Layout Extinct

Oak Brook, IL
Central Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: jenco Hole #8 (Taken 10/2011)
4 / 272ft.   4 / 272ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Of course in Oak Brook

5+    5/28/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: davidwebb
Pros: Great mix of short technical shots and long holes. Nothing that's so long to make you feel bad about your driving though. Lots of obstacles but the ground is pretty clear. 3 or 4 times I thought I had lost my disc only to realize it was in plain sight. The park is beautiful (it's in one of the richest suburbs in the U.S. so I would expect that). It was the first time I played on rubber tees, which was another plus. The soccer fields across the parking lot were where I learned how to stabilize my drive (finally got it consistently over 350ft!) and it is easy to judge how far you drive there (a soccer field is 360ft long). Rock surround the base of the holes, and, while there is some mud there, it minimizes the amount of times you have to use a towel on your discs. I came after 3 days of decent rain and it was not really that muddy at all, there was also a minimal amount of bugs around. I played Knock Knolls (in Naperville) the day before and was absolutely swarmed by gnats and mesquitos.
Cons: Hmmm. I guess you could say that it might be a little short for people who drive over 400ft consistently, but I think all of the positive aspects here make up for that, and then some...and then some more.
Other Thoughts: The neighborhood is safe and beautiful. I work at the community pool in Hinsdale so this is a 6 minute drive from my work up Route 83. A gated community (the good kind) is across the road. I did not give it a 5 because I don't consider it the "ultimate" disc golf course. Its pretty darn good though.

Nice Compact Course

5+    5/7/2009   5/12/2009
Review By: manzilla86
Pros: The first time I played this course I played through it 4 times. It is a well designed course for the space that is allowed for it. I like to rate courses on how they utilize the space that they are given, and they do an extremely good job mixing up holes with left, right, and straight holes.

As for navigation, I found the course pretty easy. I had no guide and was there alone, but figured out the course quickly without getting lost.
Cons: When I played the course, it was very muddy, but I think that was more because it was spring and not something that is normal at the course.

The biggest con is, while being in a big park is probably one of the reasons the course exists, it can get terribly crowded on weekends, and parking during a soccer tournament is a zoo. I went to play this course one Saturday and couldn't find parking, then got stuck in the park by other cars for about a half hour. Not fun, but also not the courses fault.
Other Thoughts: The course locals are very friendly, when I was playing there last a random guy told me how they have doubles play every Thursday and invited me to come. Also, the same group does volunteer maintenance, which is probably why the course is well maintained.

5+    5/6/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: Bytor
Pros: Nicely layed out course
good signs
very clean & well maintaned
Cons: Odd that you have to walk past 9th hole to get to the 6th hole.
Only 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: This course is great for beginners and
veterans alike.
If your in Oak Brook play it!!!!

It's a GEM!

2-4    4/30/2009   5/1/2009
Review By: jace
This review was updated on 5/2/2009
Pros: This course exemplifies what a 9-hole park setting type course SHOULD BE! Let's face it, this course was designed to be part of a huge multi-use sport park that attracts alot of people. With that understanding in mind, it gives you a little different perspective if you have played several courses.

- Beautiful short course that is layed out within the woods at the edge of the park.
- Hole variety is great with 1 Straight/ 3 Left/ 5 Right.
- One of the best mix of hole types I have seen on a 9-hole course. You will experience a little bit of everything from an open tee shot into a tightly tree surrounded basket to a tree wrapped tee shot into an open fairway, and yes there are even a couple of corridor holes. GREAT overall mix of layouts.
- Very nice course map/sign at hole 1.
- Course is easy to follow without a map and well marked for hole transitions.
- Overall course beauty is a 7/10 IMO.
- Course design really allows the experienced player to utilize their bag of tricks. Just a great mix of approach shots and more experienced players should be putting for birdie on most holes.
- Overall course maintenance appears to be fantastic. This is most likely due again to having it within such a large well used park.
- Perfect length course for beginners.
Cons: - The tee pads are not even close to big enough. Roughly 4x8.
- Not much elevation change.
- Just a touch too short for the experienced player.
Other Thoughts: - Restroom located at 1st Hole.
- Benches and trash cans were scattered throughout. Course was very clean!
- Nice tee signs which were very helpful for a first time player.
- It would tremendously benefit from larger tees without question!

This is truly a GEM for a 9-hole course! For those who have not experienced the variety of courses out there, take my word this is one of the best there is when it comes to variety within one course.

For more information see my detailed course review in the links section.

Favorite near Chicago

2-4    4/21/2009   4/24/2009
Review By: btank
Pros: Peaceful and mostly secluded from the rest of the park. You could drink a beer without mothers giving you disapproving looks. Its through the woods some, but not too much.
Cons: Could be longer, I really wish there was 18 holes on this course.
Other Thoughts: This is arguably the best course near Chicago, or atleast that I have played.

How can Indianapolis have so many better courses than a city 4 times its size???

B = Better than average 9-holer

1    4/9/2009   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B-

Home Course

5+    3/27/2009   4/2/2009
Review By: Countchunkula
This review was updated on 2/9/2010
Pros: -Oak Brook is a challenging, occasionally frustrating course.
-The majority of fairways are bordered with thick woods, forcing you to take a particular line down the fairway.
-Good, newer baskets
-While most of the holes are difficult, most are 2-able.
-Hole 6 is the exception, It's a monster, 398' It starts out with a mando on the right about 100' out followed by a narrow fairway for approx. 125 ft. before it opens up for the remainder of the hole. I have never seen (or heard of) this one deuced.
-This course has nice, large, rubber tee pads with adequate signs and newly added trash cans by tee pads.
Cons: Only 9 holes.
Very little elevation change.
Dense rough in summer.
Can get pretty crowded.
Only 1 set of tees.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Can be rough on beginners due to thick rough and evergreen trees.
This course is very different in summer vs. spring or fall. The already narrow fairways really fill in once the trees and bushes really puff up.
They do doubles leagues here Thursday nights in summer and Sunday day during eary spring, late fall.

Do yuppies disc golf?

1    11/7/2008   11/7/2008
Review By: ForehandMAN36
Pros: * Well maintained park
* Quality baskets
* Detailed tee signs
* rubber tee areas
* tight fairways really challenge your ability in 2 ways. 1. Putting thought into what path you wanna take on a throw and your ability to follow through on throwing it through a narrow fairway. 2. Really works on your short game, lot of obstacles!
* Layout easy to follow.
Cons: * Hole # 4 has skinny/young trees that stick out like a sore thumb smack dead in the fairway.
* Hole # 6 has a parking lot to the left with many expensive vehicles parked in it. Makes a player very cautious throwing.
Other Thoughts: Nice job of placing a quality 9 hole course in such a tight space. I'd gladly play again.

Very fun, tough course!

1    9/22/2008   10/1/2008
Review By: krc1130
Pros: Very pretty course in the middle of a MASSIVE park. Well marked holes, as well as a board at the first hole detailing the course layout. Some very tight shots, while a few let you open up a bit. Not the longest course, however, the tight fairways really make you work for a good drive. There may be no 500 footers, but definitely provides a great challenge. The rubber tees are quite nice, as well. Mostly wooded course, though a few shots allow you to open up a bit.
Cons: No elevation changes, but the course is so tough as is, I doubt that it is needed. Some holes are harder to get to, but everything is marked fairly well. If you lose a disc in the brush, you may have issues getting through some more dense areas. My legs and arms were irritated after getting jabbed with pine needles. I was lucky to not have to get into the poison ivy on the course.
Other Thoughts: Very challenging course - I'm not great, but I played with some better players who had trouble with a number of holes here. Though this course might be hard to find, it's pretty conveniently located off of some major roads. Just off 83 in Oak Brook, right by the McDonald's headquarters - you may just have to zig-zag a bit through the park complex. This is a very pretty, very fun course that requires a good amount of skill - hopefully you don't have to be roaming through the dense trees and brush too much!

5+    6/25/2008   8/27/2008
Review By: Disc Golf Greg
This review was updated on 4/15/2010
Pros: -One of my favorite course layouts in the area
-They make best use of the land as they can
-Challenging but not unfair holes
-Each hole offers something different, no two holes are alike.
-Nice well maintained park, very clean when I was there.
-Porta-Potty's
-Rubber tee pads, in good condition
-Tee signs are all there and in good condition
-Good winter course when the trees are bare this course still offers some challenge
-Trash cans at every Hole
-Flows good considering the traffic amount
-Challenging for veterans and good for beginners too
- Good course where you can really just let a drive lose and not feel restricted, unlike a lot of the courses in the area
-Doesn't flood, all the water is drained to the last basket
-Next tee sign was recently added in a confusing spot for first time players
-Nicely maintained, grass is always cut, everything is kept clean, garbage cans are emptied regularly
-Doubles play here
-Baskets are in perfect condition
Cons: -Approach shots on 9's Basket could easily end up dangerously close at Hole #1's tee pad.
-Poison Ivy
-Hole 9 floods out from time to time
-The Dirt paths to the next tee pads are usually pretty muddy, but mulch would fix that right up.
-Some bushes on the left side of Hole #1's fairway have thorns
Other Thoughts: Easily one of the best Chicago Land courses. This is one of my favorite courses in the area. It's well worth a long car ride.