Summit, IL
Summit Park Share
Uploaded By: fractalzoom Hole #10 (Taken 10/2010)

D = Disaster....or Deal with the Disaster

1    6/3/2010   6/23/2010
Pros: I feel very conflicted about handing out my 2nd lowest grade for 18 holers (a 64 grade = a solid D) to this course. Summit is so quirky and random that it is actually "fun" in a sadistic sort or way (see point 3 below). I can certainly see where a certain segment of the DG playing population would rate this course higher than I did, but right near the bottom is where this course lands using my normal metrics for ranking/grading courses. As a point of reference, I am a pretty accurate thrower and feel fortunate to have scored a 55 here (and I am a LHBH player to boot).

What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == D
(Very few decisions to be made on most holes. Due to the severe narrowness of the fairways and the unflyable fairway shape of many holes, you can get burned just as badly by playing for a safe 3 as going for it on every hole. So, I find myself gunning at the basket every hole and laughing on all the pinballs and rolling my eyes at the times I park my drive under the basket).

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == D
(The holes are almost all very short - short enough where I would expect a birdie on every hole if it were any other course. But as alluded to, getting to the pin is too often based on luck….and that somehow never feels rewarding.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C
(I want to grade this one higher as a lot of holes have interesting shapes….but that is counterbalanced by too many holes with dumb shapes. What this course does better than any I have played is provide a place to practice creative recovery shots. Between fairways that resemble being in the rough (on many courses) and having serious rough along the fairways on the others, I highly recommend this course to develop that part of your game - which is an essential part of scoring well anywhere with trees.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == D+
(I HATE Buckthorns. This invasive non-indigenous species is a blight on the upper Midwest. They are doubly nasty when they do not get enough sun and exist in a state of disease and half-deadness. They are all over this course and make it feel run down. I pity and admire those dedicated to keeping this course trimmed back and playable!)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == NA
(Many holes here turn out to be multi-throw holes, but you only plan to go putter-putter-putter off the tee on 2-3 holes to make your par-3.)
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well this course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. See my profile for specifics on my rating philosophy.

I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (150+ 18-hole, 90+ 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here.