1 Helpful / 3 Not
Beware of the trees
Pros: Decent baskets and tee pads, lots of difficult and challenging shots, lots of fun, varied terrain, good exercise,
Cons: Lots of trees, a handful of holes are literally just throw and pray, impossible with all the skill in the world to be able to intentionally miss all the trees, you can get lucky but nobody is THAT good, but it also keeps and even playing field so could be considered a pro, can get muddy and crowded
Other Thoughts: pretty much THE place to play in the Iowa City area, very popular, fun place overall, great scenery and environment with the Lake being so close
1 of 4 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 8 Not
Pros: Great layout with a lot of risk reward shots. Great landscaping. Great mix of different pin placements. Right by the rez
Cons: can get muddy at times
Other Thoughts: This course just gets better and better every time play it
1 of 9 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 5 Not
fun and chalenging
Pros: good variation in holes (distance, cover/open, doglegs etc) easy to navigate.
Cons: back nine can be exhausting (hills) if you are not used to them. a few holes have elevation drop offs at the treeline which can lead to lost discs if you catch a bad anhyzer.
Other Thoughts: fun course! highly recommended. i regularly took my dog and could keep him off leash without problem (pretty sure it's not allowed though). good privacy, the layout of the course means that you and your group will feel like you have the whole place to your self.
1 of 6 people found this review helpful.
10 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: - the first positive thing that sticks out to me about this course is the signage. all the signs are readable and in good condition, plus they use a nut to show where the pin is currently located. there are also signs between holes to aide in navigation so you can find your way to the next tee
- all teepads are in good shape, and in varying sizes. the teepad on hole 2 is huge
- multiple pin locations on most holes keeps things fresh, some holes have 4-5 different locations!
- variety of wooded shots. i am someone who prefers a wooded setting to a more open one, and turkey does a great job of providing this. there are about 4 or 5 holes that are "open" but still have forest on one side or another
- big turns that will challenge you, tight short fairways that will test your finesse
- well manicured by a devoted community that holds a weekly dubs league. logs set up to line fairways and steps built in many places. awesome job on the little things that make a course sweet
- garbage cans and benches placed at 90% of teepads
- water fountains and bathrooms available on site
Cons: - this is by no means an extremely difficult course, so two-discer traffic is very heavy at most hours of the day
- the first three holes are too close together. every time i play, i hear a fore coming our way by someone teeing off behind us on hole 1 while we are on the pad for hole 2. same with hole 2's pad to hole 3's pad. heads up!
- this con is only applicable for the next three, four, maybe five months, but holes 10 and 11 are currently closed by the ACOE
- some vandalism on benches and signs. not damage, just writing
- a few holes shoot very close to the parking lot and road leading to the course
Other Thoughts: it was hard for me to think of plausible cons for this course. it's a very, very solid setup they have out there. it isn't an epic course, but they do a lot of things out there with design that make it enjoyable to play. this is one course i always want to play two rounds at when i go. definitely worth a play
10 of 11 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 5 Not
Pros: This is a fantastic course I've been playing for years. The front nine is tricky and open, and the back nine is much harder with various elevation and wooded shots. Pin locations are moved frequently. New improvements are being implemented into the course as well.
1) Moved tee pad to make the shot further and no way to cheat over the road, now incorporates two large trees that will eat your lunch.
2) New large decorative stone surround at the pin makes this classical hole even better.
5) Intimidating uphill shot, maybe an epic tomyhawk to get out? Shoot the gap. Also is the classical hole to sit down before the shot and take a break...
7) Anyone want to shoot the pro tee? Lots of trees, pro tee is difficult to say the least.
10) Currently closed, they've cut down hundreds of small trees in order to clean up the hole and plant grass to prevent erosion and too much mud. Already one of the best/hardest holes at Turkey, it will be open again in June and be nice and cleaned up.
11) Same as hole 10, closed for improvement.
12) New tee pad makes the shot further and with a trickier line to try and weave the large trees in the fairway.
13) Beware....One of the hardest on the course, currently at the short pin location making it a little easier, watch out for the far pin location. Raging tomyhawk seems to do the trick if you can shoot the gap.
14) Hey man that was a good shot....oh..oh...oh!!! Its rollin hard! Don't hit the first trees and pray.
17) You take the high road, I'll take the low.
18) Watch out for cars, 5 or 6 different pin locations.
Cons: Kind of muddy right now, but tis the season. It dries up nicely in the summer.
Other Thoughts: Remember to play holes 1 and 2 again to make up for the two closed holes. Holes 10 and 11 will be open in June, next year holes 12 and 13 will be closed until June, they are working through the back nine to plant grass over the next several years
3 of 8 people found this review helpful.
9 Helpful / 1 Not
Fun course, nice setting
Pros: Nice variation of open, semi-open, and wooded holes. Incredible amount of pin possibilities, not sure how often the pin locations change, but one of the holes has five pin placements and a few others have four. Pin placements noted by a bolt thru sign. Though was missing on one or two of the holes when I was there. Looked to be maintained fairly well, which I am sure most of the parks are around the reservoir. There were bathrooms and soda machines that are accessible near start of round, near hole 9, again on 12, and finally on 18. Family friendly park, I saw some younger ones playing here. Hole # 10, this hole is worth coming to the park by itself. I honestly would hit the park if I am in the area just to play this hole. The fairway is raised above a ravine on each side; you throw down in elevation towards a small creek. The "fairway" is littered with large trees that you must try to get through. A very difficult shot, truly a challenge.
Cons: Lots of beer cans and trash. Even though I don't take part, I don't mind when groups have beer or alcohol on courses, please just take care of your cans. Not a lot of cons here. The only hole I didn't like was 16. I think it was the backdrop, which was a park shelter that needed some attention, the hole itself wasn't bad and was challenging, but the shelter was behind the basket and just turned me off.
Other Thoughts: Really like the course and being close to the reservoir didn't hurt. It had been at least 20 years since I had been to the reservoir and brought back some memories for me. I could see that a park like this could get crowded; yes rounds may take longer if the course is packed, but it's worth the wait. I also enjoyed hole 14. It was a left to right shot up a steep hill where the basket was parked (pin position c?). If you can make it through the early trees and get a little height to your throw, you should be sitting good. # 10, see you soon!!
9 of 10 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 2 Not
3) always a good test of one's down hill anhyzer, plenty of obstacles and a vicious ravine to punish shots
4) beautiful drive where overpowering/turning over will cost you big. always a challenge.
5) slight test of accuracy, as the trees atop the hills can be a bit daunting. easy par for all but the worst mistakes
7) speaks for itself. hard L>R shot even from short tees. the longs make you really force a good shot or suffer.
8) moderately open, but still a challenging approach for deuce
9) with all the different pin placements, this one never gets old.
10) holy moses is this one a killer. ravines on both sides, but the left one will cost you at least 2 strokes to get out...its thick AND the hill blocks your view of the basket. when its in the long placement it's quite the entertaining toss and pray.
11) they recently added another route to reach the hole, but it plays across another ravine, making the shot selection a bit trickier.
13) love it or hate it, it's a good hole. plenty of trees to stop you short and 2 really challenging pin placements. beware of rolls!
14) another favorite. thread the needle and find yourself on a fairway slanted 30 degrees to the left.
16) long drive, but still requires some thought; down the tunnel or wide hyzer shot? either one's a risk really.
17) great throw over a ravine...with so-called "high road" to take to avoid the steep climb on the other side
18) challenging long drive bordering the road on the left trees on right. stay in bounds!
all around a ton of fun, and never an easy game to play too far under par.
Cons: 1) boring and short, hyzer shot is way too easy
2) long shot, but easily reachable on a good day without wind, and only one pin placement
12) challenging pin placements but pretty much a straightforward shot
18) ob road's a bit close to the fairway...really beats up your discs
Other Thoughts: TOO MANY busch-light-toting, groups-of-seven-throwing, annoying casuals who won't let others play through.
6 of 8 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 4 Not
Solid start to finish
Pros: Wide variety of hole styles. All distance represented. Hyzers, anhyzers, tight, open, tunnels. Uphill, downhill, flats. Very solid design. Much better than the original 9. Favorite hole: #4
Cons: Starts out a little slow but quickly gets interesting from #3 on. #12 tee pad is unusually short.
Other Thoughts: Redesign of course made this the hands down best track in IC.
1 of 5 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 7 Not
Enjoyable, Fun Course
Pros: Relatively easy course. Open and short front nine, tight and short back nine. A good mixture of short and long holes. Easy to find course close to Iowa City.
Cons: Can be muddy after rain. Can also be very crowded by low-level players. Some rounds can take a very long time. Can be very muggy at times.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is an enjoyable course. As long as it is uncrowded, you can have a quick, enjoyable round. Decent ace chances mixed with longer, more open holes. A must play in the Iowa City area.
1 of 8 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: Very convenient location close to University of Iowa, most of the holes are fairly easy and almost all skills levels can feel comfortable playing there.
Cons: Almost always crowded, so if you don't like waiting you might want to go somewhere else or play at odd times. Some of the tees are old and cracked, #8 is too long, and #12 is way too short...I figured they would just compensate for that, I guess not. Also, some of the pin positions have never been changed, and erosion could be a problem in some spots.
Other Thoughts: I may be a little biased since I played this course almost exclusively for 4 years going to Iowa, but it is a classic easy college course in my mind, and I will always cherish it.
2 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.