Summit, IL
Summit Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #8 (Taken 5/2010)

Summit Park

1    9/5/2010   9/5/2010
Review By: jwetter
Pros: -Nice rubber tees
-risk reward course, the holes were short but very challenging. You would expect to play alot under negative if you look at the hole lengths and the pars, however, you would be suprised how many times you are happy to get a par on a par 4.
-even though its very challenging because of trees the short distance still makes it possible to have a good day.
-birdies are possible on most holes but also unlikely on most holes
-decent flow from hole to hole
-On holes 7,8, and 9 even though you throw along some water there are logs that help you get accross
Cons: -When you get into the trees you might spend a couple throws getting out because the woods are quite dense
-the course can be very challenging and frusturating because of the trees
-there are alot of holes that are very similar dog legs to the left so the course can get a little boring
-not a good mixture of holes, it would be nice to see holes that have a little more distance
-the air at this part smelt pretty bad most of the course
Other Thoughts: Overall I liked the course. It definatly had its weaknesses but there were alot of things to love about it. It is a different style of play from most courses and thats why it would be worth returning to.

extremely tight fairways

1    7/31/2010   8/3/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Course will test your short game/ line shaping abilities to the limit.
You will not find a course anywhere with this short footage, that will still have you saving threes and sometimes fours on holes.
Despite being right next door to the mini golf and pool area, as well as a walking path; this course allows for a nice, secluded feel; due to the denseness of the woods.
As mentioned in other reviews; overhand shots largely negated by foliage. If offered; I would throw tomajunk on many of these types of holes. However, at Summit, this option is largely not offered...and I am proficient at nearly all levels of shots of this type...they're simply not available.
Even when you can find a path through the woods; the finishing lines here; force something that discs just don't normally do. I found this very interesting; and again, will point out that for holes of this length; this style is an ingenious way of keeping scoring realistic. I ended over par and was best in my group of three. I would bet that most players, would have a difficult time scoring under 50% of the time.
Signs basic, but show route and length.
Amount of trees in the fairways here; should allow for vandals to break many trees and still have extremely narrow fairways. I know this sounds kind of crazy, but is one thing designers must contend with....
Activities available for other members of the family in the mini golf area (mini ball golf/not disc). Good amount of people present there, even at closing time (we played very late in the day and finished in the dark).
Cons: Rubber mat tees were very slick on our visit. I have come to the conclusion that this type of tee is one of the worst out there; and footing from tee is not a big deal in my book...but, for those that require plant foot perfection; you will not be happy here, if it's wet at all.
All of the pros could be placed in the con section. I happen to find this style of course to be quite refreshing; Summit is a very unique course; but many will find it to be extremely luck based. There are no clear lines on many fairways; a lot of poke and hope....(I personally think this brings the "can you keep your attitude in check" factor into course design; but that's a preference of mine)
A couple of very scary holes; due to creek/sewer line on the right; are very rhbh bias (#7 and #8). Tough to find fairway as a right hander; lefties would be less than thrilled....These are not the only ones; the course in rhbh bias is general. I would easily see lhbh players down grading this one by .5; for this alone.
A couple other holes with pond (sewer?) in play, again favor rhbh. I went in on one with the reeds and was able to get my disc back, as it was near the edge, but that water was pretty gross. Another member of my crew lost one in their with a grip lock throw....
Some navigational issues. You won't get hopelessly lost; but we did take the wrong direction a couple of times and had to back track to find our way.
Other Thoughts: This course falls into the top ten bizarre courses I've ever played. It's not in the top five; but it is a strange course; forcing very interesting shots. I liked it, primarily for this reason. Overall rating will probably remain low; due to most feeling there is a large "luck" factor, and the rhbh bias. However, if you want to play something different than the norm, and see how to make a course with very short footage, function well regarding scoring; this is a place to hit. I believe, that were I a local, I would find myself here fairly often (may depend how often I was losing plastic in the gross water).
The rhbh bias really does bother me; and almost makes it a 2.5.

The Squeeze.

2-4    6/30/2010   7/1/2010
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: This course has a LOT of technical shot required. It also has some very interesting shots that really make you think before you throw. Definitely a risk and reward course for sure. And I love wooded courses...
Cons: First timer navigation problems and some directional arrows would be a nice touch. Some of the brush can be thick. And the water in the area (which isn't much) is just nasty. And yes my putter went in....
Other Thoughts: All in all, this course was fun. I would definitely play this course again. Im just a big fan of tight technical disc golf sometimes. And risk and reward courses in general.
This course is NOT about super hucks or long bomber shots. Don't make a move on coming out here if you wanna throw bombs.. Its just not that style of course.....The only holes I seemed to have continued difficulty with were Holes 7 & 10. Both were tough for me but not impossible..

Intermediate/Expert

5+    5/24/2010   6/2/2010
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Extremely technical, mostly wooded course. All but a handful of holes are a clinic in missing trees and shaping lines. Tight doglegs and some s-shaped fairways make some holes almost laughable.
- Left, right, and straight mix in individual holes at times. Low tree canopy usually negates any overhand shots.
- A few holes by a narrow stretch of open land offer blind shots from the forest and back into the forest. RHBH hyzers or similar is a must on these holes by a sewer/creek, which is a huge risk for a decent reward.
Cons: - The sewer/creek is some nasty business. It's OK to land over it, as there are some logs to cross over, but I would not want to fish a disc out of there. If I couldn't see it, forget it.
- The open holes, five of them at least, all need a shot that fades left. Even for a RHBH player like me it gets a little repetitive.
- Walking path is present, but is mostly not a factor. Soccer fields also near to a hole, a bad shot could wander pretty close.
- Hard to navigate. Check map out, especially the 17 to 18 walk.
Other Thoughts: - The wooded portions of this course are some of the most intense I have ever seen. Almost to the point of being ridiculous at times. And that's what bumps my rating up to 3. I could see how some people might hate this course for that very reason, up to you.
- Bug spray a must in the warmer months.
- Supposedly a "pro shop" in the mini golf office, never been in there, not sure when/if it is open.

best in Chicago area

1    9/18/2007   9/27/2009
Review By: djphilzy
Pros: Nice and long challenging holes, some tight and some open. There is a little water. I had a great time and a high score at this course. This is not the typical Chicago pitch and put.
Cons: sort of dumpy, garbage around. Sort of swampy
Other Thoughts: Play it if you are in town.

One of a Kind

1    9/11/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: lungtuggler
Pros: Extremely challenging course that tests your ability not only to throw straight as an arrow but also having the precision to thread a whole lotta needles. Not too many newbies or kids. One of the few courses around this area. This is a place I come to learn new shots; tomahawks, rollers, thumbers, etc...If you're in Chicago on vacation or business this is a must play if you're using Midway Airport, its about ten minutes away. All in all this is one of the most challenging courses in Chicagoland and I strongly recommend it to anyone who loves wooded courses.
Cons: Most of the left-fading fairways are very similar. Caters to right-handed backhand throwers. Leftys and sidearms may never play this course twice, but a left-handed sidearm thrower might enjoy it. The trees in the middle of each fairway are very dense and present extremely grueling obstacles and challenges. Holes 1, 9, 12, and 14 require just as much luck as skill with the trees involved. It does occasionally reak in this part of town but you get used to it after 10 minutes. Creek along west side of the course appears to contain sewage! Study the map hard! Drawing a little one for yourself is good for your first time out.
Other Thoughts: The locals here are way better than they're aware of because there isn't much around summit as far as disc golf goes. The challenge of this place is something you take home with you! Truely a course that is one of a kind.