either side is quite a dandy, parked it right on the back side of the basket without it rolling down.
Enjoyed it, will play again next time I'm in Iowa.
Cons: - Trash overflowing in places.
- Very thick 'rough' off the fairways
- Can kind of get lost when you have to cross back across the road to move to the other holes.
- It was a sunny day when I went but had been rainy recently, kind of muddy but that is not a con, however, some fairways were not clear and could use some cleaning up, mowing, brush and leave collection as well.
Other Thoughts: Upgrades:
- Add trash cans every 3 holes or so.
- Clean park (possibly the local Disc Golf club can sponsor an event/tournament to do this)
- Very wooded possibly clearing some of the trees out or stripping them down from 6 feet to the ground to make it easier to see through the woods.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 2 Not
Not really a fan
Pros: *Nice wooded setting in a hilly forest
*Mostly private setting, dedicated to DG
*Close to downtown cedar rapids
*Variety of shots needed & good use of elevation
Cons: *Course is trashed. Like random beer bottles & cans EVERYWHERE -- around the teepad, in the fairway, in the shule where your tree-richocheted shot lands
*People have had a really heavy impact on the land ... i don't know if its the soil, the traffic or that the course has been around a while, but most of the fairways are pure dirt & erosion looks like a big issue on most of the holes that are on hills
*Most of the holes have fairway trees. several are so bad you may as well just throw and hope, b/c 70% chance you're going to hit a tree. no viable lines on many holes -- as in there is more luck than skill
*not fun to play - the luck factors gets frustrating (and boring)
*short; no multishot holes
*some of the teepads suck -- concrete aimed away from the hole & slanting at an angle up in the air
Other Thoughts: This was the least favorite of the 6 courses I played on a recent trip through IL & IA....and i generally like (and play well on) wooded courses. The place really was trashed as the other reviews have noted, both with litter and impact on the land (fragile soil?). I found most of the holes to be frustrating as they had no clear valid fairways. good shots would richochet off trees; bad shots would end up parked -- no risk/reward, high luck factor
I met some locals @ wildcat bluff after playing this who said that shaver was an acquired taste. i could see some appeal, but seems more like the setting than the course.
Why play this when you are only 25 minutes from wildcat bluff?
5 of 7 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 7 Not
Pros: Technical with distance. Shade over most holes in the summer. Easy to navigate.
Cons: Few garbage cans.
Other Thoughts: Technical and very wooded. Risk/Reward course. Find the right line and you can do well. A lot of elevation change.
0 of 7 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 6 Not
Pros: Definitely makes you work at the shots. Not an easy course, so you have to try alot harder.
Cons: Lots of trees. The leaves make it really bad in the fall, use a BRIGHT disk for playing, even if it's not the best disk for the shot.
Other Thoughts: I learned to play on this course, so I'm partial. I've played all the other courses in the CR/Marion/North Liberty/Coralville area though and I always come back. It's definitely my favorite -- but I like a challenge.
0 of 6 people found this review helpful.
good for C.R. courses
3 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: A park that is pretty much just for disc golf now. Heavily wooded throughout the course. Line shaping abilities are needed here. As a more exerienced player, I enjoyed the technical requirements that this course has, a beginner won't. Large teesigns on most holes. Large cement teepads are big, flat and level. Baskets are in great shape with a couple of new ones throughout. Recent changes include new holes which actually add a fair amount of elevation to them, especially hole 7 that drops about 80 feet or more. Park is secluded so you don't have to worry about other park users.
Cons: Navigation is continues to be a big issue. Very confusing layout after some of the new holes are added. As is stands of 08/13/2012 the signs are messed up and you can easily get lost. However based on the recent improvements to this course, I can see this being changed as well, and hope. Next tee signs on the ground near the baskets would be of big help here. Trash is definately an issue as well. All the trash cans were overfilled and random beer bottles/cans throughout the course. Benches and teesigns are marked throughout as well.
Other Thoughts: This is definately the best course in Cedar Rapids area. Heavily wooded and hilly courses are my favorite and this is just that. The new holes really work well and are much fun to play. A few new benches and teepads are signs that this course is in the state of improvement. Unfortunately I don't live close by to play this on a regualr basis, but always look forward to coming back to Cedar Rapids to play this course. Will update this review in the future as this continues to transform into a better course. Update: lanscaping continues to improve, and the new holes are being broken in. The locals are working hard on this course. Still waiting to see all new signs and navigation aids though.
3 of 4 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: I love this course. I learned at this course and it rules. It's tough, but nice shots are real nice here. You can almost always find at least one good line through the trees. It's the definition of a risk/reward course. The fall is a tough time to play it though, I lost my first disc of the year there this week in an open fairway just cause of the leaves.
Cons: Some people aren't very good about carrying their trash out but that's about it. Some people complain about the parking and that the park closes in the fall but there is a back entrance that is always open.
Other Thoughts: I've played this course at least a hundred times and its a blast, if like courses in the woods you've gotta check it out.
4 of 6 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: It's a very challenging course through the woods. The signs and holes are in good condition, little waiting, and a good mix of different hole types.
Cons: One of the back nine holes had a basket missing, which was present before 2008. Some holes have too many trees in the fairway to have clean shots. The parking isn't the best.
Other Thoughts: This isn't a beginner's course, however I've warmed up to it and love the challenge and low crowding unlike Jones and Legion.
1 of 4 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 5 Not
Pros: Excellent course, majority of the course is through the woods, very well marked holes.
Cons: Nothing is really bad about it, can be a bit buggy when wet but thats all
Other Thoughts: Very fun course, so far i believe its the best one in Cedar Rapids but i have yet to play Jones yet.
1 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.