Toledo, OH
Ottawa Park Share
Uploaded By: ejvogie Hole #10 (Taken 2/2009)
Hole #10 Pro Tee

ottowa

5+    8/18/2011   8/19/2011
Review By: Dupaloop3611
Pros: Course has 19 baskets and a practice basket. both am and pro teepads.
Cons: No mulch at baskets. dirt and sand get all over your discs around the baskets. Not in the best area. inconsiderate people are always just walking in front of you on the course.
Other Thoughts: this is my local course and ive played it 100 times. it has a lot of simple easy shots.

Toledo's finest Park

5+    12/13/2010   3/28/2011
Review By: Nemer06
Pros: It is the best and only dg course in toledo
a wide variety of shots some with some good distance. there is pro tees
Cons: no course map. not enough trash cans.
gets pretty wet
Other Thoughts: This is overall a great course plus you can alaways find the disc man there selling discs for super cheap just look for his Mini-van around hole 19.

open slopes endangered

1    12/4/2010   12/4/2010
Review By: AKormendi
Pros: -Nice tees. Smooth concrete, with only a few having mudholes in front of them.
-Big scenic trees create texture in a mostly open hillside.
-Two tees for every hole, short tees giving a fun beginner game, longs pretty challenging.
-Trash cans around course, though not at tees.
-Good use of elevation changes. Though the hill the course is built on is pretty mild, you feel like there's a lot slope going on.
-It goes up to 19. It's one bigger isn't it? You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at 18. You're on 18 here, all the way done, all the way done, you're on 18 on your course. Where can you go from there? Where?

This goes to 19.
Cons: -No signage to guide you around outside of the course map at the first tee. A lot of opportunities to get confused as to which is the next shot. The baskets are a little crammed together at some places, too, exacerbating this. In addition, the painted spokes on the baskets to guide you to the next tee are completely wrong at some spots. If you're used to these clues, be warned. The flow isn't bad if you know your way around, but if we hadn't had guides, there would definitely have been a little backtracking.
-Not a very technical course. Most shots are pretty wide open, giving nearly unlimited options on the lines.
-Crowded. The course is surrounded on all sides by city and roads. Wild armed newbies may run into some trouble, throw carefully. Lots of people out here, too, even in December. This didn't slow playing, but its certainly something to watch out for.
-Trash. Some from disc golfers, others just from the local city folk. But there's a bunch, and it may cause the course to get shut down.
Other Thoughts: This course made for a fun daytrip, combined with some of the other nice courses in the area. While it wasn't super challenging, or packed with amenities, nor the most scenic, it was a very solid course. A lot of opportunities to throw beautiful shots in a new place and watch them fly. The people were very helpful in guiding us around the course, and the path taken was an interesting route around the space. I'm glad to see Toledo citizens have a good training course, and I hope it remains there. There was a sign posted warning that the city was considering closing the park due to litter. While I went through the course I easily filled my side pocket of my bag with litter, twice. I wish I could say the same about our guides. Regardless, it was minimal effort, and made the place a little nicer. Hopefully enough other concerned disc golfers will do the same. Honestly, a lot of the trash did not seem your typical disc golf refuse (alcohol, beverages, cigarette butts, snack wrappers) and I would be dismayed to see the course lost because of the uncaring ways of the local citizenry. It didn't seem too bad a most places, though, so hopefully the sign is having enough effect to save the park.

Also, if you didn't get the Spinal Tap reference in the Pros section: shame on you.

In great shape

5+    11/16/2010   11/16/2010
Review By: hooked312
This review was updated on 12/15/2010
Pros: - Well maintained by the city, always cutting the grass and collecting leaves.
- Fun open course with birdie holes throughout, mixed with some more challenging holes.
- Very hard to lose a disc, unless you shank one out of site, or into some high evergreens.
- They have added some dirt behind a few tee pads to extend their length.
- New Warm-up Basket located by the first tee.
Cons: - Sketchy neighborhood, but I have never had any problems.
- Navigation can be tricky for first time players. The 8th basket to 9th hole is not well marked.
- Can get busy during early afternoon 4-7pm during the summer.
- With surrounding tennis courts and playgrounds very close to the course be careful.
Other Thoughts: - Not the greatest looking course, but a great course to get a few rounds in without exhausting yourself walking miles and miles.

good gone bad

2-4    8/24/2010   8/28/2010
Review By: bthoma1
Pros: nice course with multiple teepads, good for all.
good mix of shots, I ended up throwing about everything but a roller.
Inside park so there are a lot of things to do after/before your round.
Tennis court and a playground and I think I even saw a basketball court.
Practice basket and bonus hole
Really liked how the little elevation was used nicely.
Cons: So when you get there, They have a sign about a litter problem. Also something about pulling the course?? But there really aren't many garbage cans throughout the course.
Navigation was a big problem, If I didn't take a picture of the map at the beginning with my phone I wouldn't have played it right
No numbers on baskets.
#19 is fun but could be bad as I was there one day. Three discs went into the road and Even seen a car hit. But not a big deal
No tee signs, a few holes had a little plastic piece on the pad that said the distance. But there was also a hole that said 212ft and was 350+
Other Thoughts: So there is a random abandoned house on the course. Would be nice to buy that and live there right? To bad I'd be divorced then

This really could be a nice course. They just need to work on a few things.
Navigation was a huge problem, have arrows or stones in the ground pointing the way.
Add numbers to the baskets, all of them.
Teesigns would be nice
A few garbage cans wouldn't hurt
The Shed provides scorecards
Wish I lived closer. the local league should get together or have some fundraising events to hook this place up

MECCA***City 'Til I Die!

2-4    6/1/2012   4/5/2010
Review By: bygwyllay
This review was updated on 6/28/2012
Pros: OK OK so to call this course "Mecca" is a bit of a stretch, but that's certainly what it felt like, trekking down from J-town to play. And I wasn't alone. Literally a hundred golfers there to play, and not once were we slowed down. The atmosphere was something to behold. Despite what other reviewers have said, the park was extremely clean and everyone very friendly. The holes varied enough to keep the course fresh, and there were two additional holes in for the doubles tournament that was going on (did I mention no wait?!).

***update***
Got to play this course on a drizzly Friday afternoon, and it was quite a contrast from the overpopulated sea of people I encountered on my last trip down.

I was able to get a better feel for the terrain and layout, and I came away impressed. Elevation changes and O.B. areas are the main challenges here, as this city park has mature oaks and pines and a fairly clean underbelly.

Concrete tees were in good shape and they had changed up a couple holes so the old cement was still around - a good sign that they are keeping things fresh. Dual tees on most holes, too.

Some darn good lines for a city course, especially as the course moves along. One or two errant throws and you will be paying for your mistake. I wasn't expecting such a challenge from the looks of things driving in.
Cons: It is kinda ghetto on the one side of the course, but there weren't any issues with that. Some of the tee pads were short. Not much elevation change throughout, although the last two or three holes took advantage of what was there. Not many hazards (is that a con?)

***update***
Main complaint is signage. There isn't any. There's a nice big sign at the beginning of the round, but that's it. And since the whole course plays through one big plot of land, there isn't a natural guideline to follow. I play with one of the locals who knows his home course very well, but without him I would be lost. There isn't even a distinction between pro and am tees, and without tribal knowledge it would be a pain to navigate.

Several holes nearly overlap. A few times you are staring at a group of people that look like they are aiming straight for your teepad. Again, without local guidance, I would've aimed at the wrong pin several times. (Actually, I did, but he corrected me).
Other Thoughts: I guess the course was just recently modified. Apparently the park guys went in and cut down a bunch of trees that made it challenging, so the designer pulled all the pins (except for three) and moved them to new locations. I wish I would have been able to play the old course, so I had a comparison. The holes were a lot of fun regardless. The grass was green and the sky was blue. I wish Cass Benton was more maintaned, like this course. Despite the amount of traffic everyone was having a good time and they should turn that boarded up house by 15 into a Throw Shop. Or a bar. Or both. Recommended golfing!

***update***
The extra holes were gone and that was fine. I would say Ottawa Park's sister course would be Begg Park in Springfield, MI. Both city parks that are cared for and are a step above the standard fare. Ottawa gets the nod here because of the local scene.

bring cold weather gear

1    12/12/2008   12/13/2008
Review By: ericjones
Pros: all of the holes are short and fairly easy. lots of trees for good obsticles

Cons: playing in 27 degree weather is tough. your plastic bounces more on the frozen ground so lay ups can be tricky

the group of people that i played with told me that you need to watch your back in the summer time. they almost were robbed last year. best thing is to go in larger groups.

Split Second Decision

1    7/23/2008   10/13/2008
Review By: PNovak22
This review was updated on 1/5/2009
Pros: We happened to be in the Toledo area one weekend happening to have our discs with us we decided to check it out. Ottawa Park was a very well laid out course with a great variety of shots. The course seemed pretty clean and everyone seemed to be pretty nice.
Cons: The course was kind of hard to follow for being our first time. We had to ask a few times to make sure that we were throwing at the right baskets, and a couple of time we weren't. Oh well, still fun i guess.